As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: Half the ponies, twice the excitement! Season 5 in Spring 2015!!!

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    YAY! Our first official word on Season 5 is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq7QXnFCq-E

Looks like we've got about a four month wait left ahead of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39S3dLDEbYs

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    We also would have accepted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Azz-6oT08c

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Two more preview pages for this week's MLP comic has shown up over at Equestria Daily. You can find them in the box below.
    9aLwSYJ.jpgLyTrvVl.jpg

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    JgFPXXh.png

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    "Everypony in this town is afraid of a cow?"

"Bull"

"I think that was uncalled for."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I get so confused when cards just say Friend. Why can't they say opponent's Friend?
    So you can play it on your own friend. More uses that way.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    tumblr_nf8a560r381tdc89ao1_1280.png

Shining's robo-arm-backstory continues at Steamquestria.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Who wants an absolutely absurd mountain of compiled card spoilers? Leading off with two new manes, including the Derped One herself.
    63wahKh.jpg
    eax5pGF.jpg
    qYNaJre.jpg
    WLEFSqs.jpg
    gjfV5O2.jpg
    KWJ91oZ.jpg
    q2pvFWC.jpg
    sT691No.jpg
    RxinREF.jpg
    GMyqATj.jpg
    8vKfonH.jpg
    zff8b8z.jpg
    MIm7cdk.jpg
    WZVWsbw.jpg
    oEqFsQR.jpg

The new Manes look slow as all get out. Spike I can't fathom why anyone would run. He feels like a slower, less useful Monstrous Manual. Derpy is without a doubt super powerful, but without some tricks up your sleeve flipping her looks to be challenging. Also, Derpy kills the OTK decks dead if she manages to flip. But that's a race that's yet to be tested...

Overall it looks like Enterplay are trying to force the game to be far more thoughtful, in terms of giving players more tricks and setting up more mindgames. I'm hoping this breaths some new life into the game as a whole (My LGS stopped having tournaments altogether due to dwindling interest). Also, don't forget that the Pre-Release is this weekend!

Lastly, I just have to say: Full marks for flavor on that Trixie card.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Do the tournament rules still cut the game off when it's only halfway through?

jothki on
  • Options
    My experiences with the games are that the rules differ depending on location. Most generally what I've encountered is the standard MtG rules, where if time is called in the middle of a game, you have 5 or so turns to complete the game. If no winner is declared after five turns, that game is a draw.

But, again, it's ultimately up to the location as to how they want to enforce going to time.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Did the CMC main ever get fully spoiled? I honestly forget.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    I feel like they want to slow the environment down, at least for the blistering fast mane flips like Dj, but as long as Dj remains legal and without errata they won't be able to slow things down nearly that much. If you can get a fast flip on Derpy maybe, but that's HEAVILY dependent on what you draw (including the event that adds a counter to a card that already has a counter on it). It also kills a lot more than One Pace/One Shot, Ploofy Critters suffers from a flipped Derpy, as does Bowling, probably more that I'm not thinking of right now. Maybe Maudlike?

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Did the CMC main ever get fully spoiled? I honestly forget.
    nope, that's the only spoiler I'm waiting for.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    I feel like they want to slow the environment down, at least for the blistering fast mane flips like Dj, but as long as Dj remains legal and without errata they won't be able to slow things down nearly that much. If you can get a fast flip on Derpy maybe, but that's HEAVILY dependent on what you draw (including the event that adds a counter to a card that already has a counter on it). It also kills a lot more than One Pace/One Shot, Ploofy Critters suffers from a flipped Derpy, as does Bowling, probably more that I'm not thinking of right now. Maybe Maudlike?
    Yes I heard they're trying to slow down, hence the crappy Crystal Games manes.

Against Maud, they're changing villians to also exhaust mane cards. For DJ, they're giving her more powerful pink cards so she stays powerful forever I guess :|

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    We have one side of the CMC, thanks to a promotional image they released. It had to be blown up, so the text is super crap, and it's only the non-boosted side, but here's what we have:

QYOWwlk.jpg
    Home Limit 3
    When you confront a Problem, put a Crusade counter on this card. Then, if there are at least 5 Crusade counters on this card, remove them and turn it over.

Given that they are also type Unicorn, Earth Pony, and Pegasus, they have the potential to really be useful with the Teamwork mechanic. But without counter manipulation they feel really, really slow regardless of what the boosted side is going to be.

The game sure does feel like they're trying to slow it down, but I have to agree that such an effort is kind of pointless. Unless they outright ban other manes, the Crystal Games manes feel really durdley. Even Fluttershy: Friend to the Animals is going to be outracing those manes. Heck, even Luna: Dreamcatcher is an easier flip. Counter manipulation is certainly a thing, but it's a thing that requires card slots and resources, and in the current environment DJ just feels too powerful to overcome with these new manes.

Of course, it's hard to know the exact impact without seeing the the rest of the set. There are a number of other wrinkles that could be added to this situation. I wonder if we're going to see a card that forces a boosted mane back to its start side at some point. That wouldn't be a solution, but it's a mechanic I keep anticipating regardless.

• Options
    You guys reminded me about the CCG. I wanna play too but have no one to play with. D:

I give it like...5 years for Enterplay to do a MLP CCG App or something. Give em all the bits IF done right.

• Options
    You know Riokenn, I'm on the east coast now...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm feeling the same way, given that my LGS has been canceling tournaments due to lack of participation. Hopefully Crystal Games sparks some interest again, and we can all find some good folks to play the game with! Alternatively, Skype games and stuff like that are possibilities, if anyone is interested.

A way to legit play it online would be great, but sadly I don't think that's going to be in the cards any time soon. Considering how massively complicated MtGO is to make and maintain, I'm not sure that Hasbro/Enterplay would want to put the resources into an online version (the game is already kinda niche, and the dev team feels understaffed). But damn, I really do want it, even if it's a pipe dream.

Getting more spoilers today, including a new keyword.
    http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/11/mlp-ccg-crystal-games-new-keyword.html
    Your Prismatic characters also have the colors of all your other Crystal characters. For example, if you have a Prismatic character in play with two Crystal characters who are Blue and Pink, that Prismatic character is also Blue and Pink in addition to its normal color.

Rainbow%2BDash%2C%2BCrystallized.jpg
    Crystal%2BGuard%2C%2BOn%2BDuty.jpg
    Bright%2BSmile%2C%2BOne%2Bof%2Bthe%2BGang.jpg
    VrNxgdt.jpg
    oX9URNJ.jpg
    uet0fOF.jpg
    43ZL0S8.jpg

Prismatic looks interesting. Combo players are going to love that, particularly with Twilight from Celestial Solstice and some of the multicolor promo cards. Five color decks are going to be a thing, I think.

Also, Biff - There we go with returning a mane to a start side. I'm wondering how useful that really is, particularly since the easy to flip manes stay easy to flip in the later game. DJ and Fluttershy don't really care about being returned to the start side, since boosting them is trivial. Meanwhile, this card makes it even less appealing to run the counter-based, slow flipping manes.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yup. Hate to say how neck-beardy I'm being right now, but I'm literally sick to the stomach at the moment and I blame the Biff card killing the 11 months of anticipation I had at making a CMC Mane deck, 5 days from prerelease.

I don't know if I'll buy a box or boxes anymore. Teamwork better have something broken that CMC can utilize unflipped or I can't make a deck.

hmmmmmmmmmmm then again this can be some dumb collaboration type of thing. Biff won't do anything to the current OP manes like DJ, Maud, or Fluttershy. So why would anyone run it? So since no one will be running it, the CMC (and Derpy/Spike/Cadence) are safe, I guess?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    oh yeah that one's great (all the fluffle puffs are great tho)

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    oh yeah that one's great (all the fluffle puffs are great tho)

The fact that for Big Sis she has taken the time to actually translate her speak into Unitology is amazing. But then again I say this as a Dead Space fan who tried to translate the wall scrawls to unlock the cheat codes.

• Options
    Oh it's legit translated? neat.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    If you're completely new, and want the currently super good mane card, also buy the Maud Pie/ DJ Pon3 starter set. DJ Pone is super good right now.

Otherwise, set 2 (centerlot nights) and set 3 coming out soon (crystal games) should have Mane characters in random packs as Uncommon rarity cards. So you don't have to buy anything other than a box.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Oh it's legit translated? neat.

Yep
    unitology_translator_no__1_by_zombieinfect10-d3adt93.jpg
    In her first comic appearance she refers to Fluffle Puff as Little Moon. Which if it means anything...Fluffle Puff must never awaken. EVER!!!!

• Options
    I wonder how OP a CMC mane that had it split into three 1-power manes when it flips would be. Individually not too powerful, but they could cover a lot of ground and might have different abilities on each. Or be different colors.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I wonder how OP a CMC mane that had it split into three 1-power manes when it flips would be. Individually not too powerful, but they could cover a lot of ground and might have different abilities on each. Or be different colors.

I don't know anything about the game but that sounds really cool

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    0mraaXp.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I love how Twilight is reading a book ostensibly on how to remove tree branches.

Also, we now have a complete list of Crystal Games card names (not spoilers, just names). It's huge, so clickthrough here. Interesting notes: UR Derpy friend as "Backup Racer", UR Cadance and Shining Armor Mane as "Fastball Special", Breezie versions of all Mane 6.

• Options
    Nooooo damnit. Stop making me want to get cards. D:
    Nocren wrote: »

Near NY or CT?

• Options
    I love how Twilight is reading a book ostensibly on how to remove tree branches.

Also, we now have a complete list of Crystal Games card names (not spoilers, just names). It's huge, so clickthrough here. Interesting notes: UR Derpy friend as "Backup Racer", UR Cadance and Shining Armor Mane as "Fastball Special", Breezie versions of all Mane 6.

Although apparently they're doing another secret 000 card like Flutterbats from CN, so who knows what that'll be.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Pony comics for February 2015!

1M3iIql.jpg
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #28
    Katie Cook (w) • Andy Price (a) • Price, Sara Richard (c)
    "The Root of the Problem" Part 2! Twilight and friends journey to the heart of Everfree Forest to find out what has been causing its inhabitants to flee. What they find can only mean trouble for Ponyville!
    FC • 32 pages • $3.99
    •Everfree Forest explored like never before!
    •Variant Cover by Mary Bellamy!

KtBCUg8.jpg
    My Little Pony: Friends Forever #14
    Jeremy Whitley (w) • Agnes Garbowska (a) • Amy Mebberson (c)
    When a dragon problem in Fillydelphia threatens to get out of hand, Luna enlists Spike's help to find a peaceful solution. There are many suspects and no easy answers as both Spike and Luna must admit to personal shortcomings in order to find the true culprit.
    FC • 32 pages • $3.99

dWqH7Zu.jpg
    ("That reminds me... How's your mom, Spike?")
    My Little Pony: Friends Forever #14—Subscription Variant
    Jeremy Whitley (w) • Agnes Garbowska (a & c)
    FC • 32 pages • $3.99
    •Fan-favorites Princess Luna & Spike!

wAmGefi.jpg
    My Little Pony: Adventures in Friendship, Vol. 2 HC
    Ted Anderson, Bobby Curnow, Alex De Campi (w) • Ben Bates, Brenda Hickey, Carla Speed McNeil (a) • Sara Richard (c)
    The adventures continue with these tales of fun and friends! Featuring one-shots about Pinkie Pie and Applejack, plus a third story of the two friends entering a baking contest!
    HC • FC • $9.99 • 76 pages • 6" x 9" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-225-8
    •Great for kids!

Also, comic issue #25 was out today - And as well as the funny main Cook/Price story, it has two Katie Cook one-pagers, and a great three page Zecora story from Sara Richard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Friendship is Dragons is still kicking along. Getting better, too, imo. Last couple of arcs have been pretty good.

57fa197d282f6fb64b86d2558ef484e0353895144.png

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I'm catching up on that, but am a few hundred pages behind still. I have a custom RSS feed of it that sends me 3 pages a day, so I'll get there soon enough.

• Options
    Today's card spoilers (I'm sorry, Riokenn)!
    KS8zYg7.png
    OKgRl3p.jpg
    tNtV1Xf.jpg
    aNNQx2e.jpg
    Ponyville-Mailbox.jpg
    Backup-Racer-Substitute-Flier.jpg
    hiwdUOJ.jpg

These crystal ponies are going to make the game nuts. Not to mention complicated. This is shaping up to be an interesting set.

Also, Cadance looks like she's going to be a considerable impediment to Control players. Of course, she's a color that people don't much play, and she's pretty costly... But, oh wait, she's an Alicorn, so you can get her for free with the right cards.

• Options
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Nooooo damnit. Stop making me want to get cards. D:
    Nocren wrote: »

Near NY or CT?

Kinda? I mean it's NC, but it's not like it's as far away as CA was.

Granted from the map I'm guessing I-95 is just as much of a pain as I-5 is if not more...

But it's essentially the same as going to see my family when I lived there (about a 10-12 hour drive).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Also I love that detective Luna/Spike alt cover.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Man, the season five teaser really drives home how much of the ongoing story has been pushed by Hasbro meddling.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Man, the season five teaser really drives home how much of the ongoing story has been pushed by Hasbro meddling.

"Don't forget to check out all the sweet new Princess Twilight merch, or the Fleshreaper will getcha!"

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.