As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2015 - The Restaurant/Food Thread

imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in PAX East
I found last year's thread to be very helpful and thought I would get the ball rolling again by sharing a few of my favorite stops from PAX 2014. If this takes off I will compile a spreadsheet of recommendations and edit it in to this post.

Without further ado...

Al's Cafe on State Street - This is far and away the best value meal of PAX. $8.50 gets you a SIXTEEN inch sub sandwich. They do not skimp on the meat and you will probably not be able to finish it in one go. This stretches into two meals for me and at that price it is a no brainer given the alternatives.

Boloco - This is Boston's version of Chipotle, only they have amazing variety: Thai; masala; buffalo; mango salsa; etc... I was so sad to leave Boston last year because it meant no more Boloco.

Hei La Moon - No PAX would be complete without a trip to Chinatown for some dim sum. If you're unfamiliar with dim sum think tapas served by drive-by waiters. The waiters will roll by with strange and unknown carts of food. They let you know what they have, give them a nod, and poof all of a sudden POOF you're neck deep in crispy rooster's feet. Not all of the food is that exotic but there is plenty to try. I am not a very adventurous eater and I loved it. The best part is that it is also very inexpensive. Lunch for two worked out to about $25 including tip last year.

faPgNTD
imnotalawyer on

• casstronautcasstronaut Boston, MARegistered User regular
    any beer- and/or meat-lovers staying closer to downtown should try the Salty Pig. i'm a vegetarian and still love it.

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Great idea! Even for those who plan to stay within Fort Point (the areas around the BCEC), the area is an ever-growing hub of food and drink for the city.

Sweetgreen - on Congress St., about a 10 minute walk from the BCEC. Great fresh seasonal salads and they offer to-go. Ended up going there twice last year because it was just so fast, convenient, and tasty.

Blue Dragon. Ming Tsai is considered one of the most influential chefs in the Boston area and has been a cornerstone of its food scene for almost 20 years. Modern Asian-inspired fare, this is a sure pick for anyone looking for a bit of upscale cuisine. Reservations may be tight, but Blue Dragon also offers to-go. If I can get the time, this will be my most anticipated meal for the upcoming PAX East.

Not open yet, the second brick-and-mortar location for The Bon Me Food Truck crew should be on Congress Street by this coming PAX East. If it's anything like their other properties it'll be a big hit. Vietnamese food centered around four possible forms: sandwich, rice bowl, salad, and noodle salad. You customize from there, choosing protein and other fillings. There's a few staples and a few new ones every so often. Quick, delicious, and cheap is hard to beat.

5I7JEDi.png
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I mostly ate at the center last year however I did go to fire and ice one night great food there and you can load up it is a lil expensive seeing that you have to pay for a taxi ride there and then also for the food all in all taxi ride and food it was like 35 after tip for myself. I wanted to check out the brewery last year but never got around to it maybe I will check it out this year

• oAwesomeAndrewoAwesomeAndrew Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    No Name Restaurant is definitely a must if you're a fan of seafood. A bit pricey but definitely worth it.

oAwesomeAndrew on
    Is it March 2015, yet?
  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    No Name restaurant is definitely a must if you're a fan of seafood. A bit pricey but definitely worth it.
    I went there. We ordered like a bunch of stuff on the menu for our group. HUGE bill but very very good.

• KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    I haven't been to No Name but The Barking Crab is pretty decent imo and isn't too far from the BCEC.

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    any beer- and/or meat-lovers staying closer to downtown should try the Salty Pig. i'm a vegetarian and still love it.

Absolutely love The Salty Pig. Second the recommendation.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • OfficeZombieOfficeZombie Registered User regular
    Have to say, anyone going to be around Fanueil Hall looking for Pizza I liked Bertucci's last year. That was some great pizza

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    Tip if you are going to go to the whiskey priest or the other sports bar right next to the world trade center (two of the closest places to the convention). Get there before 5:30pm. As the expo hall is closing, the wait for a table blows up. You can have like a 45 minute difference wait time if you get there at 6pm as opposed to 5pm

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    DanQ wrote: »
    Tip if you are going to go to the whiskey priest or the other sports bar right next to the world trade center (two of the closest places to the convention). Get there before 5:30pm. As the expo hall is closing, the wait for a table blows up. You can have like a 45 minute difference wait time if you get there at 6pm as opposed to 5pm

That's a good tip for pretty much everything in the area. Frankly, it's best to always have a secondary pick close by. Last year Papagayo (mexican restaurant down the street from BCEC) was a 45-90 minute wait from 4pm through closing every day of the convention.

5I7JEDi.png
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I loved Fanueil Hall, so many choices under one roof so everyone can get what they want. I always get mmmac and cheese, its delicious.

Salvatore's Pizza is also lovely and close by just on the waterfront. Saying that, the bcec offer a food cart service for nearby restaurants which is like a shuttle bus. We got that there couple years back but walked it last time, as it was warmer.

Lucky's had amazing brunch when I went in 2013, great atmosphere too.

I stayed in Back Bay the first two years but we still take the T there to go to Shaws. Its a great grocery shop with a food to go counter too, we pick up snacks and drinks for the week.

We went to Empire I think it was called, someone correct me if I'm wrong, for the 2k party this year, such a great bar and real tasty asian food. I'd imagine its pretty pricy though but luckily it was all free with the party.

Also South station has a few fast food options in one place which is pretty good. McDs, a pretzels place, place that does sandwiches, an Asian food place, cheeseboy and a few others.

Also if you are in the back bay area, the prudential has a good food court.

That's my 5 pence.

pax%20sig.png
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yume Wo Katare - the most authentic Japanese ramen shop you'll find on the east coast. Only serves a single dish, a fatty pork ramen soup, only open for dinner, no takeout, and a few miles from PAX, but it's the best ramen on the entire east coast, including NYC.
    http://yumewokatare.com/

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    Direwolf wrote: »
    DanQ wrote: »

That's a good tip for pretty much everything in the area. Frankly, it's best to always have a secondary pick close by. Last year Papagayo (mexican restaurant down the street from BCEC) was a 45-90 minute wait from 4pm through closing every day of the convention.

Yea that's why I'll go out for lunch, but for dinner I'll either just get the convention center food to save time, or bring canned fruit and power bars, nuts and other food like that in my backpack.

• cB00giecB00gie Registered User new member
    Direwolf wrote: »

Just want to pile on the love for Papagayo. So good I'm looking forward to eating there again this year.

• mordo212mordo212 Registered User regular
    I love the poor house near Copley mall. Great food good prices

• shepdshepd Registered User regular
    I find this useful if you're looking for food that isn't within easy walking distance:

http://static.ow.ly/docs/DINING IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD TROLLEY PROGRAM_cb1.pdf

Each year the BCEC has operated a free trolley service that will take you to and from various restaurant destinations.

• deestardeestar [E]nforcer PAXEast Vermont Registered User regular
    The lunch trolley is really great - esp if you are vegetarian or have dietary restrictions (diabetic, gluten sensitive, food allergies etc) simply because the BCEC vendors don't really offer a lot if you have food issues even if it is just being picky about food.. While having access to chips, soda, and french fries is great you can't really live off them for 3-5 days .. another issue is BCEC is not really cost effective.
    My first PAX (before we discovered the trolley) I spent 17 dollars at the food court for what was essentially a microwaved pasta dinner, veggie side, a roll, and drink. The next day after we found out about the trolley I spent 25 dollars at the No-Name Seafood restaurant for a baked seafood dinner, with veg, starch, dinner rolls, and a drink and had food leftover for dinner.

The trolley usually does most of Boston's most popular restaurants including most of the one's already mentioned in this thread, also in Boston restaurants tend to be clustered together so there are usually other restaurants in easy walking distance of drop points beyond the one's they officially drop people off at.

If you like seafood, No Name Seafood, Crab Pot, and Legal Seafood are all great although Legal Seafood is pretty pricey. I recommend the buffalo scallops at the Crab Pot that is what I had year before last and they were excellent.

Another recommendation if you like Chinese is Pearls .. they are excellent

• Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    This might sound silly but has anyone tried Grubhub delivering to a hotel? It is not available in my area but I've herd about it before and thought it might be an option.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I believe many people use grubhub for pax east. I think I used it once last year even.

• EagleAlphaXEagleAlphaX New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I was a big fan of the Black Rose. My friends and I had dinner there before the Pokecrawl last year. It's over by Fanueil Hall, so it may not be ther best idea if you are trying to grab something quick and get back to the BCEC.

wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    My regular lunch place is the Falafel King on Summer Street, mostly for the lamb shawarma.

I would stay away from Al Capone's, or at least let me warn you that their pasta dishes are adequate at best. Their subs are supposed to be pretty good, but I've always gone to Al's Cafe (different place) for a sub at lunch.

A recommendation of Al's Cafe is worth repeating again.

There's a Chipotle or Boloco on pretty much every corner, so you'd have a harder time not finding one of those.

Over in the Four Point area, I definitely recommend the Kobe Beef Sliders at Lucky's Lounge. Yes, the entrance looks shady as all get-out, and you honestly might have a hard time finding it even standing right in front of it (if you Google street view the address, it's the entrances with the iron gates and octagonal window). I've never been on Sinatra night, but I've wanted to ever since I first heard of it.

If you're still thirsty for a cocktail or two after that, I can recommend both Drink or Blue Dragon.

And if you're interested in checking out the food trucks around the city, I suggest you check out the city's food truck page. Seriously, not a single work day goes by without seeing a Bon Me box at the office around lunch time.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    yes, I've been meaning to post something in this thread about foodler (which is basically like grubhub but I greatly prefer foodler). it's a really great way to eat decent affordable food while paxing. there's more than 80 places to choose from if you're in the city (last I checked) and that includes both regular takeout places and full-fledged restaurants that use delivery services. they will absolutely deliver to your hotel. it's such a great option for decent food without going far or spending a lot.

(and no, I don't work for them, I just use it a lot and really like it!)

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Everyone should go to the harpoon brewery and get beer and a pretzel with peanut butter sauce, literally the best pretzel I've ever had.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    ya i planned on going there last year but just never got there will prob try and go this year

• surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I usually hit up J Pace for lunch at some point during the weekend, as it's within walking distance of the convention.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    mordo212 wrote: »
    Deals at the Pour House that are worth mentioning:
    Thursdays 6-10pm: Half-price Mexican (decent chimichangas)
    Saturdays 6-10pm: Half-price Stately Burgers (I'm talking $2.50 for a decent burger and fries)
    Tuesdays 6-10pm: Buck-Buck-and-a-half ($2.50) chicken plates

More near South Station, there is the South Street Diner, which I am a HUGE fan of. They are located next to the bus terminal. They don't have anything amazing or that will blow your socks off, but they are a low-cost, 24 hour diner (only one I know of in Boston). Nothing beats breakfast for dinner after midnight. Did I mention they also sell beer?

Jacob Wirth's is also a favorite of mine. Fantastic German food with a great beer selection. It's located on Stuart St. near Tremont.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    So, how exactly does the food trolley work? The 'official' site had even less info than here, heh. So you basically hop on at the BCEC, it takes you to the general vicinity of restaurants, you go in and eat, then go outside and wait for it to come back? (I'm the type of person to Google Street view it when going to say, a new dr's office in the next town over, so, I like to KNOW THINGS :D)

qtjvjrS.png
  • pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    No Name Restaurant is definitely a must if you're a fan of seafood. A bit pricey but definitely worth it.

We went last year. Actually, considering the portion size, etc, I didn't think the prices were bad at all. It's def a no frills kinda place. This is a jeans and sweatshirt, get your hands dirty, really good food kinda place. Wife and I really liked it, and we'll be back next year!

We also did Legal Seafood test, which is the exact opposite kinda place (at least on Friday night!). Much more dressy (not suit and tie, but much more "dressed to impress"), very upscale, relatively expensive place..but the food was amazing!! Definitely a nice romantic night out with my lady. :)

Our third night we ate at a little bar called Sidebar, where the Wildstar Community party was. It was decent bar food, but nothing amazing.

I needa find a decent bbq joint somewhere near the BCEC this year. And we wanna try out Lucky's Lounge....we had an ressie there that we ended up cancelling to get to Sidebar early.

OH, and we did the Sunday Brunch at Cafe Fleuri on Sunday. If you want an hour or two away from the con on Sunday (OR you want to hit their chocolate buffet on Saturday), it was worth every penny. Holy cow, so much good food!!

pilferk on
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    lauren0rz wrote: »
    So, how exactly does the food trolley work? The 'official' site had even less info than here, heh. So you basically hop on at the BCEC, it takes you to the general vicinity of restaurants, you go in and eat, then go outside and wait for it to come back? (I'm the type of person to Google Street view it when going to say, a new dr's office in the next town over, so, I like to KNOW THINGS :D)

That's generally how it works yeah. You'll get on the trolley that's headed to the area you're planning on eating in, and the driver will drop you close to your restaurant of choice. They'll tell you where they tend to pick people up afterwards and when they'll be back around the area. Enjoy your meal, head to the pickup point, hop on board and return to the glory that is PAX.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • casstronautcasstronaut Boston, MARegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    yes, I've been meaning to post something in this thread about foodler (which is basically like grubhub but I greatly prefer foodler). it's a really great way to eat decent affordable food while paxing. there's more than 80 places to choose from if you're in the city (last I checked) and that includes both regular takeout places and full-fledged restaurants that use delivery services. they will absolutely deliver to your hotel. it's such a great option for decent food without going far or spending a lot.

(and no, I don't work for them, I just use it a lot and really like it!)

i second Foodler. it's amazing.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

And they've got sweet potato tater tots. Divine!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular

And they've got sweet potato tater tots. Divine!

Welp, I'm sold.

SK3ozR5.png
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    As usual, I'm going to suggest Yankee Lobster if you're looking for seafood and don't mind walking just a bit father than the Legal Seafood's test kitchen. It's a very small place so sometimes the wait is a bit on the long side and you'll have to stalk tables to get a place to sit, but their food is great. Mostly typical fried seafood but also has wraps, sandwiches, and soup/chowder.

J Pace and Sons is also within walking distance and does sandwiches and subs to order, plus regular convenience store offerings such as fruit cups, drinks, etc. It's so satisfying to take a sub to go from there and eat it while waiting in line for a panel or the concerts.

Metro Food - discovered this place last year and it was great! Made to order sandwiches with TONS of choices (sprouts, omg), would be a great option for vegetarians/vegans. They also have premade sushi, desserts, bottled drinks, etc. Has a cafeteria feel to it. Downside: only open Monday-Friday.

UyhWici.png
  • akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    The Flour Bakery - I hate to disclose of this place because it's fairly close to the convention center and the sandwiches are simply outstanding. The lines are already long from Boston residents in the morning, but its totally worth it. Sometimes I buy enough food for the entire day and leave it at the BYOC area.

• EradiKateEradiKate Registered User regular
    Mon Tien in Chinatown served me the tastiest shrimp pad thai I've ever tasted. It was fairly reasonably priced, too.

PAX East Attendee. Professional Tabletop Gamer. Donut Enthusiast.
  • GenEdGenEd Registered User regular
    Indian Restaurant right in the theater district called Tantric Indian Bistro. Price range: $21-30. Very very good indian food, but place fills up rather quickly b/c of it.

• mpurekampureka Registered User regular
    Xinh Xinh in Chinatown for Pho and other Vietnamese fare.

Gene's Chinese Flatbread Cafe for hand pulled noodles (The shop is tiny and not much to look at, but very good.) Closed Sunday though.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Juju introduced me to Bonchon last year. It's AMAZING. Not near the con, but definitely worth a $2 T fare.

(Those of us on the West Coast don't have any of these yet)

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • mpurekampureka Registered User regular
    Juju introduced me to Bonchon last year. It's AMAZING. Not near the con, but definitely worth a $2 T fare.

The situation has changed since last year! The place to go for Korean Fried Chicken this year is now Crave: Mad for Chicken, which is both better and way closer. I can't speak for their other Korean offerings though, so if you're in the mood for something kimchi, Bonchon might still be the better bet.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

If you want to eat things and do stuff around boston, I highly recommend a week-long charlie pass just so you don't have to stress trying to coordinate travel. One of my friends didn't have one out of the entire group and a few times he ended up being left on his own for dinner because he had no way to get to where we wanted to go. It's well worth the $20 or whatever.