As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That's weird. Empty page.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Harry Potter has assured that any combination of red/maroon and yellow I see will forever be accompanied by the thoughts "Go, Gryphandor".

What the fuck is a Gryphandor?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Harry Potter has assured that any combination of red/maroon and yellow I see will forever be accompanied by the thoughts "Go, Gryphandor".

What the fuck is a Gryphandor?

It's a Gryffindor for people that wrekk spelling until it is ded.

• Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    My parents are from Pommen, so we have real Griffins

528px-POL_wojew%C3%B3dztwo_zachodniopomorskie_COA.svg.png

• Options
    I mean it probably SHOULD remind you of Harry Potter cuz... it's a Harry Potter scarf?

• Options
    AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    I'm making stockings for my co-workers for the gift exchange and have been working on custom embroidery, so I made a sentient snowflake from Doctor Who.

xjvbadqt0sb7.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    AngiKate, my nephew would absolutely flip his shit if he got that snowflake on a stocking (or anything really) as a gift. In a good way, I mean.

So thread, does anyone have a specific site and/or video that they could recommend to teach someone how to make basic crocheted granny squares? The site/video should explain it much like you would explain things to a 4 year old. I know how to do a single stitch and perform it properly approximately 80% of the time. So, maybe explained to a 2 year old.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    plut, I learned a lot from crochet geek and a youtube channel called bobwilson123

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    One of my favorites for the really simple stuff is Bethintx1. She's an older woman with a whole bunch of crochet tutorials and some really nice patterns she talks you through.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Project sneak attack! (alright, so I'm actually just really bad about getting pictures for updates, you should see my blog)

20141125_120417_008_zpsetsznlbk.jpg

This is going to be my game chest. It has wheels and a hidden pull-out handle so it can be wheeled where games are needed. It also has a panel that can be opened on the end so things can be retrieved when it is stood on its side. I'm still figuring out what weird thing I can do to make the locking/unlocking mechanism more interesting. Something with magnets probably, because screw normal locks.

Edit: Oh, and that rectangular space in the top is designed to hold rulebooks, it, and the interior of the chest, will be lined with cloth. There will be a hidden door on the lid that will open to reveal that book space.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Try to ignore how tiny my head looks here, as well as how many families could live in this sweater.

84ou63xwsaby.jpg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    So I found out one of my professors happens to be an avid knitter. After class yesterday, I asked for some help since no matter what whenever I knit in the round I always wind up having to purl all my stitches to keep the "right side" of the thing facing outward. (This is annoying because I'll either have to knit inside-out if I wanna follow a pattern, or do everything purl-wise.)

She had me show her how I knit. Apparently I knit left-handed but with my right hand, but also do it inside out, and backwards? It's probably a combination of being dyslexic, and having been taught to knit by my naturally left-handed mother who was trained into being a righty. (Who was taught to knit by my left-handed grandmother...)

My prof's advice was to relearn how to knit, but whenever I watch Youtube tutorials, it looks like I'm knitting English correctly. (Although that is probably because I'm dyslexic and can't see the difference, just like I couldn't tell when I built all my legos in the mirror image of the instructions as a kid.)

Maybe I'll just pretend that this is "my style," and stick with it. Instead of English or Continental it'll be the "Dyslexic-Inside Out" method.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Aha! I did almost exactly the same when I first started knitting (I am a lefty who learned to knit from my [right-handed] mother who could not figure out why all my stitches were twisted).

All you should need to do to correct it is switch the side of the yarn loop you're putting the needle in from, because that's how the stitches get twisted up.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Sorry. Double post.

Creagan on
  • Options
    Do you mean I should purl through the back then?

This only happens when I knit in the round. Flat stuff looks like it's oriented the right way. (Knit side facing me.)

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    Do you mean I should purl through the back then?

This only happens when I knit in the round. Flat stuff looks like it's oriented the right way. (Knit side facing me.)

Yep, you only need to switch when you are knitting in the round! Yes, it is a little weird to get used to, but it totally works to fix that problem with my stuff (I do a weird combination of English and Continental because I'm a lefty and knit kind of backwards too)

It's been years since I have even thought about it because I do it more or less by instinct now, but this was something that took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong. Basically knitting in the round doesn’t "realign" the stitches on your needles the way knitting back-and-forth does.

• Options
    That's great! I thought I was going to have to either go bsck to square one and totally start over or just deal with the fact that all my stuff looks a little off.

Thanks so much!

• Options
    Oh, and one other thing, those twisty stitches CAN be really useful for certain things like to minimize the gapping around slanting decreases.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    My wife will take different dishes from Goodwill and combine them together and decorate them to make birdbaths.

This is the one she's making for her Secret Santa office present

10731046_10204444960576941_5562063570613489399_n.jpg?oh=ef6c95bf6450019a3561dd08b9ad0dc1&oe=551A2E4F
    1452573_10204444948856648_79572340445064_n.jpg?oh=b548bad75ed5574dbeb0273083de0ca2&oe=551239AB

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Is it knitting progress sharetime? :D

I am.. so slow... at doubleknitting...

40QNVad.png

Also I never stopped using office supplies/household items to keep things organized, I guess. Binder clips are awesome, and ziploc bags are the best knitting bags ever.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    oh wow, I LOVE that color, and am envious of your doubleknitting! I am... not very good at it at alllllll.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Thanks! It's not too hard when you get into the swing of things... just time consuming. And sadly I don't have two pairs of hands so I can knit and do something else, like play Pokemon.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Thanks! It's not too hard when you get into the swing of things... just time consuming. And sadly I don't have two pairs of hands so I can knit and do something else, like play Pokemon.

You have feet, which I assume you aren't using!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any tips for handmaking christmas cards?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can buy pre-folded blank cards at stationers or off Amazon, if you're doing the whole thing yourself they're worth the investment because lining up and folding card stock exactly in half is a pain in the ass.

If all you want is to print out an image (so, not glue anything to the card or anything like that) you can get a very good rate online provided you order 25+.
    however I usually print my xmas cards at home because they tend to 'violate the terms of service' for online printing shops or some such nonsense.

• Options
    So I've been trying to do a few different things for Secret Santa this year. This is the first part of it:
    SecretSantaprogress_zpsb353624b.jpg

The idea is to melt aluminum and pour that shit into the routed out areas and make them flush with the wood. I think we are going to drill some holes in the back and clamp the shit out of it to a granite counter-top slab bit and pour in from the back. Then I'm going to try and dye the wood blue, shape it into maybe a sphere (not sure yet), and make some decent edges.
    Will post pics of other part sometime later this weekend.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My wife makes crafty jewelry that she sells on etsy which you can check out in my signature, if you're so inclined. She just added a couple of designs inspired by The Last Unicorn

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I LOVE the steampunk stuff.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have to give a great big shout to @NightDragon!

My wall looks a lot better all of a sudden!

lvoulo6y389o.jpg

• Options
    OK I need a hand.

My dad is a real big fan of the ABA. For Xmas I was wanting to make a section of Hardwood floor (like a basketball court) and then have the wife paint on some team logos, then seal it. Has anyone here done something similar-ish?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    OK I need a hand.

My dad is a real big fan of the ABA. For Xmas I was wanting to make a section of Hardwood floor (like a basketball court) and then have the wife paint on some team logos, then seal it. Has anyone here done something similar-ish?

You may have to remove the top protective coats and then paint on the wood itself and then put the seal back on top. I'll ask my dad, who deals with painting random things pretty consistently. That sounds like a fantastic idea though.

Unrelated, but geez getting stuff right for that Doctor Who logo on the routing is complicated I've had 4 attempts and only one mostly successful (pictured previously). I also did the rebel logo, which turned out mostly fine but had a bit that partly chipped off. I think I can glue it secure, but not sure how it will hold up to sanding, so I may scrap the whole thing.
    Also taking suggestions for other not overly complicated logo/pictures.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Doing some homemade Christmas presents this year. Finished an apron:
    DlzThmu.jpg?2

• Options
    @Radiation It wouldn't be a nicely assembled hardwood thing, really just wooden slats sanded down and glued together, probably 12"x12" or so. What kind of top coat would I use?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    So would you guys just start out with regular untreated unfinished wood? I would throw down the logo(s) and then lay down a few layers of lacquer on top.
    If you wanted it to look a bit better (which is slightly pricier material wise), you could go to an auto paint store section and get an A/B auto clear coat, though that requires an airbrush (which are awesome). Only mix what you need, because that shit can get expensive. Actually use a like 5 or 10% ratio of thinner (stuff purchased at a paint store), which would help it go on smoother.

Best cheap quick option may be to look for Krylon brand clear coat spray cans. Try and make a dust free environment and...don't go crazy heavy. Like spray a light coat and let that coat dry and make another coat. Maybe sand super fine between every other coat or so. This will make the wood look wet as well.

• Options
    Yeah, probably cheap wood. I'm not sure if I want to make them larger slats of a more 1:1 size to the real thing, or get popsicle sticks and cut off the ends to make it look like a scale model of a court

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    How many tools do you have, or at least have access to? Are you near a major city? Some have open/hacker/maker spaces that will allow you to come in and work on what you want for a small fee with the tools they have on hand. Or maybe ask local high school/community college woodshop if they have time for random people to come in and work on projects.
    Do you want this as a thing to hang up on a wall? Coffee table might be a pretty cool thing to try for, but kinda hard to pull off as your first project. Not impossible though.
    Coffee table would be pretty cool, though. You could take some 1'x1'x6', plane the shit out of them to make them flat and flush, pattern them like a court would be (offset the ends by about 2" on each row) and glue and clamp the crap out of it. Try and mix/match the coloring a bit to make it more convincing of a court look.
    For painting I would try and find access to an airbrush and make stencils of each color layer for each logo.
    Or you could even make the whole table a court, and just use the ABA logo instead of team logos. Find stickers and do them along the edges?
    Just spit balling ideas here.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't have that much stuff and wasn't planning on it being a big thing.

They have a saw I can't remember the name of for the life of me. Like a table saw except the saw blade is lowered on a hinge. Forgive me, 7th Grade Shop Teacher whose name I also forget.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ooh, Ooh, I used one yesterday and the guy told me what it was called! It's called... it's called... um...

A mitre saw?

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Ooh, Ooh, I used one yesterday and the guy told me what it was called! It's called... it's called... um...

A mitre saw?

You might have seen what?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.