As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pin Presentation/Display solutions and pictures

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Duckie wrote: »
    Qumaden wrote: »
    So, making a complete set is actual a real possibility for me, I was looking at doing the poster cuz it just looks pretty neat when you get all the pins on there. I went through my stuff and found mine and it's wrinkled, ripped and creased all to hell...apparently moving three times in a year is rough on your belongings. I wonder if there's a way to get a new one :(

I have 2, both in their mailing tubes, want me to bring one to south?

<3 That would be divine!

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I was wondering if someone could scan the poster into a digital file (well just the card parts, obvs too big to do it all at once) so I could print them out for my shadow box. Maybe I could even make some newer ones for new pin sets. They look much better with the backing behind them.

Anyone that can do that?

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    I was wondering if someone could scan the poster into a digital file (well just the card parts, obvs too big to do it all at once) so I could print them out for my shadow box. Maybe I could even make some newer ones for new pin sets. They look much better with the backing behind them.

Anyone that can do that?

I asked about this a while ago and didn't get any takers.

We really need the original art file so we can make a new one if we needed it.

Maybe approach Brian about it?

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I considered that, but I suspect they won't want to give that stuff away in case they ever want to make a second poster.

• Options
    aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    You can probably whip up a similar poster from scratch in Powerpoint, considering it's basically just colored boxes. The color schemes for the "background" of each pin can be taken directly off the Pinny Arcade official website.

• Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    What aleph0 said except I'd use photoshop or illustrator

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    That's fine Duckie, you can use whatever you want!

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    What aleph0 said except I'd use photoshop or illustrator

DOOO EEEET!

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Here's what I've been working on

The general idea is mostly there, it needs some work though to fill in some of those gaps... it's a bit annoying Prime had a few more than East, but I feel I worked that out to the best I could without being too bland.

The KI pins will be the only 2014 pins not on this, since they're in the sexy binder, and the only pin I'm currently missing from 2014 on this board is the Naughty Dog one... it'll be mine soon I hope.

I also really wanted to incorporate Iota somewhere above the Garruk face since it was at East/Prime, but it didn't look so hot... I was going to have Atoi be in the same spot on the bottom, but w/e. Giving East another pin was a bit more important for balance. I also wanted to do something similar for Sunset Overdrive for Aus/Prime, but again looked weird.

I'm definitely happy so far though, it's just a bit annoying since Kristin's hobby pin falls out because it doesn't have a point on the stem, so I'm probably going to try and swap it for another.

• Options
    Also found this one in my local reject shop today. The cardboard comes out if you're after a longer style frame.

CZobIt3.jpg

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    I need to go to bigger reject shops, i do not get this kind of selection, in fact mine is done in just a normal frame, there is pins, cardboard, foam, wood backing. Its almost bulging at the seams hehe.

• Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    Someone from Australia please enlighten me... what is a reject shop?

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    It's... The... Reject shop? It's like a discount store I guess... *googles* yeah, discount store http://www.rejectshop.com.au/aboutus/companyinformation

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Yeah we don't have those stores here in the US that would have shadow boxes in them(that I know of). Shadow boxes for me would cost $50-200 or something stupidly overpriced.-.-

• Options
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    Yeah we don't have those stores here in the US that would have shadow boxes in them(that I know of). Shadow boxes for me would cost $50-200 or something stupidly overpriced.-.-

You are looking at the wrong stores. Michaels always have frames and shadowboxes for half off. The shadowboxes I got were $10 each and I was able to fit like 35 pins in each. Also Target would have reasonable prices on frames and shadowboxes as well. You just need to know where to look... ;)

• Options
    AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I moved back in May, and JUST NOW had the chance to get my shadow boxes up on the wall (chasing a toddler around the house all day really cuts in to pretty much everything!). That, and it gave me a chance to put in all those shiny new pins that had been waiting to find a home.

My wife got me the first 2 boxes for my birthday last year. I'm quite happy with these boxes and I'm happy that I am finally able to share my collection with you guys. Thanks to everyone who has traded with me!!!

http://imgur.com/a/bUBH5

• Options
    Ajaxon wrote: »
    I moved back in May, and JUST NOW had the chance to get my shadow boxes up on the wall (chasing a toddler around the house all day really cuts in to pretty much everything!). That, and it gave me a chance to put in all those shiny new pins that had been waiting to find a home.

My wife got me the first 2 boxes for my birthday last year. I'm quite happy with these boxes and I'm happy that I am finally able to share my collection with you guys. Thanks to everyone who has traded with me!!!

http://imgur.com/a/bUBH5

Lookin good, I like the hinges so that you can update/adjust your collection. Where did your wife get you those?

• Options
    That first box is really laid out well. Good job.

• Options
    AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This is the box - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CXBRW0 - the build quality is really good. The only thing I'll note is if you have multiples, the hanging mounts on the back might be in different spots. I have a few extra holes in my wall from me assuming they were in the same spots on all 3 :)

And yeah, I like the layout of the 1st box too. That one will never be touched except for when I add the Aus shield. The 2nd one I'm OK with but having the pins in the wrong order bugs me. I tried to stick to pin themes where I could. One of these days I'll redo it. 3rd one is just getting started!!

Ajaxon on
  • Options
    Ajaxon wrote: »
    This is the box - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CXBRW0 - the build quality is really good. The only thing I'll note is if you have multiples, the hanging mounts on the back might be in different spots. I have a few extra holes in my wall from me assuming they were in the same spots on all 3 :)

And yeah, I like the layout of the 1st box too. That one will never be touched except for when I add the Aus shield. The 2nd one I'm OK with but having the pins in the wrong order bugs me. I tried to stick to pin themes where I could. One of these days I'll redo it. 3rd one is just getting started!!

Love these cases. Can't seem to find anything similar in Aus... back to the ebay trawling!

• Options
    Love these cases. Can't seem to find anything similar in Aus... back to the ebay trawling!
    Australia Post now provides this service!

https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/

!!

• Options
    agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Australia Post now provides this service!

https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/

And also currently:

Plus, until 31 December, we're giving you 25% off shipping* fees to Australia.

Simply enter the promotional code XMAS2014 when you pay for your shipping at the ShopMate checkout.

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • Options
    Or a generous pinpal could help you ship at cost to avoid additional fees...

• Options
    I ended up buying one I only found at the last store, in between the smallest and biggest sizes:

tJsSLg0.jpg

Could probably only fit a set or two of pins into it, but it will be a good test to see what I have to do to set up a bigger one. Next stop is to buy some of that pinboard stuff I saw at Bunnings a while back.

So for anyone wondering what that's looking like:

I grabbed a sheet of this 9mm acoustic pinboard from Bunnings for $20.

Srb8Ejf.jpg

I used the back of the frame to mark a square to cut out of it at the right size.

X1VJU7m.jpg

I then used some spray adhesive to stick some black felt to the front of it. I originally folded the edges over the back and glued them down, but then it didn't fit into the frame, so I had to cut it off and only have it on the front.

Oun9H6r.jpg

I wanted to see about how many pins I could get into a frame this size so I thought I might as well try my newly collected staff/hobby pins.

A8lAidP.jpg

This is without the glass in, as I have to glue that to the front of the frame. I pulled the staples out that hold in the backing board, and I still have to buy a thicker piece of wood to put the pinboard on. Probably going to put some hinges on it for easier access.

• Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So I want to make something totally cool (at least in my head) to securely wear our trading pins at South in a month. I'm surprisingly crafty in the general case, but I don't normally work on this type of project so I may need some advice from those who know their way around a fabric store (Help me Obi-Wan- @Duckie , you're my only hope).

I got this idea when I saw @seawolven‌ at the Age Of Empires booth at Prime 2014, with his awesome pin sash -- and was thinking about his issue with the pins not staying put.

I want to make essentially the same thing -- a semi heavyweight fabric pin sash (like a boy scout merit badge sash) -- except with a flap of clear vinyl (like the stuff they make kids clear backpacks out of) that folds over the top of the pins and velcros in place around the sides. This way I could have all of our trading pins out in the open to get some trades going, without constantly being worried about losing a Hanna or Leeroy. If the pin back were to come off the back, the pin itself would get held in place by the vinyl flap. Also no one could sneak one of these off my sash in line when I wasn't paying attention, without tearing off some noisy velcro.

It seems the steps would roughly be:
    1. Make a boy scout style sash out of tough fabric, maybe like canvas or nylon
    2. Permanently attach (sew?) the flap of vinyl to the side of the sash, maybe with a small width of super flexible fabric to act as a "hinge"
    3. Make the edges of the flap nice -- maybe like a tough piece of ribbon
    4. Attach (again, sew?) velcro all along the three other edges of the flap, and the matching velcro to the sash itself

Doesn't sound too awfully hard, but I'm not sure about a few things. If sewing is the right way to go -- and I suspect it is -- would I need some sort of sewing machine to do this well, or can I just jab at it with a needle and thread? Also, do you have to do anything special for stitches to take hold in that clear vinyl? In my mind it seems like they would tear out easily, but they do make backpacks for kids out of it.

Hit me with all your thoughts and criticisms, Shark Tank style 8-)

dmosinee on
    Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @dmosinee‌ My understanding is that the US is a magical place of rainbows and unicorns and has more fabric stores which usually carry a broader range of fabric than stores here, so keep that in mind for everything I say after this.

1. I'm not familiar with these clubs, I'm assuming my google search is what you mean when you say merit badge sash.
    1a. Did you want your base fabric to be a specific colour? If not why not just buy one to make your life that little bit easier. Otherwise a nice heavy cotton drill (twill weave) will be fine as your base. Also Coutil which is used for corset making is super stable and strong and not too heavy, but difficult to find/usually a bit expensive.
    2. Make sure you get a good quality clear PVC (vinyl) if it's too thin it might tear once you stitch it. This can be really hard to find I've only seen it stocked occasionally here.
    2&3. Cotton twill tape is your friend! 1 inch will probably be a good width.

I'm very visual so written descriptions don't always make a lot of sense to me, PM me if you want more help with the patterning/construction steps, we can set up a skype session or email exchange :)

Duckie on

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    why not just buy one to make your life that little bit easier.
    A great idea, I'm not even sure why I thought I had to make the sash base. There is a scout store here in town I should be able to get one in boyscout issue olive drab for pretty cheap.
    Make sure you get a good quality clear PVC (vinyl) if it's too thin it might tear once you stitch it. This can be really hard to find I've only seen it stocked occasionally here.
    I'll check the fabric store tonight -- if they don't have anything suitable it looks like I can buy this stuff pretty easily online.
    Cotton twill tape is your friend! 1 inch will probably be a good width.
    This twill tape stuff looks perfect for the "nice edges" I want the flap to have! I'll get some extra PVC and try a couple edge styles with the tape and velcro and see what works/looks best.

http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    So I was able to buy all my supplies last night. I had the fabric store all to myself to rummage through except for three confused looking dudes lined up to buy a sewing machine as a Christmas gift for their wife. They had the clear vinyl in a bunch of different configurations -- I bought a yard (which is way more than I need) of the thickest one (20 gauge according to the label). I tried to buy the cotton twill tape that @Duckie‌ mentioned, but they barely had anything called that. I ended up getting some stuff labeled "Bias Tape" that looked pretty close. I also got a bunch of black velcro, black heavy duty thread, and a package of needles.

I just finished up my first sample edge, and it actually came out better than I thought it would. I stabbed my finger about 20 times sewing the velcro, but by the time I finished I had a good rhythm going.

Front side (that will face out):
    r4llfwuvmxon.jpg

Back side (with the velcro that will stick to the sash):
    6kr7hqu4escq.jpg

It looks uglier in those pictures than it is in person, and everything is super solidly attached. There's no way any of that is ripping off there unless you tear the vinyl itself. Next up comes the real thing, which will probably take hours of finger stabbing :x

• Options
    Drowning RabbitDrowning Rabbit New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I finally remembered that I never posted my "Banner Solution" that my buddy made me randomly one night:

AIDAu9f.jpg

Complete with updates from my Secret Santa :biggrin:

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I finally remembered that I never posted my "Banner Solution" that my buddy made me randomly one night:

snip

Complete with updates from my Secret Santa :biggrin:

Take good care of that ETC :biggrin:

TheAggroCraig on
  • Options
    Where is :sax: ???

• Options
    dmosinee wrote: »
    clear vinyl

I'll have to buy some of that and sew it onto the front of my pin bag to catch suicidal pins for next pax.

• Options
    Drowning RabbitDrowning Rabbit New HampshireRegistered User regular
    dmosinee wrote: »
    Where is :sax: ???

I bought that set so long ago :sax: wasn't made yet. :( :v was on my bag until it finally broke sometime last year.

• Options
    RaynerRayner Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm working on a display for my pins, and I have made a template based on the Pin poster from 2013, not including the Name of the pin, I was wondering if that is the right size for all the pins?
    I need to have all the Pins spaced out all the same.

Also, Sorting... how? Like, all Sets from 2014 that are sold online go here, all pins that I got from a 2014 PAX go here, or is it like "This is a MTG Pin, it goes with my other MTG pins."

I'm aiming to have my pins in a folder, and I've done some mock ups before I set myself to getting it done, here is two mock ups for the Holiday pins, Thoughts?
    http://i.imgur.com/yqdDV9G -version 1
    http://i.imgur.com/Jz4kip2 - version 2

• Options
    The completionist in me forbade me to use my poster as it didn't have slots for the different year variants... /sigh #pinnyworldproblems

• Options
    I didn't do it because I assumed I would never get a DLC, but I figured since I got one, why not. It's less "creative" than my previous displays, but it's nicer to look at.

• Options
  • Options
    lol no Lookouts.

• Options
    lol no Lookouts.

Lookout 04 is representing solo. All four of him that I have...