As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Short-term obsessions

LegbaLegba He did.Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Social Entropy++
If you're anything like me (and please god don't let me be the only one) then you get really obsessed about random shit for a short time, and then drop it like it ain't no thing.

It might be that shiny new video game that came out and suddenly your spouse doesn't see you for a week, or it might be that you just realized you can bake, motherfucker! Or it might be that new song that you just keep listening to on repeat over and over and over until people around you want to murder you in your sleep... whatever it is, this is a safe place where we can talk about what we're currently obsessing with.

Yesterday and today, this song has been looping over and over on my computer. I don't think anyone wants to kill me yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obvizJRnezA

Legba on

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    your mom

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You're mom

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    u mommsa

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    mater.. of yore?

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    u
    :tell_me_more:

zkHcp.jpg
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I feel like at this point, your mom is more of a habit than an obsession.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    your mom is my own personal brand of heroin

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You're mom is my own personal brand of heroine

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I for real have this problem guys

Not the mom part though

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I used to do this a bunch, but I've settled into just a couple healthy obsession/hobbies.

Coffee and Apps

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    you are mom

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    you are mom

No u

I sometimes listen to single songs for hours

I can't give examples because they would be too embarrassing

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    My longest-running short term obsession is with baking bread. I fell out of it for a while after my sour dough died, but my flatmates all got me a ton of baking stuff for my birthday, and keep buttering me up about how much they like having freshly baked bread available, so I've gotten back into it the last couple of weeks. Here's one I just took out of the oven!

YhY8T7hl.jpg

Legba on
    edited November 2014
    My longest-running obsession is with video games

Platy on
    We got a SNES and Super Mario World when I was 8

It was pretty fun

Then I got Link's Awakening to play on the Super Game Boy and it was like someone had injected some really powerful drug into my brain

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My current obsession is getting this Eminem 66 song mixtape to download because the link is fucking broken but I want more raps!

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Like, I get REALLY REALLY REALLY into things and want ALL OF THE OPTIONS

And then I wind up with 30 different types of tea

And 75 books to read

And then I just don't have time to taste/read everything I binge-purchased

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This happened to me somewhat recently with vinyls

And I spent way too much money

So now I just buy them somewhat sporadically, one here or there every couple months or so

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I really want to buy a commodore amiga.

I get into Magic: The Gathering once in awhile.

When it hits me it hits hard and I spend all of the money. Then I realize I have a problem with buying packs and I have nobody to play with so I inevitably sell all my cards.

I usually make a profit in the end though.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I want to bake more often

So little time though

Moriveth wrote: »

So little time though

Stop having babies!

• GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Currently, my obsession is t-shirt hunting. This happens about three times a year: at Christmas, in April, and in September.

My quarry this year has been a "Bite my glorious golden ass" t-shirt. I have found ONE. It is on E-bay, and the shipping is more than the actual shirt itself. I am crestfallen and have now settled on a Firefly quote shirt. I dunno if I'll actually buy it, though.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My current obsession is piecing together a cpu, getting each part as I see a deal go up this month. I'm sure this obsession will end with something like me playing XCOM on MAX SETTINGS.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    There are a few things I avoid because I know I would get obsessed with them. Collecting vinyl is one big one. I know if I start I'll spend so much money and I don't really have any place to keep them.

I'll stick to having The Beatles White Album and Pink Floyd The Final Cut as my only vinyl.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

So little time though

Stop having babies!

But it's a bun in the oven!

So little time though

Stop having babies!

But it's a bun in the oven!

You're own obsession will be your downfall!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My obsessions are all long term.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've been a bit better about controlling this sort of impulse pattern over the years (though in the last month since I've turned 21, beer tasting's certainly become a hobby), but I'm still bad at forming long-term habits

I really want to get better about cooking and music, in particular

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    you are mom

want emancipation?

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Bowie

• JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Never stop being obsessed with David Bowie

signature.png

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I dunno Young Americans is letting me down so far

I sometimes listen to single songs for hours

I can't give examples because they would be too embarrassing

Wanna share embarrassing songs, Legba

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    honestly the thing about listening to songs on repeat endlessly is just such a capital f fact that I only ever listen to music in my car alone or on headphones

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I get like, short term obsessions that are a subset of larger interests. So, I am always into videogames, for example, but, occasionally a game will come out and I will be ALL ABOUT that game and only that game for a month or something, just playing only it and really digging deep into it, and then just moving on to something else.

Never really stuck with one game consistently for years like some folks do though.

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Never stop being obsessed with David Bowie

Seriously I've had Quicksand stuck in my head for the past four days. I may have listened to it about a dozen times during this period.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    David Bowie just seems like the coolest dude even if I don't particularly care for much of his music