As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Short-term obsessions

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Art would probably be one of my first short-term obsessions? I still have a weird relationship with that hobby. Then animation for a good while to try and make my way back to it, before starting this long period of nothing for a good long while

Nowadays I get obsessive about music. I find one song from an artist and I immediately scour their entire musical history, look for bands similar to what they sound like, etc. Put their songs on my phone and for a week after pretty much only listen to their songs. A year ago or so I got heavy into Power Metal and just binged Blind Guardian forever. Now the Bravely Default soundtrack has me enthralled until something else takes that throne.

VRXwDW7.png
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Oh yes

Crayon art and painting were also two short term obsessions

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    What the fuck is a Commodore Amiga? Some horrid amalgamation brought forth in affront to the laws of man, nature and International Karate?

My obsession is thinking about my worth as a person and how my past choices has led me to a life of regret and shame. Oh wait short term obsessions. Oh well, yeah, baking. Muffins and stuff.

Fuck off and die.
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Never really stuck with one game consistently for years like some folks do though.

I stuck with LoL for a long, long time, but that's mostly the function of having friends who play the game!

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I'm obsessing about dying my hair with this stuff. Mostly because I am scared about fucking up.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Never really stuck with one game consistently for years like some folks do though.

I stuck with LoL for a long, long time, but that's mostly the function of having friends who play the game!

I guess I actually did that with WoW.

I just kind of forgot. I wanted to forget. :P

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I want to forget so many things

And I can't

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    What the fuck is a Commodore Amiga? Some horrid amalgamation brought forth in affront to the laws of man, nature and International Karate?

My obsession is thinking about my worth as a person and how my past choices has led me to a life of regret and shame. Oh wait short term obsessions. Oh well, yeah, baking. Muffins and stuff.

Commodore made the Amiga, chief.

Now who's up for online Kick Off 2?

Peter Ebel wrote: »

Commodore made the Amiga, chief.

Now who's up for online Kick Off 2?

God dang. The universal categories of perception have basically been ripped apart for me here.

Fuck off and die.
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The only video game series I reliably follow anymore are the Souls games, and I've still not played the DLCs for either DaSo 1 or 2

The last game I played much of was X-Com, and I think I've already played about as much of that as I care to, for now

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Right now I'm in a bit of a conundrum: I generally flit from video game to video game, but a few have kept me hooked for long periods of time.

WoW, Pokemon, and Bioware games:

Guess which 3 games/expacs came out within the past couple of weeks?

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i thought fighting games were gonna be a short term obsession for me

but nope, 3 and a half years later and they're still my favorite way to spend my free time tbh

lfYVHTd.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I bet fighting games are fun.

If you aren't terrible at games like me.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I get like this with music

most recently I went through a phase where I listened to Made Up Dreams by Built to Spill on repeat for like three days

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Spending hundreds of hours in a game is a pretty alien concept to me

Even when I used to play video games more regularly, I'd put in just a few hours at a time every once in a while, it usually takes me a month or more to actually beat something

But there's something about browser/flash type games where if I get really into one, I get REALLY into one and don't put it down til I'm done

There was one winter break where I basically did nothing else but play Ginormo Sword

When I heard about A Dark Room I played it in one sitting, only stopping to sleep

so at the end of last year I got introduced to Puzzle and Dragons, spent the first night playing it for like 4-6 hours straight and have played a little every day since (gotta get those daily bonuses), for the most part it's the only gaming I do anymore (which is nice since that's money I don't have to spend)

uc3ufTB.png
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I sometimes listen to single songs for hours

I can't give examples because they would be too embarrassing

Wanna share embarrassing songs, Legba

Oh man I've got a few!

Most of the time I get musicals stuck in my head. Recently it's been Thorbjørn Egner, but there was that week where I would play the Book of Mormon over and over and I don't think anyone appreciated that.

Also, after I saw the 2000 version of Jesus Christ Superstar, it's version of Caiaphas blew me away and I played the songs over and over and over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTbHujk1GyM

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I was going to say a specific song was a short-term obsession, but I still put it on whatever I'm using to play music with at the moment.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There are a few things I avoid because I know I would get obsessed with them. Collecting vinyl is one big one. I know if I start I'll spend so much money and I don't really have any place to keep them.

I'll stick to having The Beatles White Album and Pink Floyd The Final Cut as my only vinyl.

Here you go, man.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Typing out this po

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I bet fighting games are fun.

If you aren't terrible at games like me.

af8f686dab65cd90b38887af6105662d.png

and that's just the steam version

i've got around 3000 hours on the xbox version, maybe more but i lost my original sf4 save data so i can't give exact numbers

but it was between 1500-2000 and i've put in just a bit less once i got another xbox

in addition to all the time i spend reading and watching and playing other fighting games as well

it definitely didn't come easy or quick

lfYVHTd.png
    Good lord!

Fuck off and die.
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah fighting games are no joke

it took me hundreds of hours of practice just to get to a level of proficiency at which I can beat all of my friends who don't actually play them

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Qa8Hy2C.png

Mind you this isn't from huge play sessions, just a consistent timewaster over years since it has come out

nowadays I only play it once or twice a week

VRXwDW7.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love fighting games. I don't have the time to master them anymore. My favorite thing is to beat someone online then get a message calling me a name because I didn't beat them the right way or whatever.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I have like 200 hours in MW1 on steam or something and that is probably still the top of the list.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have like 1000 hours into GMod but none of them are mine. My son just leaves it on his computer running all of the time.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I was into CS 1.6 enough that one of my internet hangouts was the forum of a clan, even though I wasn't a member. I ended up giving that Steam account to my brother.

I really enjoyed TF2 for a long while, but it's not installed anymore and I don't know when the last time it was I played. TF2 changed too much and too fast in between my last few times for me to easily catch up.

b1ehrMM.gif
    God knows how many hours I've logged into staring listlessly at text on the internet.

Fuck off and die.
    While this isn't exactly getting bored of something all of a sudden, I do have an example of getting obsessed with something incredibly quickly.

It started with a 20p copy of Lord of the Rings that I found at a village fair (on the far left), within six months it had become:
    5ugLQ6h.jpg

I'm just getting started on Volume 1 of the History book.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to get Lord of the Rings for Christmas. I hope I can find it for 20p!

Village fairs, Liiya. They're a goldmine! I'd gladly send you my copy but I don't think it would make the trip. It's sellotaped like nobody's business...

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I will start hunting! I like poking around village fairs and book stalls on the street.

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    my short term obsessions:

animal crossing new leaf
    horror makeup
    gJqSh5i.jpg

my favorite bit of horror makeup fun was halving those seltzer tablets and applying stage skin/toiletpaper and matching foundation to recreate a chemical burn in progress. sometimes cruising youtube for craft ideas takes you in that direction

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    My obsession tends to be mugs and teapots. I'll get one, then loads and then none for a while before the cycle starts again.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    I have a recurring short term obsession with materials science
    I try not to read the graphene/carbon nanotube stuff any more

• existexist Registered User regular
    My only obsessions are eating pussy and waterbeds and those are for life motherfuckers

UmPiq.png
    good obsessions tbh

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    sidebar: put green food coloring into water and a spray bottle/do it around other people and watch them lose their shit

its like next level ketchup packet gore

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I have had a few short term obsessions over the years where I spend all of my money on various things and accessories for a specific thing

hockey gear
    photography gear
    cocktails
    cycling

Currently I'm trying to buy spare parts and fix things myself on my old VW Golf. I installed keyless entry and a new stereo, replaced a smashed window myself, right now I'm trying to fix the windshield wipers without a huge amount of luck :(