As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terrible Crazy No Good Shit

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
So...man I don't even want to type this but I feel like I need to talk about it or I'll explode.
This kid in Cleveland, 12 year old kid, was shot and killed by police yesterday.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cleveland-boy-12-shot-and-killed-by-police-over-fake-gun/
Basically, he had a toy airsoft gun, with the safety tip off and was in the park, some guy called 911 and said "Theres a kid in the park waving a pistol around, its probably fake but its freaking people out" cops arrived, told him to put his hands up, he reached for the gun, and they shot twice, one hitting him.

First off, I don't want this to turn into "Fuck the Police", Police Officers serve a good and overall positive idea in our society, and I know a good 85% of them are actually honest hardworking people trying to keep things safe.
I also know some people are screaming cries of racism, but I don't think any reports have stated the races of the officers and I doubt they even had time to see what race the kid was.

I just..fuck I don't know. I just want to know why, ya know? Arn't cops trained in ways to subdue a suspect that doesn't involve shooting him? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? These guys seemed to decide that he was guilty of attempting to shoot them REALLY quick and did nothing to disarm the situation in a nonviolent way. Sam thing with that guy who was buying an airsoft gun at a wal-mart awhile back and was on the phone when someone called 911 because it looked like he had a gun...when really wal-mart sells real god damn guns, is it a crime to carry a gun in a gun store? Cops told him to drop it, he yelled its fake, then they opened fire on him.

I guess I want to just talk about this, I'm angry and sad at the same time and I just want to discuss this whole thing with people who might know better then me on the proceadures and what we as a community (the world) can do to maybe make it so our protectors arn't killing people left and right.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Damn, last I heard he was still alive.

I'm not defending the cop here but did you see the gun he had? It looked like a real gun and the guy was a rookie who fucked up pretty bad.

I think this is just a really unfortunate mistake, not negligence or racial profiling.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    A really unfortunate mistake that keeps happening again, and again, and again

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Something like what happened in Ferguson is not a mistake.

This seems different but I could very well be wrong.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Yesterday the picture of the gun I saw on articles about the incident looked like a little toy beretta, and today they've got this big gnarly fucking AR-15 looking thing plastered all over the place. I'm confused.

The pic I saw looked like a handgun and it definitely looked like something that could be mistaken as real.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    waving around a toy gun in the park with the orange cap removed is not a smart thing to do.

when the police show up, and presumably tell you to put your hands up after you've been waving a fake gun around, and you do anything other than put your hands up? that is Not A Smart Thing To Do.

Yeah, racial profiling could have played a part in this. The thing is, if i put myself in that kid's shoes, as a white guy? I could still see myself getting shot. I could also see being a 12 year old kid and making an honest mistake, and thinking i could explain to officers that my gun was fake.

Now, this all assumes the story laid out by the police is true. Maybe they told him to put his hands up and surrender, maybe they didn't. Maybe the orange tip wasn't on the gun when the police showed up, maybe it was and the police removed it to be more believable. The quote from the caller in the article linked leads me to believe the orange tip was off from the beginning, but who knows.

's a bad scene, for sure. I feel like there ought to be better communication through the police dispatcher.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    The picture in the article looks like a real gun to me.

From what it says, the kid was pointing it at people. Police arrived and told him to put it down and raised his hands. He pointed it at the police. They fired two shots.

I'm not saying it's right. But the kid pointed what looked like a deadly weapon at police officers after being ordered to stop. It wasn't a SWAT team unloading their rifles at the kid.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Apparently this is the gun
    airsoft.jpg

Looks real to me. I feel bad for everyone involved.

Yeah, cops tell me to put my hands up while pointing a gun at me... My hands are going up. I'm not fucking around.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Yeah, cops tell me to put my hands up while pointing a gun at me... My hands are going up. I'm not fucking around.
    Deadfall wrote: »

From what it says, the kid was pointing it at people. Police arrived and told him to put it down and raised his hands. He pointed it at the police. They fired two shots.

I'm not saying it's right. But the kid pointed what looked like a deadly weapon at police officers after being ordered to stop. It wasn't a SWAT team unloading their rifles at the kid.
    Label wrote: »
    waving around a toy gun in the park with the orange cap removed is not a smart thing to do.

when the police show up, and presumably tell you to put your hands up after you've been waving a fake gun around, and you do anything other than put your hands up? that is Not A Smart Thing To Do.

Yeah, racial profiling could have played a part in this. The thing is, if i put myself in that kid's shoes, as a white guy? I could still see myself getting shot. I could also see being a 12 year old kid and making an honest mistake, and thinking i could explain to officers that my gun was fake.

Now, this all assumes the story laid out by the police is true. Maybe they told him to put his hands up and surrender, maybe they didn't. Maybe the orange tip wasn't on the gun when the police showed up, maybe it was and the police removed it to be more believable. The quote from the caller in the article linked leads me to believe the orange tip was off from the beginning, but who knows.

's a bad scene, for sure. I feel like there ought to be better communication through the police dispatcher.

You guys are fucking crazy

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry but you're either crazy or have lived in America too long. This is not a normal or acceptable thing no matter how real the gun looked.

This is not a thing that happens in sane or normal places. This is a thing that happens a) in america b) to black kids.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »

Label wrote: »

You guys are fucking crazy

no, pointing a realistic looking weapon at a cop is crazy.

not sure if that's what 100% happened, but if it is, than, well ....

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Sorry, we already have one politics thread here in SE, and these threads don't go well here anyway.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.