As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

far cry four

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I would be down for some far cry Jurassic Park

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This thread does not feel like a safe space.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm debating sneaking this into my black Friday purchases even though it isn't on sale anywhere I've seen.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    What kind of caliber would you need to take down a Tyrannosaurus

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Yesterday a yak was running away from a jaguar and rammed into my car so hard it started a fire, which spread and burned the jaguar up.

The yak and i stood on a hill and watched the fire spread, and for a moment I was pretty convinced i should just shut the game off forever because thats a great ending.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I'm gonna say something pintle mounted? Maybe an M134?

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Nothing that doesn't have "high explosive" as a part of its nomenclature

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Spoiled because this may be disturbing to poor smof:
    A tyrannosaur is roughly the times heavier than an african bull elephant, so from what I know of hunting, an elephant gun is enough to piss it off without causing enough kinetic impact to actually shut the organs down. In short this means that once shot in the heart with an elephant gun a tyrannosaurus will die of blood loss, but with plenty of time to eat you first.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    According to the first Tomb Raider, it takes roughly only 32 pistol shots to take down a T-Rex

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Spoiled because this may be disturbing to poor smof:
    A tyrannosaur is roughly the times heavier than an african bull elephant, so from what I know of hunting, an elephant gun is enough to piss it off without causing enough kinetic impact to actually shut the organs down. In short this means that once shot in the heart with an elephant gun a tyrannosaurus will die of blood loss, but with plenty of time to eat you first.

If I'm going down, I'm taking everything from your waist up with me!

http://youtu.be/VMzfrod7hcE

These stupid rebels keep firing their guns off into the air even when they're not in conflict and distracting me thinking some shit's going down

Why am I helping these assholes again

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Made a clip of when my friend was playing this last night

For context: he was playing as Batman, helping the civilians fight criminals and attempted to fly off into the sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwgiMynOdE

And then pressed the wrong button

6F32U1X.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Reminder that the game can be beaten in like 15 minutes if you are just polite
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCed-hb53E
    And you get called out on it if you reach the end of the game the long way around. That's a hint as to the existence of the secret ending, in fact.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Man, the mocap and voice acting in this game is really good.

In my head the design process behind the secret ending was

It wasn't in there at first

And then the Stanley Parable came out about a year and a half ago and someone on the team played it and came to work all "dude dude dude dude what if we did this"

6F32U1X.png
    Veldrin wrote: »

Sabal is played by Naveen Andrews! Sayid from Lost!

sig.gif
    Also, I just got literally stalked by a snow leopard.

It followed me for a decent amount of time, peeking over crevices at me, staying perfectly still whenever I looked at it.

I got nervous, so I decided to make a show of dominance and took aim with my bow for what I hoped would be a killing, or at least deterring shot.

Then I heard a screaming roar as its hidden partner launched at me from out of nowhere.

I got Jurassic Parked.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    That secret ending is amazing

I wish I hadnt watched it though

When I get around to buying it, gunna be really hard to play the game some other way.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So I watched the 'secret ending' video.

That's not really an ending?
    Unless it's meant to imply that you just join up with unhinged murderous stepdad guy and become the bad guy?

edited November 2014

Unless it's meant to imply that you just join up with unhinged murderous stepdad guy and become the bad guy?
    Ajay came to Kyrat and put down his mom's ashes with Lakshmana. The end.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    SimBen wrote: »

And then jumps in a helicopter to go shoot guns with his half-sisters mentally unhinged dictator Dad.

?

And then jumps in a helicopter to go shoot guns with his half-sisters mentally unhinged dictator Dad.

?
    Nothing about that intro up to that point makes him seem too mentally unhinged, though

He makes it seem like Ajay's dad and all the rebels are just total assholes and are the actual bad guys

I wanted to marathon this to trade it in

And then I unlocked all the different kinds of stuff and my eyes rolled back into my head because good lord there's so much to do

6F32U1X.png

?
    Nothing about that intro up to that point makes him seem too mentally unhinged, though

He makes it seem like Ajay's dad and all the rebels are just total assholes and are the actual bad guys
    He murdered his lackey with a pen, took a selfie with Ajay, put a bag on his head, had himself a little taste of human ashes (of Ajay's mom), and stabbed poor Darpan in the back with a fork before gloating at how hopeless his situation is.

sig.gif
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I keep hanging out with Sayid because he's fucking Sayid and telling myself Naveen is an actor and I should seperate the....

....whatever, especially when he talks about the radio tower I'm like FINALLY A LOST GAME WE DESERVE.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow

?

He murdered his lackey with a pen, took a selfie with Ajay, put a bag on his head, had himself a little taste of human ashes (of Ajay's mom), and stabbed poor Darpan in the back with a fork before gloating at how hopeless his situation is.
    Yeah he's a burning bag of mixed nuts at best... Dude is cray-cray!

mxmarks wrote: »
    I keep hanging out with Sayid because he's fucking Sayid and telling myself Naveen is an actor and I should seperate the....

....whatever, especially when he talks about the radio tower I'm like FINALLY A LOST GAME WE DESERVE.

When he mentioned "radio tower" I was like HOLY SHIT

I didn't recognize him before then

SimBen are there French women in this game

I really want to support Amita, because
    it seems like going for the intelligence saved a lot more people at the temple than protecting Sabal's little group of mates would have. It was a good call.

but
    now she's trying to justify rebuilding a nation on the foundation of the opium industry and I'm like aww maaaan

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

.600/.700 Nitro Express

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Also, I just got literally stalked by a snow leopard.

It followed me for a decent amount of time, peeking over crevices at me, staying perfectly still whenever I looked at it.

I got nervous, so I decided to make a show of dominance and took aim with my bow for what I hoped would be a killing, or at least deterring shot.

Then I heard a screaming roar as its hidden partner launched at me from out of nowhere.

I got Jurassic Parked.

I've always heard of it referred to as clever girled.

b1ehrMM.gif
    mxmarks wrote: »

When he mentioned "radio tower" I was like HOLY SHIT

I didn't recognize him before then

SimBen are there French women in this game

I'm afraid not.

sig.gif
    edited November 2014
    I really want to support Amita, because
    it seems like going for the intelligence saved a lot more people at the temple than protecting Sabal's little group of mates would have. It was a good call.

but
    now she's trying to justify rebuilding a nation on the foundation of the opium industry and I'm like aww maaaan

There are no long-term consequences to siding with whom you feel is right at each individual branching path. Think of it as a temporary fork that meets back up at the next decision point, instead of a true narrative tree. You could side with one of them for the entire game and then switch at the end and you won't be punished for it.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    I love grappling hooks, that's on record

But the greatest new thing in the game is that shitty little helicopter

I was so wrapped up in hoping all the cars were still shitty I didn't even dream of a shitty helicopter

6F32U1X.png
    Far Cry 4: Content Rules Everything Around Me (C.R.E.A.M.)
    And there, I suddenly realize, is Far Cry. It is now and has always been—for better and, often, worse—a series that renders “alien” spaces and peoples in a way that is comprehensible and consumable for its players, who get to safely explore “the exotic” with unparalleled virtual physicality. The civil wars of the Global South and East are complicated, but progress meters, auto-aim, skill trees and sprawling lists of discrete goals make them something we can parse and enjoy from the comfort of our couches.

I do not believe this is a good thing.

You may have heard by now that there is an “alternate” ending to Far Cry 4 which is accessible at the very start of the game.
    You receive it by being passive, by waiting around when the bad guy tells you to wait around. After 15 minutes or so, he’ll show up and take you to your final objective, where you have the same moment that you would have after 20 or so hours of play. In its natural place at the end of the game this moment feels lackluster. But here, re-contextualized to the beginning of the game, it is touching, confident, and new. You are rewarded for patience, not gunplay or persistence in finding collectibles. There are no blaring UI elements, no deafening screams of boxes being checked off. It is, unlike the rest of the game, quiet.

And then, in this alternate ending, Pagan asks you if you “got it out of your system.” He does not let you respond. “Good,” he says, leaning on the side of a helicopter, eager to confirm every bad thought you’ve had about the game. “Maybe now we can finally shoot some goddamned guns.”

What a cowardly thing it was to not let that moment stand.

6F32U1X.png
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    That Alternate Ending reminds me of Metal Saga, where you can just tell your mom "Ok, I'll just be a mechanic instead" in the first minute or so of the game.

End game, roll credits. You live the quiet life of a mechanic, instead of doing all kinds of sweet adventures.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Sabal is played by Naveen Andrews! Sayid from Lost!

I thought I recognized his voice!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    So uh

Yeah

Been playing this pretty much non-stop the past few days, while my copies of Rogue and Dragon Age sit there untouched

This is easily, easily my current frontrunner for GOTY, and will likely end up taking that, just as Far Cry 3 did for me in 2012

There is so much stuff to do, and nearly all of it engaging. The game continues to get the feel of stealth missions right - the De Pleur mission had me on edge and thinking about my moves and lamenting my mistakes, rather than screaming "this is bullshit!" when I was caught and the mission failed

Far Cry 3 was a damn near perfect game, letting go of the story, and all the little quality-of-life changes make this an even better one. Things like getting bait from every animal you skin and being able to tie that to your grenade button which basically just lets you summon dangerous animals at any point, or the much-simplified syringe creation (and the instant-crafting of the healing syringe is a godsend)

Autodrive is hit or miss, but the fact that the game even attempts it is so damn cool. Driving takedowns feel just as rad to pull off as they looked in that E3 trailer.

Even the story's not bad! So far, anyways. Who knows if they'll stick the landing.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    2vRujal.png

YOU'RE WELCOME

broken image link