As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Short-term obsessions

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I sometimes listen to single songs for hours

I can't give examples because they would be too embarrassing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2P76nOpeDs

Allow me

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I have had a few short term obsessions over the years where I spend all of my money on various things and accessories for a specific thing

hockey gear
    photography gear
    cocktails
    cycling

Currently I'm trying to buy spare parts and fix things myself on my old VW Golf. I installed keyless entry and a new stereo, replaced a smashed window myself, right now I'm trying to fix the windshield wipers without a huge amount of luck :(

Old Golf?

Show me...

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I can't ever seem to stick with anything. EVERYTHING is a short term obsession with me. Usually I never take it past the "reading a ton about it on the internet and dreaming of doing it irl" phase, but sometimes I'll take the first step and buy whatever I need to start doing whatever it is before I realize most things take work, effort, time, and money and then I drop it for forever while feeling guilty I spent money on it in the first place. Some examples include:

Blacksmithing
    Astronomy
    Fountain pens
    Shaving with straight razors
    Exercising
    Learning other languages
    Painting/drawing/photography
    Programming
    Growing herbs
    Pipe smoking (to be fair, I only stopped this after having heart surgery)
    Beer/mead brewing
    Teaching myself all the math and science stuff I missed in school
    Knitting
    Sewing
    Coptic book binding
    Cooking
    Western martial arts (like, swords and shit)

And the list goes on and on. The only thing I've ever stuck with is playing videogames, and with my massive backlog on Steam I can hardly stick to a couple games long enough to finish anything and instead skip around amongst 30 or 40 of the 200+ installed games I own.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm detecting a common theme here.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    sidebar: put green food coloring into water and a spray bottle/do it around other people and watch them lose their shit

its like next level ketchup packet gore

Alternately, drink blue juice out of Windex bottles.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I'm glad that I was able to stick with a few hobbies, like photography and crochet (and knitting, now)

I really wouldn't have time to keep up with all the hobbies that I've picked up over the years

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Current song obsession
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ORhEE9VVg

The song obsession I had a couple weeks ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjPBrBU-TM

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have a track from pre-ordering I fight Dragons new album and it is my song obsession right now.

Good thing that album comes out soon.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I have had a few short term obsessions over the years where I spend all of my money on various things and accessories for a specific thing

hockey gear
    photography gear
    cocktails
    cycling

Currently I'm trying to buy spare parts and fix things myself on my old VW Golf. I installed keyless entry and a new stereo, replaced a smashed window myself, right now I'm trying to fix the windshield wipers without a huge amount of luck :(

Old Golf?

Show me...

I don't have any photos of it yet, but we bought it off a friend who was moving across the country for a song because it needed some work.

A few weeks after we bought it the muffler fell right off and I can't weld so I had to get it replaced by a guy, then it died during a road trip and we were stranded in a small town for a weekend to wait for the mechanics to open, who then replaced the Starter Module which cost way more than it should have, so I've resolved to do as much work on it myself as I can.

It's a 97 Mk3 1.8L 4 door which looks very similar to this one
    6370890325_1690dcb515_z.jpg

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    When I discover a new band, I listen to them obsessively for anywhere from a week to a month or so.

my Titus Andronicus phase is still going strong at 6 months.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I bet fighting games are fun.

If you aren't terrible at games like me.

af8f686dab65cd90b38887af6105662d.png

and that's just the steam version

i've got around 3000 hours on the xbox version, maybe more but i lost my original sf4 save data so i can't give exact numbers

but it was between 1500-2000 and i've put in just a bit less once i got another xbox

in addition to all the time i spend reading and watching and playing other fighting games as well

it definitely didn't come easy or quick

And here I thought my Dota 2 playtime was high.

Okay, it still is.

I used to think it was probably an exaggerated estimate or from leaving the game running whenever someone said they had 1000+ hours in a game.

I still consider 100 hours a lot of time to play a single game for. Especially single player games.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

hockey gear
    photography gear
    cocktails
    cycling

Old Golf?

Show me...

I don't have any photos of it yet, but we bought it off a friend who was moving across the country for a song because it needed some work.

A few weeks after we bought it the muffler fell right off and I can't weld so I had to get it replaced by a guy, then it died during a road trip and we were stranded in a small town for a weekend to wait for the mechanics to open, who then replaced the Starter Module which cost way more than it should have, so I've resolved to do as much work on it myself as I can.

It's a 97 Mk3 1.8L 4 door which looks very similar to this one
    6370890325_1690dcb515_z.jpg

You know with some tint on the windows, a nice set of wheels, and about a 40-50 mm drop, Mk3 Golfs can look really good.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I'm definitely like this, but not music. My wife will pick a song and listen to it on a loop for days on end, which will inevitably lead to me hating this song.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I tend to get obsessed with albums.

Currently I'm obsessed with the Les Mis soundtrack and the GotG soundtrack. Also the serial podcast, which I feel a little guilty about listening to but I keep doing it.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I don't totally drop obsessions. Normally they're still things I enjoy, or think are cool. I'm just not constantly reading about them, writing about them, drawing them, and/or talking about them.

-The movie Born Free
    -Ducks
    -Rocks/Semi-precious gems/fossils/etc
    -Parakeets
    -Owning a dog
    -Guinea Pigs
    -Golden Sun
    -Harry Potter
    -Hidden Passageways
    -Falconry
    -The Sound of Music
    -Singing in the Rain
    -My Fair Lady/Pygmalion

The following obsessions have remained fairly constant throughout my life:
    -Reading
    -Writing
    -American Syndicated Newspaper Comics
    -Other Comics (happened later and isn't as intense as Newspaper comics)
    -Art History

Creagan on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Heh heh heh
    Creagan wrote: »

-Ducks
    -Parakeets
    -Guinea Pigs

-Falconry

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I'm going to join the "I'm not sure I have short-term obsessions" chorus. I tend to get into stuff for the long haul.

In fact, knowing the depths with which I can get into things occasionally puts me off trying new things. This is one of the reasons why I have a huge backlog of games. I always say I don't have time. What I really mean is that I don't have the requisite hundreds of hours it would take for me to completely finish all of them.

Like recently I beat Bravely Default. I think I would up with like 110 hours into that over a span of months. I'm not sure that's short-term.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Actually, I lied.

I got the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack last week and I've listened to it a few times. I'm obsessed with "Escape" otherwise known as "The Pina Colada Song".

I'm just thinking about the logistics of the whole thing.

Like, so the singer has been seeing this girl for long enough to be "tired of her" and that they're cohabitating. And he doesn't know that she likes Pina Coladas? Like, maybe it's just the kind of dude I am, but I have a pretty good idea of what kind of booze most of my friends like.

Second, the song is definitely a bit quaint now. I never really thought about the mechanics of newspaper personals before. You had to write in! And wait for replies!

Third, the song is definitely supposed to have a happy ending, but in reality, what does that say about your relationship? If you're both bored with it, then some realizations that you had only through the personal ads mean at a minimum you may have severe communication issues.

Fourth, my brother pointed out that "making love in the dunes on the cape" would probably be pretty uncomfortable, but I reminded him that they didn't have Hayden Christensen back then to point out how sand has a propensity to get everywhere.

I realize that likely none of the above is a novel realization or anything, but still.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Throw me in with the other music people. I don't really get short term obsessions with anything else except for a handful of games (Harvest Moon titles, mostly).

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Coffee Cups
    Goldfish
    Fish in General
    Cats
    Pumpkins
    Bees
    Cats
    Sweaters

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Heh heh heh
    Creagan wrote: »

-Ducks
    -Parakeets
    -Guinea Pigs

-Falconry
    ...It's the opposite of the way it sounds. I was totally ready to go to a camp and/or work towards getting a license to practice it. Then I found out they sometimes feed the hawks budgies and I was like NOPE.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    God knows how many hours I've logged into staring listlessly at text on the internet.
    God, if I had done something useful instead of all the time I've spent pointlessly refreshing forum pages...

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Coffee Cups

This one made me laugh. I have so many coffee mugs. I actually bought what my wife and my team mate at work have deemed the ugliest thing they've ever seen, a homemade mug tree. It's basically a stick of birch on a little base with branches sticking off to hold about 6 mugs. I bought it for less than $5 at some church's Christmas sale a few years ago. It seems to be polarizing by gender, every guy that sees it seems to like it, but the women in my life all want to burn it.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I've put over 1000 hours into War Thunder and I'm super duper excited because they're adding in US tanks by the end of the year *knock on wood* and I'm just getting into the Sim Battles for aircraft and I've actually been getting kills!

I had an Ace game in my Ki-45 ko and 3 of the kills were bots in I-15s but it was a sparsely populated round.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I wish there was a way to get my hours played of Civilization 1 to 5 , bet it'd be a helluva number.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I've put over 1000 hours into War Thunder and I'm super duper excited because they're adding in US tanks by the end of the year *knock on wood* and I'm just getting into the Sim Battles for aircraft and I've actually been getting kills!

I had an Ace game in my Ki-45 ko and 3 of the kills were bots in I-15s but it was a sparsely populated round.

Wait, War thunder has tanks? I just thought it was planes, all the videos I have seen were planes.

I like tanks *begins download*

• Options
    edited November 2014
    @Inquisitor Started as just planes, Germany and Soviet tanks are in, with US in the next big patch (1.45) and the goal is to have Naval units as well, even further down the line.
    War Thunder - Kellys' Hero: http://youtu.be/ntt4z0o-oRQ

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Awesome! Well I'll try putzing around with the game some today with tanks and see what I think :)

• Options
    @Inquisitor‌ the three game mode are

Arcade: multiple crews, free respawn, name indicator, and shell drop/penetration indicator. 3pv

Realistic: multiple crews, earn Respawn Points through kills and spend respawn points to respawn in tanks OR aircraft, name indicators, no shell drop indicator. 3pv

Sim: only the tank you selected before getting I queue, limited number of respawns depending on tank role, no name indicators, no drop indicator, no third person view.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My current short-term obsession is with this site: http://www.artisandice.com/

It'll end whenever I buy myself a stupidly expensive set of dice.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Gimme them steel dice

Though that D4 could be considered a weapon.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    My current short-term obsession is with this site: http://www.artisandice.com/

It'll end whenever I buy myself a stupidly expensive set of dice.
    aaaand I just spent 20 minutes browsing their selection. That stuff is seriously cool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have an obsession with wargames that may end up being short term because it is really hard to find people to play them with.

• Options
    Come to North West ohio Inquisitor. I will pay all the wargames

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I have an obsession with wargames that may end up being short term because it is really hard to find people to play them with.

I got really into war machine for a summer cause all my housemates were playing. Then a few of them moved out and the guys who were left never wanted to play anymore.

• Options
    Teach me command and colors.

Teach me advanced squad leader.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Food.

I'll eat at a new place, and then I'll just want to eat at that place for weeks until I'm sick of it.

a lot of the time ordering the same thing over and over.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Food.

I'll eat at a new place, and then I'll just want to eat at that place for weeks until I'm sick of it.

a lot of the time ordering the same thing over and over.

I know that it's probably time for me to try something new when the lady at the Chinese takeaway sees me and has my order ready before I've even crossed the food court.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Having the same meal over and over is one of the few things I've never gotten obsessive about. I always make a conscious decision to try something new each time, because there is so much amazing food out there that I'll miss out on if I only eat the same things every time.

That said, I'll obsessively bake the same type of bread over and over until I feel like I've "perfected" it.

Same thing with origami. I'm the guy on the subway compulsively folding cranes and rhinos and dragons, not even really paying attention to what I'm doing.

I tend to leave them behind for someone to find. I tell myself that it'll be a neat little pick-me-up for whomever finds them.

• Options
    That is littering.