As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fear [The Walking Thread]]: Also fear SPOILERS, of which there are many in here!

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Return of the Walking Thread.

The best part of this episode was
    the Skybridge. People just camping out to spend the night and then all of a sudden, bam, something kills them.

I didn't get the point of the Carol flashbacks. Did they have some kind of thematic connection that I'm missing or were they there just so nerds can stop arguing about why her face was clean all of a sudden?

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

the Skybridge. People just camping out to spend the night and then all of a sudden, bam, something kills them.

I didn't get the point of the Carol flashbacks. Did they have some kind of thematic connection that I'm missing or were they there just so nerds can stop arguing about why her face was clean all of a sudden?
    There was a vague theme of fire, smoke, and "burning away" the old version of yourself to become something new.

As an aside, on The Talking Dead, Yvette Nicole Brown (from Community) had dozens of pages of notes from the episode, which was awesome. Most of the time that show is sorta dumb, but she was killin' it.

• FoolOnTheHillFoolOnTheHill PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014

In regards to the first part of your spoiler:
    It looked like some of the sleeping bags had a few circular bloodstains on them. Bullet holes? I'm not sure what to make of it other than maybe they were executed while they were sleeping somehow? Although I don't know how you'd kill that many living that quickly, and I can't quite explain how the tent inhabitants were killed, either.

FoolOnTheHill on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

It looked like some of the sleeping bags had a few circular bloodstains on them. Bullet holes? I'm not sure what to make of it other than maybe they were executed while they were sleeping somehow? Although I don't know how you'd kill that many living that quickly, and I can't quite explain how the tent inhabitants were killed, either.

YNB on Talking Dead had a theory
    Might have died in their sleep when Atlanta was bombed, depending on what the city was being bombarded with? it was very wtf though

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My bit WTF was why not kill all of them the first time you're going across, then you won't have to worry one way or another what's there when you get back.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    My bit WTF was why not kill all of them the first time you're going across, then you won't have to worry one way or another what's there when you get back.

I thought the exact same thing. As a matter of fact I think that every time they leave one that could later cause an issue. Especially when your talking a small number and there isn't an immediate danger to vacate the area.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Two or three of the group wanting to rob the rest could do it at night. Tent folks could have been shot through the tent, then maybe the murderers could then steal all the food and supplies and flee Atlanta.

I enjoyed this slower-paced episode. I guess it wasn't really slower-paced since there were two action scenes with stunts but it felt like more attention was paid to the little details than usual.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    It seemed clear to me that the sleeping bag
    people were shot, but it does indeed make the tent walkers harder to explain. Maybe the bandits unzipped the tents to shoot them and zipped them back up for teh lulz

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Are they in atlanta?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Are they in atlanta?

Yep. They even showed the tank Rick hid under in the first episode.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    huh, for some reason I thought they were further north. I have no idea where they've gone

• MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Hm, I think it might be my turn to be sort of bored by an episode whilst everyone else enjoyed it.
    I guess I was a bit frustrated, like why did they show all these scenes from Carol's backstory?

Unless they're sort of foreshadowing her death? That would make me sad. I love Carol.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I liked the episode a lot. Didn't tell us anything we didn't already know, but the slow pace and atmosphere was great. Nice to see AMC clearly upping the budget with this season, it's been the most epic yet and bringing back memories of what made S1 so special. The return to Atlanta was amazing.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am not usually a fan of musical montages, Sons of Anarchy kinda soured them forever for me. But dat intro was p.good.

Oh brilliant
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    huh, for some reason I thought they were further north. I have no idea where they've gone

The were driving for a night to get there.

SO after all this travel they've gotten a couple hours out of Atlanta?

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Hm, I think it might be my turn to be sort of bored by an episode whilst everyone else enjoyed it.
    I guess I was a bit frustrated, like why did they show all these scenes from Carol's backstory?

Unless they're sort of foreshadowing her death? That would make me sad. I love Carol.

TWD Rule #1: If you don't see a body, they're not dead.
    TWD Rule #2: If a character starts getting a whole bunch of development and big personal growth moments, they're as good as dead.

9AaQr7s.png

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

TWD Rule #1: If you don't see a body, they're not dead.
    TWD Rule #2: If a character starts getting a whole bunch of development and big personal growth moments, they're as good as dead.

9AaQr7s.png
    I choose to believe that the showrunners are playing on that second trope and doing the background for Carol without any intention of killing her

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    there is also the fact that expanding on backstory allows them to use all these expensive sets they built for previous seasons.

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Also, why shoot a restrained zombie from four feet away with an arrow? Yeah, Darryl can recover them, but there's always a potential for one to break, and it's not like he didn't just stab three in a row.

Also, the attack on the hospital they're planning in the previews: the Ricktatorship is just going to straight up murder the hospital cops, right? I mean, we've seen like half a dozen people in that building that aren't Beth and Carol.

steam_sig.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Also, why shoot a restrained zombie from four feet away with an arrow? Yeah, Darryl can recover them, but there's always a potential for one to break, and it's not like he didn't just stab three in a row.

Also, the attack on the hospital they're planning in the previews: the Ricktatorship is just going to straight up murder the hospital cops, right? I mean, we've seen like half a dozen people in that building that aren't Beth and Carol.
    I kinda hope one of the hospital cops somehow gets folded into the group just so there is some sort of antagonism inside of the Ricktatorship. With Abraham and company presently away from the group, basically everybody in the group is on board the with the Word of Rick, and that can get kind of boring. To me that was a huge downside for Hershel getting killed as far as the shows group dynamic is concerned.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    RedTide wrote: »

I kinda hope one of the hospital cops somehow gets folded into the group just so there is some sort of antagonism inside of the Ricktatorship. With Abraham and company presently away from the group, basically everybody in the group is on board the with the Word of Rick, and that can get kind of boring. To me that was a huge downside for Hershel getting killed as far as the shows group dynamic is concerned.
    I think Tyreese is supposed to be filling in that gap in the group dynamic right now. Although I find it much more annoying when he does it than when Herschel did it. I don't care if they're making an intentionally effort to go against character stereotypes for some artistic reason, making the guy that should be a big giant hammer wielding badass play the part of the pseudo-pacifist moral compass for the group is annoying.

I'll just leave this here because I think it's pretty awesome.
    Nerdist wrote:
    Sometimes after Talking Dead we sneak downstairs to spin the Price Is Right wheel...(sometimes=all times)

TheCanMan on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Tonight on The Walking Dead... stupid people do stupid things!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    What stupid things? Like other than the priest, I mean.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Let's turn our back on the cop so we can lean out the window to look at his zombie friend.
    That priest that's probably suffering 25 different kinds of PTSD and/or Depression? Let's give him a machete and leave him alone in a dark quiet room for a while.
    You remember how the world is populated by zombies that are attracted to loud sounds? Let's use this axe to bust up some old church pews to make barricades so they don't get in. (Seriously, those doors held against his congregation, rotten sponge zombies aren't going to be getting through them any time soon)
    Did that sound like gunfire out on the streets! Let's go check it out with 2 cops (while conveniently forgetting that zombies are attracted to sound).
    Let's bribe Coughy McDistraction with fresh strawberries to occupy the cops for a few minutes, immediately after getting the strawberries (when did she have time to set that up anyway?).
    Let's not ask where Coughy McDistraction got his hands on fresh strawberries.

I mean don't get me wrong, I still liked the episode okay... but there was a whole lot of derp going on.

Steam | Twitch
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    I don't mind lapses in judgement. I do mind the stealth cars though. How can these things not be heard coming from a mile away? Only ambient noises around are buzzing flies and gurgling zombies.

see317 wrote: »
    Let's bribe Coughy McDistraction with fresh strawberries to occupy the cops for a few minutes, immediately after getting the strawberries (when did she have time to set that up anyway?).
    This is a thing called Good Writing, and also a thing called Good Pacing. Don't show every tedious step of a process, just the important part and let the viewer figure out for themselves what happened.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The priest is a turd of extraordinary proportion

• Not MandatoryNot Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »
    ...I think that every time they leave one that could later cause an issue. Especially when your talking a small number and there isn't an immediate danger to vacate the area.

I thought this issue was addressed way back in Season Two (when Carl fails to kill a zombie; said zombie kills Dale later - 'Judge, Jury, Executioner'). Lesson learned: you kill every walker you come across. I don't understand why anyone would not at this point. Walkers return for the kill.

S05E07:
    Why are they fortifying the church? The church sucks as a base camp. No food, no perimeter, nothing to keep you from playing an ill advised game of zombie limbo due to boredom (really, what are you going to fill your days with at this church? Whacking up pews? Oh sorry, already done.) Compare to the farm or the prison...just sad. All we have is this mentally fragile priest scratching at the floorboards. No heartwarming pig roasts, no songs around the campfire, no raids on politically opposing towns... I just don't know if it is worth it anymore, guys!

S05E07:
    Why are they fortifying the church? The church sucks as a base camp. No food, no perimeter, nothing to keep you from playing an ill advised game of zombie limbo due to boredom (really, what are you going to fill your days with at this church? Whacking up pews? Oh sorry, already done.) Compare to the farm or the prison...just sad. All we have is this mentally fragile priest scratching at the floorboards. No heartwarming pig roasts, no songs around the campfire, no raids on politically opposing towns... I just don't know if it is worth it anymore, guys!

Seemed pretty clear to me that they were fortifying it real quick for the kids and michonne before heading off on their mission.

I don't think anyone wants to make it their home.

Seemed pretty clear to me that they were fortifying it real quick for the kids and michonne before heading off on their mission.

Yes. My question isn't the immediate "why are they fortifying the location they are currently sequestered in" (because, admittedly, that makes all the sense - I'm not daft), but rather, what the hell is going on? Why are they wasting their energy on a location that provides nothing for them and cannot guarantee them the security of anything more than an artificial barrier? I guess that was my real question. Sorry for not being more clear.

I am still stuck on Glenn and Maggie agreeing to go with Abraham's group even though there was no reason for the group to split up other than "a day" of travelling. A day? Really? Well, we can't possibly compete with the complications of a day.

They stayed behind for some reason - what reason? Drama? Bad perimeter decisions? No, Michonne and the kids were not some group that needed to be sequestered for a tv spin off show. There was a reason and it was not as simple as that.

Yes. My question isn't the immediate "why are they fortifying the location they are currently sequestered in" (because, admittedly, that makes all the sense - I'm not daft), but rather, what the hell is going on? Why are they wasting their energy on a location that provides nothing for them and cannot guarantee them the security of anything more than an artificial barrier? I guess that was my real question. Sorry for not being more clear.

Because that's all they've got to work with. Finding and securing another building takes time, and they gotta get Beth and Carol the hell out of Atlanta right now.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I am still stuck on Glenn and Maggie agreeing to go with Abraham's group even though there was no reason for the group to split up other than "a day" of travelling. A day? Really? Well, we can't possibly compete with the complications of a day.

They stayed behind for some reason - what reason? Drama? Bad perimeter decisions? No, Michonne and the kids were not some group that needed to be sequestered for a tv spin off show. There was a reason and it was not as simple as that.

You don't take kids to war. This is what Carl is still considered because Rick says so. Michonne is left because they need some protection just in case, and since they are thin they decided to fortify where they could. It is hard to see what they are doing as war, but this is basically what it looks like with small groups.

I just don't think they've had time to move on.

Rick agreed to go to Washington, It's just that emergencies keep happening.

Abraham didn't want to wait, which is why he went away. He was persuaded to stay like an extra 12 hours (to help with the hunters) because the Glenns told them they'd join his quest.

I think only like five days have past since the events at Terminus.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

"I already took the machete. What else do you want?!"

Tagline for the entire season, right there.

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    yah that music at the end really tricked me, it was we are having a moment music but then its like the record scratched and the cop hits her on the back.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    yah that music at the end really tricked me, it was we are having a moment music but then its like the record scratched and the cop hits her on the back.

OK, I don't usually think I know exactly what's going to happen on the show but...I knew exactly what was going to happen.
    Honestly,
    how do you recognize someone who has been zombified and then melted onto the pavement? You don't; take off your Bob-goggles Sasha!

Also, I know we just have to kind of roll with what happens, but how is everyone getting knocked out so easy? I guess we believe the cop pushed her REALLY hard, but it seems like that's the kind of hit you take and pull a Peter Griffin going SHHHHHHH-AHHHHHHH because it hurts real bad and not drop-to-the-floor-unconcious force. Unless...what if it's not just the zombies with soft skulls, but the virus/infection/whatever that everyone already has is slowly softening human skulls too! *gasp*

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited November 2014

OK, I don't usually think I know exactly what's going to happen on the show but...I knew exactly what was going to happen.
    Honestly,
    how do you recognize someone who has been zombified and then melted onto the pavement? You don't; take off your Bob-goggles Sasha!

Also, I know we just have to kind of roll with what happens, but how is everyone getting knocked out so easy? I guess we believe the cop pushed her REALLY hard, but it seems like that's the kind of hit you take and pull a Peter Griffin going SHHHHHHH-AHHHHHHH because it hurts real bad and not drop-to-the-floor-unconcious force. Unless...what if it's not just the zombies with soft skulls, but the virus/infection/whatever that everyone already has is slowly softening human skulls too! *gasp*

WE ARE the softening head!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Honestly,

If that is true
    Wouldn't Judith's skull have the consistency of warm Jell-O?

This discussion has been closed.