As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Friday and Beyond: Requiem for your Wallet

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Social Entropy++
Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Pre-Black Friday, Post-Black Friday, Lightning Deals, Doorbusters....

Stores are eager as fuck to take your money, and it seems every single day this month has been an onslaught of deals. Here's the thread to post your latest acquisitions that were either beyond your price-range or your backlog.

It's utterly impossible for me to list every single ongoing deal this month, so I'll let the fine folks at Cheapass Gamer do it for me. For your holiday videogame shopping needs, take a look at these handy guides, the first categorized by store, the second categorized by hardware/software. They have a guide for DVD/BLU sales as well.

The damage already started for me earlier this month by getting an XBox One AC Unity/Black Flag+Kinect Bundle (having both those games already, I traded the codes for Sunset Overdrive), followed by Target's B2G1 sale which I also nabbed Bayonetta 2, Halo MCC and CoD: AW (for PS4). Also Super Smash Bros for Wii U because there's no way I could resist that, deal or no deal.

Let's all hold hands and brace for the shopping storm together. And maybe share any sudden deals, particularly of the Amazon Lightning Deal variety.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I work all these days. I hate retail

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Fuck Black Friday, and fuck all the stores that are forcing people to work on Thanksgiving

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Please do not shop at retail locations on Friday. Shop online.

Please.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I volunteered for a 6-3 Thanksgiving shift, cause ain't nothin' to do at a Whole Foods meat department on Thanksgiving, when all birds have been claimed, is to cut up leftover birds for parts to sell off later

black friday close, that'll be pretty pristine

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular

Please.

I really need new pants tho

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    You can buy pants online!

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I'm going out early for black Friday for the first time ever. Should be fun!

• Options

Please.

The only deal compelling me to visit a physical store involves Killer Instinct season 1.

Hopefully Amazon will have a similar deal, or better yet Microsoft's own digital store (which is posting deals as of right now).

Maybe a Moviestop depending how much they would offer for old versions of DVDs I have (I assume not much, but I can't get rid of them through eBay either).

• Options
    Friday is whatever, but thanksgiving I cannot abide

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    The shifting times and larger crowds over the past few years have just turned me into a weird consumer vulture.

Look out for me 5 or more hours after opening, after the crowds have mostly dispersed, picking over the remains of various electronic media.

• Options
    Perks of working retail:

hiding shit for myself behind the electronics counter.

Thank you my sweet, sweet copy of Diablo 3

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    I don't get to do that. In fact were not allowed to buy anything at all if we work at all on Thursday or Friday. Like even before or after my shift.

• Options
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Fuck Black Friday

Last year I got Lego Marvel Superheroes for $10 for PS4 thanks to Amazon. Even had an Amazon rep fix my mistake of buying the PS3 version digitally instead, letting me keep both versions.

Black Friday is alright.
    and fuck all the stores that are forcing people to work on Thanksgiving

Agreed, fuck the stores.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I don't get to do that. In fact were not allowed to buy anything at all if we work at all on Thursday or Friday. Like even before or after my shift.

I'm working a double on Black Friday, once at 12:15 in the morning, and then I come back at 4 pm for my regular shift. We're allowed to buy stuff when we're off the clock (except for lunch), but all the stuff I'd like is long gone.

I'd much rather buy stuff online for Cyber Monday.

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    I'm not supposed to do it

But idgaf

Like I'm working a shit shift for not enough money, I don't get to see my family, and I don't get a great dinner. The way I see it, they fuckin' owe me the ability to buy some video games.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    it really seems like the money stores make from opening on thanksgiving can't be worth it. It's not even like Christmas where it's a religious holiday. EVERYONE in the states celebrates it from what I can tell

• Options
    The Target I work at will make $750k from open on Thanksgiving to close that Friday night.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    The Target I work at will make $750k from open on Thanksgiving to close that Friday night.

Really? THAT many people shop at target on a holiday? Holy shit.

Ok I guess it is worth it.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I just want to get Infinity 2.0 for $40ish online. I really hope Target/Walmart/Bestbuy offer their price online as well, or that Amazon matches it.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    I work Thanksgiving/Black Friday, but thankfully it's a hotel. Sure it'll still be kind of shitty, but at least they have me decorating a Christmas tree on Friday instead of cleaning the departing rooms.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Black Friday is probably the most compelling argument communism has

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

The line will probably last at electronics for about five straight hours on two registers.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular

The in-store deals are usually for relatively shitty/cheap products, and the overhead is ridiculous. Black Friday (and the subsequent holiday month) will basically prop up my Office Depot for like 6 months afterwards.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I used to go out on black Friday and buy shit. That experience makes me sleeping in that day all the better. The satisfaction of sleeping in after big meals>>>>waking up at 4am to save $20 on a blu ray player.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    @tube it's because now they test thanksgiving like black Friday, door buster deals at 5 pm you have to line up for hours in advance to get, sales all day leading up to the door busters and sales on Thursday. At least this year stores are closing down for a few hours in the wee times of the morning

• Options

The line will probably last at electronics for about five straight hours on two registers.

Are we talking about black friday here or thanksgiving? I meant thanksgiving. I might have the holiday wrong, I'm not from the states.

• Options
    Well it use to only be black Friday but now black Friday is a two day event. Of rude smelly people who would actually kill you for a $200 tv

• Options
    It seems like online black friday deals should make the in store version obsolete

• Options

Are we talking about black friday here or thanksgiving? I meant thanksgiving. I might have the holiday wrong, I'm not from the states.

So, black friday is now a catch-all term for the post-Thanksgiving dinner shopping opportunities.

We will open on Thanksgiving day at 6pm. From 6pm to midnight, we will do roughly $400k in business. The line in electronics will be non-stop transactions for five hours or so. The actual "black Friday" (11/28) will be much quieter because most of the good deals are gone and will make up the other $350k-ish in sales.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Couldn't they do the sale another time?

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Couldn't they do the sale another time?

I mean, they totally could, but capitalism.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Yep. Nothing stopping them.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    The day before thanksgiving sale.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular

now hold on here

I am normally a proponent of online shopping, but buying a pair of pants that have not gone to ass first is the quickest way to look like a clown, or an upside-down ice cream cone

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Is it an argument for or against?

Cause I can see it being used as evidence on both sides really.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Is it an argument for or against?

Cause I can see it being used as evidence on both sides really.

For.

Communism has a whole heap of problems, but hey, at least there's no Black Friday. People REGULARLY die on BF, trampled, all so people can pay slightly less for luxury goods. That is so beyond insane that I can scarcely fathom it.

• Options
    Machwing wrote: »

now hold on here

I am normally a proponent of online shopping, but buying a pair of pants that have not gone to ass first is the quickest way to look like a clown, or an upside-down ice cream cone

Bro know your measurements! If you need some khakis, you try that shit on when it's not the second busiest shopping day of the year and THEN you buy online.

Levi's are always cheaper online.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    @Professor Snugglesworth‌: "requiem"

Also, there is at least one thing I might be willing to go to a store for this Friday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOSfM0iRLaE

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Are Black Friday sales actually any different to the multitude of other individual sales that are regularly held throughout the rest of the year?