As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Friday and Beyond: Requiem for your Wallet

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah I'm working 4:30 in the afternoon to 12 midnight on fucking Thanksgiving. Black Friday has always sucked but it does at least tend to go by quickly, and doesn't interfere with a holiday. Now it does. This and Christmas are the only two holidays I really care about, family wise, since the side of them we go visit are pretty cool. No more of that!

Fuck Black Friday. Don't go to Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart. I work for Best Buy. Fuck em. Some places are deliberately staying closed on Thanksgiving, like Costco apparently. Take your business there.

Cilla Black on
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Are Black Friday sales actually any different to the multitude of other individual sales that are regularly held throughout the rest of the year?

There are usually some big crazy ones, yeah

Or heck, even small crazy ones, like movies that came out in the last couple of months for somewhere around $6 on Blu-Ray

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    As a customer I don't even want to go anywhere on Thanksgiving. I am perfectly happy sitting on my parents' couch stuffed to the gills, drinking some beverages, and watching football.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I saw an ad saying K-mart is opening at 6am on Thanksgiving. I've never participated in physical store Black Friday stuff so I haven't really payed super close attention to these things except to register that it's getting more and more absurd, but come on...really?

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Are Black Friday sales actually any different to the multitude of other individual sales that are regularly held throughout the rest of the year?

Yes and no.

Yes, the percentages are often higher. But they are, by and large, on goods that were intended to be sold at that lower price. The profit margin on a deep-discounted item are, typically, exactly the same as on a less-discounted equivalent item earlier in the year. Explained in more depth:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304281004579217863262940166

It's a shell game, it's theater, it's gross.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The K mart near me is closing down. I don't know when though it really was a non entity when I went in a about a month ago.

I pointed out to some of my co workers everyone that my manager assigned to come in early for the black Friday event no longer works at the Hell Known to Men.
    She just scowled at me. I have been also making fun of the mess that they created when they hired when about a 1/3 of the people ran off to the new store. With the statement of "This is the crew we are going into Christmas with"
    I was told to stop saying it because it was making people feel bad.

I ask for everyone's list of what they would like in Oct and the final copy by Nov 20th. that way I have the time to look and make substitutions if needed.

Since I work in a retail store when I leave I treat anything I am looking for as a incidental purchase.

I am having Thanksgiving Dinner today because that way I will not being going to work stuffed

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Hot damn, Killer Instinct Ultra Edition is on sale at XBox store, 50% off. Way better deal than Best Buy since it includes more costumes plus the original KI.

Now I really don't have a reason to go to any physical stores.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think coming from Maine where we generally are pretty laid back and don't allow Thursday openings gives me a better overall attitude towards Black Friday. I find it to be a ton of fun and have never had anything close to a bad experience. I've had other shoppers help me find things, I've helped others, and often store managers are out handing out donuts and coffee to people in line, even at the huge stores. Yes, there are some overzealous folks out there, but generally speaking I've had a better time shopping Black Friday than some of the weekends I shop for my normal groceries.

This year my son is going out with us at midnight (well, lining up before midnight) to buy his first computer with his saved money and I expect it'll be a good time. We'll hang out in line, get a wristband for the computer, sip some coffee and head home where my computer will then be free from its Minecraft responsibilities!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Yes. People die at these ones!

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This is my list to buy at Best Buy on Thursday evening

MOVIES
    X-Men Days of Future Past
    How to Train Your Dragon 2
    Fargo
    Captain Phillips
    Divergent
    GAMES
    Walking Dead Season 2 – Xbox One
    Diablo III
    The Evil Within
    Shadows of Mordor
    Metro Redux

This is my first year not working in retail on Black Friday and it's awesome.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I try to avoid knockin' personal taste, these days

Why on earth do you feel compelled to own Divergent

Is it a gift for an enemy or what is the deal

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Too many other shoppers on black Friday.

I already don't like shopping because of other people.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I try to avoid knockin' personal taste, these days

Why on earth do you feel compelled to own Divergent

Is it a gift for an enemy or what is the deal

My wife liked it. She does not have good taste in movies. I don't care though, I just like to expand my blu ray collection when I can and double it up with something for her.

But, having worked at Best Buy for almost 12 years I can tell you that most Black Friday deals aren't worth it. The TV that they are selling for $200? It's just an old model they need to get rid of anyway.

The only thing I shop for on Black Friday are movies and games because those are actually legit deals.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    you would have to pay me

man

you would have to pay me a lot to work retail.

I was making $15 an hour in a small town in Minnesota before I left. But, I had been with Best Buy for 12 years and I'd only been making 15 for about a year.

I was also a Sales Team Leader for Appliances/Gaming/Movies/Music/Home Theater/Car Audio and was supposed to both be the leading salesman in my department while also doing all of the training and coaching for my team of about 15 people, merchandising, ad set, customer issues, floor leadership, etc, etc...

God I hate Best Buy and I'm so glad I'm done there.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2014
    Langly wrote: »
    you would have to pay me

man

I don't say this often, so enjoy it. Are you ready? Are you ready for the thing I rarely say?

Check your fucking privilege.

Tube on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think most people who work retail would also like to be paid a lot to do it.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I work minimum wage retail at a grocery store

All my money is going to a chiropractor because I can't move my arm without it hurting because of the stupid amount of people who came through my line this week who didn't think to buy a turkey in advanced

When I work wensday there is a good chance I will be screamed at because we are out of something

At worst I will be the one person who has food thrown at them every year

Fuck

This

Season

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Oh yeah, and I will likely need to buy new clothes this season as well

Because customers love to play chicken with us with their cars and splash us with melting snow and that tends to ruin uniforms

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    That sounds horrible, I'm sorry. Though I worked in a specific type of retail for five years and things were bad it was never at the point where people threw stuff at me, thats barbaric. I'm sorry Blue.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I've done black friday sales a couple of times.

it's horrible. it combines two things I hate the most: large crowds of people and shopping.

and the stuff that's super cheap is usually garbage if you research it a little.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm working 4:30 in the afternoon to 12 midnight on fucking Thanksgiving. Black Friday has always sucked but it does at least tend to go by quickly, and doesn't interfere with a holiday. Now it does. This and Christmas are the only two holidays I really care about, family wise, since the side of them we go visit are pretty cool. No more of that!

Fuck Black Friday. Don't go to Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart. I work for Best Buy. Fuck em. Some places are deliberately staying closed on Thanksgiving, like Costco apparently. Take your business there.

Yet another reason to like Costco. Wish we had one here.

steam_sig.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Tube wrote: »
    you would have to pay me

man

I don't say this often, so enjoy it. Are you ready? Are you ready for the thing I rarely say?

I have worked minimum wage jobs almost my entire life, they were service industry jobs instead of retail, because I chose to do that instead of retail. it was only in the past few years that I was able to support myself and my family without them.

Langly on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My buddy works in the busiest wal-mart in town.

I feel for him this week.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I have never worked retail, and I'm thankful for that.

at least doing tech support I could hang up on someone being a shitbox.

not much you can do when they're staring you in the face.

My favorite thing was the guy who screamed at me because he was going to be late because his food rang up wrong (thanks deli)

So he yells at me for he five minutes it takes a manager to come fix it, leaves

Then proceeds to sit down on our bench and hang out for over a hour

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    I actually really liked working on Black Friday. Granted I never lived in a town where it was ever dangerous. The day flies by because it's so busy and if you let yourself you can actually manage to have fun.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Reminds me of when I'd work Valentine's or Mother's Day, the work building up to it was awful but on the actual day it was good to see orders sail out of the shop and just chill out a bit by the afternoon, we'd just be jazzed up on red bull and chocolate by then.

The next days after when complaints rolled in though... nope.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »
    you would have to pay me

man

I have worked minimum wage jobs almost my entire life, they were service industry jobs instead of retail, because I chose to do that instead of retail. it was only in the past few years that I was able to support myself and my family without them.

You shouldn't find it too hard to appreciate how inadvertently condescending what you said was then.

The days leading up to Black Friday were the worst. We would be there until at least 1am prepping the store on Wednesday night so it could be ready for Black Friday.

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Anyone know the best place to get surround sound for my office on Friday? And what I should be looking for (Sound bar, actually surround sound, etc)?

Depends, if you have the space a separate component system is going to always get you the best sound. Surround sound from a soundbar is pretty mediocre unless you spend cash money on the Bose or one of the high end Samsung units.

If you can find a home theater in a box that actually comes with a receiver instead of all integrating with a blu ray player, that can be a cheap way to get decent surround sound.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I like to show up Friday afternoon to see the damage & appraise the leftovers at places like Target or Best Buy.

I am effectively this:

scaryvlad21.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

As a best Buy employee I found it hilirious that the Radio Shack across the street is opening at 8 AM on thanksgiving.

No one shops at Radio Shack

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Honestly, Best Buy is WAY better to work for then GameStop or Home Depot.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I like to show up Friday afternoon to see the damage & appraise the leftovers at places like Target or Best Buy.

I am effectively this:

scaryvlad21.jpg

This is a good way to do it!

I know I got half of my family's gifts picking through what we had leftover at Walmart after my shift was over one of the years I did it

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Petsmart is having a good online sale. I got my cat another cat tree!

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bucketman wrote: »

As a best Buy employee I found it hilirious that the Radio Shack across the street is opening at 8 AM on thanksgiving.

No one shops at Radio Shack

Which is a shame. They have such great deals on Walkmans, radios with both AM and FM capability, and televisions with high-quality mechanical dials.

iwantanswers3.png
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    you would have to pay me

man

Ehh, retail ain't all bad. Office Depot actually gives commission on sales in addition to hourly wages, and they're really good about giving me time off for school/personal vacations when I ask.

Like you have to deal with unreasonable people but you learn to deal with it easily enough.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227