As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] [Kingdom] Who put these Crossroads here anyway?

124»

• fraxfrax Registered User regular
    Commitments have come up, and I'm also going to have to step out - my apologies.

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Very well.

@Smaggler, you're up. Come up with a concept for your character, the role you wish to fill, then establish a relationship with Consul Vido. Auralynx will establish a bond with you.

@enlightenedbum‌ , does your character have a reaction to the previous scene?

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • SmagglerSmaggler Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @The Brayster@frax If you don't mind I'll take over Frax's concept just to keep things moving. It won't be the same obviously, but we don't interrupt flow. Is that ok?

Smaggler on
    If you're okay with that, go ahead! I'm not going to say no to keeping the flow moving.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sorry was busy last week

Andrew thinks that the Order's legitimate business interests can never be fully realized if people keep going off half-cocked like Tommy did.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited November 2014
    Okay for the final part of my turn, I need to advance a 'card'. There's a part of me that wants to tick Crisis, as the situation could very well lead to one, but as most members seem to be of a unified mind, I think I'll just advance us towards the Crossroad.

CROSSROAD!: Will the Order blackmail the Police Department to keep their distance?
    Police Chief Williams and his squad of detectives are investigating one of the junior members of the Order. The nature of the crime is unclear, but with a prohibition of Magic still very much in place, the Order can't afford to let the more narrow-minded elements of the Law get too close, regardless of the guilt of the offender. A forged letter, or conjured photograph could do wonders to keep men silent...

YES:
    Tommy Madison will be cured with impotence as an example (englightenedbum)

The police will retaliate with 'undercover' operatives

NO:
    Tommy Madison will be arrested* (Auralynx)

The practices of the Order will be exposed to the Law (The Brayster)

Popular Mood: Members of the Order fear we lack the ability to prevent the Police from poking into our affairs (Consul Vido)

(Popular mood remains persistent until a Touchstone says otherwise).
    Progress: > - - - - -

CRISIS:

- - - - - -

TIME PASSES:

- - - - -

Thus my turn is concluded. @Auralynx‌, you're up next. Set a scene, tell us which other players are there and why. Then we'll play the scene, post reactions, then you can advance one of the 'cards'.

The Brayster on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Scene:
    All right. This new scene follows near-immediately on the one we just concluded, and features Sebastian Drake @Smaggler, and Andrew "Numbers" Copic @enlightenedbum debating what to do about Tommy Madison with Sandy Murray at the Hastings Home for the Departed, in one of the back rooms. Mrs. Westin-Harding @Consul Vido may become present, at Vido's option.

Context: Numbers is involved because he's got a much better idea who Tommy is and what he regularly does than either Sandy or Drake - feel free to fill in some blanks for us - and because he's got access to the Hastings Home for the Departed, which is one of the few places to plan something like this off the radar which is still safe to discuss Order business in detail in. Drake wants to pursue a more-permanent solution to the Tommy Madison problem than Sandy is interested in, and the two are having trouble coming up with a plan and have sought Andrew's advice. Currently they're arguing.
    The three men sit at in plush chairs at a long table half-piled with books. Photographs - mostly innocuous - of the Order members at various social gatherings decorate the small drawing-room; most of the books relate to the occult, antiquarianism, or history. A rather ominous Egyptian sarcophagus decorates the wall opposite the entrance, and the eyes seem to stare at the occupants.

"Okay, look," Sandy growls, "I'm not going to do that, Drake. That's just crazy."

Leaning back in his chair, he sighs and closes his eyes, knocking on the chair arm to let out some of his tension. Drake's tricky to deal with, as far as Sandy's concerned, but he's usually not this unreasonable. Maybe there's some kind of personal grudge at work? He's not sure; Drake's hard to read.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited November 2014
    Drake appears unusually relaxed about the whole affair as if he has something up his sleeve. He's been eyeing Sandy in his chair for a better part of the last few minutes, the rain on the windows being the only distraction from what is growing into a tense situation.

"This entanglement is so easily solved, I'm not sure why you can't see this solution. Our talents allow us great leverage over the common man. Why does the order need to take a fall when we can flip the tables entirely?"

A peel of thunder, and a flash of lightning, seem to emphasize his point. "Besides, I'm sure Numbers would love to get the extra political clout. As to Tommy, he's just overzealous, if his passion can be controlled he'll turn out to be a fine member."

Drake mutters an old poetic Egyptian incantation, no real magic involved, just the cadence of it calms him.

Smaggler on
    edited November 2014
    Copic is annoyed and his demeanor shows it. He gets up to pace and organize his thoughts.

"Political clout is all well and good, but if Tommy goes unpunished, more incidents like these will happen. Dealing with a crisis anytime some impulsive low level moron gets in a fight over a girl will distract us from our long term goals." Finally sitting down, he interlocks his fingers in his lap. He smiles, a decision made.

"I'm not necessarily opposed to blackmailing the police, but we have to demonstrate that behavior like Tommy's cannot go unpunished."

I will arrange to have Tommy cursed with impotence to make an example of him.

enlightenedbum on
  • Consul VidoConsul Vido Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    After knocking on the door, Mrs. Westin-Hastings enters the room.

"Gentlemen, pardon my intrusion on your meeting, but if you are discussing the difficulties young Mr. Madison has caused, I thought I should speak with you."

She crosses the room and lays a hand delicately on the sarcophagus, gazing adoringly into its eyes for a moment before turning to face the men.

"I have already had several of our members approach me, gentlemen. They are worried. They fear we lack the ability to prevent the police from poking into our affairs. Whatever you decide to do about Mr. Madison, we need to demonstrate to our members that we have the power to protect them."

edited November 2014
    Drake, taking measure of the room, feels he knows whats coming next. "Numbers, I will of course defer to you regarding Tommy. You know him a great deal more than I do."

Drake stands and walks over to a bookcase with a view of the window. Gazing outside under his breath he quietly states, "Of course, if we choose this course [blackmail] they will retaliate with 'undercover' operations against us."

Turning back to Westin-Hastings, Drake finds himself agreeing with her albeit begrudgingly.

"For once, I agree with her, we should show our membership that we are not fading quietly into the night."

With an eyebrow raised he turns to Sandy to see his reaction to the room.

Smaggler on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Sandy shakes his head at Mrs. Westin-Hastings.

"Ma'am, if the Order's rank-and-file are scared you can't protect them from the police, I don't blame them. Even so, if there are still people behaving the way Tommy has been, then there are still too many people with their heads stuck in the pulps in your ranks. You can maybe get the right people to look the other way about this, but what about next time?

I don't like it, but I think Numbers maybe has the right idea. People have to know that if The Order steps in to get them out of trouble they're going to have to pay for what they did anyway."

Sandy gets up and heads for the door.

"Drake, Copic, you guys figure it out. If I help you with this, I'll lose my job; I'm just going to have to pretend I don't know anything."

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited November 2014
    I'm good with closing the scene there, unless someone wants to add something. @The Brayster‌ at the risk of sounding impatient, are we waiting for something specific?

Smaggler on
    As the author of the scene, it is up to Auralynx to decide when it is appropriate to end it. A scene doesn't necessarily have to see the end of the action, but it does require that everyone involved get the chance to influence the scene. When everyone has had the chance to use (or shelve) their power in the scene, and it seems clear that the scene is moving in the direction of one of the three tracks, that is when it is time to end it.

Sounds like we'd better move on. I'll advance Crisis.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

We need to go through reactions first, starting with the Author. Whether it's to the scene itself or information presented within. 'No reaction' is a valid response.

Then a progress card is advanced.

Then the next player takes over

Sandy wishes this had never become his problem in the first place and is disgusted by the Order's priorities.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Drake is confident the order is doing 'the right thing', and begins ordering and collecting supplies for the magic that will soon be needed.

Copic is pleased by the lack of objection to his plan.

No reaction.

@The Brayster‌ I think we're ready for the next scene, who's on deck? @Auralynx‌ Chose Crisis for the card.

No reaction.
    yup, @smaggler is up next. When I get home I'll update the OP chart with progress and consequences

Scene: (Location: Amelia Westin-Hastings Dining Room) Characters: @The Brayster@Consul Vido‌ Shaw and Amelia discussing issues concerning the order and standard book keeping meeting. There's a knock on the door.

Secondary Characters: Wealthy young Mr. Thomas Bluhm (Smaggler)- his family is facing ruin by the hands of a rival family "Accardo". He's seeking an existential answer as the lawyers, judges, and police seem to be bought off and turned against the Bluhm family. He is dressed the part of a wealthy Chicago aristocrat though he looks harried and hasn't slept much lately, obviously near the end of his rope.

Bluhm has brought along a skeptical younger brother (Dyllon - Open to whomever wants to play him) who thinks magic is a farce but he's willing to go along with his crazy brother's plan for now.

"Please Ms Hastings, you gotta see me," Thomas pleads at the door. "I'll make your help well worth your time." His umbrella folded, he glances at his Brother Dyllon who obviously still disagrees with this plan.

Mrs. Hastings eyes the brothers for a moment, sizing them up, particularly the doubtful Dyllon. Then she smiles slightly.

"Jessica, you may let them in." The maid opens the door for the two young men. "I will be with you in one moment. You will wait here, please."

Returning to the dining room, Amelia again seats herself at the table opposite Mr. Shaw. "Alexander, a pair of young gentlemen are here. They seem desperate, but look to have sufficient means for us to at least listen to their request, if you have no objections?"

Alexander gives a slight wink as he finishes off his glass of wine.

"Certainly, let them in. The urgency and timing of this visit obviously indicates something important is going on"

"Please send them in, Jessica."

When the young men enter the dining room, she gestures them to seats at the table. "Would you care for a drink, gentlemen? Tell us what has brought you to see us in this dreadful weather."

Handing is coat and umbrella to Jessica, Thomas makes his way back to the table, nodding his ascent to a drink quite readily.

"Yes please that would be delightful."

Shivering slightly he sits down not quite sure what to make of the other man at the table. Sensing he has little choice, he proceeds.

"Years ago, my father approached a rival... cult. They gave us protection and wealth for his...," he glances sidelong at his brother and states under his breath, "sacrifice."

"That pact seems to have been broken recently due to some unforeseen events. And whilst my family cares little for these types of biddings; actually truth be told they believe wholeheartedly in the prohibition of what they deem ridiculous arts, I wish to find an end to our current predicament. I need the Accardo family to leave our holdings alone, and I need that ward of wealth and protection to be restored around our lineage."

He seems a bit nervous as he talks quietly, he draws his handkerchief from his damp suit and rubs at his forehead.

"Father told me it may come to this someday and I needed to be willing to make the hard choices. So here I am. Can you assist us?"

Silently calling upon Isis for insight, Mrs. Westing-Hastings regards the two brothers serenely for a few moments, her steady gaze seeming to penetrate their very souls. There is something about them that does not seem right to her, an elusive presence lurking at the edge of her awareness.

"It is very possible that we can help you, Mister Bluhm. However, it will take some time to prepare a ceremony of this kind."

Rising, Amelia gestures for the two men to proceed her toward the door. "If you will leave your address, we will have someone get in contact with you once arrangements have been made."

As she ushers the two men through the door, she turns back to face her associate. Her expression is troubled. Some other force is at work here.
    I wasn't sure how much we want to extend this scene. Feel free to continue the discussion at the entryway, or we can end it here.

Mr. Bluhm appears crestfallen and yet for some reason relieved.

"Very well, please be in touch soon," He states, though his voice cannot hide his dejected tone. His demeanor changes slightly, as if he isn't quite as helpless as he first appeared and ushers his brother down the hall away from the apartment.
    Unexpected end to scene and the Isis insight was spot on. There were some tie-ins, but they'll have to wait for now.

Reaction: (None from Drake)

Card Advance: Crossroads

Shaw is very concerned. Anyone knowing of the existence of magical 'cults' who also supports the prohibition of magic runs a very high risk of becoming an obstacle for the Order to overcome.

Sandy doesn't know enough to judge, but would be pretty concerned about any institutional corruption of the police.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Amelia is troubled by the mystery of the Bluhm family's plight and plans to ask others in the Order to investigate them further before proceeding.
    I wrote like five different posts in response to the Bluhm brothers plea, but wasn't sure how to proceed. I guess I could have PMed you, Smaggler, to see where you wanted to go with it. Sorry if I cut your scene off short.

No reaction.

edited November 2014
    No worries, we'll see where it takes us. Part of the fun of Kingdoms.

Smaggler on
    I do believe that makes it my turn.

New Scene: A Demanding Father Intrudes
    Location: The office of Mr. Andrew Copic at the Chicago Theatre
    Characters: @Smaggler @enlightenedbum Numbers and Drake are considering logistics for their plan to deal with the police interference when Mr. Madison rudely bursts through the door, followed by Mrs. Madison.
    Secondary characters: Gerald "Jerry" Madison (me) and Mrs. Madison (open) Mr. Madison is a brute of a man, known for being a boor, but his connections in the shipping industry have greatly aided the Order in smuggling arcane contraband under the watchful eyes of the police.

"Good, you're both here!" Jerry plops down in a chair as if he owns the place and takes turns staring at Drake and Numbers. "I wanna know what's being done, fellas! How are you keeping them cops off my boy Tommy?"

Probably going to be on break until at least Friday. Tomorrow's a teacher licensing exam, then Thanksgiving and what not.