As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming PC to TV

Just looking for the simplest and/or cheapest way to get my PC to broadcast to my TV. Mainly want it to play certain games (ones that I can use a controller with). The only solution I know of is to just get a really long HDMI and connect it, but the length that would be needed to keep it out of the way would be too expensive. Even one that would just go across the floor (which would annoy the shit out of my wife) would still be pretty pricey.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I don't know if there is a solution that will allow you to stream games to your TV and have them be playable.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    How long are you looking at? because if you don't buy it at like best buy a long hdmi cable is pretty cheap. Monoprice has them for about $1/foot or less.

Otherwise your looking at wireless hdmi which will run you about $200, or if you have an 700 series or newer nvidia gpu then you could get a Nividia shield tablet and use the shadowplay feature, but that's $300.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    I have a 760. I have considered the Shadowplay but yeah... That's a bit of cash.

Never heard of monoprice before. I would think a 25 ft cable would get me by. I'll look on there and also figure out exactly how long I'll need to keep it out of the way and keep the wife from raging on me. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    Not sure what your budget is but the DVDO AIR3 is a wireless HDMI solution if you don't have a way to do direct with a cable. There was a slickdeal on it that ends tonight: dailysale.com/deal/sale/1080/

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    oh ya if your only going 25 or 30 feet then an hdmi cable is the easiest way to do it.

then just get some raceway and paint it the same as your room colour and your wife won't even notice.
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052005&p_id=8288&seq=1&format=2

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Aside from cabling, I would consider a less immediately satisfying option: wait. Assuming your games are playable on steam (I think that's a fair assumption in this day and age), http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/ is probably what you want. However, the living room box is still in flux. Valve is still working on the OS, and is lining up hardware support and vendors for supposedly a 2014 prototype release. Which means in 2015 you should expect some real options.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Step 1. pitch the idea of building/buying a steam box.
    2. if wife is ok, then win
    3. if she goes you are nuts then suggest well i could run some new cables which would cost me like 20 bucks but you might see the cable
    4. prosper in your frugality while you are playing games on your pc

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Step 1. pitch the idea of building/buying a steam box.
    2. if wife is ok, then win
    3. if she goes you are nuts then suggest well i could run some new cables which would cost me like 20 bucks but you might see the cable
    4. prosper in your frugality while you are playing games on your pc

Plus, she might say no in the beginning, get pissed about the cables all over the place, and then let you get a Steam Box any way!

Also, the nVidia Shield hand-helds are cheaper than the tablets, and also have Mini HDMI. Could play your games in bed, AND have a shorter cable from the device to the TV when you're wanting the big screen. Food for thought.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...