As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW]WARLORDS OF DRAENOR: 2015, the Year of the Elekk

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mandatory resists were some of the worst mechanics ever. It basically becomes a dumb gear check that punishes you for not being lucky to get gear from somewhere else (because prior to bc there wasn't a thing as badge gear).

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mandatory resists were some of the worst mechanics ever. It basically becomes a dumb gear check that punishes you for not being lucky to get gear from somewhere else (because prior to bc there wasn't a thing as badge gear).

And that's why I spent 3 days (not "evenings", 3 whole days of time) in Mauradon, killing a boss 20 levels under me for a stupid belt.

It's another reason I'm glad with the stat squish they went to stats that are nice but not game breaking if you don't get enough of one or too little of another.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It's another reason I'm glad with the stat squish they went to stats that are nice but not game breaking if you don't get enough of one or too little of another.

Fire Mages and Fury warriors are still crit dependent though.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    Well obviously there will still be some classes that benefit from certain stats more than others. But its better than having to be hit capped for all classes or crit capped for tank classes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So has anyone swam down into the Zangar Sea to see how much of Zangarmarsh is down there?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I'm debating disabling any Epic followers that are 100 to open slots for lower level and lower quality followers.

The benefit is more followers that can benefit from xp; but the drawback is losing the ability to counter some of the harder missions where you basically need epic followers with multiple counters.

Hrm.

EDIT: I'm not totally sure what the utility of limiting active followers or having an arbitrary limit on how many you can activate a day.

Why does it matter?

I would assume it's so people can't churn through the super hard 615+ missions with ease. You can get next tier raid quality gear (if you're doing LFR, you can get Normal iLevel) from missions. They're super rare to get but they've said you'll probably get the opportunity for a few pieces before a new raid opens up.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    I dunno how it'd make it 'with ease' since you're still bottlenecked on available 100 missions no matter how many followers you have; even with only 3 of my 25 followers not level 100 I'm only getting 1 or 2 100 missions a day now. I think their hotfix to give lower level followers more missions swung way too hard in the other direction.

edited November 2014
    I dunno how it'd make it 'with ease' since you're still bottlenecked on available 100 missions no matter how many followers you have; even with only 3 of my 25 followers not level 100 I'm only getting 1 or 2 100 missions a day now. I think their hotfix to give lower level followers more missions swung way too hard in the other direction.

Odd, I'm getting about 5-10 level 100 missions a day now, with about 40-50% of those being iLevel 615.

Saldonas on
    edited November 2014
    I only have one 100 above 615 atm since I've been focused on getting 100's first; but yeah, I didn't have a single 100 mission waiting for me when I logged in this morning.

Turns out 4 of my 25 active followers are under 100; I just probably have incredibly bad luck with follower missions on my paladin like I do for every other things. In the 414 missions I've done, for instance, I've not got one reroll coin mission; but every other alt I have a level 1 garrison on has.

EDIT: before the hotfix I had a wall of 100's when i only had a handful of 100 follwers and mostly lower level followers; to the point that some were expiring before I could get to them; but now it's flip flopped. I had 6 level 90/91 missions this morning, when only one follower is below level 97. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Rain of Fire was a significant DPS gain on single target and it shouldn't be.

The difference between Rain of Fire and other AoE is that Destruction can just plop a few down and go about their business at the same time.

You have 2 instant cast charges of a spell to burn while moving, and ideally if you need to be casting and moving you'll know ahead of time and can save them for that.

For AoE you still have fire and forget Rain of Fire as well as the cool down that turns everything into an AoE and another one that lets you Chaos Bolt two things at once.

With all of the other buffs it evens out perfectly.

This is a terrible post. That change seriously fucked up Destro warlocks in every scenario. It was a huge nerf to a spec that didn't need a huge nerf.

It didn't fuck it up at all, the only thing it did was make it so you couldn't just lay down Rain of Fire and scum a meter.

The difference between Rain of Fire and other AoE is that Destruction can just plop a few down and go about their business at the same time.

You have 2 instant cast charges of a spell to burn while moving, and ideally if you need to be casting and moving you'll know ahead of time and can save them for that.

For AoE you still have fire and forget Rain of Fire as well as the cool down that turns everything into an AoE and another one that lets you Chaos Bolt two things at once.

This is a terrible post. That change seriously fucked up Destro warlocks in every scenario. It was a huge nerf to a spec that didn't need a huge nerf.

It didn't fuck it up at all, the only thing it did was make it so you couldn't just lay down Rain of Fire and scum a meter.

Considering that's not something that you did to begin with, you're agreeing that it was a nerf that solved no problems?

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

I'd love you to explain how you can keep enough embers to keep FNB going now. And hell, it has fucked up even single target stuff due to that.

And this wasn't a spec that needed nerfs. destro locks weren't even close to top DPS before. My DK had better AOE and single target DPS, with the better AOE extending to even tank spec.

It was a poorly thought out change. Locks are pretty bad right now.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I think Blizz saw that RoF was being used as a baseline part of a single-target rotation and said "Oh shit, we don't want that."

But RoF was being used because it played an actual role in that rotation, not just for damage, and Blizz didn't provide something to backfill that role. (I don't actually play Destro, but this is what I'm gathering from forums/reddit).

So in essence, they said "Your rotation was working too well, so we killed it." I'm hoping that wasn't actually the intent, but at best it means this was a knee-jerk balancing response to a problem that was much deeper than an AoE spell simply being a better choice during single target situations.

People were using on single target because the DoT was just that strong.

Which was too strong.

They didn't kill the rotation. They just changed it so the AoE spell would be used on large numbers of trash AoE pulls and not on single target and not so you got instant full embers from it.

Take the Everbloom for example.

Did you pull a bunch of the flowers with two of those tree dudes?

Lay down RoF for the flowers, focus brown tree guy havoc a chaos bolt to hit blue tree guy.

Bloodmaul slag mines with it's pulls of two and three ogres? Not something that needs AoE spam.

All of the little fire elementals? Throw out RoF and focus the big ones.

Your AoE spell getting nerfed doesn't kill your class, your spec, or your rotation.

Especially since everything else got buffed!

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Hearing feedback, I feel kind of bad for Blizzard that their big 10 year anniversary events sound like a big ol disappointment. People seem determined to slog through them for the item at the end, and hate it the entire way

because it's awful

I have a really difficult time imagining how they thought it wouldn't be awful; I mean, surely they must have tested the new MC at least once or twice

the whole thing is a cavalcade of bullshit; that was also true at 60, but at least at 60 you had a reasonably organized raid that wasn't a quarter offline/afk/trolling the rest of the raid all the time

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    RoF was used on single targets because it generated embers, not for its damage. They substantially buffed destro ST damage overall. RoF being used in the ST rotation was clunky and dumb and it should've been permanently fixed a while ago.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    Hearing feedback, I feel kind of bad for Blizzard that their big 10 year anniversary events sound like a big ol disappointment. People seem determined to slog through them for the item at the end, and hate it the entire way

because it's awful

I have a really difficult time imagining how they thought it wouldn't be awful; I mean, surely they must have tested the new MC at least once or twice

the whole thing is a cavalcade of bullshit; that was also true at 60, but at least at 60 you had a reasonably organized raid that wasn't a quarter offline/afk/trolling the rest of the raid all the time

Man clearly you're vanilla raids were different than mine!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I think people love to congregate around the complain train with this game, which is kind of sad. I guess that's all I'll say about that.

I did the new MC. I had a blast! I even did it on the same druid that I used to run it on back when MC was the only raid. The nostalgia was real. Watching newbies fail the simple mechanics was also amusing to me. It was, at least for me, exactly what I was hoping for- a direct connection to the real experience. An experience that I rather enjoyed back in the day, and enjoyed going back to just as a nice full circle.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    I think people love to congregate around the complain train with this game, which is kind of sad. I guess that's all I'll say about that.

I did the new MC. I had a blast! I even did it on the same druid that I used to run it on back when MC was the only raid. The nostalgia was real. Watching newbies fail the simple mechanics was also amusing to me. It was, at least for me, exactly what I was hoping for- a direct connection to the real experience. An experience that I rather enjoyed back in the day, and enjoyed going back to just as a nice full circle.

There were a few moments it was fun, like when the people that knew the mechanics like 6 manned 70% of shazz and geddon. Also anyone that says the anniversary MC is anything like old MC never did old MC. It was necessary to cleanse the debuffs off of everyone on those bosses, those debuffs would wipe raids. Also garr's adds would kill all the melee if they all blew up next to each other. Most of the bosses can be just raced down right now. Really this is just MC lite. I think it would have been a lot more popular if it at least dropped heroic dungeon level loot, which wouldnt overpower everyone and it would be a nice "thanks for 10 years, here's a gear boost for the beginning of wod". Instead its just wooo lets loot gold from 9 bosses before we kill rag and get a helm that will be replaced in a few weeks.

Old MC was a loot pinata, and thats why people ran it. People also ran it because they were doing it with 40 friends and anyone that did that knows 40+ person vent could be an interesting place to hang out. People arent nostalgic for the instance itself, it's the environment that it was done in. It was 40 people you got along with in a relaxed environment you could get loot in. 40 man raids were great because they were lenient on if some people died or were afk most of the time. Everyone has had an epic fight where 3 rogues evasion tanked the last 10% of a boss, or a tank and 3 healers were the only ones up and took the boss down from 15% (distinctly remember a sartura of that). Enrage timers don't let things like that happen, either everyone does the boss or everyone fails, there are no heroes for the day.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Man. If you think MC 1.0 was a pinata, you did it WELL after release. At the time that it came out, it was fairly far from "push button, receive bacon", given that the best gear in the game till then was like, UBRS and Scholo.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    the problem with MC is that it takes too fucking long

my buddy was in there four hours the other night and didn't finish and had to go and so didn't get his hat

Yeah they really should have filled Anniversary Molten Core with iLevel 630 versions of the original gear without the class specifications.

It's just not worth the slog.

Hell I replaced the 640 with a 630 with better itemization that was worth the 10 intellect difference

when they announced the anniversary MC, I assumed it would be just rag or a couple bosses or something and that it would be pretty quick, not the whole instance with actual obnoxious trash that can easily wipe you.

and even if you do want to try and re-create the experience of running it with your guild, you substantially can't because you can only queue for it with 10 people at a time.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    In addition to it being an unfun slog, I'm really disappointed with Blizzard that they felt they had to gate it, not only do you have to be 100 but a gear level restriction also. It's like they went, "Let's have a fun event to say thanks to everyone who supported us all this time!" and then gave the project to the guy who convinced them to gut LFR. It's a bit of a dick move towards their more casual/time poor players given it comes just after the expansion launch.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    EDIT: I'm not totally sure what the utility of limiting active followers or having an arbitrary limit on how many you can activate a day.

Why does it matter?
    Yeah, I asked this (rhetorical) question in the last thread when I first came across the ridiculously punitive cap/reactivation mechanic.

It feels like any time Blizzard makes a "new thing," they feel a need to make it needlessly harsh and full of old-school bullshit. Then you just hope and pray that a concentrated enough player campaign against the nonsense aspects will make them realize that "hey, new thing would be a lot more fun without all these dumb restrictions" and actually devote the man-hours to addressing the issues.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    MC pissed me off because the first few times going in, we got group-dropped right before Rag. Not to mention a bunch of trolls constantly pulling on some fights and overall just people not paying attention or allowing someone to lead. It was terrible.

I slogged through that crap to get my mount and was done. I did not enjoy any of that, at all, but it was doable and it was done, so.. there is that.

At this point I am just gonna log once a day to grab work orders and general my profession cooldowns until raiding starts, and then it will just be twice a week for raid nights. The game plays like Animal Crossing or Farmville for things that matter to me, so I'm basically done with this expansion already.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    RoF was used on single targets because it generated embers, not for its damage. They substantially buffed destro ST damage overall. RoF being used in the ST rotation was clunky and dumb and it should've been permanently fixed a while ago.

I agree it was stupid that it was being used in ST rotations, but the problem is the ST rotation was not buffed because you're starved for embers all the time now.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Previous thread I was nervous about Heroics, but I've been doing them for the last week. They aren't actually that bad. WoD is actually a really good expansion pack. Though I can see a lot of people complaining that its too easy, casual, and not tough enough, I'm overall pretty happy with the direction the game went. For a guy with limited time every night it allows me to enjoy the game little-by-little e'ery day.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The MC I was in was especially funny. From the start of the place up to the first intersection area between Luciferon/Magmadar and the rest of the place. That tiny stretch. We shed off something like 75% of the entire raid. We weren't even doing terrible on what little trash we had done. There was just a hilarious mass exodus, leaving only about 10 or so people. It's as though people got in, realized just how naturally horrible the experience was going to be, and got the fuck out of dodge.

We eventually got a whole wack of people again and continued on. Overall, the raid was... below average. General packs and bosses were ok. We fucked up one corehound pack. Had a similar experience with the small flames after Baron that only ended when somebody was smart enough to just pull Golemagg and wipe the group. And way too many instances of post wipe train pulling, where the one pack of mobs keeps killing people because we're all running back in waves and not concentrated enough to fucking kill them.

I got lucky and got that enchant item. I really want the pet though. But... ugh.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    I have been dreading MC because it just looks like 3-4 hours sunk.

I already have a 640 hat from challenge modes and a 636 hat better than even that from just Heroics.

I might wait until an alt and hopefully it becoming better? Core hound mount is soooooooooo silly huge. I sort of want one but I almost resent it.

Can you imagine 6.1/6.2? They'll release Tannan jungle but you'll never find the quest givers trapped in between core hound ass.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You assholes, I put like 100 hours into MC already. Just gimme the mount.

What is this I don't even.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The area around Khadgar's tower (and inside it) really needs a once-over on guards for PvP servers.

Surprised people keep on intentionally killing the Innkeeper lady next to him for some reason. And that there really isn't a response.

He should, at least, turn to you and fireball your ass into the n'th dimension.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Khadgar's innkeeper must be related to Gamon or something. The repairs guy outside is also attackable, for whatever reason. It's weird, half the NPCs there are Kirin Tor (the old rep) and half of them are just neutral and attackable.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Hah, I just actually looked at today's PA comic.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Yeah, it seems that Timeless Isle time wasting geography works really well in Nagrand. Died pretty stupidly on a cliff trying to reach a mammoth for stables quest and had to ghost walk all the way from Shattrath graveyard.
    Fuck them and that kind of backwards design.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Question in regards to Rain of Fire. I don't have a "channel" bar anymore when I cast that spell. Did they remove that? Do I just put RoF somewhere and go on to cast the next spell?

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    RoF is set and forget now. It just doesn't do much damage.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    AFAIK, it has been that way for a while now. Blizzard is channeled, RoF is spam.

This discussion has been closed.