As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Three Card Blind: Magic The Gathering! Rise of Rise of the Eldrazi

124Β»

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    My thing was against the rules! Threw together a new and terrible thing.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Alright, I think I've gotten it updated. No change in the final winner, but a bit more jockeying for position in the rear.
    ZeroCow wrote: Β»
    I posted a list under the last round. Should I resubmit it on the form?

Yes, please.

• Options
    Magic amateur hour question. Can instant speed artifact removal kill a Lotus before it fires?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    No. You would not receive priority in time. (that's the simple answer that should suffice for purposes of this competition)

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    In normal Magic the answer is more complicated. ☺

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    FeralFeral οΌ­οΌ₯οΌ­οΌ₯οΌ΄οΌ©οΌ£οΌ¨οΌ‘οΌ²οΌ©οΌΊοΌ‘οΌ²οΌ€ interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝΙ₯Κ‡ Ηα΄‰ΚŒoΙ― ʇǝloɹʌǝΙ₯Ι” ɐ ΗΚŒα΄‰ΙΉp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Priority doesn't matter at all.

(The answer is still "no.")

If you want to prevent a Black Lotus from giving its owner mana, you have to counter it as it's being cast with something like Force of Will or Artifact Blast.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: Β»

If you want to prevent a Black Lotus from giving its owner mana, you have to counter it as it's being cast with something like Force of Will or Artifact Blast.

Or: Stifle/Trickbind/?

• Options

Priority does matter a little bit because if I pass priority and you target it with whatever then I can still pop it, but now I can only use the mana for an instant or something with flash or to unmorph something.

And I realize that it would still fire per the question, but by passing priority its uses become much more limited.

Or use Krosan Grip.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    ZeroCow wrote: Β»

Priority does matter a little bit because if I pass priority and you target it with whatever then I can still pop it, but now I can only use the mana for an instant or something with flash or to unmorph something.

And I realize that it would still fire per the question, but by passing priority its uses become much more limited.

Or use Krosan Grip.

Er, Krosan grip wouldn't prevent me from popping the lotus, since popping Black Lotus is a mana ability.

And the mana stays in your mana pool until the end of the phase. So, I played lotus, passed priority, and you tried to crush it, then I pop it, allow crush to fizzle, and then use the mana on my main phase.

Of course, if you crushed it on your turn, I'd have to blow it on an instant.

• Options

Or: Stifle/Trickbind/?

Stifle and Trickbind can't target mana abilities, like the Lotus.

• Options
    So, what with this being a holiday weekend, I figure we'll keep this round open until Wednesday.

• Options
    Yeah, forgot about the dreaded Mana Ability clause, that forlorn rule that haunts the italicized text of random cards to this day.

At least we can still preemptively Null Rod it!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Abrupt Decay is worth how much now?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FeralFeral οΌ­οΌ₯οΌ­οΌ₯οΌ΄οΌ©οΌ£οΌ¨οΌ‘οΌ²οΌ©οΌΊοΌ‘οΌ²οΌ€ interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝΙ₯Κ‡ Ηα΄‰ΚŒoΙ― ʇǝloɹʌǝΙ₯Ι” ɐ ΗΚŒα΄‰ΙΉp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ten bucks.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    See, that makes much more sense.

I jumped onto CoolStuffInc to see about their sales and they had it listed at $70, down from $80. I love that card in my janky Golgari decks, but I can't imagine it being worth bank. It's solid removal but you still have to pay for it and it doesn't really combo with anything in a degenerate fashion.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    See, that makes much more sense.

I jumped onto CoolStuffInc to see about their sales and they had it listed at $70, down from $80. I love that card in my janky Golgari decks, but I can't imagine it being worth bank. It's solid removal but you still have to pay for it and it doesn't really combo with anything in a degenerate fashion.

Yeah, I don't understand why it spiked. Maybe to meta against Jeskai Ascendancy. It's back down now on TCGPlayer.

• Options
    It's a Legacy staple, RTR is out of Standard, and CoolStuff had probably accidentally listed it using Abrupt Decay's foil prices. (Which are in fact $70-80.)

• Options
    Ugh. It's been a crazy, crazy week. I'll get the results out today.

• Options
    Ok, this isn't getting done tonight. Some of these decks are giving me a headache. I need to get a second opinion on a lot of them.

• Options
    Papillon	Sarpazzan Cove			Flash				Woodfall Primus			Flash
    Dis'		Saprazzan Cove			Misthollow Griffin		Force of Will			Forceful Hooting
    Peccavi		Gravecrawler			Swamp				Mutavault			Zombies!
    Lucedes		Peat Bog			Elixir of Immortality		Fume Spitter			Infinite Spit
    Jam Warrior	Diregraf Ghoul			Sinkhole				Peat Bog				Meta Prediction
    Scis		The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale	Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth		Dark Depths			Lands
    Bertro		Hollow Trees			Channel	 			Emrakul, the Aeons Torn		Channel Eldrazi
    38thdoe		mishra's factory		mishra's factory		mishra's factory		mishra's factory
    Feral		Saprazzan Cove			Hive Mind			Pact of the Titan		There's No Turd in Turducken

Papillon
    Papillon Vs Dis'
    Stalemate. Neither can play without leaving themselves open to the other.
    2 points

Papillon Vs Peccavi
    Peccavi beats down before Papillon can cast beatstick.
    0 points

Papillon Vs Lucedes
    Even with recursion tricks, since Papillon gets to stack the deck, Papillions' Primus pounds Lucedes
    6 points

Papillon Vs Jam Warrior
    Sinkhole destroys Papillion's land, giving Jam Warrior the win.
    0 points

Papillon Vs Scis
    Primus blows up the Tabernacle on turn 9, preventing the combo.
    6 points

Papillon Vs Bertro
    Run over by Eldrazi
    0 points

Papillon Vs 38thdoe
    38th wins on the play, as he gets lethal in right before the Primus drops. On the draw, the Primus comes in and forces a stalemate, as 38th will win a race, but the primus can block.
    1 point

Papillon Vs Feral
    Feral's combo goes off first, killing Papillion.
    0 points

Total: 15 points

Dis'
    Dis' Vs Papillon
    Stalemate. Neither can play without leaving themselves open to the other.
    2 points

Dis' Vs Peccavi
    Once the board stabilizes, Dis' has a 3/3 flyer, and Peccavi has 2 2/2s Peccavi wins the race, but Dis' can block. Stalemate.
    2 points

Dis' Vs Lucedes
    Dis' puts out more damage than Lucedes can handle.
    6 points

Dis' Vs Jam Warrior
    Jam Warrior sinkholes the land, drawing the counter. Dis' wins the resulting race.
    6 points

Dis' Vs Scis
    Can't counter lands, and Tabernacle makes Dis' charge up for 11 turns just to get enough mana to keep the bird on the field long enough.
    0 points

Dis' Vs Bertro
    Stalemate. Dis can't cast beatstick as then Bertro will summon Eldrazi.
    2 points

Dis' Vs 38thdoe
    38th's "creatures" are actually lands, preventing them from being FoW'd. However, once Dis' gets a 3/3 out, 38th has pulled into a life lead and if they trade, 38th will just swing with a 2/2
    0 points

Dis' Vs Feral
    Stalemate, as Force of Will prevents Feral's combo, but Dis' can't spend the mana to put the flyer out without losing to the combo.
    2 points

Total: 20 points

Peccavi
    Peccavi Vs Papillon
    6 ponts

Peccavi Vs Dis'
    Once the board stabilizes, Dis' has a 3/3 flyer, and Peccavi has 2 2/2s Peccavi wins the race, but Dis' can block. Stalemate.
    2 points

Peccavi Vs Lucedes
    Peccavi pumps out more damage than Lucedes can handle
    6 points

Peccavi Vs Jam Warrior
    Both sides end up with a 2/2, stalemating
    2 points

Peccavi Vs Scis
    Swamp, Mutavault, swing 10 times ends the game for Scis
    6 points

Peccavi Vs Bertro
    Channel Eldrazi goes Godzilla on Peccavi's Tokyo
    0 points

Peccavi Vs 38thdoe
    Stalemate as Peccavi races better but 38th doe can block better
    2 points

Peccavi Vs Feral
    Peccavi runs over Feral before the combo goes off.
    6 points

Total: 30 points

Lucedes
    Lucedes Vs Papillon
    Even with recursion tricks, since Papillon gets to stack the deck, Papillions' Primus pounds Lucedes
    0 points

Lucedes Vs Dis'
    Dis' puts out more damage than Lucedes can handle.
    0 points

Lucedes Vs Peccavi
    Peccavi pumps out more damage than Lucedes can handle
    0 points

Lucedes Vs Jam Warrior
    On the play, Jam Warrior sinkholes Lucedes tapped land before it can be used, then swings for the win
    On the draw, they stalemate as they both have creatures that can kill each other, but Lucedies can't recycle as there is no mana to do so.
    1 point

Lucedes Vs Scis
    Lucedes can't keep the 1/1 on the table without losing recursion, so Luscedes twiddles thumbs while Scis stalls until a 20/20 flyer eats Lucedes' face.
    0 points

Lucedes Vs Bertro
    Bertro's giant beatstick flies for a win.
    0 points

Lucedes Vs 38thdoe
    38th wins the long, long, long race.
    (This is one of the few I'm unsure about, so feel free to run it yourself to double check me.)
    0 points

Lucedes Vs Feral
    Feral's combo goes off, killing Lucedes.
    0 points

Total: 1 point

Jam Warrior
    Jam Warrior Vs Papillon
    6 points

Jam Warrior Vs Dis'
    Jam Warrior sinkholes the land, drawing the counter. Dis' wins the resulting race.
    0 points

Jam Warrior Vs Peccavi
    Both sides end up with a 2/2, stalemating
    2 points

Jam Warrior Vs Lucedes
    On the play, Jam Warrior sinkholes Lucedes tapped land before it can be used, then swings for the win
    On the draw, they stalemate as they both have creatures that can kill each other, but Lucedies can't recycle as there is no mana to do so.
    4 point

Jam Warrior Vs Scis
    Jam Warrior sinkholes Scis land, preventing Scis from doing anything
    6 points

Jam Warrior Vs Bertro
    Jam Warrior sinkholes Bertro's land, preventing Bertro from doing anything
    6 points

Jam Warrior Vs 38thdoe
    A draw, as sink hole blows one of the factories up, and then they're stuck in a stalemate.
    2 points

Jam Warrior Vs Feral
    Jam Warrior Sinkholes Feral's land, allowing Jam Warrior to kill Feral at any pace.
    6 points

Total: 32

Scis
    Scis Vs Papillon
    0 points

Scis Vs Dis'
    Can't counter lands, and Tabernacle makes Dis' charge up for 11 turns just to get enough mana to keep the bird on the field long enough.
    6 points

Scis Vs Peccavi
    Swamp, Mutavault, swing 10 times ends the game for Scis
    0 points

Scis Vs Lucedes
    Lucedes can't keep the 1/1 on the table without losing recursion, so Luscedes twiddles thumbs while Scis stalls until a 20/20 flyer eats Lucedes' face.
    6 points

Scis Vs Jam Warrior
    Jam Warrior sinkholes Scis land, preventing Scis from doing anything
    0 points

Scis Vs Bertro
    Charging up an extra mana to pay for the tabernacle to keep Emrakul, the Aeons Torn around doesn't delay Bertro from beating Scis
    0 points

Scis Vs 38thdoe
    Mishra's Factories dodge The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, allowing for a 38th to beat down.
    0 points

Scis Vs Feral
    Feral's combo goes off first, killing Scis
    0 points

Total: 18 points

Bertro
    Bertro Vs Papillon
    Papillon Vs Bertro
    Papillion is run over by Eldrazi
    0 points

Bertro Vs Dis'
    Stalemate. Dis can't cast beatstick as then Bertro will summon Eldrazi.
    6 points

Bertro Vs Peccavi
    Channel Eldrazi goes Godzilla on Peccavi's Tokyo
    6 points

Bertro Vs Lucedes
    Bertro's giant beatstick flies for a win.
    6 points

Bertro Vs Jam Warrior
    0 points

Bertro Vs Scis
    Charging up an extra mana to pay for the tabernacle to keep Emrakul, the Aeons Torn around doesn't delay Bertro from beating Scis
    6 points

Bertro Vs 38thdoe
    Bertro channels Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and crushes 38thDoe.
    6 points

Bertro Vs Feral
    Bertro channels Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and crushes Feral.
    6 points

Total:38

38thdoe
    38thdoe Vs Papillon
    38th wins on the play, as he gets lethal in right before the Primus drops. On the draw, the Primus comes in and forces a stalemate, as 38th will win a race, but the primus can block.
    4 points

38thdoe Vs Dis'
    38th's "creatures" are actually lands, preventing them from being FoW'd. However, once Dis' gets a 3/3 out, 38th has pulled into a life lead and if they trade, 38th will just swing with a 2/2
    6 points

38thdoe Vs Peccavi
    Stalemate, as the creatures will trade until both sides are stuck with a 2/2.
    2 points

38thdoe Vs Lucedes
    This one took me a while to work out, but Lucedes' recursion deck doesn't regain health quick enough to deal with the 3/3 factory worker swinging away every turn. Espeically when you take into account that, since shuffling is random, 38th gets to stack the deck and place the land on bottom.
    6 points

38thdoe Vs Jam Warrior
    A draw, as sink hole blows one of the factories up, and then they're stuck in a stalemate.
    2 points

38thdoe Vs Scis
    Mishra's Factories dodge The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, allowing for a 38th to beat down.
    6 points

38thdoe Vs Bertro
    Bertro channels Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and crushes 38thDoe.
    0 points

38thdoe Vs Feral
    They both take 8 turns to kill the opponent on an uncontested board, so the winner is whoever is on the play
    3 points

Total: 29 points

Feral
    Feral VS Papillon
    6 points

Feral VS Dis'
    Stalemate, as Force of Will prevents Feral's combo, but Dis' can't spend the mana to put the flyer out without losing to the combo.
    2 points

Feral VS Peccavi
    Peccavi runs over Feral before the combo goes off.
    0 points

Feral VS Lucedes
    Feral's combo goes off uncontested, killing Lucedes.
    6 points

Feral VS Jam Warrior
    Jam Warrior Sinkholes Feral's land, allowing Jam Warrior to kill Feral at any pace.
    0 points

Feral VS Scis
    Feral's combo goes off first, killing Scis
    6 points

Feral VS Bertro
    Bertro channels Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and crushes Feral.
    0 points

Feral VS 38thdoe
    They both take 8 turns to kill the opponent on an uncontested board, so the winner is whoever is on the play.
    3 points

Total:23 Points

Final Score:

Bertro: 38
    Jam Warrior: 32
    Peccavi: 30
    38thdoe: 29
    Feral: 23
    Dis': 20
    Scis: 18
    Papillon: 15
    Lucedes: 1

• Options
    ScisScis Registered User regular
    I think me vs Jam Warrior should be a draw since he can't do anything if I hold Tabernacle until after he plays his creature.

As for overall, I had a bad feeling after I submitted that everyone's anti-Chancellor decks would also get around Tabernacle and apparently I was right. Should've just gone with Thespian's Stage/Depths instead.

• Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Papillon Vs Peccavi
    0 points
    Flash Primus on T4 killing swamp, persist comes back and kills mutavault (if not animated). I'm pretty sure I win the race from here on both the play and the draw.
    Papillon Vs Scis
    6 points
    Actually T4. Late edit: assuming he plays the Tabernacle. If he doesn't play Tabernacle I'll pump Cove a few more times until I have the mana to pay the Tabernacle upkeep.
    Papillon Vs 38thdoe
    1 point
    Again, I can flash in Primus on T4. Either he has to not attack on T3 to animate his factories in response to primus triggers, or I can kill at least one factory. Either way I'm pretty sure I win the ensuing race.
    Papillon Vs Feral
    0 points
    I can flash in Primus on T4, his combo goes off T8, so I kill his cove with Primus, then finish him off with 5/5 beat down. Alternatively, if he holds cove back I can beat down with a 5/5 before his combo comes online.

Papillon on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    I'm still proud of infinite spit.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Hoorah for meta prediction! Tried to get one step ahead of a predicted land heavy round and it paid off. My banned first attempt included a Ghost Quarter.

Just wish I'd had the balls to stick by my second prediction of no Chancellors and picked up a beefier 2 mana creature instead of holding one mana back.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Also Cap. Given that we will all inevitably be going through and checking our own matchups after the announcement, rather than kill yourself trying to work them all out yourself I'd just post up the decks and crowdsource it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Woo! I won. Used my Mtgo screen name by accident.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Also Cap. Given that we will all inevitably be going through and checking our own matchups after the announcement, rather than kill yourself trying to work them all out yourself I'd just post up the decks and crowdsource it.

I think that's a good idea. For instance, I completely missed the interaction between Persist and flash.

• Options
    Right. Here we go again:

Bertro
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=4183&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=382882&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=193452&type=card

Jam Warrior
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=19644&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=202439&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=226747&type=card

Peccavi
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=389701&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=370733&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=222902&type=card

38thdoe
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=218340&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218340&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218340&type=card

Feral
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=19891&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=190556&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=130638&type=card

Dis'
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=19891&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=382943&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=276504&type=card

Scis
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=383425&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=201236&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=121155&type=card

Papillon
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=19891&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=16440&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=370406&type=card

Lucedes
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=19644&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=370681&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=209005&type=card

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Jam Warrior Vs Dis'
    0 points

I charted it out and he wins the race by just a single damage! See earlier comment about wishing I'd taken a bigger monster.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @Jam Warrior Thanks for posting the cards, I have no idea what you guys are playing without looking them up so its nice to see.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    @Jam Warrior Thanks for posting the cards, I have no idea what you guys are playing without looking them up so its nice to see.

Thanks to the card view I see (I think) I split the match against ZeroCow/bertro. If I'm on the play I can flash in Primus and destroy Hollow Trees. If he holds back the trees I flash Primus in end of his turn, then deal 20 before he can charge Trees.

If I'm counting right, this gives me a draw with ZeroCow at 35 pts each.

Papillon on