As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I gots router problems.

augustaugust where you come from is goneRegistered User regular
My folks bought a new Netgear R6250 about a month ago, which apparently worked fine for a couple weeks but now is unusably slow, and I've run out of things I know to try to fix it.

Wireless signal strength is fine. I've farted around with channel settings but we live in a subdivision where we can only really see one other network and it's on a channel that doesn't conflict.
Wired speeds are similarly poor.
Speeds are fine when plugging a pc directly into the modem.
I've used two different ethernet cables, and tried both of them when going from modem to pc, and they work fine for that. So I don't think it's the ethernet cables.
The firmware is already current.
I have of course rebooted everything about 20 times.

Help? I don't want to have my folks buy a new router if it can be helped, especially if if it's the modem (or something else) and not the router. However since speeds are fine when going directly from modem to pc I'm unsure it's that.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    OK, what modem are you using this router with? Does it have its own WiFi or multiple LAN ports?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I started getting slow speeds from the direct line from the modem as well, so I called up our provider and said all the right things for them to tell me to come to an office and trade the modem out, seems to have done the trick.

• Options
    OK, scratch that. Modem replaced, we were doing well for a while but speeds keep petering out.

The modem is a RCA DCM425. No wireless, just one ethernet port and one that looks likes usb.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    edit: triple post due to lagging internet.

august on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    edit

august on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Why are they giving you a DOCSIS 2.0 modem? They should be giving you a piece of modern equipment, not some old piece of crap.

If you're getting slow speeds from the direct connection too then the problem seems to be the modem or your computer...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that they replaced our old piece of crap with a different old piece of crap.

Right now some of our devices work well while others don't at random times. I have a Ubuntu laptop, my Dad a Windows 8.1 laptop and my Mom a Surface. My Mom and I are fine, Dad is connected but can't pull down any data or can do so very slowly.

august on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Do they charge you a modem rental fee? If they do, return the damn thing and buy your own. You'll recoup the cost, and then start saving money. That and you won't be forced to use an old piece of crap.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Netgear isn't exactly the best quality routers, I know I've never gotten one to work the way it should. Is it outside of the return window?