As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good capture devices?

I used to have a Diamond Multimedia GC500 capture device, but it got burned. Apparently, I can't even leave it plugged to the USB port when I'm not using it. Needless to say, I'm never buying a Diamond Multimedia product ever again. Not only did the device not receive any signal from PSOne and N64 games, but it got burned just because I left it plugged... (I saw no warning of the sort when flipping through the manual, either)

Are there any capture devices that can do progressive scan that don't require me to have a powerful computer? I currently have a 2GB RAM, 1.8GHZ processor setup, and soon I'll have a 1GB EVGA Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS that used to belong to my brother.

I might be able to afford a Wii U some time in the future, so an HDMI port is probably welcome, but I'd also like to be able to play Wii (with component cables), PS2 (same), PSOne, SNES, and N64 games and have the signal displayed on the capture device. Also, a capture device that doesn't break this easily would be the best.

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Anyone?

I think I have to upgrade my computer and get an Elgato or a similar brand. Which is the best? I read a comment that said the equivalent of the one I used that Roxio released also lasted about a year, so I want one that will last a long time.

• DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Avermedia and Hauppauge are two other companies that do capture devices.
    I can't speak for the Hauppauge devices but I have used Avermedia ones. One was an internal PCI Express card that had an HDMI input source and another multi splitter cable for analogue sources that handled component, s-video and RCA composite. It handled 720p60 and 1080i30.

I picked up the ExtremeCap U3 about a year ago. It's an external USB 3.0 device that does uncompressed 1080p60 as long as you have the hardware to handle it.

I do know Avermedia do a live Gamer portable device that runs on USB 2 and has hardware encoding built in. I believe you can even record to an SD card within the device.
    It has HDMI passthrough and analogue component inputs although this might not be suitable for the PSOne/N64

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
    edited November 2014
    Oh, wow, I had forgotten I asked this, sorry.

Does ExtremeCap U3 allow you to play off the computer without a TV and without a delay? What about other devices? I've been reading the questions section of the Elgato, and they keep saying you'll get some lag even if your PC is powerful. I used to have the same problem with the Diamond device, but using Media Player Classic allowed me to play without any sort of lag.

RockinX on
  • DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Oh, wow, I had forgotten I asked this, sorry.

Does ExtremeCap U3 allow you to play off the computer without a TV and without a delay? What about other devices? I've been reading the questions section of the Elgato, and they keep saying you'll get some lag even if your PC is powerful. I used to have the same problem with the Diamond device, but using Media Player Classic allowed me to play without any sort of lag.

The ExtremCap U3 will as long as you have the H/W to run it. I've noticed some dropped frames with 60fps games but I've played others directly from it without issue.
    I know the USB 2 devices have some picture lag. anything from 100ms - 400ms I believe which is poor for gaming unless it's some sort of turn based game.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
    edited December 2014
    Can I just get any upscaler to play old consoles game with the capture devices that aren't capable of handling composite? Which upscaler would you recommend?

RockinX on