As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLP: Half the ponies, twice the excitement! Season 5 in Spring 2015!!!

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    That picture of Braeburn on his card, yikes.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Today's card spoilers (I'm sorry, Riokenn)!
    KS8zYg7.png
    OKgRl3p.jpg
    tNtV1Xf.jpg
    aNNQx2e.jpg
    Ponyville-Mailbox.jpg
    Backup-Racer-Substitute-Flier.jpg
    hiwdUOJ.jpg

These crystal ponies are going to make the game nuts. Not to mention complicated. This is shaping up to be an interesting set.

Also, Cadance looks like she's going to be a considerable impediment to Control players. Of course, she's a color that people don't much play, and she's pretty costly... But, oh wait, she's an Alicorn, so you can get her for free with the right cards.

It's fine....

None of those cards were Fluttershy
    Nocren wrote: »
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Nooooo damnit. Stop making me want to get cards. D:
    You know Riokenn, I'm on the east coast now...

Near NY or CT?

Kinda? I mean it's NC, but it's not like it's as far away as CA was.

Granted from the map I'm guessing I-95 is just as much of a pain as I-5 is if not more...

But it's essentially the same as going to see my family when I lived there (about a 10-12 hour drive).

Yeah that is a bit of a ways for me. :( Oh well.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Man, the season five teaser really drives home how much of the ongoing story has been pushed by Hasbro meddling.

"Don't forget to check out all the sweet new Princess Twilight merch, or the Fleshreaper will getcha!"

It's the way BOOMING DRAMATIC MOVIE VOICEOVER GUY slides straight into hawking a toy plastic castle without changing tone in any way that kills me.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Well, that's a thing.
    qpxCnrw.jpgSPiz4z9.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Also another thing. A rather scary thing, CCG wise.

Edit: More CCG Spoilers, including the "Fastball Special" UR Mane, some words from the devs, and thoughts of my own.
    SI2jfUq.jpgZq2aBAV.jpg
    9mNFkEd.pngjQbVrkq.png

Fastball Special looks really nice for Aggro players. It's like a toned down Winged Wonder on demand.

The Devs are currently having a TweetChat at the moment. One of the questions was "One of the most pressing questions... has been: Why Biff? Why make a TM that only hurts unpopular manes?" The answer was:
    I'm not even sure I know what that means. All MCs are affected the same by Biff. They're all better on the Boosted. (Source)

All of the MC, popular or unpopular, work the same [way], they're better on one side than the other. It effects all. (Source)

I don't want to sound like a whiny brat, but if that's a genuine answer then I really have to wonder if they've playtested this game at all. Flipping Derpy, Spike or the CMC (or any of a slew of older Manes) to the start side is tremendously more painful than flipping DJ, Maud, or say the Fastball Special up there. There are clearly some manes that are easier to flip than others, and the harder to flip manes are going to be punished disproportionately by Biff. Heck, if you're playing the Celestial Solstice Twilight Mane, and you get hit with Biff after playing out your off color friend, chances are slim that you can get Twilight boosted again period.

Edit 2: New CCG Merch, Including a Luna Playmat. Keep the Fleshreaper at bay even more.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Those two commons PM posted seem kinda broken..

I mean, stacking power boosts and a way to partially lock down an opponent?

Edit: and yeah, with that comment and the way power creep is turning more into a power run, I don't think they play test as much as say most other ccgs.

I hope the next set after Crystal Games they take a step back and try and figure out some balance and create a new base set based off cards from the 4 sets they'll have (premier, CN, CG, Celestial Solstice?).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Well, the next set after Crystal Games is Absolute Discord... so maybe?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I hope so. Otherwise I might just bow out since there's no reason to keep that competitive edge when there's no one to be competitive against.

If they make a second series I can see about trying to drum up some more local interest here.

newSig.jpg
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    More CCG spoilers, including the set's UR Villain, as well as a familiar pair of ponies.
    8lkKASc.pngoklMoZD.jpg
    F8d21NF.jpgYU1XMHS.jpg
    OIZ6cCM.pngUO05s1c.jpg
    alRkP3L.jpgdXmp9Uj.jpg
    zroigLk.jpg

Just a few notes to anyone going to a pre-release this weekend: If you can, be sure to bring Manes from Canterlot Nights and/or Premiere, because you'll be allowed to run the uncommons (I believe the fixed Manes are off limits, so no DJ or Maud or Celestial Solstice Manes). Also, the 1/1 starting problems are a good thing to bring, because you may not necessarily pull a starting problem.

Limited rules seem to be as such: From your sealed pool you'll pull 30 cards for your draw deck and 5 cards for your problem deck. No limit on the number of copies of any card. From my experiences with limited in the game, entry friends are really valuable.

Edit: Holy crap, another spoiler: The closest thing we've seen to a board wiper yet. Plus another one that's mass dismissal.
    iUZLRRq.pngjDXkGcG.jpg

TetraNitroCubane on
    edited November 2014
    Andy Price is currently in Australia.

K1SA9CX.jpg
    jrCtKsS.jpg

TetraNitroCubane on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    The CMC Showstoppers are joke cards.
    Scootaloo forces you to dance
    Sweetie Belle forces you to sing
    Applebloom forces you to tell a joke

all for pretty useless effects. this is is so disappointing for me that I can feel the neckbeard growing along with my urge to post whiny complaints

jCyyTSo.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    tumblr_nffpi9T5a31sw0mfgo1_1280.png

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited November 2014
    I wonder about Party Bomb...
    It only says power equal to number of counters, not "equal to or less than".

So it looks like it can only get rid of all 3s or all 2s, but not all 3s, 2s, and 1s.

Edit: also, need clairification on Traits. Is that just keywords, or does it also include color/power as well?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2014
    So the OCR for all cards was posted, so every card was spoiled. Sorry for spamming up the thread these last few days. I'll cease to flood the thread with CCG spoiler images at this point, with the exception of this last one. It's the Secret Ultra Rare:
    Jr1qSQq.jpg

This weekend is the pre-release, and I'll be heading out to play this afternoon. I'll also be trying again tomorrow (since I usually lose, and hey, more cards). On the off chance that anyone reading the thread is located in the San Francisco South Bay, if you participate tomorrow in the pre-release at a store called Gator Games, I'm offering up a free plush to the first person to win a match against me. They're not the fanciest plushies, but you can take one home! I'm just hoping that people show up and have fun. The pre-release happens at 2:30 PM on Sunday at Gator.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    So this weekend I went to two pre-releases for the Crystal Games, and basically got curb stomped. Didn't win a single game, only opened one UR I couldn't run because I didn't have the entry for it (Destiny Drain). Regardless, it was pretty fun to see the new cards in action. I'm not convinced that the MLP CCG can really support a limited format like MtG can, but I'm excited to see how the new set works in constructed decks.

Crystal ponies are bonkers, though. Even in limited, I had the Prismatic AppleJack up to 9 power on a single turn.

Anyone else give a pre-release a go this weekend?

edited November 2014
    Double postin' for the sake of another season four recap/season five tease/BUY OUR TOYS video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrE3Y8xnAU

Looks like we'll see one of these for each of the six.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Theory time! Each vid for each character, so six vids. Last vid was a week ago. So four vids left for four weeks leading into the new season.

NEW SEASON STARTS IN THE LAST WEEK OF DECEMBER!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Theory time! Each vid for each character, so six vids. Last vid was a week ago. So four vids left for four weeks leading into the new season.

NEW SEASON STARTS IN THE LAST WEEK OF DECEMBER!

December? December is 12. But there are six mane six, so 12 / 6 = 2. Don't forget Spike! 2 + 1 = 3

Half life 3 confirmed

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    tumblr_nfjto6EIbM1s0sz7go2_1280.png

Guess someone took advantage of the expansion's free level-boost.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    The most recent Humble Comics Bundle is Pony Comics!

$15 or more and you can get most of the comics.

edited November 2014
    The most recent Humble Comics Bundle is Pony Comics!

$15 or more and you can get most of the comics.
    Oh came here to post about this. EVERYONE THAT IS A PONY FAN SHOULD BUY THIS. $15 for soooooo many pony comics. More than half are good or great. Other half are readable. You cannot go wrong for $15. It's insane. Buy it. buy it now.

Also. pony card games, there's a card that works with the CMC that makes me less depressed, I might be able to make a casual, crappy deck with it now.
    So this weekend I went to two pre-releases for the Crystal Games, and basically got curb stomped. Didn't win a single game, only opened one UR I couldn't run because I didn't have the entry for it (Destiny Drain). Regardless, it was pretty fun to see the new cards in action. I'm not convinced that the MLP CCG can really support a limited format like MtG can, but I'm excited to see how the new set works in constructed decks.

Crystal ponies are bonkers, though. Even in limited, I had the Prismatic AppleJack up to 9 power on a single turn.

Anyone else give a pre-release a go this weekend?
    OUr shipment came in late, so it's this Sunday. If someone offers you Rarity Truly Outrageous for Destiny Drain, do it. RTO will be expensive forever, Destiny Drain will not.

Also here's the new Combo deck base card:
    cg139.jpg

Find ways to force the opponent to draw many cards. NMM and many pink cards do it, along with howling cave/pie family rock farm

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited November 2014
    And if you act now, you can have those pony comics for the low, low price of FREE! I have a code to give away, because these comics are awesome and I want other people to read them and smile. First person in this thread who wants the code will get it!

EDIT:
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    OUr shipment came in late, so it's this Sunday. If someone offers you Rarity Truly Outrageous for Destiny Drain, do it. RTO will be expensive forever, Destiny Drain will not.

Golly, but don't I wish. No one really seems to think Destiny Drain is playable, being very slow and situational. Beyond that, no one is willing to part with an RTO for love or money (I've checked!) anymore. We'll see what happens as the set is actually released, I guess.

Best of luck this Sunday, PikaPuff! Also, that combo is... well, dang, I can see that actually working. Which is bonkers, because that card was printed to stop combo!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    d4479b8e5737c7fcdef49865a72975aa931754854.png
    My dearest, most faithful student Twilight,

Luna did WHAT?!

Sincerely,
    Princess Celestia

friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com

Yeesh, apparently I was half a year behind. Caught up now. Good stuff as usual~

jCyyTSo.png
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I'm a couple hundred behind still, but I'll be caught up in a few months.

unusual_gem_by_lexx2dot0-d87mlf1.jpg
    Source.

So, since I'll be getting a new bed, I stopped at Big Lots to get some sheets.

And decided to take a chance on Pony packs. (The 3-piece packages)

Managed to get Thunderlane/Rainbow Flutters/Derpy and Lyra/Octavia (w/ cello)/Lyrica.

newSig.jpg
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    So, since I'll be getting a new bed, I stopped at Big Lots to get some sheets.

And decided to take a chance on Pony packs. (The 3-piece packages)

Managed to get Thunderlane/Rainbow Flutters/Derpy and Lyra/Octavia (w/ cello)/Lyrica.

Yeah, I've got both of those. I also got the Cheerilee/Twist/Silver Spoon pack, which comes with a free Smarty Pants.

steam_sig.png
    0525zPv.jpg

x1agTwb.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    With fluttershy not in the second picture I wonder what happened to that turkey

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Season 5 spoiler that I'm super hype about:

Stabbity_Style.png
    hm not reading that. should I abandon thread for a few months?

jCyyTSo.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I mean...it's in a spoiler tag...

YL9WnCY.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I freaking love Pony YTPMVs. RabiesBun has to be my favorite, though there are a lot of people who do them really well.

I'm partial to the one Rabies did for the last Anthology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsYEqu6_O7I

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    hm not reading that. should I abandon thread for a few months?

No, it's just a really minor spoiler about a certain character getting a song.

This discussion has been closed.