As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Friday and Beyond: Requiem for your Wallet

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Guys stop me from buying a 4K 55" Samsung TV. It's four hundred dollars off and I want one but I don't need it! Augh!!

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Worked 2 to 10:30am today. Was fine. No money for black Friday deals. Very sad. In bed now

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Guys stop me from buying a 4K 55" Samsung TV. It's four hundred dollars off and I want one but I don't need it! Augh!!

4K is such a huge meh right now. There isn't shit for content and it doesn't do a damn thing for 1080p content. We are years away from 4K being anything worth owning.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    My wife saw her first Black Friday fist fight!

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Went to Best Buy. Didn't see anything I wanted on sale so I left. I ended up with a savings of 100%!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    So I need a new coat for this winter, something heavy but still under $100
    and today is probably the best day to buy one
    Do you guys know any good online deals for winter gear?
    My brother linked me to theclymb, but their selection is kind of limited.
    It's cold outside

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It's cold outside

The best warmth for buck for style coats are pea coats.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pea+coat

Amazon has a bunch but you can get them from all over for easily under a hundred. Most deparment stores and Costco sells them if you want to try them on.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    4K is one of those things where sure, it's technically possible, but 1080p is still the best standard and best top HD format for web streaming so why buy a gimmick TV may as well go back in time and get a laserdisc player.

Weaver on
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    It's cold outside

The best warmth for buck for style coats are pea coats.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pea+coat

Amazon has a bunch but you can get them from all over for easily under a hundred. Most deparment stores and Costco sells them if you want to try them on.

thanks! time to open a bunch of tabs.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Went to a few stores today, Best Buy being the primary focus: managed to get one out of two visible copies of Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse Edition. This store was nice enough to have a register set up right next to the videogame aisle, the guys there would talk about the various game deals going around. Real professional, real courteous.

The store itself was packed but it was all orderly. Lots of cops standing guard though. The funniest thing I saw was a guy packing his SUV with what must have been a dozen XBox Ones. People in the game aisle also had stacks of XB1 games while waiting in line, so the price drop must have really paid off for MS.

Also nabbed the Lego Movie on BLU for $4. I was tempted in Transformers 4 but I really want the 3D version. If you're going to commit to a movie like that, you might as well get the best possible looking version.

As for Hyrule Warriors, I went to Sears and it was unsurprisingly barren with videogames. I tried to get them to price match in Target, no dice. Ditto Best Buy.

Hyrule Warriors notwithstanding I got what I wanted, so I'm satisfied. Still hoping maybe Amazon will sell it at that price.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    why does radio shack even need to be open until midnight on thanksgiving? What the fuck do they sell that people would be trying to buy? Like, do they anticipate a pile of customers wanting new cell phone plans?

anyway I think I'm gonna buy a chromebook, but I can't decide if I want to get the one everybody seems to have discounted to $150 or spring for one of the more expensive varieties

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I went through a few malls and shops today, primarily generic chains like Target and K-Mart. Didn't find anything I wanted so it was mostly looking over how crazy things were

things were not too crazy. Worst was the packed halls outside the shops where families will just stop in the middle, block everybody from advancing for several seconds before they realize what they are doing and very slowly saunter out of the way

which happens every 10 feet

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    why does radio shack even need to be open until midnight on thanksgiving? What the fuck do they sell that people would be trying to buy? Like, do they anticipate a pile of customers wanting new cell phone plans?

Well, someone's gotta fill the niche to sell people new Walkmans or AM/FM Radios or VHS Tape Rewinders.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    27 in. Asus IPS monitor

209 - 60 for signing up for Amazon card - 150 dollars in rewards points + shipping + tax = ~22 out of pocket

I feel bad about it

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I am now taking black friday tv donations after realizing my 32" LG is too small to play Dragon Age on from more than a few feet away due to my eyesight worsening.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I am now taking black friday tv donations after realizing my 32" LG is too small to play Dragon Age on from more than a few feet away due to my eyesight worsening.

This is why I want a new TV but mostly just because the fonts in Dragon Age suuuuck.
    Not the eyesight thing. Just dragon age.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    As a retail worker, here's some things people could do to help keep sanity;

1. There is no need to touch strangers. no arm grabs, no ass pinching, no gently rubbing the fingers of your hand to encircle the employee's neck in an incredibly intimate manner. All of which happened to me.

2. It may not be the employee's fault if they have no idea what's going on. They may not have been given a single bit of information. Like me.

3. Computers are not infallible. They simply tell what they are told to tell. "Have some available" means that item could literally be spread among twelve random carts in the store.

4. do not yell at employees because we ran out of iPads hours ago Jesus Christ seriously

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    forget the TV

get glasses

I'm hitting diminishing returns on glasses.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options

1. There is no need to touch strangers. no arm grabs, no ass pinching, no gently rubbing the fingers of your hand to encircle the employee's neck in an incredibly intimate manner. All of which happened to me.

What about a handshake?

Sometimes I like to give props when someone's been real helpful/friendly.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I considered last night to be "Black Friday," because that's when all the crazy deals happened and everyone opened early

And then I stupidly went to Best Buy today to pick up an online order, not thinking about the fact that it was still totally technically Friday

A madhouse!

Then I stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up a couple groceries

A madhouse!

You know, I never understood the bad rep that Black Friday gets until now. Don't go later in the day! Go wait in line for them to open. You'll be waiting in the cold and it'll still be slightly hectic, but it's nowhere NEAR as bad as it apparently gets hours into the day

Which doesn't make sense, you'd think the time closest to opening would be the craziest time

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular

What about a handshake?

At that point the person is not as much a stranger, tbh. If you're meeting in a professional environment, it's preferable to meet that way, and to introduce oneself. Hell yeah I'll take a handshake if offered.

It's the "I'm helping someone with a video game and SUDDENLY UNSEEN MOLESTATION" that is the issue

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

What about a handshake?

As a customer service person myself, I am not keen on the idea of any physical contact with strangers.

It's hard enough not being sick constantly when you deal with loads of the public day in day out, let alone actually touching them.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really never understood the silly geese that would attempt to get groceries in the chaos of black Friday.
    I know I got some this morning but still that was long after the events

I look like someone you should not even attempt to touch and yet people try to

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Alright Black Friday is done, for this year's annual headphone purchase I picked up these:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

And tonight I went out and got the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack on cassette.

If anybody doesn't know Amazon has a deal for 30% off (up to 10 bucks) ANY book on their site. I was real tempted but I'm trying to avoid buying myself stuff so I don't mess up any plans Satan may have.

http://smile.amazon.com/b/ref=nav_sap_30OFFReg?_encoding=UTF8&node=45

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really never understood the silly geese that would attempt to get groceries in the chaos of black Friday.
    I know I got some this morning but still that was long after the events

I had barely any food in the house on Thursday and couldn't get any because stores were closed for Thanksgiving, I was super-hungry all day

So I kinda had to go this morning, even if the crowd was nuts

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I picked up Diablo 3 for the Xbone today. I'm excited to play when Dragon Age finally releases me in three months.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    I picked up Diablo 3 for the Xbone today. I'm excited to play when Dragon Age finally releases me in three months.
    Hit me up when that happens, I'll probably start around then too! :p

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jerks! I'm playing it now!

• Options
    I need lots of multiplayer buds for my XB1 games now: Titanfall, Halo MCC (once they get that working), Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct.

Please send me all the invites.

• Options
    You send me an invite!

RAIJINQ

• Options
    Alright, done.

In case anyone has sigs turned off: Dr Shizuma

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    @Bucketman‌ how much trouble would you get in if you just happened to accidentally hide a GoPro 3+ for me to pick up late tonight?

None we have like 15 left still.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My biggest question last night? A lot of non fluent english speakers asking me "So whats black friday?"

I would just jester around and say "This" Honestly it wasn't so bad...except we wern't very busy and the management blamed us for it.
    So if you want deals just come to my Best Buy, we still have like a lot of shit.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

What about a handshake?

As a customer service person myself, I am not keen on the idea of any physical contact with strangers.

It's hard enough not being sick constantly when you deal with loads of the public day in day out, let alone actually touching them.

I just straight-up don't like being touched by strangers

I ain't even got a justification for it, I just don't like it

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My biggest question last night? A lot of non fluent english speakers asking me "So whats black friday?"

I would just jester around and say "This" Honestly it wasn't so bad...except we wern't very busy and the management blamed us for it.
    So if you want deals just come to my Best Buy, we still have like a lot of shit.

I had to try and explain it to an Indian guy at work yesterday. I think he thought it was some kind of holiday. I barely understand it myself so I'm not sure he was very illuminated.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I don't even like being touched by people I know for the most part. But then, I'm autistic, so...

Anyhow, went out Thanksgiving night to the Walmart sale. Nabbed inFamous: Second Son, AssCreed Rogue, and Borderlands PreSequel for $75 altogether. Not bad.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I worked until noon yesterday, so all I could do was scavenge the leftovers. So basically I missed the PS4 Diablo 3 sale that I wanted to hit up.

I did get Edge of Tomorrow, Collateral and Gravity on blu-ray for $12 and I had a $10 gift card, so fairly good haul for $2.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

I had to try and explain it to an Indian guy at work yesterday. I think he thought it was some kind of holiday. I barely understand it myself so I'm not sure he was very illuminated.

Black Friday was caused by a few dudes trying to corner the market in gold and fucking everything up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(1869)

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    Yeah I'm working 4:30 in the afternoon to 12 midnight on fucking Thanksgiving. Black Friday has always sucked but it does at least tend to go by quickly, and doesn't interfere with a holiday. Now it does. This and Christmas are the only two holidays I really care about, family wise, since the side of them we go visit are pretty cool. No more of that!

Fuck Black Friday. Don't go to Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart. I work for Best Buy. Fuck em. Some places are deliberately staying closed on Thanksgiving, like Costco apparently. Take your business there.

As a best Buy employee I found it hilirious that the Radio Shack across the street is opening at 8 AM on thanksgiving.

No one shops at Radio Shack

Which is a shame. They have such great deals on Walkmans, radios with both AM and FM capability, and televisions with high-quality mechanical dials.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/26/7281129/radioshack-eulogy-stories