As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Friday and Beyond: Requiem for your Wallet

123457»

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    As a retail worker, here's some things people could do to help keep sanity;

1. There is no need to touch strangers. no arm grabs, no ass pinching, no gently rubbing the fingers of your hand to encircle the employee's neck in an incredibly intimate manner. All of which happened to me.

What about a handshake?

Sometimes I like to give props when someone's been real helpful/friendly.

As a customer service person myself, I am not keen on the idea of any physical contact with strangers.

It's hard enough not being sick constantly when you deal with loads of the public day in day out, let alone actually touching them.

I just straight-up don't like being touched by strangers

I ain't even got a justification for it, I just don't like it

Nah, man. Your justification is that they're strangers touching you and that's messed up. Fuck that noise.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    As a retail worker, here's some things people could do to help keep sanity;

1. There is no need to touch strangers. no arm grabs, no ass pinching, no gently rubbing the fingers of your hand to encircle the employee's neck in an incredibly intimate manner. All of which happened to me.

What about a handshake?

Sometimes I like to give props when someone's been real helpful/friendly.

As a customer service person myself, I am not keen on the idea of any physical contact with strangers.

It's hard enough not being sick constantly when you deal with loads of the public day in day out, let alone actually touching them.

I just straight-up don't like being touched by strangers

I ain't even got a justification for it, I just don't like it

I mean the justification is that they're strangers

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I never got my hand shaken in retail. Nor a fistbump or a backpat.

I have traded running faceslaps with co-workers as part of a "no customers so bored" game, but that is silly and pointless and the less said the better.

I did get a tip once while I was working at Walgreens. That was weird but awesome.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Touch me all you want. My body is an open canvas for touching.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

@Keith‌

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    An old dude in a bar (or maybe a laundromat? I can't remember which, but I was definitely very drunk) came up to me one time and started rubbing my back while mumbling about how I reminded him of a girl he used to know

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    That might be the most Pooro post of all time, for the record

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Jesus, I don't think I'd handle that very well at all

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I hate when people use my first name after having read it from my ID badge.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    An old dude in a bar (or maybe a laundromat? I can't remember which, but I was definitely very drunk) came up to me one time and started rubbing my back while mumbling about how I reminded him of a girl he used to know

it is worth noting this is exactly how I greet Pooro whenever I see him

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    one time I came up to a drunk young man at a bar and started rubbing his back while mumbling about how he reminded me of a girl I used to know

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I once had an old man walk past my and pull my ponytail going "blondie!"

I was maybe 18 and did not know how to react.

These days having had harassment at work my reaction would involve a lot of yelling and use of the word fuck.

edit: haha what a typo

Liiya on
  • Options
    My housemate decided to go for a surprise piggyback as we were walking into a bar once. I freaked out and flipped him over my shoulders onto the floor before I knew who it was

That of course led to us both being touched by complete strangers as the bouncers dragged us both out onto the street

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    I once had an old man walk past my and pull my ponytail going "blondie!"

I was maybe 18 and did not know how to react.

These days having had harassment at work my reaction would involve a lot of yelling and use of the word fuck.

edit: haha what a typo

Why would anyone think it's ok to do that to someone, fuck

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    People are weird!!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

@Keith‌

he doesn't mean me

he never means me

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thursday night was not very busy. The problem is my store was all set up for these great big lines that never happened so people couldn't shop in the store very easily. Friday was just long, like exhausting but was busier. Tonight I work at 4 and am not looking forward to it.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Man they sure want to make the protesters look like jerks in this

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Larlar wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Yeah I'm working 4:30 in the afternoon to 12 midnight on fucking Thanksgiving. Black Friday has always sucked but it does at least tend to go by quickly, and doesn't interfere with a holiday. Now it does. This and Christmas are the only two holidays I really care about, family wise, since the side of them we go visit are pretty cool. No more of that!

Fuck Black Friday. Don't go to Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart. I work for Best Buy. Fuck em. Some places are deliberately staying closed on Thanksgiving, like Costco apparently. Take your business there.

As a best Buy employee I found it hilirious that the Radio Shack across the street is opening at 8 AM on thanksgiving.

No one shops at Radio Shack

Which is a shame. They have such great deals on Walkmans, radios with both AM and FM capability, and televisions with high-quality mechanical dials.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/26/7281129/radioshack-eulogy-stories

Man, and I thought working for Wal-mart sucked (it does fyi)

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I had a super relaxing black friday at work VoV

it's one of our slowest weekends of the year

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah I'm working 4:30 in the afternoon to 12 midnight on fucking Thanksgiving. Black Friday has always sucked but it does at least tend to go by quickly, and doesn't interfere with a holiday. Now it does. This and Christmas are the only two holidays I really care about, family wise, since the side of them we go visit are pretty cool. No more of that!

Fuck Black Friday. Don't go to Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart. I work for Best Buy. Fuck em. Some places are deliberately staying closed on Thanksgiving, like Costco apparently. Take your business there.

As a best Buy employee I found it hilirious that the Radio Shack across the street is opening at 8 AM on thanksgiving.

Which is a shame. They have such great deals on Walkmans, radios with both AM and FM capability, and televisions with high-quality mechanical dials.

I wish that page went on forever.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I am shockingly enjoying the heck out of Titanfall.

It might be my favorite Black Friday purchase.

Wish I had more XB1 friends to play it with.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I wish that page went on forever.

I worked at a Radio Shack in Plano for about 4 months and that link just brought back so many traumatic memories and unbelievable bullshit that I think I was blocking out. It's not exaggerating at all, and the management staff is belligerently and unashamedly incompetent.

Those meetings on the only day you get off were, at best, useless, and at worst, stressful beyond belief.

I went into a Radio Shack the other day, because my friend needed a new watch battery and I remembered that when I used to work there we would replace them for just the cost of the battery; it was a good way to break the ice and maybe get a bigger sale. We kept all the tools to do it handy. When we went in there and I asked them to open up her watch, the guy sighed while the bored lady next to him played solitaire or what the fuck ever and said they don't do that. He said there's a jewelry repair store in the mall that sells batteries and charges $5 to replace them, and that it would end up being cheaper than what we would spend there on just the battery.

I am honestly surprised as hell that company is still around today.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Cyber Monday sales have sucked.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I wasn't particularly wowed by any sales this ear, but perhaps what I was looking for simply wasn't on sale

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Memory definitely feels more expensive this year than last, last year I believe it was around $5 per Gig and now it's hovering around $7

VRXwDW7.png