As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Telltale] Tales from the Borderlands - Ep.3 "Catch a Ride" out now!

vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
edited June 2015 in Games and Technology
500px-Telltale_Games_logo.svg.png

Current Seasons:

game-talesfromtheborderlands_574_321.jpg
game-gameofthrones_574_321.jpg

Finished Games/Seasons:

logo-wd.png
logo-twau.png

Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Poker Night 1/2, Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, Strong Bad (and others)

Telltale Games are an award-winning adventure game developer famous for The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. Making unique games about choice and narrative in popular established worlds, they have cemented themselves as some of the best storytellers in video games. In this thread there will be spoilers. Here discussions of your choices about any current game or past game can be discussed and argued.

Their new games are:
Game of Thrones is an upcoming episodic graphic adventure based on the A Song of Ice and Fire books and television series, with a planned release starting in late 2014 for Microsoft Windows, OS X, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. The game is being developed by Telltale Games in partnership with Ty Corey Franck, the personal assistant of the books' author George R. R. Martin, who works as the "story consultant". The game will follow a similar episodic format to other Telltale titles, such as The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and Tales from the Borderlands, where player choices and actions have significant effects on later story elements across the six-episode arc.

While the game will include settings and characters (including voice work provided by the actors that portray these characters on the television show), Telltale's game will introduce a yet-seen House Forrester that controls the Ironwood forest in the north of Westeros, from which five members will be playable characters within the game.
Tales from the Borderlands is an episodic graphic adventure video game based on the Borderlands series, released in 2014 for Microsoft Windows, OS X, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PlayStation Vita, with planned ports to mobile platforms. The game was developed by Telltale Games in partnership with Gearbox Software and 2K Games, the developer and publisher of the Borderlands series respectively. The game follows the episodic format that Telltale used for its titles The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, where player choices and actions have significant effects on later story elements. In addition, the game includes some of the gunplay the Borderlands series is known for.

The game's story takes place after the end of Borderlands 2 and its downloadable content expansions. The player controls two protagonists, the con artist Fiona and the Hyperion employee Rhys, who meet up in the latter part of the game. The story explores how the characters came together, showing common events from the perspective of both characters in a manner called the "Big Fish version of what happened" by Telltale's Kevin Bruner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Od_savz7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZeJfIvy3Ck

Episodes:

Tales from the Borderlands
  • Episode 1 - "Zer0 Sum" - Released November 25th, 2014
  • Episode 2 - "Atlas Mugged" - Released March 17th, 2015
  • Episode 3 - "Catch a Ride" - Released June 23rd, 2015
  • Episode 4 - "Escape Plan Bravo" - Coming Soon
  • Episode 5 - "The Vault of the Traveler" - Coming Soon

Game of Thrones
  • Episode 1 - "Iron from Ice" - Released December 2nd, 2014
  • Episode 2 - "The Lost Lords" - Released February 3rd, 2015
  • Episode 3 - "The Sword in the Darkness" - Released March 24th, 2015
  • Episode 4 - "Sons of Winter" - Released May 26th, 2015
  • Episode 5 - "A Nest of Vipers" - Coming Soon
  • Episode 6 - "The Ice Dragon" - Coming Soon

Sob24Nm.png
Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
vegeta_666 on

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Future Telltale Projects:

game-minecraftstorymode_574_321.jpg

walking_dead_e315-1-600x300.jpg

Marvel_TTG_650px.jpg

The Walking Dead: Season Three

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The first episode of Tales from the Borderlands is fantastic. The writing is hilarious, the visuals perfectly match the games, and it's fun seeing the world from the eyes of "regular" folks.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    That's good to hear. TWD S1 was rad as fuck, TWAU was great, TWD S2 was... well it wasn't BAD. Will have to shell out for both TftB and GoT during the winter sale.

Yeah, I can definitely recommend Tales from the Borderlands to anyone interested. It's nice having a Telltale game that isn't so grim.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, definitely picking up the second season for that.

Also, extremely excited for the Game of Thrones TellTale.
    I do have one nitpick though: the family name is
    Forrester. It sounds kind of weak compared to Stark, Martell, or Lannister. It sounds like there should be a guy named Joel in my dungeons being forced to watch awful plays or read shitty tomes

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I really have to finish the last episode of TWAU.

But sadly let my brother use my 360 when I got a One and he's constantly on the thing.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So I just played through this and I have to say it was really good. Liked the characters and it was action-packed for a game where your basic controls are pretty simple.

I also really enjoyed playing two characters at the same time. I'm guessing that's going to have big implications for the final episode.

Dragkonias on
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    This is my favorite TT game right behind TWD season 1.
    The action sequences are so much better in TftB than the previous games TT have made, and the characters are a lot of fun.

really looking forward to the later episodes
    also....
    I skipped the credits, was not expecting "Telltale Games will remember that"

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Just played the first Tales from the borderlands episode and it was alot of fun

Choices:
    As Rhys:
    Machine gun and rocket launcher for Loader bot, basic but effective.
    Evacuated Loader Bot, how could I not Loader bot is awesome
    Let Sasha play with the stun stick
    Didn't sell out Vaugnh

As Fiona
    Let August touch the key
    Let Shade stick around
    Shot Felix, Who said I trusted you?
    Took the Steve mask

Voice talent was excellent. Troy Baker as Rhys seemed to have a bit of an Archer style tone which was nice to hear from him.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh neat, a Telltale thread for all Telltale. Cool.

Also GoT is six episodes, not five. :hydra: Super excited for that season to start though. First episode was reported yesterday to launch on December 2nd!

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    i've been meaning to get into Game of Thrones, but for one reason or another I've been putting it off.
    It doesn't help that when I look at Xfinity I see like 40 one-hour episodes and I'm like... that's a work week...

Maybe Telltale can kick it off for me.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I guess it depends on how you feel about spoilers, because the game is going to spoil some big story moments just based on when it takes place.

Invisible on
    edited November 2014
    Oh neat, a Telltale thread for all Telltale. Cool.

Also GoT is six episodes, not five. :hydra: Super excited for that season to start though. First episode was reported yesterday to launch on December 2nd!

I thought this was a better idea than having everything spun off into their own threads that sort of only update when episodes come out and die after the season is done. With two different games going on the same time too alternating it made sense to just combine them and cover past and future Telltale stuff too.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Been meaning to ask, how was Jurassic Park?

Since all their other games were episodic, they seemed to learn their lessons from one part to the next (Sam and Max had a lot of one-shot ideas, but that's probably also down to the source material) but JP was basically compiled and released as a single offering.

Also I need to start Monkey Island and get back to Back to the Future.

newSig.jpg
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I was planning on making a GoT thread when it came out. Not just going to have one thread for every single Telltale game, are we? I don't want to hunt through a bunch of talk about games I'm not playing to talk about just one.

Are you the magic man?
    Not like anyone is stopping you from making said thread.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I... didn't say they were? I just didn't know if the mods had a problem with "duplicate" threads.

No need for the sassy attitude, lil' missy.

Are you the magic man?
    edited November 2014
    Not sure I would call that "sassy".

What with each other Telltale game having its own thread was just pointing out the obvious.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2014
    Frei wrote: »
    I was planning on making a GoT thread when it came out. Not just going to have one thread for every single Telltale game, are we? I don't want to hunt through a bunch of talk about games I'm not playing to talk about just one.

With the Walking Dead thread mostly dead and the Wolf Among Us thread that I made dead, I thought with two new Telltale games it was best to just combine the threads and cover all of them. Both GoT and Tales won't get a ton of discussion and the amount of people who are playing both and posting about them is probably high. There won't be a lot of hunting I think. That said, if this thread does get too crowded then we can break it up again.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I've not really had any interest in Borderlands (not my kind of game) but I'm a big Telltale fan, do you need to have played the other games to get along with it?

I've still got TWAU to play through yet so I'm not hurting for fun Telltale Adventure, I've Jurassic Park to play at some point but I hear that wasn't wonderful.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I've not really had any interest in Borderlands (not my kind of game) but I'm a big Telltale fan, do you need to have played the other games to get along with it?

I'd say you wouldn't have to much difficulty, while chronologically it's set after Borderlands 2 I don't feel there is anything to confusing, the only real difficulty is you wouldn't be familiar with the returning characters, but neither are the characters your playing as so I can't see it as to big of a problem.

Probably the most important things to know are:

*Vaults: Basically the McGuffin chamber all the Vault Hunters are searching for, containing Alien technology / Dooms day weapons / Things you don't want to think about ect depending on the vault.
    *Vault Key: A Key... For a vault.
    *Handsome Jack: The self proclaimed hero of the series and Boss of Hyperion, the corporation that is trying to seize control of Pandora. Died at the end of Borderlands 2. If you want an idea of Jack's personality enjoy the following quote:

"You see, this is what I don't get about you bad guys: You know the hero's gonna win, but you don't just die quickly. Example: This one guy in New Haven, right? City's burning, people are dying left and right, yadda, yadda, yadda... This jackhole rushes me with a spoon, A FRICKIN' SPOON! And I'm dying laughing, right? So I scoop out his stupid little eyeballs with it and his kids are all, 'WAAAAAAH!' And-ahahaha... I can't even... ahahahahah! He can't see where he's going, he's bumping into stuff and... I dunno, maybe you had to be there. The moral is: you're a total bitch."

The opening of the game has a decent overview of the setting. There are things you won't pick up on or recognize, but most of what's entertaining about that episode can be enjoyed without knowing who the heck any of these people are.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Been meaning to ask, how was Jurassic Park?

Since all their other games were episodic, they seemed to learn their lessons from one part to the next (Sam and Max had a lot of one-shot ideas, but that's probably also down to the source material) but JP was basically compiled and released as a single offering.

Also I need to start Monkey Island and get back to Back to the Future.

From episode 1 of JP (all I've played so far) it's... Rough. Not amazing voice acting, unfair gameplay design, story of rather limited appeal. It's possible it blossoms in the later episodes though.

Performance question: TWAU and TWD Season 2 really started hitching badly on 360. Does Tales from the Borderlands run smooth on Xbox One or have they still screwed this up?

I played on the X1 and I would say...like for the most part it ran smooth but there were parts where it lagged.

It only lasted for a few seconds before everything fixed itself but it was there.

Don't think it was as bad as it was with TWAU on my 360 though.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Modern Telltale game tier list. (No Exceptions)

God Tier:
    Walking Dead Season 1

Great Tier:
    The Wolf Among Us

Good Tier:
    Poker Night 1, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, Tales From The Borderlands Ep. 1

Okay Tier:
    Poker Night 2

Bubonic Plague Tier:
    The Black Plague

Unplayed and Unloved tier:
    Jurassic Park
    Back To The Future

Shit Tier:
    Walking Dead Season 2

Ov3rcharge on
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Missing JP and BttF?

Shit, I haven't played those. Those go into the nebulous unknown void tier.

• SilentBobXSilentBobX Registered User regular
    I never really got into Boarderlands, but I really loved what I played in Tales. I'm very intrigued in what happens next. I hope we don't have to wait TOO long for the next episode.

small.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Missing JP and BttF?

Along with Sam and Max.

newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »
    Missing JP and BttF?

Along with Sam and Max.

Sam and Max are unfortunately not modern Telltale games.

SilentBobX wrote: »
    I never really got into Boarderlands, but I really loved what I played in Tales. I'm very intrigued in what happens next. I hope we don't have to wait TOO long for the next episode.

Well, Tales is kind of a look at what would have if you took (moderately) normal people and threw them into the Borderlands setting.

So its crazy but still a bit grounded.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'd say BttF is better than JP, simply because I finished BttF and abandonded JP somewhere in episode 3.

On the other hand, the QTE's in Jurassic Park didn't punish you for pushing the wrong button, you just had to push the right one in time, so every QTE in that game can be done by just constantly mashing all the buttons.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Game of Thrones Episode 1 is out tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Z_OZAh9PI

Sob24Nm.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm excited. I just bought discounted copies of this and Borderlands off of GMG(though they weren't Steam keys unfortunately :( ) But I really can't wait to play this series. I hope it's as good as the books/show.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I would say TWD:S2's biggest failing is in direct relation to S1. Not in story, although it is a bit weaker. But by virtue of the fact that after playing S1, I am now wise to the story tricks that Telltale pulls. They can't really play the "Your choices matter" card anymore. Your choices matter... for all of 10 minutes before we invalidate it to make sure you stay on the railroad. The emotional impacts take a serious hit now that I can see the wizard behind the curtain.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    TWD season 2 wasn't quite as amazing as the first one, but it was still a fantastic TWD story. To call it shit is super mind boggling...

Is there an ETA on Borderlands episode 2? I normally wait until the full 5 episodes are available for Telltale games because I hate waiting, but I couldn't resist Borderlands... Now I gotta wait =/

I know Game of Thrones is today, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait on it. I feel like GoT is going to have some unbearable cliffhangers.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    IIRC it is around 2 months between episodes.

Finally learned my lesson since on the release of episode three and onward they tend to have pretty good deals.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I am also going to wait for all of the GoT game to come out and maybe a deal.

Kadoken on
    At least in the case of Borderlands, those months between episodes aren't full of dread.

Both Borderlands and GoT are installed on my computer. I gotta go pick up my little sister from school, but I'll be playing both in like 30ish minutes.

Hype.