As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOBODY EXPECTS THE FERELDEN [INQUSITION] especially if you never leave the Hinterlands

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Also I just finished Adamant
    Heavy stuff, man

Spoilers for Adamant
    who in the HELL chose to let Hawke stay behind?

Adamant spoilers
    I couldn't leave Hawke behind in favor of Stroud, but I did feel like it was the *correct* decision even though I couldn't make it.

also for my second run, it'll be Hawke versus Alistair. I'm pretty sure Hawke will be left behind in that version.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    ...OK so apparently the dragon on the Storm Coast is not to be screwed with

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Game done! Phew!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    ...OK so apparently the dragon on the Storm Coast is not to be screwed with

Best part is if you have Bull with you when you first see it in action, fighting a giant.

Bull; "OH THAT'S BADASS!"

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I swear I cannot find this mission to locate the Seekers on the war table

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    Spirit damage and non-elemental attacks from mages, and someone who can take down barriers is pretty pivotal for the Vinsomer dragon. He was definitely one of the harder ones I fought.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I just defeated Vinsomer. That was my favorite Dragon battle ao far.

• Options

If you already selected it there (You might have!) then it's actually on the world map

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    The harder the dragon battles are, the more fulfilling I find them. So, yeah, Vinsomer was definitely one of my favorites.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    None of the dragons so far have lived up to the Ferelden Frostback for me.

Going through distinct phases made that fight seem so much more cinematic.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    Oh goodness the Cullen romance is the gushiest marshmallow and I love it.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    All the romances do a lot which is nice

Cassandra's seems very rewarding so far, partly because she's a great character, partly because it's so well written

I am looking forward to;
    Going to the ball in Orlais

I heard you get some good romance stuff during/after that

• Options
    I don't know that I'm wholly satisfied with the Blackwall romance

I haven't capitalized on it a lot, maybe? But I haven't had much chance to act on it yet, either

Also I haven't had the cheevo pop for the romance being locked in, even though I'm going steady with him
    Also the motherfucker is keeping secrets and I need to know what they are

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    took sera to an orlesian party and she made various disparaging comments about nobles including "he's a she"

bioware........

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I mean, it's realistic that not every single character will be understanding and inclusive

May as well be the already established worst character making comments like that

• Options
    Sera is awful eh

who knew

oh wait we all knew

• Options
    I haven't bothered with Sera thus far.

Not because I have zero interest in hearing her banter and shit, but I don't see myself picking her over Varric.

Unless I get the opportunity to crash a party.

Please tell me I get to do that at some point.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    took sera to an orlesian party and she made various disparaging comments about nobles including "he's a she"

bioware........

Not every character needs to or should be politically correct.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

you've done the operation part already? It's not on the war table, you need to travel there through the world map

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

bioware........

Sera being transphobic doesn't surprise me that much

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I have seen some very valid reasons why that line, even for an 'awful' character, was hurtful towards a marginalized group.

But since I had nothing to do with her or any of her writing I don't really feel comfortable saying much beyond that.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I would be quite strange if every single character was enlightened

That said, awesome, I now look forward to every time I bring up liking sera someone telling me shes transphobic, thanks bioware

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    That is totally fair and I haven't seen the scene but I'm sure she doesn't really get chastised our anything for her terrible commentary so it likely sends a poor message regardless.

I just couldn't pass up a good opportunity to talk about how Sera is the worst.

• Options
    I should say that I don't necessarily think that Sera is an awful character

just that she is a rather awful person

mostly just an irritating person really

• Options
    I'm not trying to justify the line; it's out of place, pithy, and too bluntly aimed in such a way that the Herald can't really respond to it (I assume)

And yes, its inclusion is bad

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

bioware........

Sera being transphobic doesn't surprise me that much

I'm actually getting uncomfortable over the amount of agrees this is getting because it sounds like I'm going "The line is fine" and I didn't mean to do that

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'm so tired of random transphobia in media, you guys

I thought Krem was a sign that bioware had learned from their past mistakes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I haven't capitalized on it a lot, maybe? But I haven't had much chance to act on it yet, either

Also I haven't had the cheevo pop for the romance being locked in, even though I'm going steady with him

There are stages to the romances, for instance, (Josephine romance spoilers)
    we'd been a steady thing for a little while but it wasn't until I got into an honor duel with the fiance her parents arranged for her and shouted out BECAUSE I LOVE YOU JOSEPHINE in the middle of the main plaza in Orlais that I got the cheevo

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    As far as things go, that line didn't need to be included to cement her as a terrible person. It's actually more trouble than it may have seemed to be worth, to her writer.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I'm frustrated because I really like sera and think a lot of things she does are within the realm of understandable given her character, goals, and upbringing

But that's not defensible and shouldnt be in there and its gonna get brought up and derail the conversation every time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Krem is a sign that BioWare as a village has learned from their past mistakes

That line by Sera is a sign that they are not perfect and that at least one writer, at the bare minimum, is not aware of how much those kinds of things can hurt people

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    sera is a fictional character I don't care what she "thinks" because she isn't a person

her writer, however, is

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

A company is not a hive mind

• Options
    edited November 2014

There are stages to the romances, for instance, (Josephine romance spoilers)
    we'd been a steady thing for a little while but it wasn't until I got into an honor duel with the fiance her parents arranged for her and shouted out BECAUSE I LOVE YOU JOSEPHINE in the middle of the main plaza in Orlais that I got the cheevo

See I love how fruity the romances are
    even at this early stage, when Cassandra was berating herself about Varric and I made a joke about still liking her, she was all "I'm being serious!" and the response is "you think I'm not?" with some proper weighty emotion behind it.

There's a passion in the subplots (romantic and otherwise) that makes them seem more real and weighty than previous bioware games maybe had.

Solar on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    It's probably not Chincy; there's so much to dislike about Sera if you're disinclined towards her. That's probably how the comment ended up getting included in the first place, because to some it might feel like just a drop in the bucket rather than transphobic.

Seems like a masquerade ball is an especially poor place to have a character out someone, just unfortunate all round.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular

Krem as a character had to go through multiple people - editors, production, localization (ensuring he was properly gendered in other languages was important) level design, character art, writing, cinematics. He was put in front of a large number of people who all really wanted to get him right.

This line had to go past a single writer. I am not defending it or suggesting anyone's wrong to be upset at us by its inclusion, but I'd say Krem is a much better indication of what we value as a company.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

Bioware is a company, it's not a person. It's made up of hundreds of employees, this game in particular I'm sure has triple digits in terms of amount of names in the credits. Different parts of the game were worked on by different people.

That's not to say things like this shouldn't be criticized but talking about "I thought Bioware had 'learned their lesson'" because of some other thing also in this game is a weirdly reductionist way to view things.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    sera is a fictional character I don't care what she "thinks" because she isn't a person

her writer, however, is

This is an overexaggeration. Tambor's kids in Transparent use that line to describe him several times, and while not saints they're fully developed characters. Someone being transphobic doesn't automatically make them a demon, and I'm guessing you go deeper into why Sera can sometimes be insensitive as the game progresses. I haven't even met the character yet however.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    As far as things go, that line didn't need to be included to cement her as a terrible person. It's actually more trouble than it may have seemed to be worth, to her writer.

It almost certainly was not included to paint sera in a negative light

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Bubby wrote: »

her writer, however, is

This is an overexaggeration. Tambor's kids in Transparent use that line to describe him several times, and while not saints they're fully developed characters. Someone being transphobic doesn't automatically make them a demon, and I'm guessing you go deeper into why Sera can sometimes be insensitive as the game progresses. I haven't even met the character yet however.

You're kind of missing the point, there.

It's a question of why anyone approved letting this line into the game, period.

A character can establish themselves as being oafish with social issues without specifically saying legitimately hurtful tings that some people have to cope with on a regular basis.

This discussion has been closed.