As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOBODY EXPECTS THE FERELDEN [INQUSITION] especially if you never leave the Hinterlands

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah, looks like it's all over the place in the three areas I haven't been to at all yet or even bothered unlocking. Figures.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    took sera to an orlesian party and she made various disparaging comments about nobles including "he's a she"

bioware........

I haven't got to that scene yet, and obviously. Sera is factually The Worst, but just cuz someone's dressing cross-gendered does not necessarily mean they're trans? Just as gender is complex, so is gender transgression.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    who said anything about being trans

sera just said "he's a she" in a disparaging tone

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    sera is the worst

i don't blame bioware as a whole

i do blame sera's writer

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    iron bull is the best

sans voir chess is hard as fuck

i have never been able to do it successfully and i'm a huge chess nerd

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    So Adamant last night was quite interesting. Learned a lot. Still stuck at the very end though.
    Nightmare Demon and his merry band of spider bastards can get royally fucked. I'm already down to half potions and have none left to go back for anywhere. Solas can only barrier and revive so much.

488W936.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sera is generally disagreeable in a way that feels intentional. Like refusing to believe anything that actually happens in game if it somehow doesn't match her beliefs. I kinda sorta warmed up to her in the end because she's a bit like a child, doing and saying whatever she wants.

That line shouldn't have been included, though.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    So Adamant last night was quite interesting. Learned a lot. Still stuck at the very end though.
    Nightmare Demon and his merry band of spider bastards can get royally fucked. I'm already down to half potions and have none left to go back for anywhere. Solas can only barrier and revive so much.

there should have been a supplies cache right before that

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    iron bull is the best

sans voir chess is hard as fuck

i have never been able to do it successfully and i'm a huge chess nerd

I can't understand how anyone does it.

I think about how much information I'd have to hold in my brain at one time while also having to modify that information in order to think enough steps ahead for form a decent strategy and suddenly blood is leaking out of my ears.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »

there should have been a supplies cache right before that

Yes, and they gave me 4 rather then 8 healing potions for some reason and zero of any others. And I go through them quickly regardless of how much strategy I throw at him. Got him to 40% or so the two times I fought him before I had to head to bed.

488W936.png
  • Options
    the quest named "well, shit"
    so red lyrium is lyrium infected by the taint

that lines up with how cole was talking about red templars before, and how red lyrium has gained prominence since the awakening of corypheus

but hold on now, the primeval thaig is supposed to be much, much older than the first blight, and has red lyrium out the ass, and it is said to be untouched by darkspawn so it's not like it was infected later

does this mean the taint is actually older than the corruption of the golden city

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

that lines up with how cole was talking about red templars before, and how red lyrium has gained prominence since the awakening of corypheus

but hold on now, the primeval thaig is supposed to be much, much older than the first blight, and has red lyrium out the ass, and it is said to be untouched by darkspawn so it's not like it was infected later

does this mean the taint is actually older than the corruption of the golden city

I'd love this because it just means
    that explanation was just a creation myth

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

I'd love this because it just means
    that explanation was just a creation myth
    not necessarily, I think there's plenty to support the general outline of the chantry's story even if you don't buy the religious significance attached to it

but it means that the magisters aren't the only source of the blight, and that the ancient dwarves possibly had their own corruption that has been long forgotten

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Man I am not at all sure how I'm gonna call things at the end of Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Man, the Imperial Guard of Orlais are terrible at their jobs

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    sera is the worst

i don't blame bioware as a whole

i do blame sera's writer

yeah, this is the thing

the line fits her character- she's not intentionally transphobic, but she's written as a person who is so blinded by her own prejudices towards nobility that she abandons her own ability to be indiscriminate

there's a way to write this type of character in a way that makes them salvagable, where a slur, intentional or otherwise, doesn't feel natural! they didn't get anywhere near there with sera

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Having a character say shitty things to make them seem shitty isn't enough - the story needs to show that what they said was shitty, especially when casual transphobia is so common, and so many people would think that line was funny

If Sera had said that and someone had tore a strip off her for it, or one of the partygoers turned out to be Krem who knocked her out, hid her in a broom closet, and took her place in the party for the rest of the mission (I'm just spitballing here), that would be better because it would at least show that the writer did feel that Sera's statement was unacceptable

That said, there are a lot of ways to paint a character in a negative light that don't involve shitty comments about marginalized groups, choosing one of those instead would have been better still.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm pretty sure it wasj ust meant to be a line like "haha sera's so sassy and catty" which she is and it's usually great and funny but boy that writer dropped the ball there

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again

Sera is terrible

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Oh man
    The judgment post-Wicked Eyes
    I know I SHOULD put the duchess to work for the inquisition but I really WANT to make her the court jester

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Having a character say shitty things to make them seem shitty isn't enough - the story needs to show that what they said was shitty, especially when casual transphobia is so common, and so many people would think that line was funny

If Sera had said that and someone had tore a strip off her for it, or one of the partygoers turned out to be Krem who knocked her out, hid her in a broom closet, and took her place in the party for the rest of the mission (I'm just spitballing here), that would be better because it would at least show that the writer did feel that Sera's statement was unacceptable

That said, there are a lot of ways to paint a character in a negative light that don't involve shitty comments about marginalized groups, choosing one of those instead would have been better still.

It wasn't meant to show sera in a negative light

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Bioware thread, my birthday present for myself arrived, and geez.

This N7 leather jacket is way too awesome looking for an asshole like me to be wearing it. At least they started selling it in winter, it's too cold out for it now. Maybe by spring i'll have enough self confidence to try it out and about.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh man
    I know I SHOULD put the duchess to work for the inquisition but I really WANT to make her the court jester
    She was alive for you? I had to sit in judgement over a box.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Oh man

Wait how
    did you get this option? I got sent her body in a crate and I don't remember a chance to spare her life?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Again

It was either meant to be funny or to show sera not putting up with what she perceives to be lies and bullshit amongst nobles

It fails on both counts

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah

That was just a Sera joke that failed horribly and that the writer shouldn't have written

I still like her character since that view/opinion/whatever comes up in absolutely none of her other dialogue so it is just a weird one-off mishap

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Oh man

Wait how
    did you get this option? I got sent her body in a crate and I don't remember a chance to spare her life?
    Wicked Eyes
    If you publically call her out in the ballroom, you get a chance to tell the guards to take her away.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

It wasn't meant to show sera in a negative light

oh, agreed, but "Sera's supposed to be rude/awful" is the excuse I've seen most often on Twitter from people defending the line, so I'm pointing out that even if it were true, that it was intended to be seen negatively, it still failed.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah

That was just a Sera joke that failed horribly and that the writer shouldn't have written

I still like her character since that view/opinion/whatever comes up in absolutely none of her other dialogue so it is just a weird one-off mishap

She is still my favorite character

The problem is now I have to actively separate the character from the writer and enjoying her feels less natural

• Options
    Oh man

Wait how

How do EITHER of those happen?
    I had to kill her in a courtyard

• Options
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Oh man

Wait how
    Wicked Eyes
    If you publically call her out in the ballroom, you get a chance to tell the guards to take her away.

Aw dang that seemed like the least safe option

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Yeah, what Peccavi said

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Oh man
    i just have a smelly box taking up a jail cell. I might have to try to leave her alive next time.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Oh man

Wait how

Wicked Hearts
    Oh me too, I meant the crate arrives at Skyhold where you sit judgement on her corpse

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    I don't know guys maybe you shoulda maxed out your court approval like I did
    Which I'm pretty sure means that I should be the new empress but whatever

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    Oh man

Wait how

I don't know about the crate thing, but for the calling out thing to be successful, you have to have somewhere around 85% approval rating from the court. Maybe more? But I think it's around 85%.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    My court approval was through the bloody roof mate

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I dropped down to 99% right at the end because I got lost and took to long returning to the ballroom.

• Options
    My court approval was through the bloody roof mate

Mine was 85, I assumed 15th percentile was enough for whatever it could effect

• Options
    Oh I did get that option
    it just seemed a bit daft yelling at an assassin from across the room instead of getting close and stopping her

PSN- AHermano
This discussion has been closed.