As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are DSL modems interchangable? (SOLVED)

RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been using AT&T DSL for the past couple of years in different states. A couple of weeks ago, my DSL stopped working and clearly there was something wrong with the modem. I called AT&T and they said I needed to get a new one and mine was no longer under warranty. When they told me it would be about $80 to replace, I went straight to ebay.

After looking through the ones for sale (didn't want a 2wire one because they have built in routers), I decided on one of a brand I had never heard before ($10). I got it today, hooked it up, and I can't get it to work at all. I've tried going into the modem (192.168.0.1) but that didn't work. I did a little research and I found out this is the modem that Verizon uses for their DSL.

So my question is will I be able to use this modem? Or do I need to go back to ebay to find something that matches exactly what I had?

Raggaholic on

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DSL modems should be interchangeable. However, configuring them correctly can sometimes be a pain, especially if your DSL provider decides not to be helpful. I had a Pacific Bell DSL modem/router that was dieing on me, so I bought a comparable (albiet much cheaper) replacement from the same company that made the original one (Cayman/Netopia). I didn't even bother trying to get SBC (which bought out PacBell :( ) to tell me how to set it up, as in the past they refused to even support their own modem/router. I had a hard enough time just getting their techs to give me all the numbers relevant to my account (IPs, gateways, etc.). Anyways, once I had those numbers it wasn't too hard to set up.

Later, because SBC (now AT&T) was so shitty, I switched over to Speakeasy for my DSL. Unfortunately, they use a slightly different network configuration, which necessitated me reconfiguring the router. Speakeasy was pretty awesome though, as their techs spent over an hour holding my hand trying to get my router set up properly (even though they had no documentation for it and could have rightfully refused to troubleshoot it). Eventually we got it figured out.

Regarding your modem though, when you tried going to the modem local IP 192.168.0.1, nothing came up? You might try 192.168.1.1, that's another common router IP. Also, hopefully the company that made your router has some kind of documentation online. It's also possible that you just happened to get a bad unit. eBay isn't my first choice for electronics or computer hardware.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Midshipman wrote: »
    Regarding your modem though, when you tried going to the modem local IP 192.168.0.1, nothing came up? You might try 192.168.1.1, that's another common router IP. Also, hopefully the company that made your router has some kind of documentation online. It's also possible that you just happened to get a bad unit. eBay isn't my first choice for electronics or computer hardware.
    I'm looking at a guide online that says to use 192.168.1.254 or http://launchmodem, but those aren't working. I can already tell this is going to be a pain, and it turns out there is a router built into this modem that I'll have to disable.

I know Ebay isn't always the best, but it was $70 cheaper and the person had a perfect rating. I know it was a risk, but just from the lights, things seem to be working ok with the modem.

EDITI just tried to use 192.168.1.1 (the modem has a router in it) and that worked. I can tinker with the router settings, but still nothing for the logging on and off of the DSL account. I went to the Westell (maker of the modem) site and they said since this modem was made for Verizon, I'd have to contact them. I don't expect them to be helpful, so I'm not bothering. Still working at it. If anyone has suggestions, feel free.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's been several years now since I've had my router/modem configured for AT&T, so I'm afraid I can't recall the details off hand. However, I do remember that it was setup to use the router along with the modem. Essentially the router/modem handled the actual ISP connection and any computer plugged in was networked off of the router (they'd each be assigned local IPs like 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 etc. When I switched to Speakeasy, I had to have each computer connecting to the ISP through the router (each with their own static external IP address). Not sure if that helps any.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Midshipman wrote: »
    It's been several years now since I've had my router/modem configured for AT&T, so I'm afraid I can't recall the details off hand. However, I do remember that it was setup to use the router along with the modem. Essentially the router/modem handled the actual ISP connection and any computer plugged in was networked off of the router (they'd each be assigned local IPs like 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 etc. When I switched to Speakeasy, I had to have each computer connecting to the ISP through the router (each with their own static external IP address). Not sure if that helps any.
    It just makes me wonder if I'm suppose to be in the router settings to get the modem to work.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Within a provider? Yes, they are typically interchangeable.

Between providers? Maybe, maybe not.

There are three standards for DSL. G.Lite, G.DMT, and TI.413. (Actually, there are more, but those three are the most common.) Your DSL runs on one of these standards, but your DSL modem may support all, some, or none of them. Or it might support them, but be firmware-crippled to only support one of them. For example, a modem used on SBC DSL in San Francisco might not work on Qwest in Seattle. (This bit a friend of mine in the ass when he moved.)

Which model of Westel is it?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm using a Westell 6100, and as I said, I found that it was specifically made for Verizon. I've been doing my best on the net and I've found that it has been able to work with Quest in Utah. Of course, that is of little help to me with AT&T in Indiana.

I've been able to get into the modem settings and put in my info from AT$T, but nothing is happening. I messed around with the VC configuration from a guide I saw online to get it to work with Bellsouth, but it was only marginally helpful and didn't get anything working with the modem either.

I've got half a mind to just go back to ebay and get one of those 2wires from someone who had AT&T, but I really want this to work.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, Google tells me that that modem should do all three of the modes I listed above, so it might be your VPI/VCI setting. Do you know where to change that in the modem settings? I would try VPI = 0 and VCI = 35 first, then try VPI = 8 and VCI = 35 next. See if either of those work. (I'd suspect 0/35 because that's what Ameritech used to use.)

If neither do, and nobody else on PA has any ideas, I'd suggest taking your question over to the forums at dslreports.com because those guys are nuts when it comes to detailed broadband problems.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, you might need to call your ISP up and find out their VPI/VCI values, and maybe if your circuit is even pppoe. But yeah, 0/35 is pretty much default for those settings, and unless you've got a static IP or something, it should be pretty straightforward. Hmm. Let me ponder this for awhile. It could be that your ISP uses a different Subnet mask? Verizon uses 255.255.255.0 by default.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Well, Google tells me that that modem should do all three of the modes I listed above, so it might be your VPI/VCI setting. Do you know where to change that in the modem settings? I would try VPI = 0 and VCI = 35 first, then try VPI = 8 and VCI = 35 next. See if either of those work. (I'd suspect 0/35 because that's what Ameritech used to use.)
    I was using 8/35, as that's what I was told that BellSouth uses, but neither work.
    If neither do, and nobody else on PA has any ideas, I'd suggest taking your question over to the forums at dslreports.com because those guys are nuts when it comes to detailed broadband problems.
    I went over there, but the problem is their message boards seem very slow (four to five posts a day). I've made a post there though, just to see.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    SikarianSikarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I work for HiWAAY DSL provider down here in 'Bama, we use 8/35 for our lines. Since we lease our lines from bellsouth, 8/35 would be what you use for a Bellsouth line.

Sikarian on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God, 18 hours off work and I forget the stupidest shit. What's the interface in the 6100 look like? White background and dark blue buttons, or a really dark red and black Verizon branded page? If it's got the white background, there should be a big blue 'profile editor' button on the main page. You can click that to enter your username/password for AT&T. Just click it, then click the edit button that magically appears. If it's the red and black interface, there's a few more steps.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, calling AT&T's support line might be worth a shot, but I wouldn't expect much from them. They won't support another modem and chances are their level one techs won't have any idea what VCI/VPI even are let alone what the settings should be.

If you do call, tell them you're a Linux user, even if you're not. That's usually enough to convince them to escalate you to somebody who actually knows what they're talking about.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Arth wrote: »
    God, 18 hours off work and I forget the stupidest shit. What's the interface in the 6100 look like? White background and dark blue buttons, or a really dark red and black Verizon branded page? If it's got the white background, there should be a big blue 'profile editor' button on the main page. You can click that to enter your username/password for AT&T. Just click it, then click the edit button that magically appears. If it's the red and black interface, there's a few more steps.
    The GUI is the one with the blue profile editor button. I've had my username/password in for a while, and still haven't had any success with the log on.

I guess I'll call AT&T to find out what they use. In the area where I configure VCI and VPI, there are also settings for PCR QoS and LCP Echo. Does anyone know what those are all about, and if I should leave them at their default values?

EDIT: Ok, I have things working now. I just shut everything down (modem, comp), used 8/35 and nothing worked. Then I restarted everything and used 0/35 and all is working now. I have no idea why it didn't work before. The modem said it reset its settings when I changed it, but I guess I had to power down for some reason.

Thanks for the help, all!

Raggaholic on