As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOBODY EXPECTS THE FERELDEN [INQUSITION] especially if you never leave the Hinterlands

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    question, spoilers of iron bull stuff, but plsssss dont spoil me:
    I need to get a lovely dragon tooth for our lovely necklace of bonding love business... Is there a convenient time for this to happen or should I just go find a dragon somewhere and kill it?? im level 13 right now, just entered the ballroom quest so I have time still...

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Now that I'm so close to a platinum trophy for this I wish I had had the foresight to play on a harder difficulty from the start.

At this point I just need to do some gardening, upgrade more potions, and finish one throne and then it's on to subsequent play throughs on Hard and Nightmare.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Okay well I beat the game and now it seems a waste to play anything other than
    an elf mage romancing Solas. I started a human mage but the circle conflict actually gets resolved pretty early. Maybe I'll be able to have a bit of Cullen on the side.

This calls for a new world state with the warden as queen! I guess you get your demon baby after all, Morrigan.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    hmm

so i'm playing my inquisitor as a bit of a... like let's just say he likes to get around
    i've fucked dorian (and was super sad to see that he doesn't want to continue if it isn't going to be serious) but stopped because i wanted to ride the bull at some point as well

also while doing josephine's companion quest
    the good inquisitor gave the minister the night of her life in return for reinstating the du paraquettes as nobility

now the thing that's confusing me is
    i still have the option to romance dorian when i speak with him, and he seems open to it, except there seems to be no real way to progress on that?

like, he says "people will talk..." and the inquisitor says "let them!" and then after speaking to him again it's the exact same dialogue choices given including the one labelled "This will start a romance with Dorian."

is this a bug or do i just have to get through another story beat with him or something?
    I think this is just because Dorian is King Flirt of Flirt Forever Mountain. Even after a lady Inquisitor goes through his personal quest (and finds out that he is not into ladies), it still offers the flirt option and he responds but it never goes anywhere. It's fun banter, though!

Regarding the scene everyone is mentioning after Well, Shit:
    How soon is that supposed to trigger/ how do I trigger it? I finished that quest last night, but haven't gotten the scene. Do I need to farm some more approval from Varric?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Right fuck this

The areas unlocked after you get skyhold are great but it's party time now

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I hate you Western Approach but I gotta clear you the fuck out cause I ain't even been to Emerald Graves or Emprise du Lion yet

Go to emerald graves. Western approach will still be there.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    So I'm in Crestwood fittin' to do the quest to find a certain grey warden. I just did one of those Astrarium thingys and I realized something that may or not be the case. I'll put it behind spoilers because I don't think it would be cool to see unless you've finished the game.
    This astrarium was for a constellation called Silentir. It said it represented Dumat, first among the Old Gods, and the first archdemon. The codex entry also mentioned it could represent someone that supplants Mythal, who is an Elven god. I think it says that this being carries a staff or wand and a horn. Now...that had me thinking about elves, and staffs, and horns pretty hard. Then I thought about the word silence...and that led me to think about Solas. Now, I don't know what Solas means, but just saying it makes me think of silence. This guy is an elf, that carries a staff, and wears what looks like a horn or tooth on a necklace. I've been somewhat suspicious regarding his nature and what not since the beginning. He was there when the rift opened up, he had some knowledge regarding what it is and how to combat it, he talks about dreams, dreamers, and the fade a whole hell of a lot. He knows things attributed to the fade, but even then it seems to me, he'd have to have been around for a long ass time just to acquire that knowledge through his supposed journeys through the fade. I don't buy it at all. Dude has been leading me on since the beginning and I've been blinded it by his true nature because of how nice and genuine he appears.

I followed that Elf string and thought about Mythal herself, which led me to think about the other gods of the Elves. That led me to the dread wolf, Fen'Harel. Do you remember the Mask of Fen'Harel in Redemption? Of course you don't, you didn't watch it. Here's the skinny on it in a nutshell, it opens portals to the fade. Yep. Portals. To. The. Fade. Hmm... Maybe I should mention that Fen'Harel was also buds with the forgotten ones, evil gods the elven gods were at war with. He was totally their bro, until he tricked them, and sealed them up in the abyss forever, or so we thought...

Now what happened to these evil gods? I'm going to say they were in fact the old gods of the tevinter and whatever Fen'Harel did to the elven gods and the forgotten ones is why this world is where it is now. Dude is responsible for all of it and he's right fucking here next to me! I just know it!

Oh maker! There has to be more of these elven gods walking around, too. I can't overthink this or I could ruin all their stupid fucking plans.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    So I'm in Crestwood fittin' to do the quest to find a certain grey warden. I just did one of those Astrarium thingys and I realized something that may or not be the case. I'll put it behind spoilers because I don't think it would be cool to see unless you've finished the game.
    This astrarium was for a constellation called Silentir. It said it represented Dumat, first among the Old Gods, and the first archdemon. The codex entry also mentioned it could represent someone that supplants Mythal, who is an Elven god. I think it says that this being carries a staff or wand and a horn. Now...that had me thinking about elves, and staffs, and horns pretty hard. Then I thought about the word silence...and that led me to think about Solas. Now, I don't know what Solas means, but just saying it makes me think of silence. This guy is an elf, that carries a staff, and wears what looks like a horn or tooth on a necklace. I've been somewhat suspicious regarding his nature and what not since the beginning. He was there when the rift opened up, he had some knowledge regarding what it is and how to combat it, he talks about dreams, dreamers, and the fade a whole hell of a lot. He knows things attributed to the fade, but even then it seems to me, he'd have to have been around for a long ass time just to acquire that knowledge through his supposed journeys through the fade. I don't buy it at all. Dude has been leading me on since the beginning and I've been blinded it by his true nature because of how nice and genuine he appears.

I followed that Elf string and thought about Mythal herself, which led me to think about the other gods of the Elves. That led me to the dread wolf, Fen'Harel. Do you remember the Mask of Fen'Harel in Redemption? Of course you don't, you didn't watch it. Here's the skinny on it in a nutshell, it opens portals to the fade. Yep. Portals. To. The. Fade. Hmm... Maybe I should mention that Fen'Harel was also buds with the forgotten ones, evil gods the elven gods were at war with. He was totally their bro, until he tricked them, and sealed them up in the abyss forever, or so we thought...

Now what happened to these evil gods? I'm going to say they were in fact the old gods of the tevinter and whatever Fen'Harel did to the elven gods and the forgotten ones is why this world is where it is now. Dude is responsible for all of it and he's right fucking here next to me! I just know it!

Oh maker! There has to be more of these elven gods walking around, too. I can't overthink this or I could ruin all their stupid fucking plans.

according to the inscription near the front door of the temple in forbidden oasis, at least if I'm remembering correctly.
    Solas means pride

take from that what you will.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »

according to the inscription near the front door of the temple in forbidden oasis, at least if I'm remembering correctly.
    Solas means pride

take from that what you will.
    in irish gaelic, solas means light

as in... lucifer the lightbringer????

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    I generally agree, that the game has a really compelling narrative, and is fun to play, but it could have used another few weeks in QA.

There are very serious bugs in Combat Mechanics

Most of the accessory rings that do +Damage or Duration rings for individual skills are incredibly buggy, they will often times cease to work in between loading screens, and if you stack rings for one ability, and this bug hits you, you will lose duration/damage over standard.

And some key mage skills out-right do not function like the Lightning Passive that reduces cool-down on Spells with every attack (no cool down reduction at all, makes the trait pretty much functionless).

Rift Mage's Stonefist will give you 'Shatter' or 'Rupture' Combo text when you use it, but actually, gives you no additional damage (like a combo is supposed to), so really you just cancel that helpful crowd-control by triggering the bugged combo and get nothing extra.

Immolate doesn't function as a detonator like the tool-tip suggests, so is incapable of triggering combos.

Also the primary detonators in the Warrior 2-Hander abilities contribute exactly '1' extra damage from their combos with Sleep and Freeze.

I have no idea how people notice this stuff

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about it, and I wanna plan my dwarf supremacy world state.

If anyone has any good input on what I should do, besides the obvious, lemme know.

Decisions primarily involving DAO - such as all the major quest decision
    I'm having trouble deciding on: Anvil of the Void, Elves vs. Werewolves, Mages vs. Templars, what to do with the Urn, etc.

Should the choices just focus around making dwarves more powerful, crime more plentiful (gotta help the Carta profit), and make all the other races + the chantry more miserable? God, this is actually harder than I thought it would be.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dwarves get very little focus in these games

I'm not sure how you'd set it up when so little of the choices involve them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    What the fuck, noooo

Sutherland
    I went to the Storm Coast to save the crew, but then it triggered Iron Bull's quest when I zoned in
    Then, after I finished that, my Sutherland quest was gone, and when I go to the tavern it says they're dead?!?
    :(

Noooooo

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I haven't seen all the areas yet, but Crestwood is easily the best one I've seen so far. It has a decently lengthy quest chain that actually changes a significant portion of the zone, whereas every other area so far just feels like a bunch of random quests.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

elf supremacy is sooooo much easier

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    the carta is small time

what you need is an immortal army of golems led by king bhelen

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the carta is small time

I'd rather take the blight

Aeducan, never forget

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

I actually think in order of importance the races are given over the series

its probably humans > qunari > elves > dwarves

but elves and dwarves both sort of feel like an afterthought to the setting on occasion

• Options
    the carta is small time

you ever read the prologue on that?
    it doesn't turn out well, in the end

and leaves Branka lurking as a threat in the deeproads

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Dubh wrote: »

I actually think in order of importance the races are given over the series

its probably humans > qunari > elves > dwarves

but elves and dwarves both sort of feel like an afterthought to the setting on occasion

I don't know about that. We barely knew anything about Qunari in DAO and dwarven society didn't play much of a role in 2, but elves have had fairly prominent roles. They've just been ground down under the heel of humanity.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    elves have had a lot of screen time

between the Eluvian, their matching quest in DAO, their rights in Fereldon, etc.

lot of things could happen

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    what do you mean by "sided with bull"

His loyalty mission:
    I took his side in Demands of the Qun. No way was I going to let him throw away his pride and joy merc company for an alliance with the Qunari. Those fascists can keep their dreadnoughts, minus the one I let get blown up.

He obviously didn't want to do what the elf said was needed and looked at me and I told him to pull them back.
    I think you're misreading that situation

bull doesn't have a side, he looks at you because he does not know what to do

with that said though
    fuck the qun, there's no way the chargers are getting left behind
    How many good lives are on that Dreadnought man? How many people are you sacrificing to save a handful of chargers?

signature.png

• Options
    JohnHam wrote: »

His loyalty mission:
    I took his side in Demands of the Qun. No way was I going to let him throw away his pride and joy merc company for an alliance with the Qunari. Those fascists can keep their dreadnoughts, minus the one I let get blown up.

He obviously didn't want to do what the elf said was needed and looked at me and I told him to pull them back.

with that said though
    How many good lives are on that Dreadnought man? How many people are you sacrificing to save a handful of chargers?
    maybe this would matter if they ever introduced them to you or they were anything other than some dudes on a boat

I felt like that choice was pretty poorly done, it really didn't feel like they put any effort into making me feel like the choice wasn't an automatic one

• Options

His loyalty mission:

with that said though
    okay but consider the following: I don't value qunari lives over charger lives

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

His loyalty mission:

with that said though

0 people I know, therefore 0 people I care about.

ladi.png
  • Options
    that is definitely the attitude I want to hear from the leader of the inquistion

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hmm I don't think there's a specific quest I can tag this as so, general spoilers for Cassandra and Leliana post Adamant and Wicked Eyes
    it's pretty clear that Leliana is an awful choice for Divine, right?
    Or at least next to Cass she's the clear loser of the two
    Can you imagine the murders
    That's the direction I went in. Leliana would be a good Divine too, IMO, but Cassandra had ideas about where the Chantry should go that seemed more constructive.

That situation is going to be really interesting on my second playthrough because I will deffo be romancing Cassandra.
    So I specifically sided with Leliana after she talked about making huge changes and seemed really passionate. It said that I would put the weight of the Inquisition to push for her to become the Divine. The game then selected Cassandra anyway? I was like BULLSHIT, especially since I had romanced Cassandra.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    that is definitely the attitude I want to hear from the leader of the inquistion

As long as the person playing the game has a baseline human brain they are going to value people they know over people they don't

its just how our brains work

• Options
    Psst. This game is $45 on Amazon today. Pass it on.

• Options
    I just wish the inquisitor could actually say that in-game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Perhaps if I grew up in Thedas and actually assumed command of an army I'd be the sort of person to sacrifice for the greater good, but I don't really inquisit much in my day to day, alas.

Iron Bull loyalty spoilers
    I wish Bull did or didn't save the chargers based on your actions up to that point, rather than you telling him which one to go with.

ladi.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I started a new character after finishing yesterday, but I think I'll wait for a patch or two so I don't run into any quest breaking glitches again. Bugged me never getting a quest from Cullen or Blackwall.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Shen wrote: »
    Perhaps if I grew up in Thedas and actually assumed command of an army I'd be the sort of person to sacrifice for the greater good, but I don't really inquisit much in my day to day, alas.

Iron Bull loyalty spoilers
    I wish Bull did or didn't save the chargers based on your actions up to that point, rather than you telling him which one to go with.

I think this would have felt less false, but also characters should have their own agency and not just be extensions of the main character so

Not sure how they should have done it

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    you already did sacrifice for the greater good, just a different thing for a different good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    As soon as I finish my farming junk and upgrading potions, pretty sure it's time to push through to the finale.

Probably going to start up again on Hard with an Elven Warrior, going for Reaver. Had a lot of fun controlling Iron Bull later on when you've got the gear to support going completely ham in a way that the AI really won't.

• Options
    I just love all the war table messages from King Alistair. I can very clearly hear his voice in my mind as I read them, and that's so great.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    question, spoilers of iron bull stuff, but plsssss dont spoil me:
    I need to get a lovely dragon tooth for our lovely necklace of bonding love business... Is there a convenient time for this to happen or should I just go find a dragon somewhere and kill it?? im level 13 right now, just entered the ballroom quest so I have time still...

At level 13 you could probably take on the Northern Hunter in Crestwood, if your gear is good enough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014

His loyalty mission:

with that said though
    I mean, on a 1-to-1 basis, I agree, but that is a big ship. How many Qunari lives is a single charger's life worth?

The Qun and the Inquisition are both, on some level, about the giving over of oneself to a bigger whole. Saving the chargers preserves something personal, and important, and valuable, but at a gigantic cost to something way, way more important for EVERYONE. Bull is intimately familiar with the idea of self-sacrifice for a greater perceived good.

I had the impression from him during the game that he really, truly believes in the Qun, and during that scene that he needed me to make that hard choice for him. As important as the chargers were to him, the Qun is fundamental to his identity. I honestly think if we made the other call and Bull became Tal-Vashoth, or if the choice hurt the Inquisition's efforts, the guilt would wrack Bull forever. I guess there's no option that lets him off guilt-free ;_;

I just realized that in that last sentence I referred to myself and a fictional character as "we", without really thinking about it. This might be a good video game.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options

His loyalty mission:

with that said though
    I mean, on a 1-to-1 basis, I agree, but that is a big ship. How many Qunari lives is a single charger's life worth?

The Qun and the Inquisition are both, on some level, about the giving over of oneself to a bigger whole. Saving the chargers preserves something personal, and important, and valuable, but at a gigantic cost to something way, way more important for EVERYONE. Bull is intimately familiar with the idea of self-sacrifice for a greater perceived good.

I had the impression from him during the game that he really, truly believes in the Qun, and during that scene that he needed me to make that hard choice for him. As important as the chargers were to him, the Qun is fundamental to his identity. I honestly think if we made the other call and Bull became Tal-Vashoth, or if the choice hurt the Inquisition's efforts, the guilt would wrack Bull forever. I guess there's no option that lets him off guilt-free ;_;

I just realized that in that last sentence I referred to myself and a fictional character as "we", without really thinking about it. This might be a good video game.

He's actually totally ok with it

• Options

His loyalty mission:

with that said though

He's actually totally ok with it

Even if so, it doesn't affect the perceptions I had at the time that led to my choice. I'm comfortable with it. I made the choice that I thought was right for the character I came to know, and the story context that we were in.

signature.png

This discussion has been closed.