As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Natri's Renewed Drawing Thread. Also painting these days. [nsfw]

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    Natri wrote: »
    Thank you, buffylove!

Some illustration:

bedelmans_zps45c422c4.jpg

This one literally made me gasp. Holy shit, it's got so much life and expression! Artgasm.

• Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    Thanks, Nic!

I might hate it tomorrow, but right now I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out:

wilmots_zps7e013207.jpg

www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    holy shit
    when did you get so good?? These are fucking amazing. I absolutely love the colors you use and your brush strokes and the life in these!!
    also, had no idea you were in belgium!! hello from holland

• Options
    Hey thanks Kochikens! Yep, born and based in Belgium. It's a small world!

• Options
    Stepping way out of the comfort zone of portraits:

cityscape_schuman_zps9eeb4fed.jpg

Struggling and stumbling through this thing. What do you guys think? Suggestions, flaws, comments or Harsh/Honest criticism welcome!

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are you using reference? I cant tell whats happening on the street strait ahead, exactly. I like it, though the colors are very nice.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I agree with @Iruka on the lack of clarity in the last one...but I also agree that the colors are gorgeous! You've got some fantastic pieces in this thread.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the feedback Iruka and NightDragon!

You're absolutely right about the lack of clarity. I used a cell phone picture that I took as a reference, but it was pretty blurry.

I decided to just get rid of the mass of people that it was supposed to be, and make it a nearly empty street. Hopefully it reads a bit better now!

cityscape_schuman_beter_zps2e7d7bbd.jpg

Natri on
  • Options
    Spent all day working on this here thing.

selahsuewip_zpsc673c8f3.jpg

Might go for color someday.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Decided to go in another direction, wasn't happy with that last one. Felt too much like her head was pasted on her body for some reason. And a bit flat.

So this is something else.

selahsue2_zps3bba769a.jpg

edit:

Aaand I went crazy, might have ruined it or not..

selahsue2color_zpsa2835f9f.jpg

Natri on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Lovin' them blue eyes. The rest is cool too, but the eyes are just gooood.

• Options
    Thanks, Arden Canelo!

Saturday-afternoon-sketching

erikvanlooywip_zps7bb20667.jpg

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    You're killing it, Natri. These are more digital mimicking traditional, right? You should bring a tablet to a figure drawing session.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Thanks lyrium, more digital mimicry indeed. For some reason, I feel like figure drawing should be done traditionally. You can't beat that oldschool struggle.

Anyway, I'm screwing around with this one here:

jeroenmeus_zps4e757721.jpg

Was hoping to make this a portfolio piece that I could show magazine editors, but it's not really coming along as smooth as I hoped.

Natri on
  • Options
    LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    Wow you leveled up so much in just 6 pages! Amazing work man!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Thanks LegacyGame!

Calling it quits for now..

jeroenmeus_zps220f9af0.jpg

Natri on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Color craze

stromae_zpseaff7caa.jpg

Natri on
  • Options
    Been a while since I tried a caricature.

willfichtner_zps158a1a1b.jpg

• Options
    I'm starting to see a bit of a sam spratt influence, I think? I imagine you do a bunch of studying between your posts, I would be curious as to who your influences are now, and if you have any rougher doodles to show?

• Options
    That's a sharp observation, Iruka. Sam Spratt has indeed become a huge influence recently. He and Jason Seiler are probably the biggest ones right now.
    I've got some rough and crummy life studies that I do inbetween these things. I'll post some in a bit.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Okay, so I've taken some of the doodles and studies that I did over the last 6 months. They're all flawed in one way or another though.

daenerys_zps519695f3.jpg
    millersketches_zpsa7707716.jpg
    wilmexperiment_zps486b31a3.jpg
    03-03_zps10a63b3f.jpg
    truedetcolorstudy_zps4b30c94d.jpg
    ptest_zps34ffbb57.jpg
    10-9-hands_zps04cfae6d.jpg
    moody_zpsc85d41d3.jpg
    cooleshizzleweb_zps0de35523.jpg

Pretty much all of it is related to faces I now notice. I've got some figure drawings and paintings as well, but they're on my phone. Once I get them transferred to my hard drive I'll throw those in too.

Natri on
  • Options
    Its nice to see the loose stuff, it seems playful, which is excellent. You are really picking up a handle on form when it comes to just building it with chunks of light. The portraits are starting to look confident. The paintings with shifted layers are totally freaking me out. do you work like that, or is it just messing around?

• Options
    Thanks, Iruka. Still have a long way to go though. There's just so much to learn sometimes you don't even know where to start.

The shifted thing happened on accident at first. I would be drawing and accidentally somehow hit a button on my pen in combination with keyboard-shortcuts and poof... Copied a part of my layer and shifted it. But then I liked it and just painted over it a bit. It happens from time to time. I might work some more on that last one, think it has some potential to turn into something new and unexpected.

Another portrait, was a tribute I did last week for a recently-deceased singer.

lucdevos_zps7376e59c.jpg

Along with a lunchbreak prep sketch:

gorki_zps1064af7a.jpg

• Options
    Probably the last painted thingy I'll have done in 2014.

cityscape2_zps016615d1.jpg

• Options
    Really like that street, its nice to see your painting skills applied to more than just portraits. Portraits that have a good likeness are plenty to built a portfolio on, so its not really a crit, but I like seeing the flexibility, personally.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I know Jason Seiler! My teacher is really good friends with him, was one of his groomsman. Cool fella!
    Really cool colors in that last piece. Building that kind of depth in a scene is a nice skill that doesn't really get shown in portraits.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks you guys!

So cool that you know Jason Seiler, lyrium. Jealous of all the awesome artists living Stateside.

Going to do more of these city painting things, here's an experiment. Focussing mostly on value and color for describing objects and creating depth. Trying to come up with colors that aren't there but still hopefully fit in.

cityscape1_zpsb1311cc1.jpg

Natri on
  • Options
    Natri, I fucking love these.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Glad you like em, Iruka. What you said about switching things up really stuck with me, so making an effort to step out of that comfort zone.

A while ago I said I'd post some life drawings. Well, I've finally gotten around to taking some (cell phone) pictures.

First one is a 4-hour study:
    modelfin2014_zpsffa43e9e.jpg

An older one from 2013 that I stumbled upon:
    model2013_zpsb5408c4a.jpg

And this is from last night, after the first 45 minutes:
    modelpaint_wip_zpsdffa2502.jpg

After 3 hours. I like the beginning better.
    modelpaint_zps241ed622.jpg

I'll say this, if you ever feel like you're getting good at painting because you got some photoshop skills, try painting from a live model. That shit will burst your bubble real quick.

Natri on
  • Options
    oil portrait from life, 1.5hrs.

modelportret_0128_zps715b2338.jpg

• Options
    Been painting some dogs.

dogs_zpse7e3ec9c.jpg

• Options
    Nice! Those tones and shapes look good. Do you always work in oil?

• Options
    Thanks, Iruka! Nowadays it's pretty much always oil. I tried acrylics a while ago, but the paint just dried too fast for my liking. Maybe because it was summer, but I had to replace the paints on my palette every hour or so 'cause they were dried up already. It is a lot easier not having to worry about solvents and toxicity though.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    More life portraits, 1.5hrs each.

modelportret_0225_zps4updixoa.jpg

Natri on
  • Options
    Struggling on with them paints.

anspach2_zpsxlaqkhbi.jpg

• Options
    I feel like the figure is a little distracting in this one. When I block him out I look further into the painting.

• Options
    I had a lot of doubts about including him in the picture myself. Should have done some small studies before jumping right in with the big one. I'll see about painting over the figure.

Here's the other big one I'm painting right now. Still need to go over the figures for a second detail pass.

psyche_web_zpsnqarztkk.jpg

This one is fairly experimental for me, pretty much winging it. Any thoughts?

• Options
    I like it, I cant tell what is happening with the foreground figure (Im not sure if Im supposed to though?). I like the colors, though.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    These are all just wonderful. i LOVE the textures you have going through everything. I keep going back to the city one that you described as "Probably the last painted thingy I'll have done in 2014." I love the focus of the people around the light, waiting to cross and the car...so much crammed into that area, the the rest sort of breathes, and directs you back to that area. Love it.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Thanks so much, NakedZergling!

I went back to the blue city one and more or less got rid of the figure, also threw in some color because I wasn't feeling the monochrome thing anymore.

anspach2_color_zpsceaxmg1n.jpg

Just following my gut and we'll see what happens, might have to use it as underpainting for something else in the future.

Also thanks for the feedback, Iruka, it helps a lot!

Natri on