As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

far cry four

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I don't know.

I kind of want to hang out with Pagan Min.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    2vRujal.png

YOU'RE WELCOME

?

Do you mean like the splash screens that load when the game starts, or the cinematic intro when you first start your playthrough, or what?

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Splash screens.

broken image link
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So my friend's interpretation of this game has become that Pagan Min is the good guy and Ajay and the Golden Path are assholes

Which is uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XaIuw6K6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i9IIDj_SXQ

6F32U1X.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    If I only had the intro and the secret ending to go by, I'd be inclined to agree

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    If I only had the intro and the secret ending to go by, I'd be inclined to agree

Luckily ubi and the creators of the far cry games have always asserted that they're intended to be a de construction of shooters in particular.

I would assert the the writers of the series just suck at what they do.

• monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    2vRujal.png

YOU'RE WELCOME

This works to remove the splashes, but this makes it so you can't connect to Uplay. At least, it did for me. As soon as I re-enabled the splashes, I was able to connect.

What's so bad about the splash screens

It's like ten seconds

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Those ten secondses add up.

broken image link
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I guess I'm not gonna play this for a while.

Mouse acceleration is all weird, and aim assist isn't working properly with a controller.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Mocap and voice acting is fantastic, which just rubs in how hollow and pointless every piece of dialogue and plot is. If you excised it all the game would actually make more sense. It's amazing how they can spend so much time saying nothing. I hated Gta 5 for this as well. Like I love the game for the gameplay, but I'm getting kind of sick of the environment artists and gameplay having to always do the heavy lifting for games. Just hire better God damn writers. It's getting ridiculous.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Mouse acceleration is all weird, and aim assist isn't working properly with a controller.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15097&game=Far Cry 4&title=Far Cry 4 Big Fixes - Stuttering Fix, Intro Screen Skip And Disable Mouse Acceleration

Did you try this? Worked for me.

I played a couple of really really awesome mid-game missions last night.

Specifically,
    the one where you're escaping from prison and have to wingsuit through the valley all whooooooosh

Felt awesome, man.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I haven't had any problems with the writing in this game yet
    But to be fair I've only just now really started pushing through story stuff because apparently I can't go climb those other towers on the map yet which is bullshit

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15097&game=Far Cry 4&title=Far Cry 4 Big Fixes - Stuttering Fix, Intro Screen Skip And Disable Mouse Acceleration

Did you try this? Worked for me.

Intro skip worked, but I dunno about stuttering fixes because I haven't played enough. And I haven't done that because the instant I realized mouse acceleration was still on, I uninstalled it.

Not gonna play it until such a time I can actually control it satisfactorily.

b1ehrMM.gif
    Ok, so aim-assist is an option, but does it barely do anything/do anything at all?

I have it turned on, and I don't think I've ever seen it work.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    This is a pretty great game

Just opened up the north, and I've start claiming all of the towers and outposts already.

The story is sort of whatever. There are bits I don't like, usually character oriented, but I don't really mind it. Pagan Min is a great antagonist, and easily one of the more vile human beings in video games.

The best character though, so far, I think is actually Mr. Chiffon. The guy who sends you on the rare game quests. Your conversations with him before the quest are always surprisingly good. I've only got 3 quests left before I'll have crafted everything. Really hope the writers stick the landing on his finish.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey so I'm playing this now
    It's a lot of fun! These eagles are bullshit though

I can already see it coming though that the rebels are going to be just as bad as Pagan Min and the one guy is going to be a religious hardliner and Amita is going to push for modernization at all costs and in the end any victory is going to feel temporary and hollow

I feel like there's an inherent cynicism in these games that make it hard for me to say I am a Fan of Far Cry

You've pretty much nailed the narrative path

I like the cynicism though

It's just... I know from the get-go there's no way I can save this country
    Does that not stop you in your tracks for just a second
    Does that not make you kind of sad

edited December 2014
    No because radio towers and outposts

Also I don't like saving the day in every game I play

That's part of why I liked GTA4's story so much, it started in a shitty place and then ended in a different kind of shitty place

UnbreakableVow on
    Look nobody loves the towers and outposts more than I
    But I'm never able to entirely put the story of any game out of my mind

If I don't have a context for the chaos I'm perpetrating then I lose interest fast, but in this case the context is one of cynicism and futility, so it's... a tough spot for me to be in, intellectually

I like saving the day
    That's... that's kinda why I play games, man

It's fine sometimes!

Just...not all the time

The only good people in Far Cry 4 seem to be either dead or incidental sidequest NPCs.

The only good people in Far Cry 4 seem to be either dead or incidental sidequest NPCs.

The little girl is probably not a psychopath

I do really like Mr. Chiffon a lot, though

Need to get back in the game and finish up his stuff

They put a lot of heart into his little minute long monologues at the start of every mission

Whenever I jump up on an elephant I just want an option like

Press X to Ride Off Into The Mountains and Live a Life of Meditation and Asceticism

I've yet to ride an elephant in this game

Wait I think I did maybe once, did they force you to at one point?

If not then I didn't

I'm too worried I will get an elephant killed to ride them recreationally

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I really wish I hadn't started this just before I left on my vacation, because a small nagging part of me keeps wanting to get back home just so I can play it.

Driving seems trickier in this one
    I think it's because of using the stick to accelerate and steer
    Also forget turning while reversing

You can switch back to the old controls if you want to

The single stick way ended up growing on me a lot

All the vehicles are just as endearingly insane to drive as in fc3, and maybe just a little bit more with only the left stick to do so

edited December 2014
    It sure is a Far Cry game when I have a lot of instances of having recently vaulted off a cliff on an ATV yelling fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Grey Ghost on
    Yeah

Yeah

And I love that so much

Did I mention the eagles are bullshit
    As are the dholes

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Dholes are the worst.

I automatically ignore the protection from wildlife karma missions because there is a 100% chance the person will be dead before I even identify where they are

I've decided I'm putting ridiculous paint jobs on all my guns this time
    With my purple bow and my gold revolver and I think this shotgun is pink? Whatever, let's roll

Yes gray ghost, yes

You and me