As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need a new text ringer... You pick

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
So I'm sick of my current text ringer, and I don't really feel like going back to one of my old ones. I've used:
    Metal Gear Solid communicator ring
    FF7 victory like in Advent Children
    AOL's "You've Got Mail"
    Zelda "New Item"

So I'm running out of ideas here, and I know G&T has some pretty good ideas. Now a text ringer is a bit different from just a regular ringer, for those of you who may be curious. I need something short (2-3 seconds?) but loud and distinctive enough that I know it's my phone, and that everyone around me knows that I'm a geek. :D If they recognize it anyway.

Currently I have gotten a great response from FF7 and AOL because a lot of people know it, especially the AOL one. People get some odd looks when they hear something while standing in line at the bank that they don't usually hear unless they are at a computer. :)

So, G&T, give me some ideas for a new text ringer. If you have sources as well that would be awesome.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some good choices here, sorted by console:

http://search.ign.com/articles?pr=true&query=sms/voice%20mail%20alerts

I'm still rocking the codec. Used pac-man's death sound for a bit, as well.

e: Well, nevermind, they're all the same choices, just entered under each console's section, but there's 10 of them. :)

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have FFVIs victory fanfare as mine. It works well.

Khavall on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually use the MGS "!" sound for my messages and a Codec ring for my regular ring tone.

Haven't changed it in months and I love it so much.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How about Phoenix Wright's "OBJECTION!"

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Use "Receiving Incoming Transmission" from Starcraft. It's classy.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I use Crackdown's Agility Orb sound. It's perfect.

ThrustinJ on
  • GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Something from StarFox 64.

"Pretty smooth flyin', Fox."

"Do a barrel roll (Z or R twice)!" etc.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HeathWalaHeathWala Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I used the Bunnies' "DAAAAHHHHH!!!" from Rayman Raving Rabbids for about a day. I loved the sound, but I got sick of getting strange looks and trying to explain it to people who didn't know the game. Now I'm back to the Zelda "Item Catch" sound.

I also tried the "Achievement Unlocked" blip, but it was so quick and quiet that I couldn't hear it from my pocket. So that went to the tone graveyard alongside the Bunnies.

HeathWala on
    Wii Number: 8959 4224 8837 4851
    XBL Gamertag: HeathWala
    Pokémon Diamond FC: 0774 0722 6998
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    'OBJECTION!'

projectmayhem on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I use the "Item Get" sound from Super Metroid.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • HeathWalaHeathWala Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, and if you're looking for a full-on ringer instead of an alert sound, Phoenix Wright's "Steel Samurai Theme" as a MIDI sounds exactly like his ringtone in Phoenix Wright 2. It's AWESOME.

HeathWala on
    Wii Number: 8959 4224 8837 4851
    XBL Gamertag: HeathWala
    Pokémon Diamond FC: 0774 0722 6998
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Holy crap - now I need to get Objection onto my cell phone - that's a great idea. My ringtone is Biz Markie's "Just a Friend" - not really a combination that makes sense but oh well.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My dumbass samsung won't let me change my text tone, I used to have the first few seconds from Gang of Four's "ether"

also a 30 second loop of flim by Aphex Twin as my ringer.

Both are on Deezer.com if you want to hear them (you do want to hear them, honest)

LewieP on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I used the mario one-up for a while.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So far I'm looking into a Super Mario tone (either power up or 1UP) and the Objection one is pretty cool if I can get an isolated clip of it, but I'm not sure how long I can stand hearing "Objection" all day. I get a lot of texts and I wore out my "You've Got Mail" pretty quickly that way.

Heath - I can see where "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" would get old pretty quick. It's pretty funny though. :)

The Starcraft and StarFox clips sound like a good idea too. I just gotta find them now. Starcraft keeps giving me the utility to remove/add sounds to the game, but no actual sounds. My Google-fu is weak right now for some reason.

Lewie, have you searched for some bypass utilities to allow you to change ringtones? I used to think I was locked out on my Verizon phones until I found bitpim and some proper drivers.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited October 2007
    it's nothing to do with the service I use, the phone simply doesn't have the capability to use mp3s for text tones.

I'm in the UK and our phones are pretty much entirely open, cheers anyway.

LewieP on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have the Mario One Up and possibly the powerup on my home computer; I'll upload whenever I get home.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    HeathWala wrote: »
    Oh, and if you're looking for a full-on ringer instead of an alert sound, Phoenix Wright's "Steel Samurai Theme" as a MIDI sounds exactly like his ringtone in Phoenix Wright 2. It's AWESOME.

I have this theme as my ringer and can vouch for the awesomeness.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You should also consider the "You just jumped onto Yoshi!" sound from Super Mario World.

W2 on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you receive text messages that often, maybe something really, really short like the Mario coin sound would work best. :o

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
    edited October 2007
    Ok, apparently my phone doesn't like <1sec sound clips (the mario clips are showing as 0sec in bitpim) and my phone won't accept them. :( Gotta fix that.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited October 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Ok, apparently my phone doesn't like <1sec sound clips (the mario clips are showing as 0sec in bitpim) and my phone won't accept them. :( Gotta fix that.

add a few seconds of silence to the MP3, I reccomend Audacity if you don't have any software to do this.

LewieP on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was actually just trying to find the sonic 1-up sound for mine.

though I like the starcraft one.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Phoenix Wright, when you save.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've got the Demon Prince scream from DoW: Dark Crusade, on max volume and it scares the shit out of me every fucking time.

My friends also have quite the penchant for messaging me when I'm half asleep, it's great.

Ginger Mijango on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    R2D2

The 24 CTU ringer

Those are actually MP3 files, but to get them to work on my phone I had to just change the extension to .mid. So if your's does MP3 just change the extension back to MP3.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    where is a good place to get these from? I never seem to save any sites I find besides vgmusic, and that is more about the songs than little sound snippets.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited October 2007
    Starcraft Incoming Transmission is selected as of right now until I find something else I like better. I just need to change it today 'cause I'm getting sick of hearing my old one. :D

Changed my ringer too, but I use clips of songs for that, not too nerdy (except when it was White and Nerdy) usually. :)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I used the "Secret Revealed" sound from A Link to the Past. It's pretty awesome.

TwistedJester on
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    where is a good place to get these from? I never seem to save any sites I find besides vgmusic, and that is more about the songs than little sound snippets.

I just play with Google until it turns up someplace that works. Sometimes it requires giving away an e-mail address, which sucks, but I have a spam account I use for that.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have the 24 phone ringer for my calls, and the intercom ring for my texts. Works great, because it sounds like a phone, so you don't get embarrassed when it rings in public.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    I actually use the MGS "!" sound for my messages and a Codec ring for my regular ring tone.

Haven't changed it in months and I love it so much.

I have the same exact setup. I love it. People recognize it all the time.

I made them myself. Don't remember which program I used though. There are lots of great ideas in this thread ; It makes me want to do something new.

I was thinking something to do with Firefly/Serenity but I can't really recall any short, recognizable sounds from it. I'll have to watch them all again.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had Objection! as my ringtone, and I can vouch that it is quite good.

But I want for my text message tone to be when you are saving. I think it was called "The Trial Isn't Over"

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AbsoluteHeroAbsoluteHero __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Where can I get a Metal Gear Solid "!" sound?

AbsoluteHero on
  • NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

If I were at home right now I'd send you the one I use, but I am not. Send me a PM if you don't find one by tomorrow night.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Starcraft Incoming Transmission is selected as of right now until I find something else I like better. I just need to change it today 'cause I'm getting sick of hearing my old one. :D

Changed my ringer too, but I use clips of songs for that, not too nerdy (except when it was White and Nerdy) usually. :)

I win

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nastyman wrote: »

If I were at home right now I'd send you the one I use, but I am not. Send me a PM if you don't find one by tomorrow night.

Send me too

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    For those of us who were looking for the MSG '!' sound, I found it here.

This site also has some other MGS2 sound bites.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Psychonauts. The mocking sound Raz makes when he wins over a mexican wrestling guy.

If anyone has this in mp3 format please post a link to it.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What I would like to find for a ringer is the Star Wars Imperial march Elevator music featured in the Family Guy Star Wars episode.

EDIT: After searching and searching I've made this ringer myself by snipping the audio through the peecee. If anyone wants it PM me, It's in .mp3 format, can do .wav if anyone wants.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn