As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question about taking pins on an airplane (carry on)

dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
A question for those of you that have traveled to PAX Aus, PAX East, or PAX Prime via airline. Have you guys had any trouble taking pins on carry on or did you end up checking it? I am not really worried about the metal so much as the needle that's on the back which I guess could be considered a weapon. I'm going to the Playstation Experience in Las Vegas this Friday and on the off chance that Naughty Dog is selling the 30th Anniversary Pin I want to make sure to buy an ample amount of pins.

According to TSA trading pins and decorative pins are okay for both carry on and checked bags. I still want to hear thoughts on the issue though. Hopefully @PedroAsani‌ can chime in as I recall you brought back several Aus Core sets for a certain @Happendy‌ ... :P

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy

• Options
    Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    I can tell you, and I probably had one of the most excessive amount of pins in a carry-on, that there is absolutely no problem. I warned the TSA agents that my bag contained hundreads of metal pins, and they didn't even need to open it. Twice.

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I always have my lanyards in my carry on, never had an issue. My tradable pins are usually checked though.

Also, I assume you have your playstation experience tickets? I got 2 for free and have nobody to use them...

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    I have carried a bag FULL of pins on to 3 planes now without any issues.

• Options
    Yeah I bought the tickets like 2 months ago so didn't get to use that groupon deal.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    dchoy wrote: »
    A question for those of you that have traveled to PAX Aus, PAX East, or PAX Prime via airline. Have you guys had any trouble taking pins on carry on or did you end up checking it? I am not really worried about the metal so much as the needle that's on the back which I guess could be considered a weapon. I'm going to the Playstation Experience in Las Vegas this Friday and on the off chance that Naughty Dog is selling the 30th Anniversary Pin I want to make sure to buy an ample amount of pins.

According to TSA trading pins and decorative pins are okay for both carry on and checked bags. I still want to hear thoughts on the issue though. Hopefully @PedroAsani‌ can chime in as I recall you brought back several Aus Core sets for a certain @Happendy‌ ... :P

I certainly can.

Have the Pins bagged separately from everything else. In my carry-on from Aus I had: two laptops (one work, one personal) one emergency change of clothing (for the day the Throwers lose my checked bag) and three large envelopes full of Pins. Security had no issue with the Pins. There was one time we went through and they were checking everyone's stuff because Random checks at peak travel times are just The Best, but you don't have to worry about the posts on the Pins causing any issues. If you can take down a plane using a Pin, you can do it without one.

I suggest if you plan to take the Pins anywhere you use clear plastic bags. Big Ziploc affairs to make it easy to seal and unseal them. And always put them in carry-on. Checked baggage is thrown about like a hated ragdoll. The only way to avoid damage to stuff in checked bags isn't a "Fragile" sticker. It's an "Overweight" or "Heavy" one. Ask for them at the desk, no Thrower wants a hernia, so they treat your bag like the Ark of the Covenant. Two people lifting it at a time, and by the time they realise it isn't that heavy, it's already on the belt.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    "Do you have any sharp items in your luggage today sir?"

i]HEAVY BREATHING[/i

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular

No sir -- just a handful of fruit fuckers, two skull farts, a chainsaw suit, and a creepy doll.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    dmosinee wrote: »

No sir -- just a handful of fruit fuckers, two skull farts, a chainsaw suit, and a creepy doll.

...please come with us to the Secondary Screening Area.

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    I had pins for every pax prime and never had issues.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully Naughty Dog pulls through with the pins at the Playstation Experience... who knows.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully Naughty Dog pulls through with the pins at the Playstation Experience... who knows.

If that is the case, fill your pockets and the forum will love you forever.

• Options
    misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »

If that is the case, fill your pockets and the forum will love you forever.

I'll pay in East pins and blood, I swear it.