As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Goodbye, Girls [chat] NSF56K

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Catcher in the Rye is an excellent book

It's important to be able to read books without liking the protagonist all that much. This is the book that shows a lot of people that.

No

I am Jack's special snowflake

Lh96QHG.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Kerouac's poetry is actually the worst

holy shit

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I started playing legend of grimrock II

It's p fun but I forgot it's semi real time? I'd prefer it to be completely turn based. This whole dancing around in a circle rote dexterity test grows tiresome

But that is how EoB and MoM are, and they are the pinnacle of Blob combat, imo. Even better than Wizardry (Wizardry is better in other ways like character building).

I have not played any previous first person blob games. That explains it. I still don't like the real time aspect at all. I want to wander the dungeon at my own pace with a tick system like a classic roguelike.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I think Kerouac is shallow and pedantic

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Here is a list of works of fiction that had a big impact on me (in that they changed my thinking about something or have in some other way stayed with me my whole life):

1. The Great Gatsby

LOL ofcourse

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    catcher in the rye is a dumb book there is not even one sith lord or elf or explosion fyi hth

919UOwT.png
  • Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Hey guys :) I've got a question for you.

My mom is looking at buying a new car, possibly tonight, she knows exactly dick about where to go looking for reviews on what's a good car and what isn't...consequently she's lookin at Kia's, Mazda's, and Nissans (I'm not implying they're all bad cars, but I know each of those brands have cars with issues on the market currently).

The deal is a deer hit her car about a week ago and the insurance company, predictably, totalled her car. She's been a loyal Toyata customer for about 25 years, but she's had her last 3 totaled by her insurance company. So, she's irrationally angry with Toyota.

I'm hoping y'all will @Belasco32 me and maybe give me some links or advice about how to research cars before buying them.

Thanks!

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I love Howard's End.

It is one of my favorite books.

A Canticle for Leibowitz is my absolute favorite book though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

It's important to be able to read books without liking the protagonist all that much. This is the book that shows a lot of people that.
    I have bumped into 20 something lit-bros who like the protagonist. Its a thing. I don't get it.

I actually did like him - I sympathized with him and understood him to some extent - but I didn't think he was a particularly great dude, nor did I root for him.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    @Belasco32 Truecar.com really is a great resource.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    P10 wrote: »
    the catcher in the rye is great because people really love it when they are teenagers because they are all "omg holden is just like me" and then they re-read it later and are like "fukkin' holden wat a dumbass" and it makes me have a giggle

this feeling of superiority is at the heart of almost every post ripping on the book

I guess I'd have to reread it to know how I actually feel...

honestly I feel like this about almost any piece of media I'm 5+ years removed from. no one is remembering, to the passage, a book they read in high school (assuming you're near my age). It's become apparent to me that anything I haven't experienced entirely somewhat recently is pointless to talk about. all I can recall are the feelings it imparted which are so largely based on where I was at that they're effectively useless now.

(different if you read the book over and over, of course)

edit - or maybe I'm totally wrong I don't know

(side note, I feel like a lot of things that I read here that bug me are about feeling superior to teenagers. this is targeted at no one in particular)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    the only books i read in high school were LOTR and Tom Clancy

I wrote book essays on Tom Clancy books

I was also an asshole in high school and bought the movie 'Farenhype 9/11'

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

I have bumped into 20 something lit-bros who like the protagonist. Its a thing. I don't get it.

I can see why if you're a quibbling privileged effeminate neurotic white boy who lives (or longs to live) in westchester county so that they can escape (or long to escape) to manhattan, and yet has absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever about any of this, that you would like holden caulfield
    Soooo 9/10 lit majors?
    :D

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »

As if sex isn't the target (or at least the big expression) of almost all romance narrative in media period. It's not like rom coms don't often have the clumination of the quirky relationship be when they FINALLY sleep together.

That's really almost the codification of "romance" in general. Romance isn't love, its the pursuit, its the sales pitch that you are (or are still) worthy of receiving love in return. Love itself isn't dynamic in a narrative way almost by definition. When it works its no longer a conflict between two people, but a union of interests. And without conflict you don't have a narrative or a game. So you need someone else to provide the conflict and then the love is no longer the focus. Its a lot more interesting in a story to tell about how a couple met or how their marriage isn't working than to describe a functional, stable, loving relationship.

Romance novels that aren't regency, young adult, or inspirational (read: religious) almost always have a love scene with the protagonists by the middle, and usually have a relationship starting within a few dozen pages, either before and after. But the conflict does continue, because a substantial chunk of the time there's more to the plot than them making kisses, and they almost always break up around the climax unless one of them is in mortal danger, eventually followed by resolving, at least in part, the issue that formed the foundation of the argument.

Oh man, look at these covers:

srDrvY7l.jpg

Lh96QHG.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    the only books i read in high school were LOTR and Tom Clancy

I wrote book essays on Tom Clancy books

I was also an asshole in high school and bought the movie 'Farenhype 9/11'
    I read Michael Crichton's book about Global Warming and became an anti-Global Warming spewer for a solid year. My parents still make fun of me for it.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    the great gatsby influenced me a lot too

simultaneously made me want to be a part of and reject the haute bourgeoisie

like that movie metropolitan

or the rest of our society's cultural outputs i guess

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I love Howard's End.

I read it about 3 years ago and I still can't believe how good it is. It stuck with me in a big way, someone was saying earlier it's like 3 masterpieces all smashed together and they give you so much world building without really even saying much.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    wooohooo my boss is gone on vacation as of now and won't be back until I'm already at the airport heading to disney.

And I'm in charge

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I love Howard's End.

I read it about 3 years ago and I still can't believe how good it is. It stuck with me in a big way, someone was saying earlier it's like 3 masterpieces all smashed together and they give you so much world building without really even saying much.

The sequel, St Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman is also worth a read, but it's not on the same level as the original. Still very good and incorporated some of the post 1980s information we had on the aftermath of a nuclear war to expand the world.

Miller killed himself before it was finished though so it's got a lot of early draftitis.

Lh96QHG.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i haven't read a book for pleasure in a couple of years because i'm four and i don't know how to read

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited December 2014
    Ah books :)

As a later teen I loved The House of Seven Gables (I think that's the title), The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, and (this should make me even more unpopular here ;) ) Great Expectations

Belasco32 on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Marketing classes should not attempt to discuss economics. They are bad at it.

But they marketed the shit out of how good they are at it. Just like real marketing.

wait people take marketing classes

i thought it was just something you did after your liberal arts degree didn't pander out

Have to take a business ethics class as part of my cpa requirements. It's run by the marketing department for some reason. It's not even hard stuff they are messing up though. It's like they fundamentally don't get supply and demand.

cass no

too much

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

When I was in high school a girl who had a crush on me likened me to Holden Caufield. It was meant as a compliment.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I have discovered I have a super power.

I can tell when someone is a smoker by how attracted to them I am.

This new OKC thing with the YES/NO button is p cool except for it teaching me about my super power.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ludious wrote: »
    @Belasco32 Truecar.com really is a great resource.

Yeah, also the reviews at Edmunds are generally useful for a high-level overview of a model. For a specific brand, you can save time and do edmunds.com/mazda for example. If she's just looking for a generic mid-size sedan, the Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 6, and Nissan Altima are all reasonably good choices.

a5ehren on
    people hate holden because

I am not clear why, I always forget. haven't read it in forever, all I recall is him being sad.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Vanguard wrote: »
    ...poetry is actually the worst

all my agrees

Deebaser on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »

My mom is looking at buying a new car, possibly tonight, she knows exactly dick about where to go looking for reviews on what's a good car and what isn't...consequently she's lookin at Kia's, Mazda's, and Nissans (I'm not implying they're all bad cars, but I know each of those brands have cars with issues on the market currently).

The deal is a deer hit her car about a week ago and the insurance company, predictably, totalled her car. She's been a loyal Toyata customer for about 25 years, but she's had her last 3 totaled by her insurance company. So, she's irrationally angry with Toyota.

I'm hoping y'all will @Belasco32 me and maybe give me some links or advice about how to research cars before buying them.

Thanks!

does she have a particular type of car she's interested in? IE, midsize sedan, full size sedan, etc

then she can do research on the various offerings in that category (toyota camry vs honda accord etc etc) and test drive a few, and decide which is best

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    the catcher in the rye is great because people really love it when they are teenagers because they are all "omg holden is just like me" and then they re-read it later and are like "fukkin' holden wat a dumbass" and it makes me have a giggle

that's the point of reading it

you have this emotional connection to Holden when you're a teenager and it's so important and you really identify. Then when you read it in your 20s, the words connect you to that emotion but your brain intercedes and you think "wait, that is fucking stupid and Holden is an asshole, why would I even want to-

oh my god I'm not a kid anymore"

That's the entire point.

spool32 on

But they marketed the shit out of how good they are at it. Just like real marketing.

i thought it was just something you did after your liberal arts degree didn't pander out

Have to take a business ethics class as part of my cpa requirements. It's run by the marketing department for some reason. It's not even hard stuff they are messing up though. It's like they fundamentally don't get supply and demand.
    thats because business majors aren't real people

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

... But... I'm a.... :(

Deebaser wrote: »

When I was in high school a girl who had a crush on me likened me to Holden Caufield. It was meant as a compliment.

second only to calling you the kawaii-est

919UOwT.png
    edited December 2014
    Variable wrote: »
    people hate holden because

I am not clear why, I always forget. haven't read it in forever, all I recall is him being sad.
    he's fairly oblivious and a bit of a dope but not so much so to warrant the hatred he gets (esp. b/c he's a teenager)

P10 on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ah books :)

As a later teen I loved The House of Seven Gables (I think that's the title), The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, and (this should make me even more unpopular here ;) ) Great Expectations

ugggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

... But... I'm a.... :(
    accounting is ok because you are doing mafs

can we all agree that highschoolers are fucking stupid no matter how smart they think they are

919UOwT.png

Thanks!

does she have a particular type of car she's interested in? IE, midsize sedan, full size sedan, etc

then she can do research on the various offerings in that category (toyota camry vs honda accord etc etc) and test drive a few, and decide which is best

She wants something that's 4 doors, isn't too small, can go from 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds, and has at least 240BHP (the car she wants doesn't actually exist)

This discussion has been closed.