As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Telltale] Tales from the Borderlands - Ep.3 "Catch a Ride" out now!

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Just finished Game of Thrones. It was pretty great for Episode 1! Loved the music and setting.

Moving on to Tales of Borderlands later this evening. I haven't played the Borderlands game, so I hope I won't get confused..

Choices for GoT:
    Act I
    - Left Bowen the squire behind
    - Killed the Bolton soldier
    - Swore loyalty to the King
    - Asked Margarey to plead to the King

Act II
    - Sent Erik to the Wall
    - Sent Malcolm to Essos to find Asher
    - Took the mysterious key

Act III
    - Picked Royland as Sentinel
    - Met Ramsay at the gates
    - Defended Talia and offered to be hostage

Prisca on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    HOLY SHIT Game of Thrones

Choices:
    I stayed with Bowen.
    I swore loyalty to the King.
    I only told Duncan about the North Grove.
    I asked Margaery for help.
    I formed an alliance with Tyrion.
    I freed Erik.
    I stole the key and the seal from Margaery.
    I sent Malcolm to Essos.
    I picked Duncan as Sentinel.
    I met Ramsay at the Gates.
    I grabbed Talia away from Ramsay AND GOT STABBED IN THE FUCKING THROAT
    Whitehall took Ryon too.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I am also in the camp of "Game of Thrones, holy shit". Needless to say Telltale is practically printing their own money at this point. Episode is great, it's interesting without relying too much on characters from the main series or events that everyone already knows about. Which is really what they needed to do to sell it. Cheers for that, excited for episode two. Just wish I didn't have to wait til February for it.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Finished Game of Thrones, this was the first time in a Telltale game that I was really uncomfortable with my choices although that fear is assuaged by the fact that I know they won't matter in any significant way. The main plot was enjoyable enough that I don't really mind that though, the blur effect in this game is fucking ugly though. Not sure how this stacks up in relation to other Telltale games, I'll have to play more but it's looking good.

Ov3rcharge on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Finished GoT ep1. It sure is Game of Thrones-y. Some thoughts:
    I'm going to play through a few times to see if there's any way to not get throat-stabbed by the bastard. I doubt the story is going to be that malleable but it should be fun anyway.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    I'm going to play through a few times to see if there's any way to not get throat-stabbed by the bastard. I doubt the story is going to be that malleable but it should be fun anyway.

I believe there is not. That plays out like that regardless on what choices you make since this is like the prequel story setter.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Finished Tales from Borderlands.

Damn, that might be the longest first episode ever.

Lotta fun though.
    "I will name my firstborn Loaderbot."

I totally would after that awesome sequence.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    I've been really enjoying both Tales and Game of Thrones. They are both really good, and on par with at least The Wolf Among Us so far. Better than TWD Season 2.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Ramsey Snow is a prominent asshole in the main series so there's no way to tell him to take a hike.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    As a big GoT fan, both show and book:
    I didn't want let Ramsay in at all. I was just going to talk to him through the gate because there was no way bad things weren't going to happen if I let him in. Turns out I was right.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I'm glad to hear this is good. I love, love, love the books but hate the show with a passion. I'm looking for some fun interactive GoT. I might wait for em all to come out as I still haven't finished season one of WD. But I'm glad it's good.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    It's very much a show product. It's good, but if you hate the show, you might not enjoy it.

edited December 2014
    I'm curious how you hate the show though. I get that they leave stuff out that they probably shouldn't, but the show actually does a pretty good job in getting most of the info across.

Disclaimer I only read the first book so far but have seen the show up to date.

KoopahTroopah on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will say not having watched the show and only knowing basic stuff made it a little hard to follow at times, but overall it was easy enough to keep up with things.

As someone said earlier though, even though I know the story is more or less on rails I did find myself questioning a lot of the decisions I made.

End of Ep 1 spoilers.
    Like man was Ethan's part hard. And he got stabbed in the neck anyway so wooo.

I played episode one of Borderlands today, and I'll chalk up another A+ rating. Game is stellar. The presentation is fantastic, the UI is one of the best from Telltale, the gameplay is unique with custom abilities/quirks for each protagonist, and the comedy/story is so incredibly well written. It almost makes me sad that I liked this first episode better than Game of Thrones'. It was just overly presented better and had more content overall. I am looking forward to continuing both series though, it should be a great year for Telltale.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I played episode one of Borderlands today, and I'll chalk up another A+ rating. Game is stellar. The presentation is fantastic, the UI is one of the best from Telltale, the gameplay is unique with custom abilities/quirks for each protagonist, and the comedy/story is so incredibly well written. It almost makes me sad that I liked this first episode better than Game of Thrones'. It was just overly presented better and had more content overall. I am looking forward to continuing both series though, it should be a great year for Telltale.

Yeah, just finished episode one of TFTB myself, and I agree it's fantastic. I really liked the comedy in the story, and having played the regular borderlands games I loved the contrast they were able to create between vault hunters and regular people.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Glad to hear GoT is getting praised, I was holding off on it until I heard what other people here whose opinions I trust had to say. I was feeling really burned by TWD season 2.

In a future episode, I really hope they touch on why Rhys is being too stupid to use his robot hand when he's in a fight with a guy.

For some reason, that bugs the hell out of me. Is it made out of porcelain?

• ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    It's probably just that he doesn't think of it as a weapon. 'Just hit him with your cell phone!' is more how he see it.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Just finished GoT ep 1. It was great, as someone who is a turbo-nerd for all things both book and show.

It definitely was just a riff on the basic plot of the series, but they did it well and faithfully enough that it was satisfying.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote:
    In a future episode, I really hope they touch on why Rhys is being too stupid to use his robot hand when he's in a fight with a guy.

For some reason, that bugs the hell out of me. Is it made out of porcelain?

I get the impression it's not really built for combat and thus, isn't terribly beefy so to speak. I'm also not sure how it would fare against some of the combat shields that are prevalent in the borderlands setting.
    The sequence where he's trying to knock out a bandit by putting him in a chokehold makes it pretty clear that even with the arm, he's not particularly strong.

Yeah, GoT is on rails and I don't know how much you can really change, but the decisions you make are agonizing.

The Walking Dead did it some, but I never felt like I was making the wrong decision, but I wasn't sure I was making the right one either.

Decisions
    Fuck the Whitehalls. I killed their soldier for murdering my family. It was justice!

I took the man's fingers. That is the traditional and standard punishment, he should expect no less. The lord that passes the judgement should swing the sword.

I kept the northern grove secret, save for the uncle, because that's what the Lord asked. I wanted to tell the Lady, but maybe there is a reason it's a secret?

I chose Duncan as the sentinel. He was levelheaded and I was trying to prevent full on war.

I laughed at the "words are wind" line, as I'm sure everyone else who has read Dance did.

• CantelopeCantelope Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Not a fan of this GOT game. The same thing was going to happen no matter what. That kind of thing bothered me in the walking dead games, but I feel it's worse here. For me the wolf among us was a big improvement in giving your choices meaning, and this game was a big step backwards from that. I feel like they took away any meaning every decision you made might have had before the episode ended. In the walking dead they at least gave you an episode before they erased the consequences of your decisions.

I like the borderlands game, but I'm fairly disappointed in this game of thrones game. One of the reasons for that is that in borderlands and every episode of the walking dead you at least had something great to talk about with the community in regards to where things were headed. There was always a great discussion on what was going to happen next because it was fairly clear how the story was developing. Then with the wolf among us they made it so that there were alternate story paths before the end of a chapter, and you learned completely different information that helped you at least conceptualize the pieces of this big puzzle that is being put together. I don't see that here at this point, and because we know so much about the future of some of the players involved it's kind of hard to imagine how much anything interesting or important to the game of thrones larger story is going to happen in this game.

Cantelope on
    Well, I still haven't played through Borderlands, yet, but none of the decisions you make in any Telltale game matter really. The story is set in stone and you'll end up with just minor variations.

GoT masks this by making the choices difficult. No matter what you choose, you're left feeling uneasy with your choice. While you'll always go from point A to B, how you get there is the fun.

I still would like a truly branching Telltale game, but what we've got is pretty great.

In TWD S2, it couldn't have felt more obvious that your choices don't matter or don't matter so much except for about ten minutes before the character you saved died anyways.

Illusion of choice is expected at this point but man, it's really becoming see through in some of them post TWD S1.

I felt in the wolf among us decisions really did matter, and I felt that way after playing through it. At the very least, investigating different areas/events gave you different information that was important to understanding the full story.

Also, I don't get why people would struggle with making these choices. Most of the choices in this game, it seemed to me like there was a clear right thing to do, even if doing that thing didn't actually change anything.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I disagree that any of the choices in GOT seemed to have a right answer

J3qcnBP.png
    edited December 2014
    Okay, how about,

The decision of how to punish the thief? If you don't punish him you are encouraging thievery and lawlessness. The guy is already disloyal, cutting off a few fingers won't help that. If you kept him around could you really trust him to do anything? From my perspective it was clearly the right decision both morally, and pragmatically to send him to the wall. Also saves on expenses, a man short of a few fingers is going to be a liability as a soldier or a laborer. Sending him to the wall would have been an all around great decision

Cantelope on
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Cantelope wrote: »
    Okay, how about,

The decision of how to punish the thief? If you don't punish him you are encouraging thievery and lawlessness. The guy is already disloyal, cutting off a few fingers won't help that. If you kept him around could you really trust him to do anything? From my perspective it was clearly the right decision both morally, and pragmatically to send him to the wall. Also saves on expenses, a man short of a few fingers is going to be a liability as a soldier or a laborer. Sending him to the wall would have been an all around great decision

I definitely see your point
    I took his fingers and cut them with Ethan's own hand. Forrester's are a (according to game canon) old northern house, so I like to think they would follow Ned Starks ideal of a man passing a sentence should swing the sword. The wall is for life, remember, and many northern people are supposed to have great reverence for serving on the wall. He is now a known anti-forrester going to the same place Gared is, with all the implications that it could cause.

I felt as if every branch decision had all horrible options, as is the GOT motto. Telltale seems to have a "issue" where people expect their decisions to make vast story changes, rather than filling in details/colouring the world.

I figure all the set in stone stuff is that, set in stone. However the small issues like how
    how Ethan will be remembered
    colour in based on your dialogue choices.

It also helps that I am a GOT/ASOIAF junkie and will take any narrative they could offer into the amazing world.

J3qcnBP.png
    edited December 2014
    I see your point about the fingers. Alternatively you could have said I'm going to cut your fingers off if you don't take the black. Going to the wall has been a way of getting out of pretty much any punishment in the GOT universe.

Also, Gared being sent wasn't exactly an honorable affair. Sure, it was to save him but he's being punished for doing the right thing because that was politically inconvenient. I don't feel that the implications would be that bad "the men of the night's watch are much better at dealing with treachery such as his"

Another point I'd like to make with how you deal with things near the end...

In regards to how to deal with Ramsay there was also an obvious right answer. Bargaining? Yeah, he can take everything you own one way or another, so what's the point of just giving him some of it? As for fighting him, he's got a much bigger army backing him and his father is currently warden of the north. Diplomacy was the only thing that might have reasonably worked, and honestly it should have. Anyone who had half a brain would have realized that the White halls are going to squander whatever they are given. Not only do they mismanage their forests, they make inferior products. It just happens to be the case that many of the people in charge of things can't be appealed to, so whatever you were going to do things would turn out badly.

Cantelope on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Hahaha Tales from the Borderlands, if you escape out of the credits at the end
    "Telltale Games will remember that."

5gsowHm.png
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Well if there were any out and out good choices (atleast prior to knowing the consequences) the percentages would be pretty skewed. A number of choices I used vastly different logic.
    For the thief mercy wasn't possible, without consequence you can be damn sure it'd keep happening. The wall was also completely out of the question. Keep in mind the wall is a traditional alternative punishment to death for murderers and castration for rapists. And the smart ones choose castration. At least he'll live with missing fingers, and of course this is the north. He who passes sentence should carry it out.

For sentinel Duncan may have been the obvious pick but his advice is pure bullshit. Between sending off Gared which he had no right to do without consulting Ethan/Lady Forester, advocating the Wall as a "merciful" alternative to the fingers and wanting Ethan to play nice with Whitehall which would have achieved nothing but further undermining Ethan's authority I wanted nothing to do with Duncan. Royland is an ass and getting the Sentinel position goes straight to his head but his advice is sound. Yes Ethan you need to front up to handle the situation with the Whitehalls, yes we need to punish thieves and show strength or we are going to lose it. Of course given the choice I would have given it to Lady Forester. The only decent source of advice and backup that also isn't an entitled ass. But as is I'd rather Royland gets it then Duncan gets "rewarded" for undermining my authority and punishing Gared for trying to defend his (AND DUNCAN'S) family. In fact one of the choices I regret was not telling Lady Forester about the North Grove because I trust her to handle it a hell of a lot better then Duncan.

Finally with Ramsay while I understand not agreeing with Royland on the military response thing for me it seemed like the best chance to get through it. Bargaining? He's going to take what he wants it's Ramsay. Diplomacy? Psychopath, not someone I wan't to negotiate with. At least with a military response sure Ramsay could crush us but at least there would be a cost. And even Ramsay isn't that wasteful (Which is the only reason he didn't just kill everyone. Kill Ethan and take the kid and you cripple the house without affecting their logging and crafting)

• MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Game of Thrones -- It's really, really good.

I think I might play through the ending parts and see if I get a different result...

edited December 2014
    Melkster wrote: »
    Holy shit, Game of Thrones -- It's really, really good.

I think I might play through the ending parts and see if I get a different result...
    Ugh, what the hell?

The first time around, I opted for diplomacy but chose to meet Ramsay at the gate.

Second time around, I opted for military action and chose to meet Ramsay at the gate.

Both options seemed to result in the exact same encounter at the end. All my soldiers just standing around in the courtyard, and I'm forced to just let Snow walk his crazy ass inside.

Blargh.

Melkster on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Lesson one of Telltale games: the linearity is already hugely transparent if you've played anything they've done before, but going back and doing things a different way just to see how it'll turn out (prior to the final episode) is going to disappoint you.

joshofalltrades on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    The David Caijé effect.
    Lesson one of Telltale games: the linearity is already hugely transparent if you've played anything they've done before, but going back and doing things a different way just to see how it'll turn out (prior to the final episode) is going to disappoint you.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I don't know... I really loved choosing some of the different options in Tales from the Borderlands, but that's probably due to the humor of it. The choice you make when August is about to leave the deal with Rhys's perspective, for example, comes to mind.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    No, no. I mean, like, I expected the exact same ultimate ending.

But like
    the choice I made explicitly said "All my soldiers need to be on the walls, ready to fight"
    but instead
    all my guys were in the courtyard.

I honestly think it might be a bug.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I gave the demos for GoT and TFTB a whirl and if I buy in to either, it will probably be Borderlands. I enjoy the GoT show and liked what I got to play of Episode 1, but it didn’t grab me for some reason.

They seem to have nailed the Borderlands humour, though.

And since this seems to be Telltale thread, I’d like to say that I played through all of TWAU and enjoyed it immensely. Someone mentioned that there might be a second season and if so that’s a no-questions asked purchase for me.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    uilc5kmyuec82orgm9rz.png
    Minecraft: Story Mode will be an all-new narrative-driven game series developed by Telltale in collaboration with Mojang. Set in the world of Minecraft, the series will feature an original story, driven by player choice. It will not be an add-on for Minecraft, but rather a separate stand-alone product that will premiere in 2015 on consoles, computers and mobile devices.

Telltale's game series will mix new characters with familiar themes, in an entirely original Minecraft experience, inspired by the Minecraft community and the game that continues to inspire a generation.

I, uh... yeah so this a thing?

Sob24Nm.png