As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX South Forumers Dinner - TICKET SALES CLOSED

• Options
    WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    They are. And Franklin's is a best case scenario, but if someplace local is easier there are a lot of great places in and around SA that would be almost as good.

• Options
    PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    Wickersham wrote: »
    They are. And Franklin's is a best case scenario, but if someplace local is easier there are a lot of great places in and around SA that would be almost as good.

I think I remember someone posting about SA weather in January in another thread... Is outside really a good idea? I would love to try Franklin's, but my wife is not the first to volunteer for outdoor dining in less than optimal weather, and I prefer to not have to wear gloves while eating BBQ.

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    The problem with this would be someone has to get it, someone has to keep it warm, someone has to set up park and if any of those people don't do their job, we have at least 50 screaming people minimum, and what about the alcohol ?

• Options
    WOOT. GOT IT. http://schilos.com has agreed to keep it under 25.00 (they estimate closer to 20.00 depending on item we select)a person including dinner, desert (bread pudding), no alcohol drink, gratuity and tax. Final price will depend on which item we select.

Preliminarily I selected Wienerschnizel and Saurkraut (I lean toward kraut dog or burger). Maximum Capacity is 50

But we can only have one menu item from this list and everyone gets same thing

**Rueben

Corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese on grilled rye bread

Clubhouse

Turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo on toasted white bread with chips

Polish Neighbor

Polish Sausage on a toasted bun with a deviled egg and a cup of soup

Kraut Dog

Frank on a toasted bun with kraut and served with hot German potato salad

**Schilo’s Burger

Large patty on a French roll, lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickle and chips

Wienerschnitzel

Breaded and pan fried pork loin with choice of side

• Options
    chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Woo hoo! Is wienerschnitzel like a fried shake and bake pork chop?

• Options
    WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    Yes. It's a very thin, deep fried pork loin.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    chellers wrote: »
    Woo hoo! Is wienerschnitzel like a fried shake and bake pork chop?
    Traditionally made with veal, but these days and in the US, pork is more common.

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    The one year Pax East went buffet was a nightmare, the way that some attendees attacked the food, I thought someone was going to die. I was 15 minutes late because the organizer said don't rush and all the food was gone. The brought out a second round, I was sitting 15 feet from the line and all I got was the last 3 chicken fingers. As fun as some of the people are, etiquette at a buffet was beyond most.

Yes. Buffets at this type of event just don't work, as you mentioned a few times. Hopefully people can choose that one food everyone wants.

GhostDan on
  • Options
    1st choice: turkey club (if they agree to make some w/o mayo because nope) 2nd choice: wienerschnitzel w/home fries. I feel like a turkey club w/chips is a solid pre-drinking food. I would be pro-burger if it included cheese. Mmmmmmmm, cheeeeeese.

• Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    First choice wienerschnitzel with home fries, second choice Clubhouse.

• Options
    OK, Tickets are set to go on sale on November 1, 2014 for $ 25.00 all inclusive.

The event page is eventbrite.com/e/2015-pre-pax-south-forumers-dinner-not-affiliated-with-pax-tickets-13206981437 Any comments or concerns ?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    FYI this is not feasible for me as I don't eat pork. I know dietary restrictions make things hard though.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PM me about alternative selection and I will inquire

• Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I would love to attend andI'm not sure how many others fall into this category, but without a vegetarian option, I'll have to pass on this. I know at Pax east we had folks with other dietary restrictions. Having a few options to accommodate would make this more inclusive and increase attendance. Just my two cents.

• Options
    I would agree that I would like variety, but the places with variety wanted more money than people were willing to pay. So it was choice between 2 expensive and no one shows or, affordable and some cant attend. I am still open for options. We have a reservation but no money has been committed.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Agreeing with what has been mentioned above, I love the event but dietary restrictions means no pork. Did you ask if they would do one meat and one vegetarian and keep the price?

• Options
    MrAGeezieMrAGeezie OklahomaRegistered User regular
    that sounds amazing! If I can clear up time at Pax I will sign up (do we sign up before hand?)

Come check out my channel for ALL your Pokemon and Nintendo coverage.
    MrAGeezie - www.youtube.com/MrAGeezie
  • Options
    I am waiting on a response back, I hope to hear by tomorrow. The goal is Wienersnitzel, Turkey Club and Vegetarian (shoot for 3, hope for 2)

• Options
    edited October 2014
    MrAGeezie wrote: »
    that sounds amazing! If I can clear up time at Pax I will sign up (do we sign up before hand?)

Tickets should go on sale Saturday if all details are worked out. Its PRE PAX

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Dinner is set. I will no longer be monitoring this thread. Can mods please close or delete it. Thank you.

New Thread - forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/194147/pre-pax-dinner-tickets-now-on-sale#latest

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not sure why it would need a new thread.

Also the addition of a veg option is a great plan :)

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I was trying to avoid this getting buried at bottom of thread, and also did not know I could change TITLE. Thanks for clarifying

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    FirelingFireling Registered User new member
    I am glad you got Schilo's. Franklin's is truly awesome BBQ, but it was completely unattainable for this type of dinner. You can pre-order, but the calendar for each month opens at midnight on the last day of the previous month. You send an email with your order and they are taken by first come first served and they only allow a few pre-orders per day. My wife has tried several months in a row to make a pre-order for the BBQ unsuccessfully. She even had the email ready and sent it at 12:01 a.m., and still did not get a pre-order for the month.

Just showing up to Franklin's is a day trip in it's self. The line to enter starts forming at 6 a.m. and they don't open til 11 a.m. Most folks bring chairs, umbrellas and warm beverages with them to wait until they can purchase the lovely BBQ. And, Yes, It is that good.

To be honest I have been underwhelmed by the BBQ in Texas. Yes, I have been to and eaten at the big BBQ restaurants in Lockhart, at Salt lick south of Austin, and all over the place in Texas. They are just O.K. I will not go back to them. The BBQ in San Antonio is the same as most of Texas, just O.K. Yes, i have eaten at Texas Pride, and all the others on the various best of shows and triple D food shows.

Franklin's is the best and then my next favorite joint I have been to is a small BBQ chain in Utah and Idaho called Goodwood BBQ.

Now, if someone does decide to go to Franklin's, it is close to a 1.5 hour drive from the convention center area in San Antonio to down town Austin area where Franklin's is located.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    You need Pecan Lodge (Dallas). It'll wipe out the bad memories of many other places.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    WOOT FIRELING.. A fellow MAC :) IBUGLETTE is going to be there as well.

• Options
    Thanks for the recommendation orthanscstone. I will try them out next time I am in Dallas. My wife and I are Foodies, so we love trying to find good food.

Dol, I think we will be the only 3 MAC members in attendance. The thread on the forums didn't do so well. Tony and Uber said they might attend, but they have not purchased tickets, so I don't think they will make it.

• Options
    I purchased my ticket for the dinner. Looks like there are a bunch of tickets still available.

• Options
    Fireling wrote: »
    I purchased my ticket for the dinner. Looks like there are a bunch of tickets still available.

Yes there are plenty left, sales will pick up in December I am sure, its still a little early and people are waiting to see what the night holds. As soon as the Bar Crawl goes on sale these will go most likely

• Options
    I'm just wicked broke right now, but I'll get my tickets soon.

• Options
    Still plenty of tickets left. Get some food in your belly before the Bar Crawl. Buttoneering will be taking place if you want to get a jump on it.

• Options
    Ok, getting to be middle of the month, and I am getting a little concerned. Are people just holding out or is this an unwanted event at South ?

• Options
    It's a "first pax." Turnout to most things will be low until people hear about them. It's not like this forum is seeing a ton of activity.

• Options
    True enough. I just getting to be nervous neelie, close to 20 people emailed me saying they were in, but only a few have purchased so far.

• Options
    Yeah, it would be nice if there was more interest, but ticket sales are currently open right up until pax according to the eventbrite page, people might see that and just wait. Try pushing it hard after the 1st of the year if things don't pick up after the holidays. Email all those people and tell them they need to actually buy tickets ;)

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah, it would be nice if there was more interest, but ticket sales are currently open right up until pax according to the eventbrite page, people might see that and just wait. Try pushing it hard after the 1st of the year if things don't pick up after the holidays. Email all those people and tell them they need to actually buy tickets ;)

Holy CRAP, thank you for telling me that, I had them set for January 4th end date. I have to give them a head count on Jan 5th, so that would be a disaster.

• Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Sorry to pop in this thread, is there any info on the pub crawl? I want to make the dinner but my flight gets in at 5:30

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    I totally forgot about this, even though I voted for entree and stuff.

Ticket get.

• Options
    :) I am getting a kick with as many people that complained that there was no Vegetarian Option, not one has been ordered to date.

• Options
    Yeah I decided to volunteer for bar crawl instead back before there was a vegetarian option. Doing both would be a long night for me.