As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] So much fun you could burst a blood vessel

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Every time you miss a cs you could feasibly have gotten, receive an electric shock.

You learn quickly.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    credeiki wrote: »
    Is there any cure to csing better other than playing more, though? I've seen all these exercises suggested in bot games (try to cs without runes or masteries, etc), but did those of you with plat or diamond csing skills actually do those exercises, or did you just concentrate on csing while playing?

I think I can say that cs is not what's holding me back at the moment; it's the fact that I somehow manage to constantly throw while having significantly more gold (as an adc). I think that means it's a problem in positioning and/or vision and/or overall map movements.

I have started using a gold advantage to sometimes buy a defensive item earlier, but now that there's no negatron cloak, I don't know about that.

What ADCs are you playing? You're probably going to get a mixed bag but generally speaking using your gold advantage to build more damage is what you want. This is the advice I have taken from the top ADCs is just buy damage. CSing is something I work on every game and it got me from silver 4 to gold 5 over a period of 3 weeks and I am currently climbing my way through gold. Wasn't just CSing to be honest but its a big part of how I was able to dominate my lane and carry that into other lanes.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    My cs drastically improved when I started watching pro ADC streams and concentrating on what they were doing in lane. And I noticed that any cs missed were a choice. Additionally, I did the exercises and started really nailing in my cs.

It's been long enough since then that I need to train myself up, but definitely when I had learned how, the biggest change was the mindset of "Don't miss cs. Do not miss cs. You can choose to give up cs if you have a good reason, but absolutely don't miss cs"

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Buying defense early works if they have a fed assassin. Earlier sustain also works.

I find that Csing is a lot of learning what % of a health bar you're taking per ability and then visualy knowing when a minion is that low.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Is there any cure to csing better other than playing more, though? I've seen all these exercises suggested in bot games (try to cs without runes or masteries, etc), but did those of you with plat or diamond csing skills actually do those exercises, or did you just concentrate on csing while playing?

I think I can say that cs is not what's holding me back at the moment; it's the fact that I somehow manage to constantly throw while having significantly more gold (as an adc). I think that means it's a problem in positioning and/or vision and/or overall map movements.

I have started using a gold advantage to sometimes buy a defensive item earlier, but now that there's no negatron cloak, I don't know about that.
    The only real trick is to just play. Outside of 1-3 bot games on a new champion getting used to their damage and power spikes with regards to CSing and your strength in an engagement, you're not going to get the real feedback that matters.

CSing while under threat from an opposing lane is world's different from CSing on an open map. I would say defensive items are a crutch before core (IE/Shiv/LW or whatever your champ uses) as you should be focused more on playing safe and positioning properly. Knowing where you can be on the map, how to play around vision (or lack of it) for yourself and the enemy team, making sure not to stick out your neck so the enemy assassins can snap it are probably the hardest part of playing ADC mid-late game. It's something I struggled with for a looong time and still work on. Hell Doublelift fucking sucks at it and he's a god damn professional.

I think what really stepped up my game was looking at pro streams and, even if they weren't talking about the choices they made, trying to understand them. Why is it safe for them to camp this bush right now? Why did they back when it seems like they have a free lane to farm? Why did they suddenly disengage from this fight when it seems like they could keep going? Oh right, Kha spawned and is probably close. I should pay more attention to death timers in my game.

Overall game awareness is really key as an ADC because you are so fragile and at the mercy of your support for vision and early game dominance. Most of my plat life was spent just focused on farming up as much as possible and not taking fights so that I could be a monster late-game. It's changed now, along with the meta, but find something that works for you within your ranked sphere and stick to it. Oh, my supports never fucking protect me or are always roaming mid so I'll make sure to pick an ADC with an escape. Shit like that.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Miniwolf wrote: »

What ADCs are you playing? You're probably going to get a mixed bag but generally speaking using your gold advantage to build more damage is what you want. This is the advice I have taken from the top ADCs is just buy damage. CSing is something I work on every game and it got me from silver 4 to gold 5 over a period of 3 weeks and I am currently climbing my way through gold. Wasn't just CSing to be honest but its a big part of how I was able to dominate my lane and carry that into other lanes.

I think the best way to get better at CS'ing is to limit your champion pool. The timings of the AA's are very slightly but incredibly significantly different.

• Options
    Yeah I really think the best training is finding a stream for the position you're trying to learn, watching the game, and going "Ok, what are they doing, and why?"

Alternately, spectate games and do the same thing. Focus exclusively on the ADC and go "Why are they doing this that way?"

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I still want a 'pure soloq' option. I tick a box and I don't get matched with duo-queue people at all. I'd rather wait 5 minutes longer for a game and not have to deal with 'bot premade'. Its not even about their skill levels, granted most of my experiences have been them losing bot lane but bot lanes lose all the time. They're usually the most toxic guys on the team. Blaming the jungler when they lose the lane, saying gg at first blood.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Varega wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    I think I tried coaching people in League once. I think it consisted of a lot of "You should be doing X right now" and then "Try to be less bad at CS and using your abilities."

"You could normally fight him here and win but you have 15 CS instead of 40 so you don't have any items and don't do any damage."

I would let you coach me JAEF. Only because if anything I can sit through 10+ games of varega raging at me and I consider it endearing rather then hate fueled death threats.

Oh I'm sorry, didn't we have a winning record as a duo? Weren't we soloqueue gods? No? Well fuck you, you don't have freedom anymore.

True story, if I'm really quiet after games, its because I told you I was listening then I went to the kitchen.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Is there any cure to csing better other than playing more, though?

Yeah, play support.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    ARAM and dominion

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »

I think the best way to get better at CS'ing is to limit your champion pool. The timings of the AA's are very slightly but incredibly significantly different.

Well, even leaving AA's out of it and worrying about spell spam, I'm way better with Syndra and Lissandra and Ziggs due to practice and favoring them. Hopping between guys trying to learn to CS in some sort of ideal way isn't gonna happen.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Is there any cure to csing better other than playing more, though?

Yeah, play support.

Or jungle.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

I play Sivir, mainly. I play Caitlyn into some matchups, or when I'll be 1v2ing due to champ select bullshit, or if Sivir is banned against me in custom 5v5s. I practice Jinx, Vayne, Corki, Lucian, Draven, Ashe occasionally.
    But csing isn't my main problem. It's not unusual for me to stomp a lane, come out maybe 20-30 cs ahead and some kills, and then just...flounder.
    That said, I haven't played ranked since the season ended, so it's possible that the normals I'm playing are suffering from all manner of weird matchups and trolling and a certain lack of seriousness that makes it easier to lose advantages, and that the ranked games months ago where I remember this happening have been distorted by memory. During the season I went from Bronze 2 to Gold 5 but then didn't try to climb further, so I'm not sure where I could get to. Certainly in normals I've been known to beat high golds/low plats in lane, but that's just normals.

I think watching streams did make my laning better, but again, that's not really the problem. And the map movements/teamfight movements in high elo are not necessarily applicable to my situation (eg, I can probably get away with more unprotected splitpushing than a diamond player, but I can also expect less peel)--or if they are, I am not drawing the relevant lessons.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Man, these threads seemed to have slowed down a lot. Think it's been quite a while since it's taken two months for us to get through one.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Man, these threads seemed to have slowed down a lot. Think it's been quite a while since it's taken two months for us to get through one.

Always like this in between seasons. No LCS to comment on, and champ releases are slower now too.

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Yeah I need to make more posts that fill up pages huuum!(jk)

And for the cs I would say play the same champ and learn the aas and your damage. Like if you use the same rune pages and such you will deal about the same aa damage each game so you should be able to get to a point where you know what minion to focus acordinly to how many aas you need to kill them. And knowing the damage of your own creeps makes it easier to time your damage with the minion damage (I'm crap at it tho).

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i could talk about everything wrong with eve right now if you'd like

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    i could talk about everything wrong with eve right now if you'd like

The model is *awesome* up there with Taric.

• Options
    My philosophy on ADCs is that basically you're there because you do more damage to towers, faster than anyone else can.

Sure, in team-fights you'll be a sustained damage god, but if a Maokai is bearing down on you and you're trying to chew through the billion health before you can focus on other people, you're not going to be melting their squishies or anything like that, unless they're terribly out of position(Or in special cases where, say, you're Twitch and they're all in a line). And given enough time, your team can burn down tanks too.

So your job is first and foremost to be alive at the end of the fight so you can cleanup and most importantly, go for objectives(That sustained damage is super great when you're burning down Baron or Towers)

So everything you do from laning on should basically consist of either a: Taking objectives with your high sustained damage, b: finding a safe way to farm so you can take objectives even harder, or c: being in a good place for team fights if you think they're going to break out or if you're fed enough to crush in fights.

It's not a perfect ADC philosophy, but if you go into everything with the thought "My goals are objectives." and then secondarily "In order to accomplish that, I need to do good amounts of damage, and even more, be alive", then you at least have a good starting point to positively contribute.

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    So I'm 12-3 in my last 15 Quinn games. I guess she's pretty strong in my elo, as I didn't play leeg at all during s4 so I only get silver and gold players. Still shit's on a ton of top laners from great heights.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »

The only real trick is to just play. Outside of 1-3 bot games on a new champion getting used to their damage and power spikes with regards to CSing and your strength in an engagement, you're not going to get the real feedback that matters.

CSing while under threat from an opposing lane is world's different from CSing on an open map. I would say defensive items are a crutch before core (IE/Shiv/LW or whatever your champ uses) as you should be focused more on playing safe and positioning properly. Knowing where you can be on the map, how to play around vision (or lack of it) for yourself and the enemy team, making sure not to stick out your neck so the enemy assassins can snap it are probably the hardest part of playing ADC mid-late game. It's something I struggled with for a looong time and still work on. Hell Doublelift fucking sucks at it and he's a god damn professional.

I think what really stepped up my game was looking at pro streams and, even if they weren't talking about the choices they made, trying to understand them. Why is it safe for them to camp this bush right now? Why did they back when it seems like they have a free lane to farm? Why did they suddenly disengage from this fight when it seems like they could keep going? Oh right, Kha spawned and is probably close. I should pay more attention to death timers in my game.

Overall game awareness is really key as an ADC because you are so fragile and at the mercy of your support for vision and early game dominance. Most of my plat life was spent just focused on farming up as much as possible and not taking fights so that I could be a monster late-game. It's changed now, along with the meta, but find something that works for you within your ranked sphere and stick to it. Oh, my supports never fucking protect me or are always roaming mid so I'll make sure to pick an ADC with an escape. Shit like that.
    I get defensive items really early on Ashe when I play her because she has no escapes and almost literally every time I've picked Ashe, the enemy has Rengar+Kassadin+Yi or some stupid shit like that and no amount of positioning will save you from that if you don't have a little bit of meat on you.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So. ARAM. My team is 4/5 melees. The enemy team has Sona and Fiddlesticks.

We utterly destroyed them, never even lost our first tower. Basically all-in from the start with Wu, Aatrox, Fizz, and Pantheon. The first all in we got a kill and lost nobody. The second was the same. They got bloodier from there on since we didn't have much sustain, but our opening burst was enough to hammer them down. By the end, it would be aces for 3 people or so.

That said, I don't know how we pulled it off, since for the most part we needed most of the team there to get things done - anytime someone was down we mostly had to back off, or limit ourselves to cleanup.

Blowing up their Fiddlesticks 100-0 in a single combo of Fizz though repeatedly probably helped, though.

But really. This is the kind of matchup were we loaded in and were completely sure we were boned. And then this happens.
    http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1654772518/32070201?tab=overview

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

I play Sivir, mainly. I play Caitlyn into some matchups, or when I'll be 1v2ing due to champ select bullshit, or if Sivir is banned against me in custom 5v5s. I practice Jinx, Vayne, Corki, Lucian, Draven, Ashe occasionally.
    But csing isn't my main problem. It's not unusual for me to stomp a lane, come out maybe 20-30 cs ahead and some kills, and then just...flounder.
    That said, I haven't played ranked since the season ended, so it's possible that the normals I'm playing are suffering from all manner of weird matchups and trolling and a certain lack of seriousness that makes it easier to lose advantages, and that the ranked games months ago where I remember this happening have been distorted by memory. During the season I went from Bronze 2 to Gold 5 but then didn't try to climb further, so I'm not sure where I could get to. Certainly in normals I've been known to beat high golds/low plats in lane, but that's just normals.

I think watching streams did make my laning better, but again, that's not really the problem. And the map movements/teamfight movements in high elo are not necessarily applicable to my situation (eg, I can probably get away with more unprotected splitpushing than a diamond player, but I can also expect less peel)--or if they are, I am not drawing the relevant lessons.

If you're ahead. Take objectives. Never stop taking objectives. For the enemy AD to lose objectives in order to make up your advantage from laning.

Part of the problem with this is that if your team doesn't want to take objectives it can be hard, as the ADC, to force them to do it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    man

my last two games have been just. . .so bad that no one can even blame another person.

i'm talking 35-10 surrender at 20 because they're in our base already games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So I wanted to try Diana in the new jungle in ranked, and I like her. I even did well, but as you can see, the Zed on my team kind of carried the game a little bit.

7D3B8RW.jpg

Good lord 4/5 members of the opposing team had double digit deaths. Also your lane taxing is pretty impressive to have higher CS then the ADC...

I'm obsessed with farming whenever there's no an objective to be had. Any time there is a lane with nobody in it with a bunch of creeps, I'm there. I split push a lot, or more specifically push out lanes. If one of my lanes is not pushing against the enemy I will go there, wipe out the creeps, and then rotate to the tower my team is sieging, etc.

I never take creeps from my laners if they're in lane and not asking me to help them push though.

• Options
    Yeah...this shit's not gonna get through the preseason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAsS0eVmY4&feature=youtu.be

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Just gonna put this here.

shilin y u so good at drawing (she's also the one that did that Nami drawing Miss Fortune underwater pic)

10644781_862982763754476_7982825402768797520_n.png?oh=3ac26c0561489f4bbacec1120f287084&oe=5512261F

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So. ARAM. My team is 4/5 melees. The enemy team has Sona and Fiddlesticks.

We utterly destroyed them, never even lost our first tower. Basically all-in from the start with Wu, Aatrox, Fizz, and Pantheon. The first all in we got a kill and lost nobody. The second was the same. They got bloodier from there on since we didn't have much sustain, but our opening burst was enough to hammer them down. By the end, it would be aces for 3 people or so.

That said, I don't know how we pulled it off, since for the most part we needed most of the team there to get things done - anytime someone was down we mostly had to back off, or limit ourselves to cleanup.

Blowing up their Fiddlesticks 100-0 in a single combo of Fizz though repeatedly probably helped, though.

But really. This is the kind of matchup were we loaded in and were completely sure we were boned. And then this happens.
    http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1654772518/32070201?tab=overview

A lot of the power of Sona and other ARAM greats comes from how pokey ARAM games are. Going HAM in ARAM usually negates that super hard.

• Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Yeah...this shit's not gonna get through the preseason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAsS0eVmY4&feature=youtu.be

I think everybody realized Fiora's ult was benefitting too much from skirmisher just like WW. The difference is Fiora wasn't being picked constantly for jungle because of it, and I imagine wasn't being picked nearly as much anyway. It's not like any of this was rocket science. All you needed to do was get 6 hits in 6 seconds with the current skirmisher to outdamage an ignite, and that's amazingly easy to do with champs that have ults that proc on hits 5 times for them.

The skirmisher nerf on PBE to make it deal true damage over 3 seconds instead of on every hit is probably enough to kill lane Fiora taking it.

• Options
    man

my last two games have been just. . .so bad that no one can even blame another person.

i'm talking 35-10 surrender at 20 because they're in our base already games.

Mine have been like this as well. Usually with me going even due to jungle pressure and every otherlane being a massive stompfest. It happens. I am done with league for today sadly.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Have we talked about the merchandise store? I'd be slightly tempted to pick up one of the posters if they didn't have a logo slapped onto the corner.

Also interesting that they've got "League of Legends" listed under an otherwise empty Brand filter - seems like a subtle admission that they're working on a new IP.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the figures are 25 dollars? well, forget that

the leona one is pretty rad though

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I know they're going to print money with this, just like WoW did when they started selling mounts, plushes, etc. But jesus, $28 for 4.5 inch tall figurines? To me the value is just not there, no matter how much I like league champs, heh.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Burnage wrote: »
    Have we talked about the merchandise store? I'd be slightly tempted to pick up one of the posters if they didn't have a logo slapped onto the corner.

Also interesting that they've got "League of Legends" listed under an otherwise empty Brand filter - seems like a subtle admission that they're working on a new IP.

That stores actually half decent, they have a good mix of 'THIS IS A LEAGUE OF LEGENDS ITEM AND ITS A VIDEO GAME' and 'you'll get this if you play league' style stuff going on in the t-shirt & hoodies. I would consider purchasing the Demacia Hoody if it was a darker blue. The Thresh hoodies a little too 'I wear t-shirts with heavy metal band names' on them for me (nothing wrong with that, people can do that its just not me). There is a lot of stuff in there that is just so close to being fashionable in a practical European way but isn't because they went with the obvious. I'll hand it to them they did a good job.

Things of note:
    1.That jinx figurine is awesome they really captured the crazy
    2. My Poro Plush is on its way.
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I know they're going to print money with this, just like WoW did when they started selling mounts, plushes, etc. But jesus, $28 for 4.5 inch tall figurines? To me the value is just not there, no matter how much I like league champs, heh.

Thats generally the cost of those figurines even the anime/gaming related ones are around that price. At least from what I have seen.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I think the toys are awful and the price makes it worse.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Have Riot ever discussed reducing the distance of dashes, jumps, etc. by the appropriate amount when the target is slowed? Like 20% less distance on a dash when under the effect of a 20% slow?

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Have Riot ever discussed reducing the distance of dashes, jumps, etc. by the appropriate amount when the target is slowed? Like 20% less distance on a dash when under the effect of a 20% slow?
    God we can dream.

it'd probably make a lot of intuitive sense for the untargetted ones (vi's q, gnars leap) but for targetted ones? What do you do? reduce the range on Kat's E whilst she is slowed?

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Perhaps? I was just thinking about Ashe vs The League of Mobility (TM).

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    That's an issue better left for whichever marksman Ashe is supporting to deal with.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
This discussion has been closed.