As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android:Netrunner] The only time Bad Publicity isn't a thing to worry about.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Anzekay wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I think Breaker Bay Grid just fired Amazon.

Doesn't it say 'in' the server, meaning only assets and upgrades rather than ice?

This is true. I guess it works for Awakening Center, since that ICE is considered to be in the server instead of protecting it.

Comet gets crazy, I think, with Starlight Crusade Funding. You'd normally still have to pay the extra click on doubles when Comet fires, but SCF lets you double-double doubles without paying it.

Double-double! Power Nap or Lucky Find could really crank out some cash with it and Haley.

Replicator also seems to be something she's going to enjoy.

EDIT:
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    So Hayley Kaplan is pretty good. Might actually make a stealth build work.

Comet seems pretty nuts in a PPVP Kate deck.

I just realised that her ability lets you install a second card when using things like Clone Chip or SMC. That's super interesting!

Or Modded.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So the new pack is college themed?

Challenge: Build a Deck named "Double Secret Probation"

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno if its better than stealth Kate. I've installed fifteen card rigs and paid about six credits total with Kate.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    So the new pack is college themed?

Challenge: Build a Deck named "Double Secret Probation"

challenge-accepted.jpg

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    DIESEL: The official energy drink of UCBB.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my first impulse with hayley is that she looks like a newbie trap

but she miiiiiight make replicator worthwhile?

maybe the supplier and inside man might finally have their day in the sun

hard to say, I'll have to play her

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Really, I just want some corp player to yell out "ANARCH HOOOOOOOUSE!"

Houn on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Bogart wrote: »
    I dunno if its better than stealth Kate. I've installed fifteen card rigs and paid about six credits total with Kate.

The issue I've encountered with Stealth has never been money. Most Stealth cards are dirty cheap and pay for themselves many times over. The problem has been speed. It takes too damn long to build up a rig. Hayley gives you an extra click every turn, which might help make it viable.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Man, Comet is in the wrong faction ... I want to run that with Ken and just go on all the runs. All of them.
    But seriously, I'm ... really happy with this. That's the first Shaper I could actually see myself building a deck with and playing. That's a big deal to me. And the console is also incredibly fun. So much space to explore with those. :D

• Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    my first impulse with hayley is that she looks like a newbie trap

but she miiiiiight make replicator worthwhile?

maybe the supplier and inside man might finally have their day in the sun

hard to say, I'll have to play her

That console is pretty good, but Astrolabe seems better in general unless you are all-in on events. PPVP doesn't necessarily want to play 4 events a turn so I don't think it's great there (relative to Astrolabe). Oracle May/CT decks play a lot of events, so I guess it'd be good there.

Hayley's ability is very good. I think it solves the problem with Stealth Decks, to an extent. More importantly, though, since Shaper already have very good card draw or tutors, it seems very possible to exploit her ability. I mean it's an extra click, that's never bad. Install Opus and an SMC? Yeah, I'll definitely take that.

Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The console would be excellent for PPVP because you can slam down something like a lucky find and then play a run event (especially something like an indexing, which is free) for a free click right after. I actually think it'd be bonkers in my PPVP Kate deck, tbh

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I totally misread her ability the first time. I thought it had to be the same card, but depending on the variety of card types(still new to this game) you could get a lot of millage out of that.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yay! I found another gameshop in my area that does Netrunner nights on Thursday, which means in addition to my old place that does it on Wednesday nights, my work will have to schedule me to close both nights in a row (rare) for me to be unable to play netrunner, so I should be able to play every week now!

Played tonight as a result, really digging the HB deadcoat/architect build that I think Shorty posted up sometime back, hasn't lost a game yet, and had lots of situations where it was "either don't manage to crash through my giant remote and I score my agenda and win the game, or you do manage to and then I just punitive you to death on my turn anyway." Feels really strong.

My CT event/oracle deck on the other hand I think I am going to retire and go back to the runner drawing board. It is a fun deck, and when it works it works, but if the corp messes with you at the wrong time things seem to just kinda fall apart. I want something a little more sturdy. Or maybe I will finally get around to playing an Iain keyhole deck.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »

The issue I've encountered with Stealth has never been money. Most Stealth cards are dirty cheap and pay for themselves many times over. The problem has been speed. It takes too damn long to build up a rig. Hayley gives you an extra click every turn, which might help make it viable.

It hasn't really been my experience that the rig is slow to get up. Test Run and SMC get you your breakers in the order you want them super fast and since the deck has three cloaks, three ghost runners and four stealth hardware you will have several stealth credits on the board relatively quickly, which is often enough to get into either of their main central servers or a remote at least once a turn. The other clicks are spent drawing (through pro contacts) or installing a 1 cost program or hardware for free.

About the only card you need money to run is the corroder (used to run BlackKat, but couldn't afford the influence for it and the backup stealth hardware, and it felt iffy in terms of cost anyway).

I switched back to my old Kit Yogosaur deck this week and it felt nice to get back into the groove of getting the beast up, getting the paintbrush out and then running everywhere for free all the time. Need a decent answer for Curtain Wall, though, now that Blue Sun lays them down on the first turn like it ain't no thang.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    The console would be excellent for PPVP because you can slam down something like a lucky find and then play a run event (especially something like an indexing, which is free) for a free click right after. I actually think it'd be bonkers in my PPVP Kate deck, tbh

I guess what I mean is that Astrolabe is almost certainly a better console in my opinion. This one costs more for cases like Lucky Find+Indexing, otherwise you have to build around making sure you have relevant events in hand. I'd think it would save maybe 3-4 clicks a game for PPVP. For CT Doubles it will save more clicks though. Astrolabe usually gets you 2-3 cards, at least, and free card draw is a better ability than clickless event play, since you always want cards but don't always want to play 2 events. That's my thought process here.

It's early to tell, just my hunch is people will play it and then go back to Astrolabe for the consistency. But I've been very wrong many times before-- I thought Gabe was a lot better than Andromeda when she was released! :)

grungebox on
  • Options
    Well, I guess I think about all my PPVP Kate games and see where I could be gaining a lot of use from the console. It's not just a matter of saving clicks, it's a matter of saving clicks within the space of a single turn. Getting to use an economy event and then a run event in the space of a single click (or two if you lucky find) would straight up allow me to do plays that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do. And for a deck that is all about capitalizing on openings by using a strong burst econ, I feel it'd fit into my deck pretty perfectly.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well, I guess I think about all my PPVP Kate games and see where I could be gaining a lot of use from the console. It's not just a matter of saving clicks, it's a matter of saving clicks within the space of a single turn. Getting to use an economy event and then a run event in the space of a single click (or two if you lucky find) would straight up allow me to do plays that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do. And for a deck that is all about capitalizing on openings by using a strong burst econ, I feel it'd fit into my deck pretty perfectly.

Bingo.
    It's this kind of thought process that gets most often overlooked with these abilities. It's the same reason I won't always play a Sure Gamble the moment I draw it - you're hiding how much money you actually have. In this case, you're hiding the action capacity you actually have. Hayley in general is wonderfully designed in this regard, and that's why I find her so appealing.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Thanks for the work that went into the deck archetypes post early in the thread! Thanks to that I will be trying out a Ser Gabe deck soon. He's always been my favorite runner in the game from both a looks and mechanical perspective and pairing him up with three knights seems strong in a rather blatant way.

• Options
    It's also a matter of doing something where you set up one turn, drawing cards, installing an SMC or the like, and then the next turn you're able to play your econ boost and then do, say, an indexing into 2-3 more runs on R&D. Or the corp has just dropped what you're sure is an agenda and you need to get in there next turn, and the extra click you'll have to play that event allows you to get in when you might not have been set up to do so otherwise.

I can actually see myself starting to splash less in terms stuff like datasuckers or parasites and maybe fit in something like an Inside Job. I might even start using Maker's Eyes more often, too, since I've mostly been running without them or just using R&DIs.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Thanks for the work that went into the deck archetypes post early in the thread! Thanks to that I will be trying out a Ser Gabe deck soon. He's always been my favorite runner in the game from both a looks and mechanical perspective and pairing him up with three knights seems strong in a rather blatant way.

I've run something similar with Ken before and it was really fun and pretty decent! Have fun with it when you get a chance to try it out!

• Options

Bingo.
    It's this kind of thought process that gets most often overlook with these abilities. It's the same reason I won't always play a Sure Gamble the moment I draw it - you're hiding how much money you actually have. In this case, you're hiding the action capacity you actually have. Hayley in general is wonderfully designed in this regard, and that's why I find her so appealing.

Yeah, just want to chime in saying this is huge. As the corp you are constantly doing mental math at what the runner can potentially do during his turn and therefore what you can and can't get away with safely. Comet and Hayley definitely mess with such mental math, which can be offputting.

So, in other netrunner topics, I am pretty tired of going to my local brick and mortar stores and them being out of the latest Netrunner datapack. I have pretty much exhausted my store credit with them and now think I'll just be getting my cards online. Any recommendations for sites? Anyone try something like the team covenant subscription?

• Options
    I've been mostly just getting them from Amazon, due to #Primelyfe.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I also just thought of this use for Comet: Indexing then Maker's eye.

Excuse me while I laugh and laugh and laugh.

• Options
    so I've spent some time with leela patel, and she is really ridiculously strong early game, runs out of steam REAL BAD lategame, but it might not matter by that point because you probably only need to see one more agenda to win

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Cheers dude, glad it was helpful :)
    if you can think of anything else that would be useful let me know.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I also just thought of this use for Comet: Indexing then Maker's eye.

Excuse me while I laugh and laugh and laugh.

I don't know, I think I'd rather reverse the order. Indexing to Maker's Eye hopes there is more than one agenda in that 5 so you can efficiently grab them with the Maker's Eye, when sometimes there aren't any at all. If you Maker's first, you can possibly grab an agenda or trash some assets and see more cards with the following Index, though you might need to run one more time to capitalize on it.

• Options
    Either way works I guess! I think you're doing a bit of a gamble either way, I think I prefer the indexing first because if there's just one agenda/thing to trash you just don't play the maker's eye

• Options
    What's interesting is what order you play them in, in my opinion, is really variable and dependent on the game state. If you think they are running things like Snare then you will definitely index first. If it's early game you should definitely index first because you may not get anything, so you can save your maker's eye for later and arranging the cards into the least optimal starting order is always nice for the runner. On the other hand if it is lategame and you have tons of money and just need one more agenda to win, then maker's eye and then indexing will let you see the most cards, and maybe it is worth blowing all your credits to try and end the game right there.

That so much can go into the order in which you play two cards is why I like netrunner, because it is dependent on the game state, which can always be misread.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    so I've spent some time with leela patel, and she is really ridiculously strong early game, runs out of steam REAL BAD lategame, but it might not matter by that point because you probably only need to see one more agenda to win

To be honest though, she has no more late game disadvantage than any other standard Criminal save maybe Gabe (Iain being a specific exception). Her ability remains useful even into the endgame, at least somewhat, and moreso than Andy's single link. Just means you need to know when to back off the aggression and move into rig building/moneying up - which is always hard, of course, but important for her.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Just noticed Dedicated Technician Team. Time to try out Stronger Together again, this might actually be able to fix my economy.

• Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Thursday is the last night of our league, and I'm a few points out of first. You get one point for bringing a new ID, but I'm feeling very uninspired lately. Anyone have a solid deck that isn't:

Runners- Reina, Nasir, Leela
    Corps- HB:EtF, Nisei, Weyland core, Blue Sun

"Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    Oh, hey, The Source is off the boat. Expected to be in stores the week of the 18'th.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Thursday is the last night of our league, and I'm a few points out of first. You get one point for bringing a new ID, but I'm feeling very uninspired lately. Anyone have a solid deck that isn't:

Noble Tax

NBN: The World is Yours* (Future Proof)

Agenda (10)
    2x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
    2x License Acquisition (All That Remains)
    3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
    3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (3)
    3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)

Upgrade (3)
    3x Midway Station Grid (Upstalk)

Operation (11)
    3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
    2x Lag Time (The Spaces Between)
    3x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)
    3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (6)
    3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) •••
    3x Galahad (Upstalk) •••

Code Gate (8)
    3x Merlin (All That Remains) •••
    3x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)
    2x Tollbooth (Core Set)

Sentry (3)
    3x Lancelot (First Contact) •••

12 influence spent (max 12)
    18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
    44 cards (min 40)
    Cards up to All That Remains

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

Haven't had a chance to run it around yet, might not have the economy set. If you have multiple cores, consider swapping the LAs for another Astro.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    TheMadjai wrote: »

I'm obviously partial to this non-PPVP Kate decklists (probably can lose a Scavenge for a Plascrete), very similar to my Worlds deck.
    Lady KateShop

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (23)
    3x Diesel (Core Set)
    3x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••• •
    2x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••
    3x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow)
    3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
    3x Stimhack (Core Set) •••
    3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
    3x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
    1x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
    3x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
    3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (3)
    3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)

Icebreaker (6)
    2x Cerberus "Lady" H1 (All That Remains)
    1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
    2x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
    1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (6)
    3x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
    3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15)
    45 cards (min 45)
    Cards up to All That Remains

Oh, and SamRS played an interesting Grail Ice/Midway Station NEH deck. No Biotic Labor, just 9 Grail ice, 3 Architect and 2 Eli. I saw it on the Stimhack stream last night, it was pretty cool since you can flatline even if they have a Sentry breaker (they hit a Galahad and you reveal 2 Merlin).

grungebox on
  • Options
    the advent of the source means that soon the time will be ripe for Herpetology

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a fun and effective Noise deck that only includes cards up to Honor and Profit? It's doesn't need to be tournament competitive or anything, just for play with friends.

I'd been playing an Anatomy of an Anarch style Reina for a while, but I got really bored of it living or dying based upon whether I found Account Siphons or if they decided to include tag punishment. I've haven't had much luck finding an alternative with Reina; I mostly tried Knights and econ drain with Rooks and such, but it's far less effective without Joshua B's and AS's. I'm been wanting to try some Noise, but I don't have Cache and the other nice things that have come in recent datapacks; I end up with something very similar to Core Noise. Is it just an exercise in frustration in a post-Jackson Howard world?

Endaro on
  • Options
    In my experience with Noise (which has been quite a lot lately) some of the newer cards like Cache and David are what really allows him to work well in the current meta. Core Noise compared to Cache, etc, Noise has basically been like night and day.

I would at least recommend picking up the Datapack with Cache in it, if you're able to. It really does make a big difference.

If you can't get the datapack, then I'd probably still recommend doing Aesops/Wyldside. Just add in stuff like Codebusting, Daily Casts and the like to act as the econ, and use Knights and the static breakers as your breaker suite. One of our top players here played that for a considerable portion of last year and did really well, but he knew the deck super super well. It may well take a good bit of practice with it to get it to work as smoothly as you'd like.

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a fun and effective Noise deck that only includes cards up to Honor and Profit? It's doesn't need to be tournament competitive or anything, just for play with friends.

I'd been playing an Anatomy of an Anarch style Reina for a while, but I got really bored of it living or dying based upon whether I found Account Siphons or if they decided to include tag punishment. I've haven't had much luck finding an alternative with Reina; I mostly tried Knights and econ drain with Rooks and such, but it's far less effective without Joshua B's and AS's. I'm been wanting to try some Noise, but I don't have Cache and the other nice things that have come in recent datapacks; I end up with something very similar to Core Noise. Is it just an exercise in frustration in a post-Jackson Howard world?

Playing Noise without Cache is like driving a car with no gas; just pray you never have to go up hill. Also, I'd be interested to see your Tag-Me Reina. It's one of my favorite decks, I'd like to see how it differs from yours.

• Options
    Aahhhhhh I'm going to go ro my first netrunner tournament this weekend.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

• Options
    Best of luck.

I'm hosting a tournament in just a few days, myself.

Then I'm hosting a draft in January and league in February.

... I had to do something to kickstart the local community.

This discussion has been closed.