As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RPGs] How does one volunteer/set up to run games for Tabletop?

ChromaChroma Registered User new member
Hi, long time reader, first time poster.

I'm actually moving to Boston in January and think PAX East could be a great way to meet other rpgers. I've run many indie game (Apocalypse World, DREAD, tremulus, Urban Shadows, Lacuna, etc) at other tournaments here in the Great White North and was wonder how, or even if, it was done for PAX East.

Are there scheduled rpg events, open gaming, both, neither, or what? Does one need a pass first and then set things up, volunteer and get a pass if you schedule enough hours, or some other process?

Hope to hear from someone with the know-how!

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There is open tabletop gaming and some scheduled events run by exhibitors. For what you want to do, it sounds like your best bet would be to come as an attendee, plop yourself down on a table and seek people to join you.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    yea, anything organized is mostly done by exhibitors, and I'm not so sure how it tends to works for RPGs, but for board games it tends to be they pick a random game off their shelf and demo it. Otherwise the the way things tend to work at table top is you wave a game around and get people to join you. or you can try to organize something ahead of time by using something like the forums here or the twitter looking for people tags. There isn't anything where you can volunteer to run a game and PAX will set it up for you if that's what you are thinking. I can't say I play RPGs, but I don't recall seeing much more than that going on. The last two years the final game for the Saturday night table top showdown was an RPG. I got to play Dread that way which convinced me it is possible for me to like RPGs. Yay Jenga with a storyline. If you are going to run Dread, I might be interested if the timing works out.