As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need to replace case fans, 120mm no clue what to do/get help appreciated

RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
My 2 case fans are on the way out, either you can hear a rattle inside, or they go into a groan kinda noise.. They are 2 120mm Apevia fans (side one is an LED blue style, back one is a clear) they came with the case back in 2007/8?
-Apevia XJupiter Jr G case-

Not really sure what to replace them with that's not pricey, cools good, and isn't noticeably loud, I know just about nothing about case fans. and If I can find something at Bestbuy or am I going to have to order them off amazon or something else.

steam_sig.png
PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
Rubycat on

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209050

Padded corners for less vibration, lower RPM but still move plenty of air. Also includes a switch so you can set them at 600 or 1000 RPM.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The reviews on its air flow are kinda scary, sounds like it doesn't really move much air at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Try the Computer Build Thread then, people there might have other recommendations.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Fractal R2 $10 each

Corsair AF120 $15 each or $30 for 2-pack. Comes in Quiet or High Performance edition

Noctua NF-F12 $28 each

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    A little late to the party here, but I'm planning on ordering some AF / SP 120's for my own PC. I think they are a good value proposition.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Well this is a thing, The motherboard has a single sysfan1 4pin slot (not being used right now), and the fan controller in the front that's part of the case is all hooked up by daisychaining the two current fans on 4pin Molex splitters that are part of these fans to a 4pin molex that is split to the fan controller knob off the psu.

this sure is a case

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Rubycat wrote: »
    Well this is a thing, The motherboard has a single sysfan1 4pin slot (not being used right now), and the fan controller in the front that's part of the case is all hooked up by daisychaining the two current fans on 4pin Molex splitters that are part of these fans to a 4pin molex that is split to the fan controller knob off the psu.

this sure is a case

Not that unusual. Motherboards cannot be relied on to have lots of fan headers and they don't really take much out of a molex daisy chain power-wise.

• Options
    Yeah, you can put a ton of fans on one molex header. A fan uses something like 0.3 amps.

steam_sig.png