As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

!spoO .daerhT scimocbeW sdrawkcaB ehT

19495969798100»

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well I just don't think it needs to be an absolute, or that censorship is always bad. I mean it's largely because there aren't two different words for what you're describing and what I'm describing, there's just the one word. Censorship is about restricting access based on moral arguments/offense/etc. It doesn't have to be an absolute restriction of everyone. Self-censorship, not opposed from the outside is a thing.

There isn't a different word for "Government/State authority restricting all access to art and information based on morality or offensiveness" and "Lesser public or private authority restricting access to art and information based on morality and offensiveness" When a company restricts their own employees from swearing on the job, its censorship. What other word would you use to describe that?

Like there might be other words to describe that situation, but not the thing that censorship is, but described at different scales or levels. Censorship of a whole society, and censorship of a single store are both censorship, from different sources, on a different scale. There aren't different words for that exact same thing with censorship as the most extreme kind and other words meaning more mild variants of it.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well it depends what you mean by snuff film, there are certainly numerous online videos of Cartel type gentlemen doing extremely violent things to people

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    I like that we're page 100'ing and talking about snuff films.

This has been an excellent webcomic thread.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Don't you fucking judge me

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I was meaning films where people are killed that are specifically made to be sold to people.

This discussion has been closed.