As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So, LIFE! (the new tv show)

• NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I liked the first episode, and I am eagerly awaiting getting home to watch Episode 2.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh.. i just realized..... was that our Mrs. Reynolds ?

oh yes it was.....

I think the former partner is a part of the cover /frame up.... and he fully expected the shit to hit the fan in the garage... the lure to the party.. claiming the wife had something for him... locked door... he even pulled a gun!

One of the coolest ending scenes though.... the zen talk on vengance while shooting your old gun.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think I have a bit of a thing for Lt. Davis.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Adrenaline wrote: »

She reminds me of Jennifer Lopez in Out of Sight

Senjutsu on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

She reminds me of Jennifer Lopez in Out of Sight

Definitely not as sexy, though.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I dunno, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

Senjutsu on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    The only thing I was pissed about last night's show was the scene with his old partner's wife.

I wish it would have went like this:
    "No one would ride with my husband for 4 years."
    "That sucks. I spent 12 years in jail for a crime I didn't commit. I think I win."

But her point was that yes, he was falsely imprisoned, but he was also compensated. Her family was put through hell, and they got nothing for it. I'm not saying she's right, but I do understand how she was viewing it.

Well, we don't know if the husband stood up for him or just left him twisting in the wind. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

tallgeeze on
    edited October 2007
    According to the 'interviews', and the fact that the former partner is on the 'evidence wall'... I would say he is involved in the framing.

Especially since Major Winters thought something was going down in that garage...

I think the partner is just trying to get all buddy buddy with Charlie to either find out what he knows, or to get out of the upcoming shit storm.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    edited October 2007
    haha, I just realized that the main character's name is Charlie. Since everyone he meets says, "Hey, are you that guy?" I just call him "that guy".

tallgeeze on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think we can all agree if this show makes season two they need to add Ron Livingston as his partner.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007
    Ok so I watched through the most recent episode. His partners wife is a complete bitch who can't let things go. I like how they don't put him out there as super intelligent, more of an observer (take the photograph thing, I was thinking something similar, but I like how he had to spread them out all over).

The show is definately growing on me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I agree, Preacher. It's not that he's super intelligent, it's just that he's managed to find a new way of looking at things that's helped him handle a) his ongoing issues from the case, b) function well as a detective.

I'm slightly curious on one point. At no stage is it mentioned that he was a detective beforehand, and no one has even implied that his partner got demoted. There has been no indication that he is a rookie detective or that he has recently taken a detective's exam.

So the question is, was he actually a detective beforehand? Or did he become one after the reversal of his conviction?

devoir on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    He became one after. I assume he worked it into his settlement and I'm sure he had to take the test.

Hoz on
    edited October 2007
    Not that I don't believe you, but what's your stance based on?

devoir on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Not that I don't believe you, but what's your stance based on?

The fact that in the first ep, they said a few times that he's a detective because of the settlement.

That said, I have a feeling he qualified before he was jailed, since that's the sort of thing that they can't really waive, especially considering the consent decree.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited October 2007
    I totally missed any mention of him being a detective because of the settlement.

devoir on
    edited October 2007
    The first tests were negative for Charlie's DNA. The path to exoneration looked clear. Along with his Exoneration Plea, Constance had filed suit against the Los Angeles Police Department and the City of Los Angeles. They were both more than happy to pay cash in order to get the exoneration put behind them. But Charlie wanted more than cash; Charlie wanted his badge and gun back. He would have been a detective by now, so Constance got that for him as well.

Just in case anyone else was curious. That's from the official NBC site, but a lot of other websites are running with text that states that he was a Detective beforehand.

devoir on
    edited October 2007
    I got the impression that he was a beat cop when going to jail. Especially in the last episode when they ask the former partner how he felt having Crews as his superior now.

Crews came on as the most junipr deective.. I would imagine that he still would have had to pass the detective exam & requirements, settlement or not, but that he was allowed to was part of the settlement.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Yeah with his partner being the superior he obviously is the lowest grade (especially considering that she seesms to have been busted down because of her problems). I think at this point the partner isn't even necessary. It's not that shes a bad actress (though she does seem to play a pretty stereotypical bad girl character), she just not as interesting in the shows dynamic and takes away from Crews. I hope they either integrate her better or drop her all together.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KainnechKainnech Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Interesting show, I think if it didn't have the re-occurring sub plot of him investigating the crime he was charged with it would be alot worse. I agree the no knowledge with current tech can be a little old, I mean its not like he was transported from the 1800's. Granted I've never been to prison for 11 years but you would think he would know what portable music players and cell phones were.

Kainnech on
    edited October 2007
    That only really popped up in the first episode, and I could see him being out of touch with technology. He was in jail for 12 years during which a lot of new technologies popped up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007
    I think it was a small detail in the first episode to try and ram home the impact that being in jail for 12 years (and solitary for a significant portion of it) has on someone's understanding of the everyday world that we live in.

devoir on
    edited October 2007
    Definately, I like the way Lewis plays Crews, even when he's sexing up the womens he seems disconnected.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007
    Dude gets so much tail.

"Hai! I'm Gina and she's Tina!"

Jeeeez.

devoir on
    edited October 2007
    He's rich, he's Damian Lewis.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007
    "Yeah I don't want that, the man will track me with that."

"Crews, you are the man."

"Oh, yeah. I am the man."

<3

Also, does Crews remind anyone else of Arthur Leigh Allen? Had all the circumstantial evidence pointing to the fact that he was the Zodiac killer, but was let off the hook by things like DNA and handwriting mismatches. Crews's story is obviously different and he's not some creepy fat dude but they're similar.

Adrenaline on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This show's had excellent dialogue so far, this episode included. A lot of great lines tonight:
    "Is someone dead?"

"Lots of people are dead. Eventually everybody."

----

"Are you really zen?"

"I'm zen-ish."

And that guy who repeated everything the tatooed dude said was very amusing.

There were some pretty big continuity problems, though:
    The bandage on the husband's head was on the opposite side during one shot in his second last scene. And when Charlie "pushed" the Samoan guy into the interrogation room table, he uses two hands the first time we see it, but he only uses one in the footage his boss looks at.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love the new ride.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I love the new ride.

He's not attached to it.

Senjutsu on
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I love the new ride.

He's not attached to it.

And yet again, he pulls over his ex's new husband.

I know it's a reoccuring cheesy gag.

And I can never get enough.

AngelHedgie on
    edited October 2007
    That interrogations was pretty classic.

"...we even found a book on bondage!"

"That's OF HUMAN BONDAGE"

*Charlie makes lascivious with the eyebrows*

Senjutsu on
    edited October 2007
    I didn't get what was going on at the end with the lawyer woman, I missed part of it and when I came back in she was all over Charlie.

Adrenaline on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    first ep didn't quite grab me, but the second was awesome. "Zen-ish", heh.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I didn't get what was going on at the end with the lawyer woman, I missed part of it and when I came back in she was all over Charlie.

She's in love with him, but she's married, and Charlie knows what it's like to have someone tear a marriage apart, so he refuses to be "the other man".

AngelHedgie on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This last episode was great.

This is easily my new favorite show.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    And NBC ordered more scripts so hopefully it gets picked up for a second season! I liked the fence bit in the third episode, he didn't have to say much, just the look of it was enough. It wasn't entirely subtle, but I am glad they have Crews more of a subdued kind of guy, he doesn't overtalk a situation.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007
    So Ron Livingstons younger brother showed up in this episode, come on get the man himself to be Crew's partner it would be awesome!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007
    Okay, conspiracy wall time:
    I think it's safe to say that Rachel (the daughter of Charlie's slain partner) is one of the linchpins in the case. The lengths that Ames went to cover up her presence in the house (falsifying reports, stealing her Child Services jacket) makes it clear that whoever was behind this wanted her to just disappear, because she could reveal the real killer. The one thing of note is that her art therapy drawings have given Charlie a lead.
    It's also clear that Ames is cracking. Somehow, I get the feeling that he was a good cop forced to do a great evil, and the weight is sitting heavy on him. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he winds up dead in a couple of episodes.
    Also, the fact that the guard that attacked Charlie in prison was paid to do so is interesting indeed, as is the fact that after he disclosed this, he suddenly went "poof"...

AngelHedgie on
    edited October 2007
    I missed
    The part about the guard who was paid to attack charlie? And Ames is definately cracking, seeing charlie he just grabbed a bottle and not his gun. He definately seems like a good man who had to do a horrible thing to someone he knew was innocent. Did the picture at the end look like charlies old partner to anyone else? Also I think Charlies lawyer is going to end up dead from one of her new clients and this could potentially be linked to charlie.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007
    I like how in the latest episode they show you he did land Tina and Gina in the opening scene.

It wasn't a pressing issue in my mind, but it's good to know he is tagging all the ass he comes across.

tallgeeze on