As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Game Awards, The Playstation Experience and the end of the year hype train

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Heavy Rain was my GOTY

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    maybe there were QTEs in batman but I didn't realize it

Kind of. I'm playing through Arkham Origins right now. I've been saving it for this time of the year. There's a pretty great fight with Deathstroke early on that is essentially a QTE, the Arkham style combat and a fighting game all at the same time.

Here's a link to the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Yeah the QTE's in the Deathstroke fight worked really well because it was just the same button you'd use to do that to a normal enemy, but with a fancy cutscene around it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    FYI GG, Infamous First Light is going to be free next month as part of PS+

Oh man
    Thanks for telling me before I paid for it

First Lights' a lot of fun

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Kind of. I'm playing through Arkham Origins right now. I've been saving it for this time of the year. There's a pretty great fight with Deathstroke early on that is essentially a QTE, the Arkham style combat and a fighting game all at the same time.

Yeah the QTE's in the Deathstroke fight worked really well because it was just the same button you'd use to do that to a normal enemy, but with a fancy cutscene around it.

anecdotally speaking i've noticed those tend to be the most well-received QTEs, as long as the timing isn't horseshit (like bayonetta 1's jump QTEs)

liEt3nH.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I didn't think I'd like need for speed but hey it is actually pretty good.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    You know?

I think I'd be okay if no new Persona 5 footage was released until it came out.

Just force everyone to go into it cold.

I mean, I don't really need to know anything about it before I buy it, because I'm already going to buy it.

IKknkhU.gif
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    This No Man's Sky concert has been going on foreeever and every few numbers the lead guy will grab a microphone and say something that makes me think they're done and then they keep on playing and is this prog-rock?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    This No Man's Sky concert has been going on foreeever and every few numbers the lead guy will grab a microphone and say something that makes me think they're done and then they keep on playing and is this prog-rock?

wikipedia calls it: Instrumental rock, post-rock, math rock, experimental rock, electronic

I'm digging it

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    THEY LEFT THE STAGE!

THEY LEFT THE STAGE AND CAME BACK!

THEY'RE STILL PLAYING!

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    You know what game had great QTE's? D4. Especially if you have a Kinect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmGXh00huoo

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited December 2014
    David_T wrote: »
    THEY LEFT THE STAGE!

THEY LEFT THE STAGE AND CAME BACK!

THEY'RE STILL PLAYING!

that's how concert encores tend to go yes

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

anecdotally speaking i've noticed those tend to be the most well-received QTEs, as long as the timing isn't horseshit (like bayonetta 1's jump QTEs)

I liked Bayonetta, but I will always dislike those QTEs.

I feel like they could have been clearer about when they said "we can only show you a small part now but come back tonight and Under No Man's Sky, we can show you a whole bunch more", they actually meant "it's a concert with some pictures of planets from the game behind them".

euj90n71sojo.png
    yeah they definitely teased it as a no mans sky event but it was full on concert. All the bits of background game visuals were pulled from the previous trailers

Steam ID
    And for what it was, it was fine, but... I was waiting for them to get off stage so they could get on with showing the game. I feel like that might have played into my perception of the event. Not, you know, favorably.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    hey remember when they announced that a full HD remaster of Day of the Tentacle is coming and that that's actually real and I didn't dream it

6F32U1X.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    the one bummer to that is that I've never played Maniac Mansion either

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

The Witness should be coming up any minute

6F32U1X.png
    In the end, I think perhaps the Persona 5 none-news was more frustrating than the FFVII troll announcement.

I was led on for several days that we were going to see something new with Persona 5. Where all those tweets showing a TV and saying how awesome it looked a lie? What about the big robot poster?

I got double-trolled by the two biggest RPGs I was looking forward to and I'm pretty bitter by it.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait so was the FFVII announcement a joke or what

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Nobody said the robot poster was Persona related

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait so was the FFVII announcement a joke or what

no, but for some reason people keep expecting them to actually do a full remake and instead they announced a PS4 port of the original PC version

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    has square ever even hinted at remaking FFVII or have the fans just deluded themselves into thinking it's inevitable?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    has square ever even hinted at remaking FFVII or have the fans just deluded themselves into thinking it's inevitable?

The latter

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    man why won't they show me more marketing materials for video games!!

i'm ticked!!!!!!!

AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Nobody said the robot poster was Persona related

It was largely speculated to be, considering the resemblance in artstyle.

Even if it's not, there was still stuff like this:

p8R8mJt.png

They have acknowledged several times over the years that they are aware that people want it.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    People acknowledge The last guardian all the time as well

Look how thats going

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    they also said we can't remake it stop asking us to do it

More importantly

Why do you want a FF7 Remake?

Why not just play the old one rather than buy it again and again.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Of course they could remake it.

And it would have a pretty good chance of making money.

Sony/Atlus are not responsible for people speculating that a poster looks like it might be from a certain game.

I mean I wouldn't object to a Soul Reaver Remake but like

I own the original already!

they also said we can't remake it stop asking us to do it

Not really.
    People acknowledge The last guardian all the time as well

Look how thats going

To be fair, Sony has insisted more than a few times that it's not cancelled, and still continue to do so.

I'm not sure if they're just giving false hope, which would be worse than what Square's doing in hindsight.

Uriel wrote: »
    More importantly

The same reason someone would want any remake?

To have a version with modern graphics and sound?

A new translation that said game could really benefit from?

I should really hook up my PS2 and play Soul Reaver.

Wish I had a capture card I would stream it.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    yes really, they lost all the assets and it's not worth remaking. square has said this multiple times

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    They could remake it, but they would just turn it into some extension of Final Fantasy 14 + the voice actor for Tidus as Sephiroth.

Uriel wrote: »
    More importantly

The same reason someone would want any remake?

To have a version with modern graphics and sound?

A new translation that said game could really benefit from?

Fair enough on the translation but

What exactly is wrong with the old art and sound?

yes really, they lost all the assets and it's not worth remaking. square has said this multiple times

I never got this excuse.

The original used pre-rendered backgrounds and the FMVs are super antiquated. What assets exist in that game that would theoretically make remaking the game easier?

I would bet that a full remake using new assets would have a better chance of being profitable than a brand new single-player Final Fantasy at this point.

This discussion has been closed.