As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Game Awards, The Playstation Experience and the end of the year hype train

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Square Enix is currently focusing all its recources on Versus

Considering how it worked out last time they tried to develop multiple games at once I dont see how anyone expected them to start a remake as well

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    yes really, they lost all the assets and it's not worth remaking. square has said this multiple times

I never got this excuse.

The original used pre-rendered backgrounds and the FMVs are super antiquated. What assets exist in that game that would theoretically make remaking the game easier?

It might not just be in game assets

They might have to redo all the concept work and such.

Plus why remake it when fans just keep buying the original

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Why restart Firefly when we keep making royalties off these DVDs that some people buy multiple times.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    A "remake" of FFVII is largely synonymous with developing a whole new game.

Current Square-Enix isn't exactly sitting on the funding for that. "XV" has been in development forever and they had to milk two cheap sequels out of XIII.

august on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    More importantly

Why do you want a FF7 Remake?

Why not just play the old one rather than buy it again and again.

The same reason someone would want any remake?

To have a version with modern graphics and sound?

A new translation that said game could really benefit from?

Fair enough on the translation but

What exactly is wrong with the old art and sound?

It's not about something being wrong with it, it's about wanting to see one of your favorite games done with modern tech.

I would love to see those characters and that world in much more detail. I would love to actually hear them speak. I would love to hear those classic musical themes in full orchestration.

Also FF7 looks like ass, now. It doesn't hold up graphically at all.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    A "remake" of FFVII is largely synonymous with developing a whole new game.

Current Square-Enix isn't exactly sitting on the funding for that. "XV" has been in development forever and they had to milk two cheap sequels out of XII.

The remake announcement would have been double good news, then, since it also meant FFXV was close to being finished.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Actually remaking it would take money and time. Considering that people keep buying the port, why on earth would Square want to cut into their profit margin for an audience that probably wouldn't be substantially bigger?

Square Enix is currently focusing all its recources on Versus

Considering how it worked out last time they tried to develop multiple games at once I dont see how anyone expected them to start a remake as well

This makes sense.

I just find it weird that people seem so adamant about saying it would never happen ever.

It absolutely could, and it's something Square absolutely could make money on.

More importantly

It's not about something being wrong with it, it's about wanting to see one of your favorite games done with modern tech.

I would love to see those characters and that world in much more detail. I would love to actually hear them speak. I would love to hear those classic musical themes in full orchestration.

I actually don't mind it much

Of all the problems I have with FF7 I think the graphics hold up fine.

But I like low poly models and low res textures, it gives me warm fuzzy feelings.

I understand the desire though, just not the disappointment.

More importantly

But I like low poly models and low res textures, it gives me warm fuzzy feelings.

The simple answer is that the setting they created would look conceivably incredible on modern tech. The world that game created was and still is one of the most imaginative settings ever put in a videogame.

Advent Children aside, look at any good fan interpretation as proof: http://kotaku.com/artist-recreates-memorable-moments-of-final-fantasy-vii-1664077827

If I'm upset with Square for anything it is Canceling Dead Sun

if only because a proper reboot to that series would be legit exciting to me.

The only thing more exciting would be wrapping up the story they never finished but I gotta be realistic about that.

It was also be really great if this was finally purged from existence.

That PS4 Share Button is going to get a lot of work.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    if they ever do remake it I hope they make all the summons and shit even longer and more elaborate and keep them unskippable

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    What I really want a remake/port of is Persona 4 Golden for the PS3/4. Heard so much about that game that really makes me want to check it out but I'm not willing to buy a Vita for it.

A definitive version of Persona 3 would also be nice.

Also I had been saying this for ages, even though the majority of fans disagree, but.

Just make a damn sequel. Now you got a new game and a reason to remake that world.

I'm totally okay fighting this guy as a new villain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAaJlWzQxLU

It ain't Sephiroth but whatever, it's a good enough excuse.

More importantly

The simple answer is that the setting they created would look conceivably incredible on modern tech. The world that game created was and still is one of the most imaginative settings ever put in a videogame.

Advent Children aside, look at any good fan interpretation as proof: http://kotaku.com/artist-recreates-memorable-moments-of-final-fantasy-vii-1664077827

Any setting would look incredible on modern tech. Also I don't particularly agree on the second point, I found FF7 kind of trite and bland.

I actually remember enjoying Advent Children though

that reminds me, I really liked Spirits Within, I doubt that holds up though.

Having seen final fantasy sequals

You do not want another final fantasy sequal

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    if they ever do remake it I hope they make all the summons and shit even longer and more elaborate and keep them unskippable

Maybe just make the whole game a long and elaborate unskippable QTE

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Actually remaking it would take money and time. Considering that people keep buying the port, why on earth would Square want to cut into their profit margin for an audience that probably wouldn't be substantially bigger?

i should just emptyquote this forever, because the argument won't get much more succinct and clear than this

More importantly

The reason that interpretation looks interesting is because it doesn't look like generic anime bullshit.

For some reason I don't see Square making a Final Fantasy game that doesn't look like generic anime bullshit.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Speaking of Japanese developers in dire straits

I really wanna know how bad a way Capcom is in

I'm hearing Sony is at least in part funding Street Fighter 5, and may actually be contributing the majority of its budget

6F32U1X.png

Subjective post here, but the FFVII sequels (and prequels) have done alright by me. If they keep that same care into any new story they want to come up with, I would be totally fine with it.

Even Dirge of Cerberus was a decent enough rental just to watch Vincent shoot people for a couple of hours.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    the one bummer to that is that I've never played Maniac Mansion either

The entire game of Maniac Mansion was playable inside the original Day of the Tentacle.
    What if they remade Maniac Mansion up to the original Day of the Tentacle style and included that inside the remake?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    I wasnt worried about Capcom till I noticed Street Fighter 5 is almost entirely uprezzed assets

Usually they remake everything from scratch for the next series of a game

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Yeah I was having the same thought... if you're Capcom and you can't afford to make the next Street Fighter game then maybe it's time to hang it up.

Subjective post here, but the FFVII sequels (and prequels) have done alright by me. If they keep that same care into any new story they want to come up with, I would be totally fine with it.

Even Dirge of Cerberus was a decent enough rental just to watch Vincent shoot people for a couple of hours.

The last sequal was 13-2 and 13-3

Aka instead of talking about the game here is a explanation of how we gave players of boob physics

You

Do

Not

Want

A

Sequal

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'm hearing Sony is at least in part funding Street Fighter 5, and may actually be contributing the majority of its budget

I remember reading something that Capcom wasn't planning to make SFV until another decade or so, so this announcement was a surprise for me.

august wrote: »
    Yeah I was having the same thought... if you're Capcom and you can't afford to make the next Street Fighter game then maybe it's time to hang it up.

They are even reusing the same ink splash effects

its street fighter 4.5

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg

they are funding enough of it to make it so that it will never come out on Xbox, same deal Microsoft made with Dead Rising 3.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    Hullis wrote: »

i should just emptyquote this forever, because the argument won't get much more succinct and clear than this

Like I said, I don't think the money and time will be any less worth the money and time any of their other non-MMO games will take.

Like I honestly think a 7 remake would bring in more profit than 13 did or 15 will. And they would probably be able to do like they did with 13 and use the assets for more games.

LockedOnTarget on

The last sequal was 13-2 and 13-3

Aka instead of talking about the game here is a explanation of how we gave players of boob physics

You

Do

Not

Want

A

Sequal

I

Do

Not

Want

A

Sequel

By

Motomu Toriyama

Yeah I don't even play SF games and seeing how much it looked like 4 really disappointed me because I love watching it and the different successions of art styles in each game really had me excited to see 5.

X-2 and XIII-2 were good games.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Advent Children is a bad movie

But it is a pitch-perfect sequel to Final Fantasy 7

6F32U1X.png

sure they were

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Advent Children is a bad movie

But it is a pitch-perfect sequel to Final Fantasy 7

maybe that is because FF7 isn't a good game.

Hullis wrote: »

Like I said, I don't think the money and time will be any less worth the money and time any of their other non-MMO games will take.

Like I honestly think a 7 remake would bring in more profit than 13 did or 15 will. And they would probably be able to do like they did with 13 and use the assets for more games.

Anecdotal here, but I was once told that Square wanted to remake FFVII on the PSP using Crisis Core's assets, but held off as they were pressured by fans to make the most visually impressive remake they could (ie on the PS3).

So I do blame the fans partly for not having a remake; I'd be totally find with a lower budget handheld remake or something. At this point I'd be content with a new translation and new FMVs.

@Stilts‌

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Nine was the only good mainline final fantasy on the PS1

This discussion has been closed.