As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Game Awards, The Playstation Experience and the end of the year hype train

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I thought the Skyrails in Bioshock Infinite made for some really fun arenas. And the zero-g sections of Dead Space 2 were super neat.

All my favorite franchises are dead!

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Valve is never going to make another single-player campaign again, and that's such a bummer because they are probably the best level designers in all of games

I think they WERE, absolutely

bungie got up there pretttty fast

I always though bungie levels were a giant boring mess.

Honestly Valve levels until Portal weren't great either.

silent cartographer, son

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Valve is never going to make another single-player campaign again, and that's such a bummer because they are probably the best level designers in all of games

I think they WERE, absolutely

bungie got up there pretttty fast

I always though bungie levels were a giant boring mess.

Honestly Valve levels until Portal weren't great either.

silent cartographer, son

It's honestly more their art direction I dislike more than their level design.

The openness and simple lines and angles work really well with their physics.

But it all looks so boring, empty and repetitive.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It saddens me how Jaffe fell after God of War

He had that Calling All Cars PSN game, and it was shit

Then he tried to revive Twisted Metal, and it didn't work

And now this

I wish he'd focus on something single-player and substantial because multiplayer hasn't been doing so hot for him

• Options
    edited December 2014
    But then my favorite FPS levels are from Unreal Tournament 2k* and 3

And not the onslaught levels, really just the DM ones.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I like them, to be honest. Very clean. Not something I would want in every game, but it worked for what Halo was going for. Of course, then 4 turned into Tron 3 and took out all the interesting ship names and made Forerunners into weird catbaboon things and man fuck Halo 4.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    We need more games that look like PS2 games. And PS1 games.

It's the natural evolution of the current 16/32 bit indie game craze. People are going to start going "hey low poly stuff can be pretty sweet". And it all begins with Massive Chalice.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Nintendo - The eternal best level designers

And yet their newest Mario game is one where you have to design the levels.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    sprites work because they are different than 3d models. low res 3d models are just like what we have now except shitty

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    One that that makes me want to see a Half-Life 3 is that it's been 10 years since the original (and 7 years since the last episode) so I'm pretty interested to see what Valve would even make today, on modern hardware with like a decade of FPS evolution since the HL2 formula was established (and lets be real, the episodes didn't really evolve that formula much). Because I really doubt they just make another linear shooter shooter where you go from battle to unskippable in-game cinematic to battle to setpiece.

If they were into that, we'd probably have gotten Episode 3 by now.

I'm okay with that, if it is well done. Isn't that basically the new Wolfenstein? That was really well received, yeah? I still need to play it.

Well, to be fair, nobody was expecting anything out of Wolfenstein, so people were very pleasently surprised. Half-Life has the opposite problem; people are going to expect something more from it than basically a polished version of what everyone else is doing. Like I said, if Valve was interested in doing that, we'd probably have gotten Episode 3.

EDIT: I mean, I'm sure me and 3 gazillion other fanboys would devour anything with a Half-Life logo on it, even if it was just a retitled Diakatana, but given the money and talent at Valve, I don't think that's what they're going to want to do.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Valve will use HL3 to get people to use their next big thing. So when Valve comes out with a... I dunno? Video hosting website? Online bank? Search engine? Social network? then you need that thing to run HL3.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Valve will use HL3 to get people to use their next big thing. So when Valve comes out with a... I dunno? Video hosting website? Online bank? Search engine? Social network? then you need that thing to run HL3.

3c1.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    low poly stuff can actually look really cool hth

EObmlxu.png
    ferrari.jpg
    AsYWFlx.png
    f15_3d.jpg
    RqUXBdS.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

And yet their newest Mario game is one where you have to design the levels.
    I mean

That is its express purpose

It isn't like it is Mario 3D World 2: This Time You're the Level Designer

Mario Maker isnt a mainline Mario Game, it's a creation tool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If there was something akin to an Animal Crossing MMO, I'd be pretty excited for that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not really the low poly models that can make older 3D games look bad but the low res textures stretched over everything. That and the low resolution.

Low poly models at a high resolution with good textures, as shown above, can look beautiful.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Think about how good Splatoon looked already

And now remember that those level designers are making a full campaign with that weird-ass Squid/Paint traveling as a core mechanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXKQQmm9EE

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Even keeping that in mind, I can't get excited about Splatoon at all

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    "Secret Game" in 1o min.

• Options
    august wrote: »
    "Secret Game" in 1o min.

I have a feeling they just never updated the listing and it's Drawn to Death

or this

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You know

I might actually be down with Tearaway on the PS4

The art style is cool, I just hated all its gimmicky control shit

But it won't have any of that on PS4, outside of maybe touchpad stuff

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Aaaaand the secret game is Drawn to Death

FART

EDIT: Well now they're showing Shovel Knight, which...okay, at least this game seems really good, definitely will pick it up when it hits

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    PSN is down meanwhile

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    That stupid Lizard Squad or whatever is taking credit for it.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the secret game is the game they announced the day before huh

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    PSN is down meanwhile

Fucking God damn it all to hell.

I hope it isn't down long.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey just while we're talking about games

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/7/7349715/ralph-baer-father-of-video-games-dies-at-92
    The man largely credited as "the father of video games" has died at age 92, according to a report from Gamasutra. Ralph Baer, a German immigrant and inventor, created the very first home video game console in the late ‘60s. It was simply called the "Brown Box," and it later came to be known as the Magnavox Odyssey in 1972 after he licensed out the design.

The device set the footprint for home consoles to this date: a computer in a box that was manipulated with controllers and connected to a television. He also developed a "light gun" controller that was bundled with a shooting game. It is widely believed to be the first-ever video game peripheral. Later, he designed the Simon pattern-matching electronic toy that's still available today.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

It looks like a fun multiplayer-focused game that I feel is going to be ignored by almost every single person with a Wii U.

How have these people not been caught yet?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hey just while we're talking about games

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/7/7349715/ralph-baer-father-of-video-games-dies-at-92
    The man largely credited as "the father of video games" has died at age 92, according to a report from Gamasutra. Ralph Baer, a German immigrant and inventor, created the very first home video game console in the late ‘60s. It was simply called the "Brown Box," and it later came to be known as the Magnavox Odyssey in 1972 after he licensed out the design.

The device set the footprint for home consoles to this date: a computer in a box that was manipulated with controllers and connected to a television. He also developed a "light gun" controller that was bundled with a shooting game. It is widely believed to be the first-ever video game peripheral. Later, he designed the Simon pattern-matching electronic toy that's still available today.

A good friend of mine's grandfather designed the controller for the Odyssey! He has the patent in his desk at work.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

It looks like a fun multiplayer-focused game that I feel is going to be ignored by almost every single person with a Wii U.

They just DDoS, yeah? I just doubt anyone wants to waste time hunting down people doing something so mild and, really, harmless.

They represent a mild inconvenience at worst.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why anyone thinks a sequel to FF7 would be bad

I mean, sure, every single FF7 related spinoff has been a burning car crash but I'm sure the Square-Enix of today is capable of turning that shit around

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Along with probably thousands of dollars in damages, yeah

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options

Here's the final thing of Playstation Experience

Story Time with Shu Yoshida, Scott Rodhe, and Adam Boyes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

They just DDoS, yeah? I just doubt anyone wants to waste time hunting down people doing something so mild and, really, harmless.

They represent a mild inconvenience at worst.

They also made a bomb threat to an airliner.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    It's a total bummer to hear about Ralph Baer. That guy never got enough credit for creating an entire entertainment medium.

On a better note here's some more awesome low poly art:

biplane.png
    mario.png
    tf2_group.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Adam Boyes has no voice left.

It's just gone.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Adam Boyes has no voice left.

It's just gone.

I'm loving this licensing story! Also, I don't blame him. This was a huge event for him and Sony.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Do you think Lang has made him a GET FUCKED, BOYES t-shirt yet?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    You know

I might actually be down with Tearaway on the PS4

The art style is cool, I just hated all its gimmicky control shit

But it won't have any of that on PS4, outside of maybe touchpad stuff

I didn't think the controls were gimmicky and to me they added tons to the Game.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    PSN is down meanwhile

i have been playing destiny on ps3 for a few hours now, so

This discussion has been closed.