As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Game Awards, The Playstation Experience and the end of the year hype train

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh my god
    Infamous Second Son
    ORBITAL DROP

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Telling Shu Yoshida bad news was once known internally at Sony as Russian Shulette.

Now you know.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So here's what Kill Strain is
    Kill Strain plays like a blend of a MOBA like League of Legends and a twin-stick arcade shooter.

I'll assume at least half of you immediately no longer give a shit, so I'll spoiler the rest of it
    Kill Strain plays like a blend of a MOBA like League of Legends and a twin-stick arcade shooter. Two teams of five humans compete to gather resources — and rack up kills — while a third team of mutants battles both teams in an attempt to spread their infection and add humans to their mutant ranks.

Human teams can lose their players to the mutant side. When that happens, it's permanent. What starts as a 5v2v5 competition, over the course of a match, which runs between 20 and 30 minutes, changes to a 4v3v5 or 3v5v4 structure.

The humans in Kill Strain are ranged characters. They wield guns and flamethrowers and they can call in powerful exosuits, called a MEC, for more firepower and a different set of abilities. The mutants are melee characters. They hack and slash and leap.

Sony San Diego brought three of the game's characters to PlayStation Experience: Diesel, a human with a flamethrower and incendiary blasts who can dash, leaving a flame trail behind him; Gridlock, a mutant who can slash, leap and stun his enemies; and Sylvin, a nimble assassin with dual pistols, a flip dodge and a camouflage skill.

The two human teams compete for resources to boost their score, gain experience points and level up their team and base turrets. On the map that was playable at PSX, each team had a single resource point that dropped canisters. Players are tasked with picking up those canisters from the resource point, then delivering them to a central drop point. Humans can only deposit those resources if they have control of the drop point, however, injecting a bit of control point gameplay into Kill Strain's design.

The mutants are there to mess with the human's plans. They have a base of their own, which is surrounded by a surface called the Strain. The Strain acts as a means of base defense — humans can't walk on Strain without taking damage, unless they're in a protective MEC suit — and as a boost for mutants. When mutants are on Strain, they move faster and regenerate health. Strain also serves as Kill Strain's jungle equivalent; if a mutant is positioned on some Strain (and a human isn't) he's essentially invisible.

Kill Strain is designed "from the ground up as a free-to-play game which has a strong community participation and as little as possible paywalls," Hintze said.

"We know our economic model," he said. "People can play the game as long as they want for free. If they want to have an additional character, an additional skin, customization, then yes, we ask you to pay for that. But the core experience is there for you to play."

Sony San Diego is building Kill Strain to be accessible for the console player who might never have played a more established MOBA, but might appreciate the depth and strategy of the genre.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Uhhh why the heck would you lead with that game being a MOBA when instead you can say it is a 5v2v5 game with three sides and an infection mechanic that can bring people over to one side.

Calling it a MOBA makes it sound boring

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Uhhh why the heck would you lead with that game being a MOBA when instead you can say it is a 5v2v5 game with three sides and an infection mechanic that can bring people over to one side.

Calling it a MOBA probably makes a lot more money

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    that sounds like a balancing nightmare

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Does it? Or do people just think that?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Isn't League of Legends literally the most played online game in the world

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yes, by quite a large margin

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

It's weird that I see it constantly thrown around for FFVII, but I never see "You need to accept that Half-Life 2 was shit and Half-Life 3 will never happen," for example

clearly we don't talk enough.

• Options

But the question is does that translate into better sales for other games that slap the MOBA title on themselves? Or is everyone just going to keep playing League and Dota (and maybe HotS) while everyone else that jumps onto the bandwagon goes the way of everyone who tried to jump on the MMO bandwagon?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    it translates into good initial sales, which is what companies are always banking on

'if we get them in early, we can keep them with more micros/content!'

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I like Infamous Second Son a lot so far, and I really love Delsin as a protagonist
    He's funny and edgy and righteously angry without being a parody of a rebellious young man, he's charming and compassionate and a bit of a goof

But it's so weird that instead of writing him as a member of a real tribe they just make one up
    What risk are they dodging by doing that? If they wanted to create a hero with a strong connection to Seattle in general and its native people specifically, why connect him with people who don't exist?

It's just such a weird misstep

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I like Infamous Second Son a lot so far, and I really love Delsin as a protagonist
    He's funny and edgy and righteously angry without being a parody of a rebellious young man, he's charming and compassionate and a bit of a goof

But it's so weird that instead of writing him as a member of a real tribe they just make one up
    What risk are they dodging by doing that? If they wanted to create a hero with a strong connection to Seattle in general and its native people specifically, why connect him with people who don't exist?

It's just such a weird misstep

I imagine it's so (ending spoilers)
    They could kill off the whole tribe in one of the endings without pissing off any particular tribe. Or at least, I think that was the idea. How effective that was is another discussion.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The punchline is that they spent the money to license the space needle because authenticity is very important to them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »
    PSN is down meanwhile

i have been playing destiny on ps3 for a few hours now, so

It was back up by 10pm ish, but it didn't effect people who didn't log out from PSN I guess?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    that makes...some sense? I was kinda in and out most of the night, destiny was still pretty active throughout

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

List of people watching shit on twitch right now
    LoL: 72.1k
    Hearthstone: 53.8k
    DoTA 2: 46.3k
    CS:GO: 18.5k
    WoW: 14.9k
    Evil Within: 6.2k
    Minecraft: 6.1k
    Destiny: 5.1k

I think MOBAs are doing ok

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I actually have no idea what MOBA means

Movable OBject .... something?

ehh

I like LoL but I stopped playing for a couple years and I suck now

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Multiplayer... Organized... Beatdown Association

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Multiple Otakus Binging Anime

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Multiple Orangutans Being Asparagus

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Right but the question is whether that implies strong support for mobas in general or for those two games specifically

There've been a buttload of Minecraft clones but I dont see space engineers on that list

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

The two MOBAs being streamed, though, are basically the old titans of the genre. It's not like a newer MOBA is on that list, which is why making a new entry into the MOBA genre is a risky move, plenty of new MOBAs have come and go with being little more than a blip on the radar while league and dota trudge on without even noticing.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Right but the question is whether that implies strong support for mobas in general or for those two games specifically

There've been a buttload of Minecraft clones but I dont see space engineers on that list
    I wouldnt call space engineers a minecraft clone

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    it translates into good initial sales, which is what companies are always banking on

'if we get them in early, we can keep them with more micros/content!'

That's not even true anymore. Dawngate didn't even make it out of beta and they refunded all the in-game purchases made up to that point.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Well yeah, that's the same as every other genre gold rush, dating back to the Mario clones of the late 80s. This always happens, everyone thinks they can get big money by copying the most popular thing of the hour, but 99.9% of them fail spectacularly, mostly because the the most popular thing of the hour hasn't gone anywhere and people don't see a reason to switch to another thing that's doing the same thing but probably not as well.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    TRV, where did you get those numbers?

genuine question, I want to see how some other games compare

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Twitch lists them on if you go to "browse games".

League of Legends
    109,466 viewers

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    83,989 viewers

Dota 2
    67,710 viewers

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
    41,065 viewers

80 Days
    34,807 viewers

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    22,050 viewers

ArmA III
    20,172 viewers

FIFA 15
    16,532 viewers
    Minecraft
    8,072 viewers

DayZ
    7,932 viewers

World of Tanks
    7,351 viewers

Destiny
    7,224 viewers

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
    5,105 viewers

The Crew
    4,826 viewers

Grand Theft Auto V
    4,379 viewers

Smite
    4,090 viewers

RuneScape
    4,051 viewers

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    3,560 viewers

Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
    3,065 viewers

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
    2,438 viewers

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
    2,256 viewers

Don't Starve
    2,183 viewers

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    2,101 viewers

Halo: The Master Chief Collection
    1,787 viewers

Infestation: Survivor Stories
    1,770 viewers

Heroes of the Storm
    1,717 viewers

Dragon Age: Inquisition
    1,671 viewers

Monster Hunter Frontier G
    1,373 viewers

Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicle
    1,246 viewers

Dark Souls
    1,176 viewers

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    1,108 viewers

Alan Wake
    1,013 viewers

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
    895 viewers

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix
    890 viewers

Path of Exile
    885 viewers

Ultra Street Fighter IV
    882 viewers

Tibia
    819 viewers

Magic: The Gathering
    792 viewers

Far Cry 4
    724 viewers

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    683 viewers

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Kings Quest looks bad and that makes me sad.

• Options
    Kings Quest looks bad and that makes me sad.

I think it looks pretty good

and hopefully it will be better than the actual King's Quest games

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The hardest thing they'll have to pull off in King's Quest is finding the right balance between classic cheap deaths, difficulty and "you didn't do this earlier now you're screwed" and modern games-not-hating-the-player. They can't go all the way either way if they want to make a great King's Quest game. Don't even know how they'd solve that. Free respawns if you die are obvious, but do you force the player not to progress unless they have everything they need to? Maybe some kind of mechanic where if you reach a stuck point the game lets you know, lets you reload at a point where you can fix it, and then fast-forwards you back to where you were once you've done what you needed to do "in the past"? It's tricky.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Honestly just make it like a Lucasarts game.

Cheap deaths and being able to break the game are awful gameplay mechanics and there's a reason they don't exist anymore.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I can wait as long as it takes for them to not give me a broken game.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

February quickly went from TOO MANY GAMES to well I guess I'm gonna get The Order

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TRV, where did you get those numbers?

genuine question, I want to see how some other games compare

Hit browse on the twitch home page and it lists games by number of viewers and has the total right under the thumbnail picture for the game

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I actually have no idea what MOBA means

Movable OBject .... something?

ehh

I like LoL but I stopped playing for a couple years and I suck now

I always thought it had something to do with Mobile.

Like....MObile BAttle.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I only want the new KQ game to have A POISONOUS SNAKE!!

This discussion has been closed.