As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should we turn the snow off?

TubeTube Registered User admin
Some people are reporting problems with the falling snow in our winter theme. We don't have the resources to add a toggle, but we can turn it off. YOU DECIDE.

Tube on

Should we turn the snow off? 582 votes

Yes! Turn the snow off! I have a garbage computer from the toilet store!
27%
augustRothgarrTheKoolEagleSeriouslySpectral SwallowMunkus BeaverThe WolfmanArikadoB:LJasconiusPreacherdarren66mcdermottKalnaurRenzoBendery It Like BeckhamAtheraalDread Pirate ArbuthnotMongrel Idiot-SPI- 158 votes
No! Leave the snow on! I am a luminous being with a sweet ass PC
72%
DrCongoskyknytLarlarMachwingTube[Tycho?]Robert KhooPenguin IncarnateA duck!BogeySteveRageAegeriJohnHamInvisibleInkIrukaCaptain UltrashadowaneShogunGrifterAshcroft 424 votes

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    How hard is it to convince Vanilla that you are using a mobile browser? Or have an option at the bottom for switching from mobile to desktop?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Turn it off (currently the only off vote -- woo!).

It doesn't personally affect me, but as it's clearly an issue, turn it off and call it a gift or something.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Brody wrote: »
    How hard is it to convince Vanilla that you are using a mobile browser? Or have an option at the bottom for switching from mobile to desktop?

There is an option to switch to the full version of the site. o_O

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I only see it on the main pages of the forum, not when viewing an individual thread. Is that correct?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Shame we can't add a toggle, I'd use the snow year round if possible.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    im cold

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think the snow on the avatars and other things is good enough. If the snow makes it harder for some people to browse the forums, turn it off.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I know it's just a joke but my desktop PC (which can run Crysis 3 with almost maxed settings fluid) has trouble with the snow effect... meaning several seconds lag when logging in. After that it's fine.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• JeixJeix Registered User regular
    If anything we need more particle effects at other times of the year to increase the forums graphics, how bout some falling leaves or pollen? :wink:

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I'm fine with the snow but I wouldn't miss it if it's a problem for other people.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    No. I'm really not a huge fan of lowest common denominator thinking. The majority of users are not having an issue, the users who are should figure out why and fix it. Get a different browser, upgrade your PC, clean your PC out. There is a reason your PC is having issues and no one else's is, we shouldn't punish everyone else for it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    No because I'm on my phone and can't see shit anyway.

e: Get in the holiday spirit, fuckers.

Kaplar on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I voted yes because I'm in australia so I have no emotional attachment to weird white bits floating in the sky.
    It looks nice but if a lot of people are having problems with it *jerks thumb over shoulder*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    E: i'm a dummy. Need to lrn2read

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I like it and always really appreciate when icyliquid and the forum staff do cool things like this, but if it is impeding others from browsing it should probably go.

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    No. I'm really not a huge fan of lowest common denominator thinking. The majority of users are not having an issue, the users who are should figure out why and fix it. Get a different browser, upgrade your PC, clean your PC out. There is a reason your PC is having issues and no one else's is, we shouldn't punish everyone else for it.

This is a reasonable argument if the feature in question provides a substantial benefit, and removing it would diminish the quality of the experience for most people in a meaningful way. Personally, I find the snow to be a minor cosmetic afterthought that I have no attachment to, so I have no problem turning it off even though it's not causing me any problems. I realize other people might feel differently, which is fine, but that's how I see it.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Can you make it fall in a sine wave effect?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

There may be reasons people don't like it other than technical reasons.

Not sure why we are having a discussion to turn this feature on/off for all users; I don't see why there can't be an ON/OFF switch in your user control panel so the individual user can turn it off.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • shepdshepd Registered User regular
    Right-click -> NoScript -> Forbid penny-arcade.com

Problem solved. Site still seems to work fine without it. I'll let my employer know their PC is garbage from the toilet store.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Whats next, holding a vote to not have the Christmas forum?

keep the snow!

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Whats next, holding a vote to not have the Christmas forum?

keep the snow!

I think the Hanukkah forum is due for a reappearance. Or maybe an all new Kwanzaa forum?

• ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    It slows down my browsing on my desktop, so I'd rather have it off. Telling me to eat cake and upgrade for a forum feature which isnt optimized or optional is rude.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Unpopular opinion: I kinda just don't like the effect.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i definitely get the snow causing problems with some PCs. if there was a way to toggle the effect somehow?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I was having issues one day where I couldn't even connect to the forums. Since things have been better, but if others are experiencing the same issues and they can't toggle it off, you are forcing them to be unable to continue to partake in the community until after the holidays.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Snow for the snow god!

Bless your heart.
  • Proxy the ElfProxy the Elf Registered User regular
    Proxy is happy when it snows!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer across the forums since 2009!
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Yes please, it makes me think I'm having migraine aura

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    More snow.

More Christmas lights.

• zwayhowderzwayhowder SydneyRegistered User regular
    My PC can certainly handle snow, but as an Australian it just doesn't feel like Christmas. Can't we get a second theme for downunder that slowly melts your monitor.

Zway
    3DS - 3669-0094-2458 || WiiU/Steam/PSN zwayhowder || XboX lujjan || Untappd zwayhowder
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I have no strong feelings about whether or not the snow stays but I wanted to express my appreciation of these little things.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm kind of curious to what kind of PC is actually having issues with the snow. My 3 year old tablet that only supports Internet Explorer handles it fine and it can't run gmail.

Did this happen last year?

Edit: Ya know what, I bet people who know a lot more about code have already looked into it. Ignore me.

McFlynn on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    shepd wrote: »
    Right-click -> NoScript -> Forbid penny-arcade.com

Problem solved. Site still seems to work fine without it. I'll let my employer know their PC is garbage from the toilet store.

I would have voted to turn it off, not because I dislike the effect or because it slows me down, but because it apparently keeps some people from browsing the forums.

But given there is in fact a way to turn it off on an independent and individual basis, I say keep it on for those of us who don't want to block the script.

joshofalltrades on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Viva le snow!!!!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Let it snow x 3

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    darren66 wrote: »
    Not sure why we are having a discussion to turn this feature on/off for all users; I don't see why there can't be an ON/OFF switch in your user control panel so the individual user can turn it off.

b9u3A3Q.jpg
    Tube wrote: »
    We don't have the resources to add a toggle, but we can turn it off. YOU DECIDE.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    in this particular case it doesn't really matter because the snow can be disabled by adblock

I'm a luminous being with a nice PC when I'm at home, but I still don't really like it /humbug

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

well, stay away from web development then

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

As a person who also suffers migraine with aura, I will side with @Usagi out of solidarity, even though it doesn't affect me. Worse yet would be if it triggers migraine for someone.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »

As a person who also suffers migraine with aura, I will side with @Usagi out of solidarity, even though it doesn't affect me. Worse yet would be if it triggers migraine for someone.

Yeah, if users are suffering physical issues from this, I'd vote to turn it off.

76561197966849367.png