As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

30 Rock

13»

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    oh god....Frank's hat...

I missed that the first time, too.

Oh, that hurts.

What did Frank's hat say? I missed it.

Period

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So I just realized something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfIUGtV61g

The reason why the character is Asian?

Probably because the character's name is "Hu" or some other variation, and they're making a pun on his name.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    So apparently Hannibal Buress used to work on the show.

And the "Bubble" episode from Season 3 has Tracey Morgan imply that Bill Cosby assaulted his grandma in the 1970s.

http://jezebel.com/so-about-that-episode-where-30-rock-called-out-bill-co-1665994930

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Hannibal didn't join the show's writing staff until Season 5 in 2010 (and wasn't even there the full season).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Hannibal didn't join the show's writing staff until Season 5 in 2010 (and wasn't even there the full season).

Yeah, but there's a good chance that these rumors were really common in that circle back then.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Tina Fey (along with Amy Poehler) brought it up on Weekend Update in 2005 when the allegations came out, and even alluded to why no one else was mentioning it at the time:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/12/04/bill_cosby_rape_allegations_tina_fey_brought_them_up_on_saturday_night_live.html

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hannibal Burress also played the recurring homeless guy. Once he puked on Lutz.

• Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    God I miss this show. I mean, there are a ton of comedies I like right now, but none of them are 30 Rock.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, does anyone have a plan to replace Alec Baldwin with Jack Donaghy?

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Now I worry about tornadoes hitting handgun factories.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Bucho wrote: »
    God I miss this show. I mean, there are a ton of comedies I like right now, but none of them are 30 Rock.

I dunno, I think Brooklyn 99 is pretty much there.

They got a black Jack Donaghy and everything!

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    But Donaghy was already black (Irish)

• Options
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of those aforementioned ton of comedies I like but Captain Holt is more the black Ron Swanson than Jack Donaghy. In fact overall Brooklyn Nine-Nine is more Parks and Rec than 30 Rock, which is to say the characters are superlovable and their relationships are adorable but the joke-writing is inconsistent at best. And Andy Samberg, for all his charms, is sure not on the level of Tina Fey as a lead actor. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is woolly comfort comedy while 30 Rock was sniper death squad comedy.

Veep is probably the closest current thing I've seen to 30 Rock when it comes to razor sharp jokes, killer cast and deliciously cynical tone.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Well Brookyln 99 was created by Michael Shur, who in addition to playing Mose on The Office ran Parks and Rec for a long time.

30 Rock was kind of an amazing once in a lifetime TV show.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of those aforementioned ton of comedies I like but Captain Holt is more the black Ron Swanson than Jack Donaghy. In fact overall Brooklyn Nine-Nine is more Parks and Rec than 30 Rock, which is to say the characters are superlovable and their relationships are adorable but the joke-writing is inconsistent at best. And Andy Samberg, for all his charms, is sure not on the level of Tina Fey as a lead actor. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is woolly comfort comedy while 30 Rock was sniper death squad comedy.

Veep is probably the closest current thing I've seen to 30 Rock when it comes to razor sharp jokes, killer cast and deliciously cynical tone.

I wouldn't really call 30 Rock cynical, but it does have a darker tone that makes the sincere moments a lot more meaningful.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I've been binging this on Netflix, since I never watched it.

I'm up to season 5.

"WELCOME, TO MY CHRISTMAS ATTACK ZONE!"

I've noticed something in the later episodes with them taking, "Zany thing happens to X character!?" and just rocking it so GODDAMN hard it's like they ressurected Jimmy Hendrix to play "Mary had a Little Lamb" on Guitar.

And it became the best thing that ever happened to music, ever.

"Liz and Jack get accidently married!?" Really shouldn't have been as good as it was, but it was SO GOOD"

Also, since I'm bingwatching, watching Jenna go from being "Totally not Amy Poehler, but really, she's totally Amy Poehler WHY ISN'T SHE WITH ME!?" to the legit best character on the show that isn't Jack Donaghy has been a real treat

• Options

I wouldn't really call 30 Rock cynical, but it does have a darker tone that makes the sincere moments a lot more meaningful.

Cynical is very probably the wrong word. Like Veep this show definitely had a nasty streak when it comes to its comedic stance on human nature though. Which I love unreservedly. Jenna is one of the best sitcom characters in history.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    it's like they ressurected Jimmy Hendrix to play "Mary had a Little Lamb" on Guitar.

Forget what season it was so I'll spoiler
    But I think Jimmy Hendrickson and Jackie Jormp Jop played that at Woodstocks

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The Rural Juror remains one of the best long gags in TV history.

And then it ended with:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDyjOimInA

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Jenna is one of the best sitcom characters in history.

Genocide. Genocide.
    I'm still not hearing it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The Rural Juror remains one of the best long gags in TV history.

And then it ended with:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDyjOimInA

Actually it ended in the finale with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFlf_Sge06c

Lh96QHG.png