As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should we turn the snow off?

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    No! Leave the snow on! I am a luminous being with a sweet ass PC
    I love the snow effect, definitely want to keep it around.

• misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Some people are reporting problems with the falling snow in our winter theme. We don't have the resources to add a toggle, but we can turn it off. YOU DECIDE.

Of course I didn't read thoroughly enough to see this before I voted. Changing my vote wouldn't matter based on the current divide, but if it's giving people trouble, I actually think turning it off for everyone is the best bet. Just because I can run it doesn't mean everyone can.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    darren66 wrote: »
    I don't see why there can't be an ON/OFF switch in your user control panel so the individual user can turn it off.

Would you like a rough idea of how much custom coding work costs by the hour? The answer may surprise you!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    After some consideration, I would be fine with turning the snowfall off. The winterized header/footer and snow on everyone's avatars is plenty festive already, without interfering with anyone's ability to browse.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    Right-click -> NoScript -> Forbid penny-arcade.com

Problem solved. Site still seems to work fine without it. I'll let my employer know their PC is garbage from the toilet store.

This needs to be brought up again, because if it works, it invalidates the need for the poll

Noscript isn't an ideal solution, it actually costs us money.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Nah. Leave it on. People need to get festive and shit!

Pretty sure this isn't the first time we've had the effect either, right? I feel like I've sen this before.

I always look forward to the whinging about the Christmas Forums every year, and now I can add this to the list too! <3

• shepdshepd Registered User regular
    Yes! Turn the snow off! I have a garbage computer from the toilet store!

:( Really? I'm assuming it's ad revenue or something. Regardless, on my work PC the entire browser basically screeches to a grinding halt and one of the cores pegs at 100% for firefox.exe. So, in the interest of not making my entire browser suck, scripts are off. :)

• PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Let it snow!

PAX_Skeletor on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Typical liberals wanting to turn off the snow. Just another example of the War on Christmas.

• Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    More snow.

More Christmas lights.

Well, we all know which house is @_J_'s:
    1943138_f520.jpg

I'm fine with keeping it on. Most (but not all) in the League of Legends thread that I've played with are quite aware how bad my computer is. I manage to get 30 fps at the start of the game and am usually down to about 10 fps (if I'm lucky) in heavy teamfights.
    My computer is about 7 years old and has a shitty graphics card, but the animation of the snow doesn't slow me down at all that I've seen, so I'm curious how much extra hidden data is included in the snowfall that slows other computers down or maybe there's segments of data that raise red flags in other people's networks.

So does this mean that it is making you money by having it on? Has somebody done the cross-analysis of how much it is making and how much it would cost for the custom coding?
    Would you like a rough idea of how much custom coding work costs by the hour? The answer may surprise you!
    I honestly don't know the prices you're being charged, but if you've done the inquisition, you have a better idea of how much it may be worth for the period of time you plan on using it than any of us answering the poll.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on my system but if it is causing problems for people then it's better to turn it off. Hampering people from using the forum isn't worth the minor aesthetic benefit of having it, cozy as it is.

• Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I do website design and you HAVE to appeal to the lowest settings.
    Heck I still have folks visiting my site using windows xp on Internet explorer 6.
    That said, I'm not sure why you don't just add a switch. Off the top of my head I'd just use:

<?php !isset($_cookie){echo 'snow script.js';} ?>

Then a simple 'snow' or 'no snow' button to set the cookie.

Spectral Swallow on

So does this mean that it is making you money by having it on? Has somebody done the cross-analysis of how much it is making and how much it would cost for the custom coding?

It doesn't make us money to have on, but if users turn off scripts for the entire site the ads on the main page don't run.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    FWIW, there's a function in the snow-making js file that toggles it
    snowStorm.toggleSnow()

What this means is that if you are having issues, you could create a bookmark to stop the snow, you will want to put the following instead of a location:
    javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow()

Now you can click it to toggle on/off the snow.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I don't see why there can't be an ON/OFF switch in your user control panel so the individual user can turn it off.

I'm uh

I'm pretty curious, if it's ok to give a rough idea

dN0T6ur.png
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Is this actually about Tube secretly accumulating a list of Scrooges?

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    In snow we trust.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    It is not Christmas yet, you can't force your spirit on me until the agreed upon times, Tube.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My phone apparently agrees too! It even loves snow effects, since it did this to one of my pictures all on it's own !
    2014-03-01-SNOW.gif

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Keep it. I could understand I'd some are having "Health Issues" for turning it off, but if that is not the case I see no reason for people complain about the PA staff bending over backwards to help make this site an enjoyable experience. Remember folks, the did not have to do anything out of the kindness of their hearts..so uhm, let's stop be in ungrateful little geese on this.

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    Yes please, it makes me think I'm having migraine aura

As a person who also suffers migraine with aura, I will side with @Usagi out of solidarity, even though it doesn't affect me. Worse yet would be if it triggers migraine for someone.

As yet another migraine sufferer (who had one last night) I must throw my vote in with my fellows to disable them.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm not experiencing any performance problems personally, but I'm not a big fan of mandatory website animations. Also if even a small percentage of users are experiencing a problem because of it, that's reason enough for me to think it should be turned off. /shrug

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    No problems using a chrome book....

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    My PC has more fans than an aircraft hanger. MOAR SNOW.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    My PC here at work regularly snarls up and runs like cold molasses, sometimes hanging for up to 5 minutes, and is a regular cause of anger and frustration in my day. Where you might expect the snow to compound this situation, it has made it approximately zero worse (as far as my most sensitive instruments are able to measure).
    I'd quite like it to stick around.

forumsig.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I know it's just a joke but my desktop PC (which can run Crysis 3 with almost maxed settings fluid) has trouble with the snow effect... meaning several seconds lag when logging in. After that it's fine.

Your PC got problems.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Doesn't bother me at all. In fact I hardly even notice it. But if it's causing problems for others then maybe turn it off

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I see messages in the snow. It must stay.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    snowStorm.toggleSnow()

What this means is that if you are having issues, you could create a bookmark to stop the snow, you will want to put the following instead of a location:

This is an excellent solution. Thank you.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    No issues on my end, but I'd rather everyone have a smooth experience.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hopefully it turns into a blizzard on Xmas day, in addition to the holiday forums. Then that other forum can get real mad again. :P

Oh brilliant
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I was going to be nice and vote to turn it off for the benefit of those that are having problems, but i don't have a garbage pc from the toilet store.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I cannot allow the festering nostalgia and nauseating good cheer that these small flakes inoffensively drifting downward inspire.

The War on Christmas must be total. Also, it kinds of lags me. But only a little, which is enough to desire its destruction.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    now that i know some folks are experiencing medical issues from the snow, i wish i could change my vote.

however
    Entaru wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »
    snowStorm.toggleSnow()

This is an excellent solution. Thank you.

this IS an excellent solution and should be stickied. it solves the problem without causing the NoScript issue Tube mentioned nor requires other folks to disable the snow.

i've tried making a shortcut file which should be easily importable to a web browser. you should be able to just drag and drop this into your Bookmarks Manager and/or Bookmarks Bar: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vhrvvt76urgsk1/PA Forums - Toggle Snow.url?dl=0

edit: in IE, you can just drag the above file into the window and it also turns the snow off.

edit 2: downside is, you have to hit the toggle every time you go to a subforum's index page. hrmm.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    If someone can give me easy steps for that toggle I'll put it in an announcement.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I tweaked it a bit and installed a Custom Javascript Injector for chrome so that it just runs the off command for each page load.

I'm sure similar extensions exist for Firefox and IE.

Edit: For the curious some Chrome instructions are added below.

Step one: Install the Custom Javascript for Websites extension in chrome.
    Step two: reload the PA forums website
    Step three: Left click on the new cjs icon next to your address bar
    Step four: Paste "javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow()" into the first line in the text box without the quotes.
    Step five: Hit save
    Step six: Triumph in your snowless existence.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'd like to think I have a decent computer. And while I suffered no ill effects from the snow... it makes my CPU usage jump up almost 40%.

I really did not like that, so I adblocked it off.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

I'm uh

I'm pretty curious, if it's ok to give a rough idea

$100/hour plus; in the case of modifying an existing plugin from an existing eco-system, it causes headaches, because what happens if this plugin updates in the future? You need to do custom code development *all over again*. Touching a plugin like this, with custom code, is never ever worth it, and it's silly to expect the PA Forum staff to do that; they'd be creating extraneous additional future work for themselves.

For the disable:
    Tube, this is my attempt at simple directions.

1. Create a bookmark in your browser with this code instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow()
    2. Go to forums.penny-arcade.com
    3. Click your snow storm bookmark
    4. Problem solved!

Thanks Streever!