As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Ultimate Marvel] thread

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Is that really happening or is it just a promotional poster for Secret Wars?

We don't know for sure whether it's the true end of the Ultimate line.

Signs point to yes though.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

The only Ultimate book left is Ultimate Spider-Man.

• Options

They could only publish one UC book if they wanted.

• Options

They could only publish one UC book if they wanted.

True, though they tried that with 2099 and possibly MC2(?) and those both wound up dying shortly thereafter.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

True, though they tried that with 2099 and possibly MC2(?) and those both wound up dying shortly thereafter.

If you count Spider-girl lasting something like 10 years more or less on its own(after two years as part of a "family of titles") as "shortly".

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Just let USM be its own thing. As the sole remaining Ultimate verse book, it could mean it won't have to suffer anymore universe wide events. Making it part of 616 would have the opposite effect, with events and their aftermath happening all the fucking time.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options

If you count Spider-girl lasting something like 10 years more or less on its own(after two years as part of a "family of titles") as "shortly".

Yeah, I thought I might have had my wires crossed on that one.

• Options
    Just let USM be its own thing. As the sole remaining Ultimate verse book, it could mean it won't have to suffer anymore universe wide events. Making it part of 616 would have the opposite effect, with events and their aftermath happening all the fucking time.

Bendis has the power to veto USM being in any events if he wishes.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    USM is (luckily) not going away for a long time.

Marvel has done a great job as pushing Miles into the mainstream and using him as an example of diversity in comics. It also always seems to be the comic closest to Bendis' heart, so as long as he's important to Marvel he'll get to do whatever he wants with it.

Which reminds me, what's the record of a writer writing a character? Cause Bendis is bound to break that record eventually with USM.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Marvel has done a great job as pushing Miles into the mainstream and using him as an example of diversity in comics. It also always seems to be the comic closest to Bendis' heart, so as long as he's important to Marvel he'll get to do whatever he wants with it.

Which reminds me, what's the record of a writer writing a character? Cause Bendis is bound to break that record eventually with USM.

Eric Larsen just passed writing hi 200th issues of Savage Dragon. Not sure what the over all record is, though.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

Claremont on Uncanny X-Men (1975-1991, around 16 years)

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 came out October of 2000, so Bendis just passed 14 years a little while ago.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So guys, last I read Ultimate Spiderman was where Peter died fighting the Green Goblin.

The stuff with Miles sounds great, but I can't find anywhere that can give me a chronological order of what I should read to get current.

Anyone mind pointing me in the right direction, or a reading list please?

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    So guys, last I read Ultimate Spiderman was where Peter died fighting the Green Goblin.

The stuff with Miles sounds great, but I can't find anywhere that can give me a chronological order of what I should read to get current.

Are you reading by trade or by issue?

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »

Are you reading by trade or by issue?

Hardcover trades and I'd like to stick that if possible.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I think Ultimate Comics: Fallout is included in the death of Spider-man omnibus
    Ultimate Comics Spider-man volumes 1-5 (not to be confused with the earlier run included in the Vol. 12 deluxe hardcover of Ultimate Spider-man)
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-man is the current series, but I don't think it's available as a hardcover

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Yeah all of the Ultimates stuff is going straight to trade now. Well, "all of" being only USM now.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I used like having my trades in hardcover format because it make them feel more durable and formal.

I switched to softcovers, though, because it's easier to carry multiple books around (lighter) and I don't need to remove the dust jacket when ever I want to read the book. I mean the dusk jackets look nice, but god are they annoying while you read.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    I just took all the dust jackets off mine. I prefer hard cover just because they're more durable, and they don't really leave the shelf unless I read one.

• Options
    Just read MM: USM volume 1. Think I'll get the rest in singles. I don't want to wait till May to read volume 2 if Amazon is accurate.

• Options
    Helios127Helios127 Registered User regular
    I really wish they didn't screw over the Ultimate universe.

Ultimates 1 and 2 were great. 3 was okay... but it was leading up to Ultimatum....

BLOB EATS WASP :o

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Helios127 wrote: »

Ultimates 1 and 2 were great. 3 was okay... but it was leading up to Ultimatum....

Which was sad, as he was portrayed sympathetically in USM

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Helios127 wrote: »

Which was sad, as he was portrayed sympathetically in USM

Ultimatum almost single-handedly killed the Ultimate Universe. It's pretty much the textbook example of a big name writer coming into a setting built by dozens of people and lazily wrecking years of work. The only good parts are the Spider-Man sections (especially the scene with JJ Jameson), and I get the feeling that Bendis may have stepped in and ghostwritten them.

• Options
    Ultimatum also had some nice scenes involving Wolverine and Kitty.

• Options
    Wasn't ultimatum supposed to end the ultimate universe and that's why it was so harsh and obsessed with people dying?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Wasn't ultimatum supposed to end the ultimate universe and that's why it was so harsh and obsessed with people dying?

Nah. Bendis explicitly stated before the event even started that Ultimate Spider-Man had years of stories left in it. It was meant as a house-cleaning ahead of a major writer reshuffled (Hickman's Ultimates being the best of the new bunch), but even that was done in a half-hearted manner.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Nah. Bendis explicitly stated before the event even started that Ultimate Spider-Man had years of stories left in it. It was meant as a house-cleaning ahead of a major writer reshuffled (Hickman's Ultimates being the best of the new bunch), but even that was done in a half-hearted manner.

The initial Ultimatum event would have erased the Ultimate Continuity away with the exception of the dead not being alive(or maybe existing). So Ultimatum was going to end the current Ultimate Universe but there would still have been an Ultimate Spider-man.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Sounds like this is probably the actual end of the Ultimate Verse

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58844
    The last question was regarding Ultimate Peter Parker and his recent return. "I knew for a while [that 'Secret Wars' was coming] which was very freeing and allowed me to make a bucket list for the whole universe," said Bendis. "And I wanted to tell the Peter story. I wanted to do the crossover with the X-Men. We've been getting them all done. The story we're telling with Miles Morales will tie into 'Secret Wars' and tie up a lot of really big pieces with the Ultimate chronology. You're going to get legitimate closure with a lot of characters. It's very rare that you get this opportunity to wrap it up. It's like television, when you get a final season. That's how I've been writing 'Miles Morales'... Will you see Peter in 'Ultimate End'? Yes you will."

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    I kinda want to get a Marvel Unlimited Sub and hardline the Ultimate Universe again, like I did years ago, and try and figure out all the mysteries that are unsolved.

• Options
    If by closure Bendis means die/erased, then I'm not looking forward to this story, but I've already mentioned this dozens of times.

Ultimate Spider-man means so much to me. I've been reading it since the first issue and it is the longest comic series I've been reading period.

I'm attached to all the characters, even the villains.

I don't want any main or supporting characters to die just so the main universe can start anew.

I want them to continue to thrive and evolve and be part of new stories in their current universe.

It just seems like a waste.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    If by closure Bendis means die/erased, then I'm not looking forward to this story, but I've already mentioned this dozens of times.

Ultimate Spider-man means so much to me. I've been reading it since the first issue and it is the longest comic series I've been reading period.

I'm attached to all the characters, even the villains.

I don't want any main or supporting characters to die just so the main universe can start anew.

I want them to continue to thrive and evolve and be part of new stories in their current universe.

It just seems like a waste.

They did the same thing to 2099 back in the 90s (I followed it to the end because I'm a huge Doom 2099 fanboy), but Marvel isn't stupid and still cashes in on 2099 characters even nowadays, their massive back catalog is always going to be there for them to milk, they just might keep things off the shelf for awhile. Even Heroes Reborn got a revival

• Options
    I really, really don't want Miles in the 616 or whatever ends up after BattleWorld.

I mean, I absoluetely get why they don't, but in a perfect world it would just stay it's own title ala Spider-Girl.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I really, really don't want Miles in the 616 or whatever ends up after BattleWorld.

I mean, I absoluetely get why they don't, but in a perfect world it would just stay it's own title ala Spider-Girl.

And like Spider-Girl, it would wither away and die. Moving Miles into the 616 world will keep him going. They'll probably invoke a deus ex machine at the end and magically have Miles's supporting cast integrated into the 616 world.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options

And like Spider-Girl, it would wither away and die. Moving Miles into the 616 world will keep him going. They'll probably invoke a deus ex machine at the end and magically have Miles's supporting cast integrated into the 616 world.

I know, that's why I said in a perfect world.

I just think that a big part of Mile's character is that he's THE Spider-man of his world. People watched Peter died and burried him, and he's the one that stepped up to the responsibility.

Marvel doesn't do many legacy characters so it was nice to see it. Throwing him into a world where there's tons of Spider people dilutes that. (Though they're also already diluting Spider-Man as well).

Like I said, I get why this is the best solution, but still wish they didn't have to do it.

• Options

I just think that a big part of Mile's character is that he's THE Spider-man of his world. People watched Peter died and burried him, and he's the one that stepped up to the responsibility.

Marvel doesn't do many legacy characters so it was nice to see it. Throwing him into a world where there's tons of Spider people dilutes that. (Though they're also already diluting Spider-Man as well).

Like I said, I get why this is the best solution, but still wish they didn't have to do it.

Captain Marvel? Ms. Marvel? Hawkeye?

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Captain Marvel? Ms. Marvel? Hawkeye?

Not like that, and not to the literal foundation of the universe, Ultimate Peter Parker.

You can argue that Marvel has done it before, and they have, but not to THAT degree.

I don't think that moving Miles to the 616 isn't a bad thing since it gives him a chance to be exposed to the greater Marvel Universe, I really hope Marvel goes big and semi-retire's Peter(i.e. takes him out of the Spider-Man as the main character and puts him as more of a mentor role, and retains his spot on the Avenger's teams)

I mean, honestly? Peter Parker isn't "Spider-Man" anymore. Every varience of the Spider-Man story has been told, 100 million times, from Peter's point of view. He's done everything Peter Parker has wanted to do, and since Slott finished his masterwork that culminated in Spidey-Ock, he's just been spinning his wheels.

Miles Morales is the real Spider-Man right now.

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Honestly, everytime I hear someone say they think Marvel is getting rid of Peter and putting Miles in the main suit, it kind of irritates me because I grew up with Peter. But the way you explained it really makes sense if they can do it right. We have seen Peter do everything and Miles is definitely awesome, so I'm completely OK with seeing Peter fight every now and again in big battles with the Avengers, and watching Miles grow up and evolve as Spidey. Is that something you hope happens, or has Marvel confirmed it? I haven't really been following this soft "reboot" because I'm getting pretty tired of Marvel/DC hitting the reset button, and they're both doing it again.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    That's weird I have seen nothing anywhere of DC or marvel resetting currently?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Not resetting I suppose, but they are both going through big continuity changes again. I get that that's what happens during big events, but both seem to be making massive changes. Like I said above, I haven't really been following it all that closely so I guess I'm completely wrong.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    The 616 & Ultimate Uni. are combining during battle world, fighting against other multiversal territories in the Secret Wars. Fans expect some kind of massive main marvel universe reboot after the event.

I totally agree about MM as Spidey. I don't see the point of bringing Miles to the 616 universe unless he gets to be the main Spider-Man there, with Peter semi-retired and raising a family.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Honestly, everytime I hear someone say they think Marvel is getting rid of Peter and putting Miles in the main suit, it kind of irritates me because I grew up with Peter. But the way you explained it really makes sense if they can do it right. We have seen Peter do everything and Miles is definitely awesome, so I'm completely OK with seeing Peter fight every now and again in big battles with the Avengers, and watching Miles grow up and evolve as Spidey. Is that something you hope happens, or has Marvel confirmed it? I haven't really been following this soft "reboot" because I'm getting pretty tired of Marvel/DC hitting the reset button, and they're both doing it again.

Marvel has never had a reboot, and still isn't.