As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Official 2015 Challenge Coin Thread] Coin Orders close March 8th.

SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited March 2015 in PAX East
Note: Not Official Penny Arcade Merchandise, this is entirely a community driven project.

Follow this link to order coins!
http://phoenixchallengecoins.com/shop/pax-east-2015-challenge-coins-phoenix-challenge-coins/

Orders close the night of March 8th.
The coins will probably arrive after PAX East if you've not already placed your order.

What's this then?
It's the Pax East 2015 Challenge Coin Thread, obviously!
You're a Goose. Can I just get some details about Challenge Coins and the history behind PAX having them?
Oh, that makes more sense Have Details!
Can I vote on the design or submit my own?
Next time I'm afraid, we're well beyond that step now. This year was more about racing the deadline and just making sure nobody actively hated it.
When can I order some?
Right Now! up until the last day of PAX East (March 8th)
I've never heard of you, why are you in charge of this?
Because Raughn had to bow out from handling it, and asked for a volunteers to take over, and I was the only one dumb enough to stick up my hand.
Why would you do that?
Because it's going to be my first PAX and I wanted a Coin, and A Tankard, and A Badge, and all the other awesome community made things!

Pictures of a coin from the initial run!
6kj6ctwnh97x.jpg
rhnsx3aqud6b.jpg

Picture of the Samples behind the spoiler. (bigger pictures!)
ZKlNzAM.jpg
ah7YDiX.jpg
XFJK7Rm.jpg
OwdOLmQ.jpg
lyg2Du2.jpg

Current Coin Count: 284

The Interest/Signup sheet, no longer required, but I'm going to keep it around, as it's a nice list of names of folk who are interested in the coin, and might want a chance to get in on the ground floor with votes and suggestions for next years coin.
Coin details.
  • 1.75", as per tradition
  • Silver, as per tradition.
  • Smooth Edges, as per tradition.
  • $8 each.

The various iterations of the design.
Final Design.
0LqA9eT.jpg
3D Art of the coin.
dD1647b.jpg
evxkne5.jpg
iv7fdDL.jpg
PC Side
SKbyBt2.jpg
BCEC Side
9S2AqqG.jpg
9S2AqqG.jpg
ZshMnRn.jpg
jXwZGKa.jpg
Thanks to @Mvrck for working on the design!

(Partial) List of People who Donated to help cover the Die Costs.
@Starlyss‌
@Le_Goat‌
@Raughn‌
@vttym‌
@Thunderous_T‌
@caerulean_blue‌
@flashe
@ltgrunt‌
@TopherRocks
@mindflare77‌
@Commander Cain
@Karoneth
@gigabrain
PM Me with your first name and donation amount if you donated and aren't on the list. (Yes, GoFundMe gave me names.)

SutibunRi on

• Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    Greetings to the future attendees of PAX East 2015, of which I am afraid I am not one.

I was last year's project lead for the Challenge Coin, and while I would ordinarily be glad to run the project again regardless of my attendance, I am afraid I'm knee deep in "life events" and can't promise the same commitment this year.

However, I'm glad to answer any questions to help the project along, plus we have some excess money from last year that I can put toward the casting.

I'll flesh this OP out more later today, but for now...

1.) Show interest! A healthy number of people need to be on-board to make something like this happen without it being cost-prohibitive.

2.) Brainstorm on a design. I can't imagine you have more than a couple weeks to finalize one.

3.) Get a project lead. Maybe it's YOU! :)

4.) Reference last year's thread. It should be helpful in a lot of ways. I'm guessing we had some design ideas that didn't quite make it that could get traction this year.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/183064/pax-east-2014-coin-thread-second-run-orders-open-updated-april-5th/p1

Thanks to @SkeleVader for reminding me about this. I really did mean to post this sooner (aaaaaah so much happening).

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Woohoo coin!!!

While I'm not able to take a lead on this, I can't wait to get into the design this year.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    To those that are new to this, here is the history of our community coins, http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin

Per the rotation, it is time for East to have a coin that represents the PC gaming master race.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I'm glad to see this thread start up, I like to give these coins to the group that comes to PAX with me sorta like a "thanks for lowering my hotel cost" gift

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    if someone volunteers to lead the charge, i'd definitely be in.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Raughn, would you be willing to post an outline of what you had to do last year? Stuff like time limits, what company you dealt with, average prices, etc.? I would like to be involved with this but would just like a little more info if possible.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I can throw money at this problem, but not time.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Raughn, would you be willing to post an outline of what you had to do last year? Stuff like time limits, what company you dealt with, average prices, etc.? I would like to be involved with this but would just like a little more info if possible.

Sure thing!

Vendor: http://phoenixchallengecoins.com/

After reviewing last year's e-mails and posts, I'd advise:
    - Reach out to Eric ASAP to get casting/order deadlines for the coin to ship from Phoenix on 2/16/15
    - Eric will likely need an order estimate soon, so start a Google form for forumer commitments ASAP
    - Discuss and finalize a design by 12/10/14, submit to vendor
    - Brief review/revision process built around Eric's deadlines
    - It's likely that at least $270 will be due before minting begins
    - Best if project lead fronts money, then uses gofundme to recoup funds through forum donations
    - Phoenix will open a form for orders based on Eric's deadlines

I have $59.29 from last year's overage that I will submit through donation.

If you need help with quick design ideas, I believe Fenway Park and the BCEC had a lot of support as the landmarks last year. @‌lauren42 is a master at fitting great landmark angles into the coin template.

In the interest of time, I'd advise keeping tradition by representing PC, and settle on a simple, elegant design.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm in for purchasing/voting. No design skills :P Would probably buy about 5 if everyone in my party is still in.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    Can't design anything, but am willing to help otherwise as needed. Will buy about 3 or 4, most likely.

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • Options
    I'm also thinking sticking with the traditional rotation would be a good idea. There was some rumblings/discussion about putting something BCEC related on the coin as it's our 5th year in the facility. Maybe the facade along with a V (roman numeral) for 5?

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I will likely be purchasing more than one, but I can't help with the project other than voting at this time, apologies.

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I would def get one I would suggest going with fenway park as I really liked that idea last year but would go with anything.

• Options
    Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I would be in for 5! I don't have time to be the lead or any design skills but would be happy to assist in other capacities should the need arise.

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I'm creatively useless but thank you so much for getting the ball rolling on this one. I am still partial to the gaming side having Duck Hunt and crossed Zappers idea from last year now that we won't have any concerns about taste.
    I'd be down for 7 this year.

• Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    /u/TopherRocks - Duck Hunt would be awesome, but per rotation, we're on PC gaming this year, so Duck Hunt is out.

I like the Fenway and BCEC ideas. I like Fenway more, but since it's the fifth year for BCEC, that would totally work too. Maybe some sort of "5th year" thing on it? Unless that would look dumb...

• Options
    Hyperion098Hyperion098 Registered User regular
    i would love to get a coin for this year!

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Want two coins; if someone steps up I'm willing to help support them. Not very good creatively, but I'm pretty good w/ the project management aspects.

• Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    PC on one side and BCEC on the other sounds like a plan.

• Options
    I'd be down for a coin as well.
    And since I don't see a Google Doc for Interest/signups,
    I made a very bad one.

• Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    I always try to get a coin every year. One of the best collectables from PAX imho :)

0j92muX.png
  • Options
    A quick count of the thread shows an interest in ~28 coins.
    And after mentioning it to him @Mvrck threw this together in about 5 minutes.
    HnjHp2J.jpg

I also like the thought of the BCEC on the other side.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I would also likely be adding a headset and/or webcam somewhere on there assuming it didn't make things too busy. I'm at work right now and couldn't spare more than literally about 4 minutes between meetings to mock that up. When I get home tonight and have time to sit down and bang out ideas I'll make a much nicer and more detailed version.

Does anyone know what kind of final design file they want? Should it be a 3d obj or fbx, or do they just take a layed PSD or AI file and extrapolate things?

• Options
    Thanks SutibunRi for getting a headcount sheet going!

@Mvrck thanks for a throwing something together to get the creative juices flowing for the forum!

Maybe add a V (for five years) in the middle screen "PAX" and "East" on the others one or some type of concept where the computer screen space sare unitized. Then again PAX V East would look weird, maybe just V....dunno I leave this to the pros

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So, started work. If we want the convention center, that is going to be the super rough outline of it. I'm holding off on doing more detail until I get any feedback at all.

iv7fdDL.jpg

I'll hammer out the monitor setup tomorrow during the day/evening.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Looks like a good start to the BCEC side! I second the idea of doing a V on one of the monitors for this being the 5th year as well.

• Options
    I added the Forum Handles and Quantities requested by everyone in the thread to the spreadsheet, please check out the Google Doc to verify I've not signed you up for 1000 coins by mistake.

Spreadsheet is HERE

• Options
    Looks good basic design and doc!

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    I'll be interested in buying a coin again this year! Good luck with the design.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I managed to get a key piece of information from Raughn regarding how the first batch of coins gets shipped. (to each person, rather than to the project lead for distribution).
    Which was the biggest hurdle to even considering the foolish thing I'm about to do.

With a suggested date of Wednesday to get things to PCC, if nobody else steps forward by Monday night, I'm willing to throw myself under the bus labelled "project lead" despite honestly believing myself to be a poor choice for the role.

If you're not interested in taking on the role, start brainstorming/mocking up images for the PC gaming side of the coin, you have a picture right there, take a few minutes in paint or photoshop, it doesn't need to be pretty, but it'll give people something to vote and comment on, since apparently everyone loves voting on things!

God I hope everything doesn't fall apart if I do end up taking the lead on this.

Edit: I may be overstating my reluctance a little bit.

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    I'm interested in purchasing a few coins. I'll add my name to the spreadsheet :D

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Stoked that this is going again!

I also have a lurker friend who buys 2 each year

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Well, It looks like the silence and two Awesomes have spoken.
    I'll email Eric and get this ball rolling, please bear with me as this is likely to be a bumpy ride.

@Raughn Would you be interested in keeping the OP up to date, or should I check with the mods about a replacement thread?

@flashe @mindflare77 @jdixon1972 you have all offered to help out, I'll need the occasional kick in the butt to keep me focused on the task at hand if I get distracted by such petty things as "Christmas" and "Video Games".

@gigabrain When you said you wanted to get in on the design, did you mean throwing out ideas, or working on possible art? Actually, it doesn't matter, toss us whatever you've got!

Coin details so far.
    • Silver, as per tradition.
    • Smooth Edges, as per tradition.
    • BCEC on the back.
    • PC Gaming on the front, as per the rotation. *

I might have front and back mixed up.. but it's a coin, I don't think it matters which I refer to as the front or back.

Please, feel free to disagree with any of the points listed above IF you have an alternative to offer.

We currently have interest in around 61 coins, I imagine this number will grow in the next few weeks.

*I would have LOVED Duck Hunt to be on the coin I was in charge of, if it was the correct year, I have a Captain N costume!

• Options
    Ok, we got a project lead now just one other reminder/suggestion:

@Raughn has ~ $59(left over from last year) that he said he'll donate once the donation site is setup. As such I'm recommending that we get a few coins for him (add him to the g doc list). Yes I know Raughn won't be able to make it to this particular PAX due to lyfe and what not. @Raughn let us know if you'll be ok with this...don't you want a coin you started a thread for?

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I'm interested in some coins this year. As for pics for inspiration (are we in this phase? If not, apologies):
    BCEC (3/4 angle): bcec.jpg
    BCEC (Front): 1517687-bcec_ex_0001.jpg
    BCEC (Side with signboard, could be good to put a generic "PAX" on the board, since this is something of an icon for the spot, IMHO): tigerBCEC1.jpg

For the PC side, I had thoughts of both the view of a PC gamer's desk, and also of the BYOC area:
    BYOC (Perhaps crop and zoom here since the details would be lost on the coin): paxeast-49.jpg
    PC Desk 1 (Multi monitor): fbc679921de51fa78a9b97a14105175a.jpg
    PC Desk 2 (Single monitor): IMG_3679.jpg

I'd personally like to see headphones added to both Desk shots, but that's just opinion.

Again, if we're beyond this phase, then just enjoy the pretty pictures.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    I really like that third picture of the bcec, the "welcome home" and other messages that appear on that signboard are definitely iconic pax east images.

as for the gaming side, i'm not a PC gamer myself so I don't have especially strong feelings, but it seems like showing just one screen would allow for other details like headphones, or a clearer image ON the screen, without things getting too cluttered.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @SutibunRi‌ make a new thread. I can merge this one into it, and your new OP will become the OP and all the comments will stay put.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    As for the back with the PC screens idea, I was thinking the following. Three screens, three words: PAX East 2015. We can put it all in binary, using ASCII as the base.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    I definitely think a multi-monitor setup as the back would be best. Putting something on the screens would really come down to how much detail Phoenix can put onto the coin, as well as the size of coin we end up choosing.

Along those lines, are we sticking with the 1.75 inch coins?

With it being the 5th year of PAX East at the BCEC can we incorporate something about that onto that side of the coin? Perhaps a roman numeral V?

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    idk personally maybe its just me but the non gaming size just looks like scribble to me haha. Like I cant look at it and go yup that the convention center

This discussion has been closed.