As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should we turn the snow off?

13»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yes! Turn the snow off! I have a garbage computer from the toilet store!
    streever wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    darren66 wrote: »
    I don't see why there can't be an ON/OFF switch in your user control panel so the individual user can turn it off.

Would you like a rough idea of how much custom coding work costs by the hour? The answer may surprise you!

I'm uh

I'm pretty curious, if it's ok to give a rough idea

$100/hour plus; in the case of modifying an existing plugin from an existing eco-system, it causes headaches, because what happens if this plugin updates in the future? You need to do custom code development *all over again*. Touching a plugin like this, with custom code, is never ever worth it, and it's silly to expect the PA Forum staff to do that; they'd be creating extraneous additional future work for themselves.

For the disable:
    Tube, this is my attempt at simple directions.

1. Create a bookmark in your browser with this code instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow()
    2. Go to forums.penny-arcade.com
    3. Click your snow storm bookmark
    4. Problem solved!

Keep in mind this is a somewhat bad solution, you'd have to click it each time you visit a page with snow on it.

You could probably write an adblock routine for PA that would allow PA's advertisement stuff and block the snow, but we'd probably need to know what you don't want us to block.

Edit: though this only addresses chrome/firefox and IE users will be left high and dry, whereas the bookmark one is the easiest and quickest to give access to. Mobile users will also be screwed.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    the snow doesn't occur on the mobile version of the site, so it will only show up on tablets most likely

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    My solution on the previous page turns it off permanently for chrome users without the extra work of writing an ad block script or whatever.

I did a quick check but did not immediately find a similar easy to use plug in for Firefox and IE.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Personally, I'd prefer it off. It works fine on my desktop, but absolutely cripples FireFox on my linux laptop.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    streever wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    darren66 wrote: »
    I don't see why there can't be an ON/OFF switch in your user control panel so the individual user can turn it off.

Would you like a rough idea of how much custom coding work costs by the hour? The answer may surprise you!

I'm uh

I'm pretty curious, if it's ok to give a rough idea

$100/hour plus; in the case of modifying an existing plugin from an existing eco-system, it causes headaches, because what happens if this plugin updates in the future? You need to do custom code development *all over again*. Touching a plugin like this, with custom code, is never ever worth it, and it's silly to expect the PA Forum staff to do that; they'd be creating extraneous additional future work for themselves.

I think I am in love with you, when is a good time for us to be married? I am free tomorrow.

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    No! Leave the snow on! I am a luminous being with a sweet ass PC
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    My PC has more fans than an aircraft hanger. MOAR SNOW.

Head-first, my friend! Let's go!

Hargaad of Omnar on
    Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Hargaad of Omnar

That image is waaaaaaaaaay over the image limit size. And spoilers don't prevent it from loading.

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    @Hargaad of Omnar

That image is waaaaaaaaaay over the image limit size. And spoilers don't prevent it from loading.

Sorry. Fixed it. How might I check any given image in the future to know if it's over 500kb? I went back to The Rules, and it doesn't mention how to check.
    Sadly, this is the one rule on how to not be a dick that I often fail to remember sometimes. Sorry for overloading your computer. :(

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    right-click -> view image info in FireFox
    right-click -> view image properties in IE
    something similar in Chrome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Inspecting the element in Chrome, all it's telling me is that the image is 500x491, which is under the 500kb. I must be missing something.
    *shrug* at least I fixed it for Quid.

• Options

Inspecting the element in Chrome, all it's telling me is that the image is 500x491, which is under the 500kb. I must be missing something.

Dimensions don't equal file size.

e5cj09N.png

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

@Hargaad of Omnar

A forumer made an extension for it!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/image-size-checker/ibldebolelddpaihapagfgepngibilid

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I almost said yes, it can be annoying and I've seen a site or two doing similar things.

Yet....I think considering the time of the year it is I would end up missing it if it vanished.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Dimensions don't equal file size.

e5cj09N.png

Do you use Chrome, @bowen? I chose to leave Firefox and Internet Exploder long ago, but it seems I have just a vanilla version of Chrome.
    @Quid, I boxed that extension and it seems to work, but I am not the most proficient programmer and don't see where to manipulate the limits it explains about setting. Are you familiar with it much?

Also, it's snowing outside!
    7101.White-Star.jpg

• Options
    It should be already set at 499 kb. And either way just right click on an image you're not sure of (basically all gifs) and select check image size.

• Options
    Yeah I use chrome, but I use the extension : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/view-image-info-propertie/jldjjifbpipdmligefcogandjojpdagn

Right click on an image, view image info, it'll give you that little menu I took a screenshot of.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7LW0Y00kE

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    The snow eats up 50-60% of CPU time and my PC is not complete garbage or so I thought.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I have a sweet ass PC and the snow increases my CPU usage by over 15%. It's easy to see how people who haven't spent nearly as much on their computers are having problems with it.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Snow works fine on desktop PCs, but is quite unkind to mobile devices. If it can't be shut off just for mobile user agents, then I can do without the fake weather.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The bookmark snow turn off solution in this thread works fine.

I mostly browse the forums on a laptop I bought in 2007...

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The old laptop I use to browse the forums is pretty much poop with a screen these days (You may know me as "That asshole who bitches about giant GIFs and helped ruin our giant GIF post shenanigans") and it can handle the snow.