As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South [hotels] are live!

• ChoujicosplayerChoujicosplayer Cape Cod, MARegistered User regular
    Not sure where i'll decide to stay since none of my East buddies have decided whether or not to go...may get stuck finding a spot in someone elses room ^^;

Get some cookies, so you can eat 'em and grow up big and strong and kick Piston in the butt-butt.
  • BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    What was the OnPeak nightly rate for the Grand Hyatt? I can't check on the booking site since they've all been booked up, but I'm still curious.

• kyle1193kyle1193 Registered User regular
    BinaryTB wrote: »
    What was the OnPeak nightly rate for the Grand Hyatt? I can't check on the booking site since they've all been booked up, but I'm still curious.

If you click view Nightly Availability it shows the prices of all the hotels.
    The prices were:
    1 Bed- $209
    2 Bed- $234

• SamCiceroSamCicero NYCRegistered User regular
    I shall be staying at the Crockett and hoping to see a ghost.

• jmb83jmb83 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    chellers wrote: »
    We're at the Crockett, too. We Googled and the place looks beautiful. I was wondering why they had inside chairs outside, but then I remembered Texas doesn't do rain. The 13k+ reviews gave a 4.2/5 rating so it's not a dump. Also, google turned up a bunch of "this is a haunted hotel!" pages. Bahahaha. Awesome.

I was at first wondering what you were talking about with the furniture, as it does rain in Texas despite rumors to the contrary, so I looked at the pictures myself. The furniture is actually in an area that is designed to look like the outside as it can be described as a giant sun room, giving it a more open feel. Guess you don't see them too often where you hail from.

jmb83 on
  • embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    During the day the tickets went on sale, I managed to purchase a double bed room at the Drury Plaza Hotel at the San Antonio Riverwalk. I was amazed to see how many were already sold out when I booked the hotel, as it's the first PAX South and it was day one of ticket sales. (But not surprised, because PAX is normally that way at it's other locations anyway.)

The Drury Plaza hotel had amazing deals, though! Only $159 a night. Given it's also close to the convention, looks amazing, and is a 4.5 star hotel (via Google ratings anyway), I am very pleased.

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    During the day the tickets went on sale, I managed to purchase a double bed room at the Drury Plaza Hotel at the San Antonio Riverwalk. I was amazed to see how many were already sold out when I booked the hotel, as it's the first PAX South and it was day one of ticket sales. (But not surprised, because PAX is normally that way at it's other locations anyway.)

The Drury Plaza hotel had amazing deals, though! Only $159 a night. Given it's also close to the convention, looks amazing, and is a 4.5 star hotel (via Google ratings anyway), I am very pleased.

The good thing about this area is that all the hotels are close to the con center and really well-built. PAX South is going to become as difficult to get into in the coming years as Prime and East already are, especially when people see how nice San Antonio is.

• TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Wound up going with the Best Western Plus. It's not on the PAX list, but it's close to the con (across the Interstate) and pretty affordable. The rooms look decent. Big space, small table for gaming, minifridge, etc.

Average was $140/night with free parking/internet after taxes.

Tripleozero on
  • PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    Wound up going with the Best Western Plus. It's not on the PAX list, but it's close to the con (across the Interstate) and pretty affordable. The rooms look decent. Big space, small table for gaming, minifridge, etc.

I just did the same thing, Thursday through Monday. They're suites too, combine that with free parking and it's a great deal.

I just did the same thing, Thursday through Monday. They're suites too, combine that with free parking and it's a great deal.

For whatever reason, Orbitz had a price lower than the price on the Best Western site. I don't usually shill for those sites, but it was about a $25/night difference, so I went that route. Total came out $565.62 for the 4 nights. Now it's time to see how many grown men we can cram into our "two-person" room.

edited August 2014

For whatever reason, Orbitz had a price lower than the price on the Best Western site. I don't usually shill for those sites, but it was about a $25/night difference, so I went that route. Total came out $565.62 for the 4 nights. Now it's time to see how many grown men we can cram into our "two-person" room.

I actually hit $546.34 with my AAA discount on the site itself. It seems YMMV, but it's still cheaper than those listed on the PAX Hotel site with similar proximity. So stoked!

PineappleChuck on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I'd like to suggest that everyone keep checking back on the hotel registration site even after securing a registration. Sometimes better hotels become available when people cancel. I managed to book my entire stay at the hotel attached to the con doing this.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular

Not to brag (Okay, maybe a little) but I hedged and booked there (also through Orbitz) the day before passes went on sale and got Wednesday through Tuesday for an average of $87/night.

If it lives up to the reviews, that might be my go-to place in the future. Sounds like the only ding is the lack of parking space.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

WuShock wrote: »

Not to brag (Okay, maybe a little) but I hedged and booked there (also through Orbitz) the day before passes went on sale and got Wednesday through Tuesday for an average of $87/night.

If it lives up to the reviews, that might be my go-to place in the future. Sounds like the only ding is the lack of parking space.

Lesson learned!

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    For every year I've been at Prime, I stay at the Hyatt at Olive 8 which I love. Any recommendations for a qualifying South hotel that is similar to that experience (and everything else equal, a Hyatt so I can load up on reward points)?

"Perception is reality." -unknown
    Wasn't sure exactly where to leave this, but there's a Groupon going on for the Wyndham River Walk that might be worth checking out: http://gr.pn/10W9NMA

• AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I guess this is the best place to post it. My friend at the Emily Morgan Hotel has provided a discount knowing I have geek friends. It happens to be the closest hotel to the Alamo.
    If anyone will find use of it use the code PAX and it will take 10% the current BAR(Best available) rate.

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Onpeak has started to transfer reservations to hotels as mine for the Hilton Palacio Del Rio is now showing on my Hilton Honors account

zerzhul on
  • Doubleday13Doubleday13 Registered User new member
    I hope the hotels will have tables set up for gaming being the first year and all...I've done the last 2 Pax East's and the hotel gaming is always fun! I'm at the Grand Hyatt bc I wanted to be connected to the convention center for once!

• koleypunchkoleypunch Portland, OR/Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is anyone staying at the Menger? Does your reservation number pull up for you on their site? Mine doesn't locate anything but it's probably too early to panic, as onPeak only just transferred my reservation over it seems.

location! location! bees!
  • BrandobarisBrandobaris SeattleRegistered User regular
    We're staying at the Menger, and nothing pulls up under our reservation number at the Menger's website, but it usually doesn't for us, and we've never had a problem checking into hotels once at PAX.

PSN: Brandobaris
    3DS: 0817-4905-9201
    XBL: Brandobaris
  • koleypunchkoleypunch Portland, OR/Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    We're staying at the Menger, and nothing pulls up under our reservation number at the Menger's website, but it usually doesn't for us, and we've never had a problem checking into hotels once at PAX.
    Neither have I, but I've read about folks who have and I am a huge worry wort. But if you are in the same boat and not worried, I can relax a little.

koleypunch on
    location! location! bees!
  • kyan22kyan22 Tucson,azRegistered User regular
    We got a room at the druery(can't spell) inn. Is that a good place?

• shikaku158shikaku158 Registered User new member
    Any paxers staying at the La Quinta on cesar chavez? Or anyone in the local area no anything about the hotel, ratings or if it's in a good area?

• ironbri1212ironbri1212 Registered User new member
    Anyone else staying at the Embassy Suites? 14 min walk to convention center according to google maps...

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Any Red Roof Inn folks?

This space for rent
  • SpikeguySpikeguy Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Red Roof.

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Just got an email from the Crockett Hotel with someone elses name saying my reservation was cancelled. Dunno if OnPeak mixed up the names or if they did. Waiting to see if my reservation was actually cancelled...

why are you smelling it?
  • kyan22kyan22 Tucson,azRegistered User regular
    skarsol wrote: »
    Just got an email from the Crockett Hotel with someone elses name saying my reservation was cancelled. Dunno if OnPeak mixed up the names or if they did. Waiting to see if my reservation was actually cancelled...
    I would call them.that is crazy!!

• CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Any Red Roof Inn folks?

Thursday night, we will be!

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    They confirmed that the person's name they gave was the one that got cancelled. No clue how they got their emails messed up.

why are you smelling it?
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Not sure if this has been answered in another thread, but going from the San Antonio airport to the hotel (we are at the Menger).... do I just grab a cab or is there a shuttle or something?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Bartoni33Bartoni33 Southern IllinoisRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been answered in another thread, but going from the San Antonio airport to the hotel (we are at the Menger).... do I just grab a cab or is there a shuttle or something?

Here is a shuttle service I plan to use http://www.citytoursinc.com/airport-shuttle

Anyone from SA have any comments on how reliable they are?

• CptFancyPantsCptFancyPants Baltimore, MDRegistered User regular
    Bartoni33 wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »

Here is a shuttle service I plan to use http://www.citytoursinc.com/airport-shuttle

Anyone from SA have any comments on how reliable they are?

I'd be interested to hear what any locals have to say about transportation from the airport to downtown. Our hotel (Hotel Indigo) has a shuttle, but it's $26/person each way. Rather avoid that if possible.

Kinda between a taxi and the bus. The bus is super cheap, but seems to take way longer. Anybody who lives there or has traveled there before, let me know what you think.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Yea, I'd do taxi to get there quick rather than a cheaper bus that takes an hour.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Uber's fare quote from the airport to the riverwalk area is $13-18.. the shuttle is $34 round trip, so I feel as though uber is the way to go here if that quote is accurate. Even if it's slightly more than that due to traffic or whatever, the convenience of getting my ride as soon as I'm ready and not waiting at everyone's stop on the shuttle seems worth the extra few bucks.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• CptFancyPantsCptFancyPants Baltimore, MDRegistered User regular
    zeale wrote: »
    Uber's fare quote from the airport to the riverwalk area is $13-18.. the shuttle is $34 round trip, so I feel as though uber is the way to go here if that quote is accurate. Even if it's slightly more than that due to traffic or whatever, the convenience of getting my ride as soon as I'm ready and not waiting at everyone's stop on the shuttle seems worth the extra few bucks.
    Yeah, but Uber has a bad habit of jacking prices when they know something is going on. A herd of nerds in Deadpool cosplay isn't likely to go unnoticed. :P
    So, I'm not sure how much you can count on their quote.

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    zeale wrote: »
    Yeah, but Uber has a bad habit of jacking prices when they know something is going on. A herd of nerds in Deadpool cosplay isn't likely to go unnoticed. :P
    So, I'm not sure how much you can count on their quote.

Very good point. I'm landing Wednesday afternoon so maybe it won't be bumped up too much at that time, but the trip back on Monday morning very well could be. I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Anyone else staying at the Embassy Suites? 14 min walk to convention center according to google maps...

I stayed there years ago. It is a short walk to the Riverwalk. Follow the Riverwalk along to the convention center. About 15-20 minutes, I'd imagine.

steam_sig.png
  • boopmeowboopmeow Registered User new member
    I'm at Red Roof Thursday through Saturday and hoping people are down for games and what not!